Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

PlushCow posted:

There's still friendly damage in an alliance? You can still just walk up and shoot someone in the face? What benefits do alliances bring then beyond a gold bonus?

Yes. Yes. You can see other ships on the map in your alliance and you can place your voyages on their tables.

Legs Benedict posted:

if you are unlucky enough to wind up on an empty server (which was my friends and i, last night, across 3 login attempts) it is not fun to sail in circles around multiple skeleton ships getting pummeled for an hour and a half and wind up with nothing

like, this game requiring you to group up with strangers for this poo poo is the absolute worst because it puts you completely at the mercy of matchmaking and player population. it's bad and poo poo, sorry

I mean the argument that if you're unlucky and get put on a quiet server on the night when they are most likely to have server issues makes the content boring be abuse you can't do it alone isn't a convincing argument for me sorry.

If you don't like it or whatever then that's your opinion and that's cool, but the ship I was on and the others didn't have any trouble finding other people to do the content with, and honestly this game needs more content thats impossible to do without at least being on a galleon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Kitchner posted:

Yes. Yes. You can see other ships on the map in your alliance and you can place your voyages on their tables.

I mean the argument that if you're unlucky and get put on a quiet server on the night when they are most likely to have server issues makes the content boring be abuse you can't do it alone isn't a convincing argument for me sorry.

If you don't like it or whatever then that's your opinion and that's cool, but the ship I was on and the others didn't have any trouble finding other people to do the content with, and honestly this game needs more content thats impossible to do without at least being on a galleon.

no what i'm saying is that most of the marquee content they've released since launch has required you to team up with people outside of your crew. which is fun for goon shenanigans and generally just loving with people, but when you're at the mercy of their flimsy matchmaking and small server size, it sucks to basically hope that you get lucky and can actually do the event without it being a complete and boring slog

i know that you want to defend this game at every possible opportunity but i just don't understand how you can look at this and go "yeah, this works"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Legs Benedict posted:

no what i'm saying is that most of the marquee content they've released since launch has required you to team up with people outside of your crew. which is fun for goon shenanigans and generally just loving with people, but when you're at the mercy of their flimsy matchmaking and small server size, it sucks to basically hope that you get lucky and can actually do the event without it being a complete and boring slog

i know that you want to defend this game at every possible opportunity but i just don't understand how you can look at this and go "yeah, this works"

It's funny isn't it that when someone has had lots of positive interactions with a game and doesn't agree with you that this is a problem it must be because they are a fan boy and you're obviously objectively right and people can't simply have different opinions.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Kitchner posted:

It's funny isn't it that when someone has had lots of positive interactions with a game and doesn't agree with you that this is a problem it must be because they are a fan boy and you're obviously objectively right and people can't simply have different opinions.

i've also had a lot of positive interactions with this game you dork, i'm talking about game design and not something that i like or don't like. why are you incapable of engaging about this game in good faith?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Don't bother talking to Kitchner. We've all had fun with the game at times but if anyone says anything the slightest bit bad about the game he gets some kind of alert and shows up in the thread .5 minutes later with a pre-written post about why you're wrong and mean and why can't you just appreciate the best game in the world.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like that the game gives you the option of pursuing the story behind the event for some less stressful accommodations, possibly as an alternative to those who have poo poo luck with the skeleton fights. Every alliance I've approached has not wanted another ship involved and blown me apart. They just sit on the spot, take out the skeletons, then move to the next one. It's really unfun and frustrating. But I still have an alternative with the lore related stuff.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Legs Benedict posted:

i've also had a lot of positive interactions with this game you dork, i'm talking about game design and not something that i like or don't like. why are you incapable of engaging about this game in good faith?

I actually responded to your post in good faith, said I disagreed with you, and you responded with "lol fanboy" and now you're whining about me "not engaging in good faith".

How about you just actually engage with the points being discussed instead of getting upset when someone disagrees with you that having content in an open world game which requires teamwork is bad.

A Moose posted:

Don't bother talking to Kitchner. We've all had fun with the game at times but if anyone says anything the slightest bit bad about the game he gets some kind of alert and shows up in the thread .5 minutes later with a pre-written post about why you're wrong and mean and why can't you just appreciate the best game in the world.

No, you see you're not mean and wrong about a game. In your case your mother clearly just fed you bleach as a child to try and induce a post-birth abortion but it's only made you retarded instead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Kitchner posted:

I actually responded to your post in good faith, said I disagreed with you, and you responded with "lol fanboy" and now you're whining about me "not engaging in good faith".

How about you just actually engage with the points being discussed instead of getting upset when someone disagrees with you that having content in an open world game which requires teamwork is bad.

no actually i think i'm good, specifically because...

Kitchner posted:

No, you see you're not mean and wrong about a game. In your case your mother clearly just fed you bleach as a child to try and induce a post-birth abortion but it's only made you retarded instead.

y o w z a

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kitchner posted:

Holy poo poo you need help.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
For each event there's plenty you can do without pursuing alliances or other ships' collaboration, they're not required. Half the thrones, all the exploder stuff apart from the gunpowder, all of Merrick's quest except for summoning meg, and now everything but four commendations (ignoring the cascading ones). It's always enough to buy the cosmetics, though not enough to buy your way to legend. And if you wanna be a completist it makes sense that you are required to engage with all aspects of the game, diplomacy included. Being confronted with random other players has always seemed to be a thing the devs strived for, the whole collaboration thing seems like a deliberate way to bring that element back after crews were given more control over who's on their ship.

I'll grant you that the skeleton ships seem like the least likely thing to be able to clear without help since they're pretty tough, but we almost soloed the entire grog fleet with a galleon crew that was mostly bickering yesterday, and today we saw a well coordinated sloop almost do the same (we allied as they were facing the final ship and they pretty much finished it without us).

It may be worth trying a different time of the day or waiting for the weekend. For me other crews seem to be less friendly in the evening.

Chev fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 2, 2018

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Kitchner posted:

trap... sprung?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it fun to sink a bote

whole server showed up to fight boats, we had a galleon (us), 3 brigs, and a sloop desperately trying not to ram/shoot each other, it owned

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 2, 2018

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

Kitchner posted:

This is just...weird. it's a throwaway pirate game man. There has to be other hills to die on out there in the vast internet.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's anything but throwaway though?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

A Moose posted:

trap... sprung?

Oh, you were only pretending to be a retard in order to trick me into treating you like one? Gotta hand it to you buddy, you did such a good job of convincing me I really fell for it. Props to you.

Prostheticfoot posted:

This is just...weird. it's a throwaway pirate game man. There has to be other hills to die on out there in the vast internet.

If people want to come here and discuss a game that's cool and I will discuss a game.

If people want to come here and just be a arsehole for no reason then they shouldn't act surprised when someone is an arsehole back.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 2, 2018

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
In actual game discussion terms we started to get a feel for how betrayals can go down in this new alliance system.

We were in an alliance with a galleon and a brig, and one of my friends stole a skull from them. They then tried to shoot me as I tried to keg a skeleton ship, so we started fighting the brig mid fight. The other galleon stayed out of it and later we told them the brig had tried to kill me and they bought it.

Sadly the loot spawn bugged so we didnt get most the loot, but the galleon somehow sank on the way back so we turned in most of the loot ourselves.

I think sinking a smaller ship towards the end of the battle and claiming they betrayed you and then finishing off the other shop is a good tactic. The other galleon had also run out of planks whereas we had 30, so I think keeping large sets of supplies is going to be important to these tactics.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah everyone should just be happy that this forum is big enough to get its own Rare plant poster to bump the sot thread whenever it falls off the first page lmao

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Kitchner posted:

In actual game discussion terms we started to get a feel for how betrayals can go down in this new alliance system.

We were in an alliance with a galleon and a brig, and one of my friends stole a skull from them. They then tried to shoot me as I tried to keg a skeleton ship, so we started fighting the brig mid fight. The other galleon stayed out of it and later we told them the brig had tried to kill me and they bought it.

Sadly the loot spawn bugged so we didnt get most the loot, but the galleon somehow sank on the way back so we turned in most of the loot ourselves.

I think sinking a smaller ship towards the end of the battle and claiming they betrayed you and then finishing off the other shop is a good tactic. The other galleon had also run out of planks whereas we had 30, so I think keeping large sets of supplies is going to be important to these tactics.

Betrayal is the name of the game and I’m really hopeful that it becomes an assumed thing to just betray everyone as soon as the fleet is sunk

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Karma Comedian posted:

Betrayal is the name of the game and I’m really hopeful that it becomes an assumed thing to just betray everyone as soon as the fleet is sunk

Take it further: joined an alliance today and an alliance member came aboard and blew up my ship with a gunpowder barrel before we even reached the skeleton point.

This game.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Take it further: joined an alliance today and an alliance member came aboard and blew up my ship with a gunpowder barrel before we even reached the skeleton point.

This game.

Literally the only thing that matters in this game is player kills. Everything else is cosmetic but tears and rage are forever lol. Never cooperate, always sink everyone. Sometimes you can pretend to cooperate because then people will give you stuff!

I wonder if I can bait Kitchner into getting himself banned in the name of defending this video game's honor

A Moose fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 2, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
See, I'm gonna disagree with you right now. There's a big dumb event going on right now that requires some coordination and teamwork to complete. I've yet to even get to the "hahaha, break alliance and kill em all" stage. Since the new stuff released, it's been griefing and trolls from top to bottom. I would like to play the same game that yall have been playing, but so far my luck has been dogshit.

I opened my crew to matchmaker, first person who joins drops my anchor and blows up my only powder keg on my ship before leaving my game. Alliance I was in opened fire on me while we were all restocking because "this isn't fun, let's go do a voyage. Half your treasure or we'll sink you." Then of course there's the dude who blew me up before we even got to the skeletons, or the alliance who didn't want me to join and nuked me from orbit.

Yes, I can get around a lot of this by simply riding with goons. And yes, I plan on doing that more often moving forward. But jesus christ the community for this game leans real hard into plain Jane trolling you see in other games. Completing the quest and then getting stabbed in the back would, comparatively, be a breath of fresh air. It's really just been a disappointing week after getting all excited over new content.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've had alliances go diversely. First one, infighting started when the other crew questioned the repartition of the loot (everything on our ship cause we'd been the ones who'd fished it throughout the fight, hoho) so we killed the guard they'd left on our ship and left the alliance. Most other alliances went well until the latest one where we fought over the loot and each left for a different outpost yet the alliance survived.

I'm a legend now! I have lost all purpose.

Bought the last 10 levels with doubloons. Doing all the events' commendations so far apart from the sloop battle one (and the fleets that haven't emerged yet) and buying all the time limited cosmetics stuff, I ended up with 330 surplus doubloons so I could actually have bought 11 levels if I'd counted right. Even without doubloons the skeleton fleets will level up your reps really fast even in the final levels (I was 49-49-42. Of course the merchant level was lagging behind) but they kinda are a pain to fight apart from the ones at the shores of plenty. A good crew will make short work of them though, and even some bad crews if you can rope them in an alliance as cannonball sponges.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

See, I'm gonna disagree with you right now. There's a big dumb event going on right now that requires some coordination and teamwork to complete. I've yet to even get to the "hahaha, break alliance and kill em all" stage. Since the new stuff released, it's been griefing and trolls from top to bottom. I would like to play the same game that yall have been playing, but so far my luck has been dogshit.

I opened my crew to matchmaker, first person who joins drops my anchor and blows up my only powder keg on my ship before leaving my game. Alliance I was in opened fire on me while we were all restocking because "this isn't fun, let's go do a voyage. Half your treasure or we'll sink you." Then of course there's the dude who blew me up before we even got to the skeletons, or the alliance who didn't want me to join and nuked me from orbit.

Yes, I can get around a lot of this by simply riding with goons. And yes, I plan on doing that more often moving forward. But jesus christ the community for this game leans real hard into plain Jane trolling you see in other games. Completing the quest and then getting stabbed in the back would, comparatively, be a breath of fresh air. It's really just been a disappointing week after getting all excited over new content.

Since everything in this game is cosmetic, nothing really matters and fighting other players is literally the only thing to do.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Sea of Thieves has introduced a myriad of interesting game mechanics and enemies but there will never be anything more entertaining than warring with live users. Its the Sea of Thieves, not the Sea of Explorers or Sea of Monster Hunters.

Right now, for me, its the Sea of Crashing Constantly. Every patch release has been sort of like this, but not as horrendously bad as this, and I hope it resolves soon. My poor 760 used to be able to run the game reliably on Rare, if not Legendary; now I'm getting violent crashes on even Cursed settings. Really hope this doesn't mean its time to retire the old girl, she's sustained me so long through these treacherous years of bitcoin miners.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Graphics card prices are back to normal.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
*normal release prices two years later. Regardless of the experience touching pubstove, I'm having fun. As long as your own ship has goons encountering pubbies is like an expensive meal at a restaurant; sometimes you get an exquisite steak, sometimes you suspect it's chef Boyardee, but 99% of the time it's an interesting experience.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

ive grown very fond of leaving gunpowder barrels right next to peoples ships while theyre docked so they hit them while turning

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Goonfleet action. Managed to snag both a sloop and a brig for goons tonight, so we were most of the server.

Also I like this shot.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

might try to get in on the goon action at some point since it seems like y'all have way better server luck than me and my friends :|

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

do it, get in the discord

we have our slow nights but generally we're not above relocating to new servers just to find nerds to sink. Also we're gaming the new Alliance system by adding everyone on the server and then hunting them down later since they show up on the map

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
We just joined two ships and formed an alliance, grabbed a load of loot, and then they managed to betray us while we were being attacked by the Meg. We managed to catch up with them but we got unlucky as I got knocked off the ship by a fluke cannonball and two of them got on board and hosed with our ship till it sank.

I wouldn't be bothered about that, apart from the fact they were French.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
After that my next crew got into an alliance with two other partly french crews (a brig and a sloop, later joined by another less nationally identified sloop that just kept ramming into us). We managed to get the loot the first time, but on the second the brig got the chests and one skull and sold everything before we could catch up. The sloop crew was super chill though, they didn't mind our attempts to swindle them. I'd hoped to get those ships for a goon fleet but that didn't pan out. Maybe next time!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
What's becoming clear is that you can't trust the French

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
The new Skeleton Crews added with cursed sails are pretty profitable (if you get the special treasure off of the last ship containing the captain) and fun to fight.

...Except the Dancing Demon crew. They are shadow skeletons (so light or lanterns are mandatory and fighting them at night is a pain in the rear end). Their cursed cannon balls force everyone around the place it hits to dance for what feels like an eternity. Not only that, if you get hit by another one while your dancing, it resets the dancing time. So you can have your entire crew dancing while your ship slowly fills with water and sinks right under you.

Also, these encounters are hard to do on a solo ship since there's often two skeleton ship active with 4 cannons on each side. That's alot of cannon balls. Also the Megalodon loves to interfere and attack either your ships or the skeleton's.

Can't wait to see next week's 3 skeleton crews. This week had cursed cannon balls that locked the wheel of your ship, one that forces you to dance and one that made you instantly drunk and puking (making bailing hard since your bucket gets filled every time you barf with it out). Some predicted effects i've seen : one that breaks your leg (like when you fall from too high), one that forces you to sleep, one that raises your sails or maybe drops your anchor?

Anyway, there's lots of potential out there for sneaky crews that can ambush ships trying to come back with the Fort-level loot that comes out of the skeleton captain's ship. They will probably be very low on supplies.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Cyberdud posted:

The new Skeleton Crews added with cursed sails are pretty profitable (if you get the special treasure off of the last ship containing the captain) and fun to fight.

...Except the Dancing Demon crew. They are shadow skeletons (so light or lanterns are mandatory and fighting them at night is a pain in the rear end). Their cursed cannon balls force everyone around the place it hits to dance for what feels like an eternity. Not only that, if you get hit by another one while your dancing, it resets the dancing time. So you can have your entire crew dancing while your ship slowly fills with water and sinks right under you.

Yeah getting nailed by a Megalodon and then immediately getting pegged with dancing cannonballs so you can't repair despite having plenty of people and supplies is very depressing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
On the other hand imagine how awesome it will be to use them on other players

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So as of today's patch there should be a new set of ships and they will rotate the dates that they appear, meaning no more staying up to 1am just to kill all the ships.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kitchner posted:

So as of today's patch there should be a new set of ships and they will rotate the dates that they appear, meaning no more staying up to 1am just to kill all the ships.

Oh thank gently caress. Three times now a couple of friends and I tried it, and every single time we ended up with the drat puke ship near Shark Cove.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
After four 3 hour attemps (stocking up the ship + gunpowder barrels is a bitch), We finally killed the dancing demon crew at like 7:20PM EST yesterday with 40 minutes to spare. That was the last time they would show up forever.

And we were also able to do it in an alliance with the right sails so we knocked out that achievement as well. We were also able to make it out with most of the fort-level chests and skulls even though the event restarted while we were putting poo poo on board.

Luckily a Galleon showed up too late and kept the skeleton crew busy while we ran away with the loot.

I'm curious to see what bullshit they are going to throw at us this week. The good news is that the patch will make our lives easier with these encounters. The supply barrels that float around the battlefield stay afloat longer. The captain's treasures as well. The event will also take longer to reset, allowing people to actually be able to loot the floating skulls/chests before getting gangbanged by 2 skeleton ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The new cannonballs are as follows:

The Treacherous Bounty: Stops players from being able to access supply barrels in the ship until the effect ends.

The Fools Stride: Breaks your legs until the effect ends.

The Enslaving Chain: Drops your anchor and you can't raise it until the effect ends.