Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
From some of the 1 star reviews this sounds like a Griefer's paradise, so Im in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Played last night with (Kedrick?), we were both immensely confused by what was going on, but once we found someone who was distracted by a raid, it was quite fun sailing up, dropping anchor on their stern and sinking their ship. They kept asking us why we were shooting at them, apparently they were unfamiliar with the definition of "pirate".

Seems like a really well oiled crew can absolutely slaughter in this, if you have someone reefing and lowering sails and someone constantly adjusting their trim while communicating with the helmsman.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
This is probably a buy for me, though I would say if you don't have friends also getting this game, or like playing solo, you should probably skip this game. It's kind of "Elite Dangerous" with friends, in that there isn't a ton of depth and you have to make your own fun. Considering the amount of fun I had in GTA Online just driving around and killing people while completely ignoring the core gameplay, I'm fine with that.

Also, crossplay seemed to work just fine in the Beta which is pretty cool, so it doesn't matter if your friends have it on PC or xbox, everyone should be able to team up.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

wintrrmute posted:

or join the bone krew slack

discord is a haven for racist betas. this is canon

haven't been in the discord since the last Beta, but has this really been a problem?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Gunder posted:

I became the rear end in a top hat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djp-T7JHAzM

(This was just some random person I met at an outpost.)

We have similar playstyles!

I'll pay for gamepass for a month I think. If the playerbase dies out by then, its $20 well spent.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Turns out you don't need to have cannon balls to sink the guys raiding the skeleton fort, just sail in circles around the island while your crew fires itself over to their boat to kill everyone aboard, steal all their supplies, then finally swim an explosive barrel over for the coup de grace. Repeat 15 or so times on the same dumb crew and you have how we spent the last 3 hours. I love this game.

More good ideas from the SoT forums:

MikotoTheHermit posted:

So i random joined a 4 man galleon and they just completed a skeleton fort and i helped carry the stuff, the whole time they said i'm toxic for joining in at that moment and not before, they lock me in the brig and i tell them where the stuff i was carrying went, and they crash the ship and fill it with just enough water to constantly drown me.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Speaking as someone who hates story in games, and never does quests (tried like 5 minutes total of GTA V single player before going full PVP), I am thoroughly enjoying this game and think it is great fun.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

BadSamaritan posted:

long boring story about not stabbing pubbies in the back

wtf is this poo poo?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

AirRaid posted:

Are... are you okay man? You need a moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxrWwVtr2iw

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kitchner posted:

After some discord goons and I killed a couple of sloops, fought off a bunch of galleons at a skeleton fort with a pubbie in the brig, all we got for the rest of the evening was bad luck.

Firstly we chased a galleon to the edge of the map until they turned into us, but our ramming angle was off or there was a weird physics thing or something and basically instead of hitting their ship and stopping we hit, slid around the front, and went full speed off the map. Since I was the only one on the ship I hit the anchor while turning hard to port which spun us around and prevented us going further. As I was raising the anchor though the ship started taking damage, and since I was the only one on our ship I had to then drop the anchor and start bailing waiting for the others. When the others came back two were bailing while I raised the anchor, we nearly had it and then the pubbies from the galleon hit us with a gunpowder barrel and we were hosed.

Then we went to ram a galleon but they actually had the foresight to just raise their sails and turn their broadside to us, we thought we would get away with ramming them but when everyone else jumped over and I went to repair I found we had tons of damage. The others couldn't get back to the ship in time so we sunk, but then we all went onto the enemy ship and kept them boarded until they sunk. We fished a bunch of loot out of the water and dropped it on the beach and came back for it.

Will have to reconsider how to deal with galleons who just turn on the spot, it's a tactic i use a lot and it never ends well for those attacking us, so I need to think about who came closest and why. I have a feeling launching people over to the galleon to drop the anchor before we approach or to force them to move may be the answer.

Basically we just need to keep at least one person on repair while no more than 2 board. I totally get the 3 person board to overwhelm them tactic, but you don't leave any margin for error. If the guy steering the ship gets killed or knocked off, or just overwhelmed repairing, it's game over. Whereas in crews I've been in where there was one dedicated repairer per engagement, we rarely sink.

2 is plenty to board, pubbies are trash and have enough trouble with one guy.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 24, 2018

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I posted this in the discord but it's too good not to post here. He made a whiny post in the SoT forum about being trolled on Reddit after he posted this video. He takes himself sooooo seriously in the video narration that I really thought it was satire at first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-BcgIx41Mc

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://clips.twitch.tv/SmoggyEnjoyableSquidSMOrc

Any game that allows you to collect this level of salt is the game for me.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I hope it's just skeletons with fish scales.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Liquid Communism posted:

I got done setting up to be able to broadcast from my PC instead of my mic today.

Crews are probably going to want to mute me, because once I have a speaking horn, pubbies are gonna be treated to musical interludes during attacks. :pirate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHkjPCGXKQ

If this isn't playing as we're headed in for a ram, you're a failure.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kitchner posted:

I think the best bit is all these pubbies that think he Pirate Code means "only engage in consensual PvP" despite the fact it never mentions that, and in fact article 3 is that disputes shall be "settled on the waves" using PvP.

This is why for a while I began shouting "I declare us in dispute under article 3 of the pirate code" as we attacked enemy ships.

I've just started repeating "friendly" when I board. Always confuses them for a second.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Liquid Communism posted:

If flying the rainbow flag makes pubbies angry, it is nearly mandatory.

As is playing The Village People from the speaking trumpet as we descend on them.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sea of Tears forum posted:

O.k... RARE has made a call here... Fair enough... are you going to continue with non-game related content that is irrelevant to the context of the game... I paid to play pirates not politics... I need to know if I need to move on and find another game for my family and friends to enjoy without controversial issues... Again asking for A statement from a RARE employee... Thank you

Am I the only one who is tired of this liberal society destroying our country? Why do we have to let it enter our games too? GET RID OF THE RAINBOW FLAG!!! their is no reason to support g**s in a pirate game or any other games for that reason. This is one of my favorite games for many reasons, so please don't ruin it.

Hey, everyone. Good evening. Since Rare have jumped into sexual identity politics, I figure they want us openly discussing sexual preference.

I'm happily taken by a gorgeous female. I'm a male.

Basically by adding one flag they've breathed new life into this game for us.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cyberdud posted:

Summit1g, a "popular" Twitch streamer fell in love with the game around a month ago and has been going on stupid capers to try to steal as many Athena chests as possible. They are actively hunting / stalking people on Gilded Athena Voyages and have had some success. (My favorite is him hiding in their captain's quarter where they proceed to put all 3 athena chests from the gilded voyage. He then proceeds to load them aboard their own rowboat and leaving with it.)

This seems to have brought more eyes on the game and an increase in people using the eye of reach / pistol combo like him. With it, they can kill someone in 1 second by shooting both guns in very quick succession. Summit used to play CS professionally so his aim is pretty disgusting and seeing him face Xbox players is pretty sad.

Glad Sea of Thieves is gaining steam, might have to come back to it at some point.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
You were a beautiful game Sea of Thieves, but Arena mode will kill the last of the joy.

It's less fun attacking people who are actively seeking combat, more fun trying to steal from people who care desperately for their gold so they can play Pirate Barbie.

Same reason I'd never fly the Reaper's Mark. Why would I want to show people where Im at so they could avoid me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Groovelord Neato posted:

Just faced the biggest cowards ever. Looted my ship while I was on a quest (fair) and I double killed them but my boat had sunk so I had no way to do any damage to them. So I come back after hiding on the island and I hear over voice "Oh he's not friendly" which yeah idiot you just sank my boat with a ton of loot on it. I fight em and eventually die respawn a few islands away. I figure they're going to the outpost near where I was questing and see a totally different boat hanging out there. I tossed a fire bomb before I noticed and said sorry wrong boat.

Someone in chat says "oh ok np" and it was one of the two that sank me. They swapped all the poo poo on their boat out to hide from me. They ran when I realized it and I'm immediately stopped by a kraken when I get on their tail. THEN they turn around when I'm almost finished with the kraken and fire on me.

that is hilarious, makes me want to play again