Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm so excited there's a Sea of Thieves thread!!! I've been playing this game *way* too much during Covid and most of my regular friend group is utterly uninterested :-(

Reiley posted:

Had a galleon battle with a crew who kept trying to swim gunpowder barrels onto our ship when we got close together. I saw one jump in so I jumped in the water near them, and after two other misses managed to shoot the gunpowder barrel in the man's hands right against the starboard hull of their ship. I climbed up the rope latter on the port side and killed the other three on the anchor capstain with my cutlass, and rode the deck underwater before reuniting with my crew. This game is incredible.

e: the Flintlock has become my favorite sidearm, once you can aim with it it's really quick and versatile.

I've stopped carrying kegs because I've found that they tend to damage my own ship as often as I successfully use them against an enemy. I love finding them on other folk's ships though...

Flintlock is my go to too, but a blunderbuss is occasionally nice for fighting skeletons or repelling boarders. You *really* don't want to get stuck in the water with the cutlass and a blunderbuss though.

I had a glorious encounter this weekend, while doing one of the new merchant missions: I was on a duo sloop with a random person off discord, and as we pulled up on our shipwreck we saw a galleon with a grade 5 gold hoarders emissary flag fighting a skeleton galleon. As we started looting the shipwreck, the player galleon sunk the skeleton, and stopped to pick up the loot. I noticed that the galleon was also flying an alliance flag so, figuring it was a nice symbol of peaceful intent, I joined their alliance.

We continued to unload, but eventually I heard a swimmer in the water, and heard someone coming up the ladder. I killed the boarder, and said something like "talk first" and went back to looting the shipwreck. This probably pissed off the galleon, so once they finished looting their kill they did a sail by and threw firebombs and took some cannon shots. We got into a relatively short battle, but my crewmate was able to get aboard to prevent repairs and I hit them with a ballast ball and we managed to take them down. They ended up having 30+ captain's chests, which makes me think that they were either doing a gilded gold hoarders voyage or emissary quests. Regardless, seeing all that loot pop up after sinking a galleon as a sloop made my heart absolutely sing :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Oh drat, I love it when that happens - then comes the race to the nearest outpost before they can come back to get you! :D (Out of curiosity, did you stay in the alliance when you sold it all, or did you leave it, so they didn't get a cut at all? haha)

They disbanded the alliance after shooting at us, so nothing for them! Although I would've probably left anyway, because I wouldn't want to be on their map after that. Serves them right for underestimating sloops!

Reiley posted:

There's an achievement you get for hauling 20 chests on board at once. My crew is all reknown 25-30 range and one of our members keeps insisting on doing this, with how many chests our current voyages actually give this keeps feeling like a bad idea and we keep having to tell him, not yet. Wait until we are stronger.

e: Someone flying reaper's sank our brig earlier while we were docked in port. We weren't sure if they'd be friendly or not since we didn't notice the reaper flag so I was swimming around the other side of the island with a gunpowder keg. My crewmate said they sank our ship as I was going underneath theirs, and released the barrel intent on shooting it, but it blew up on contact so I died too but lesson learned on deploying sea mines. We respawned nearby and sailed back to that outpost and caught them sailing away, and sank them in a battle where it was apparent they were the more experienced crew. A megalodon spawned during that fight so we had to sail away and lose it before tracing the dotted line on our map back to recover the spoils. We took their chests and started sailing east to a different outpost just as their ship was returning on the horizon. One of our crew jumped off the brig at Reaper's Hideout to turn in their reaper flag and make them think we docked there. The next outpost we passed also had a ship docked so we sailed all the way out to the volcano island and then, 15 minutes later, began selling their chests, hoping they were getting the popup notifications.

Maybe that was it... it was odd that they were all captain's chests though. That's what made me think emissary or gilded.

Awesome story. I'll bet your heart was racing like crazy while you loaded everything on board before they got back.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Reiley posted:

How does PvP on a solo sloop work against any sort of multiple-person crew? It seems hard to steer, bail, repair and fire the cannons all by yourself. I fought a kraken on a solo sloop and got away but it felt like it was generously waiting for me while I went below deck to bail and plug holes, which I don't imagine other players will do.

As a solo slooper in combat, it is *critical* that you not get knocked off your ship. Stay on board until you really think boarding is the best option. Do not get boarded. Do not get shot off. Never stop, always keep moving.

Second: assess the abilities of your opponent. If they're worse than you you might be able to make it work. I've sunk galleons solo slooping, but it's when you see stupid poo poo like 3 people in the water swimming for you after you've shot them up that you might have a chance.

Third: discretion is the better part of valor, don't be afraid to run. Sloops are the fastest ship directly into the wind, so go dummy sails and sail upwind if you have to. There's also sailing into the red sea as a spite suicide, if it really comes to that. You're also way more manuverable. Go slollom shipwreck bay.

Finally: one thing I've done in combat as a solo slooper is call for help. Hop on the SoT discord looking for crew page and say "I'm a solo sloop being attacked by a galleon, does anyone good at pvp want to fight?". You'll probably get someone. Hell, you might get me :-)

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 1, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Reiley posted:

That's a good writeup and about what I suspected, thanks! The "don't get hit" principle in action.

You can run downstairs rather than sit on the wheel at risk of being knocked off. Solo sloop combat is hard though.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sekhmnet posted:

Like Fuzzlewhack said, blunder bombs. Fire is extremely over-rated as a boarding technique, it takes forever to sink a ship with fire and the attrition damage will affect you as much as the enemy crew. But launching a bunny hopper and their sword off board with a lil kablooey bomb is never not satisfying. I almost never carry fire bombs now, if I need one, they'll probably have them in their barrels.

I'm liking blunder bombs more these days too. Main purpose of fire is to feel like you did something if you miss a board

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Thief posted:

you can ignore it for a while and it won't even phaze veteran players much but fire is very good for causing confusion and the slow creeping burn effect of damage over time can really add up if left unattended

at higher levels of pvp fire ends up being used for stuff like hindering the use/repair of various ship parts. also fwiw i'm pretty sure fire triggers explosives so you can use it in 420iq plays :goofy:

blunderbombs rule but sometimes i take a single firepot

also lol at watching open crews walk into each other while on fire and just spreading it around while 1 person pumps the water barrel

A fire bomb to the mast will blow kegs in the crow's nest. And a fire on the wheel will hamper steering

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Reiley posted:

Do cursed cannonball effects stack or does one new effect override the previous one? Like can you sleep&grogball someone and then ballastball them?

Yes, because sleep/grog affects players and ballast affects ships.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Was solo slooping last night, flying the rainbow flag, and ran across a duo sloop at Daggertooth in what looked like a new spawn position. I didn't want to sink a new spawn, so I cannoned over to check it out.

Turns out, not a new spawn, but a couple of what sounded like kids selling a pile of skulls. Not a whole lot of loot, not worth fighting over, so i said bye and was about to leave when one of them one blunders me and calls me a human being. Nice.

So after I got back from the ferry we fought, and after a long fight I managed to sink them, and tell them off for the slur as they sank, so all's well that ends well I guess. But I was still pretty pissed off afterwards.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Does anyone want to play? I usually solo or play with discord random. It'd be nice to meet other pirates

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Merijn posted:

Join the Goon Discord mate :) we're fun! https://discord.gg/QxX37bZF

Oh holy poo poo you just made my night.

It's already late tonight, but I'm definitely going to hit this up tomorrow or this weekend :-)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Kind of a basic question, but is there something my team can do other than buying levels with doubloons to make the 45-50 grind faster?

After doing three Order of Souls missions and half of their emissary mission (we just ran out of time in real life) I felt like I barely got a third of a level.

Not really, if you're taking advantage of the emissary system.

I found ghost fleets pretty lucrative for OOS

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Merijn posted:

You're extremely lucky. I've been playing for over 2 years and I have never, ever ran into people with such good sportsmanship. :aaa:

I'm a bit sour on the game right now, because the latest update added a surprise achievement (I like xbox achievements) that requires 8 people to unlock. There is absolutely no way in hell I'll ever get that done on a normal server, so now I gotat go shop around on alliance servers and hope to find enough space/people. And I feel kinda bad about this since the achievement revolves around a memorialized deceased Rare employee, and supposedly it's really beautiful.

Do you need to do prep beforehand, or can you just go do it?

Might be able to coordinate it on Discord

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've had good luck getting on the same server with a buddy in 5 tries or less. Count down when hitting the 'Set Sail' button but account for who's got the faster rig. I've heard that being in the same geographical region is also necessary.

Yeah, servers are by region. Could get around that with a VPN

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

My friends just got Pirate Legend (I’m level 49 merchants :geno:) but I have to say I’ve been really unimpressed with Athena’s quest.

Haul your rear end across the map doing all three of the quests you’ve done tons of times before and get less money for it. The emissary flag also doesn’t increase unless you pick up Athena’s loot, which is like 1 in 10.

Am I missing something?

Nope.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Come join the discord! There are a few of us playing very regularly

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PerOlus posted:

In my group we glide between roles depending on what happens from moment to moment.

That's what my group does too. There's one guy who's better at driving, but typically whoever is most motivated will drive until we're going into a fight. Then it's battle stations and he's on the wheel, at least to start.

It's really important to keep talking and reporting status. That allows more flexibility than fixed roles. "How're we on repairs?" "Where are they now?" etc.

But, in general, the person on the wheel calls the orders (sails, anchor, etc)

Here's an example of a pretty tight combat situation with us all flipping roles, if you can stand a 6 minute video https://youtu.be/q-zK-HoVyZM

BlackIronHeart posted:

This game really doesn't lend itself well to decisions by committee or people doing what 'feels right' as you'll eventually have 1 guy on a galleon after the other 3 dive into the water to board a ship or somesuch tragedy.

This is very true about boarding. In the video I posted I chide someone for doing that. Something like "I see you're in the water"

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 7, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Soooo I'm thinking about picking this up. I've seen a few people recently posting about maybe wanting to get into it to but not having a lot of time. Don't know if any of them are still reading this thread, but if you want to give it a go I'm willing. Pretty much just looking for some fun co-op a few times a week.

Join the discord in the op.

The general Sea of Thieves discord isn't bad either.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

You can cancel weapon animations. The people who can do that and hit their shots are insane.i run into them in arena sometimes

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

After finally reaching legendary status, I decided on a whim to seek out the Glitter Beard journals, thinking it'd be an easy way to get a more interesting cannon flair. After spending a couple days tracking nearly all of them down, I realize the last one is in a secret area only accessible with 8 cooperating pirates, which seems like a daunting task. So, if anyone successfully gets a couple of galleons aligned, needs one more crew member, and doesn't mind helping me out, feel free to message me on Discord. Not sure how else I would manage it.

I'd be down. Do I need all the journals to do the last one?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Merijn posted:

Nope, you can collect them in any order. I'm down if you need one more.

In my experience, it's hard to get 8 people together - and even harder to get enough in the same geographical location so you can land on the same server after hopping a few times.

The alliance server people use VPNs

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

While this is true, you can already name your pets. I don't see why boats are that much different. They already have a word filter in place to keep it clean-ish too.

Welcome aboard the good ship "TDM at the fort says aye"!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sekhmnet posted:

The different ships play differently, thats for sure. The four cannons can be deadly if you're all hitting and mixing in some blunderbombs to keep them off repairs; but, if all four of you are on cannons you might not hear the one guy board and murder you all. My favorite is when people approach on the broadsides and just get splintered trying to ram.

In a battle; only repair the lower deck(and get ready to bail if your top deck is swiss cheese in case they ballast bomb you). You can toss water out the wooden mesh over the ship's map at the right angle, good to practice that. One thing I've seen people do lately is have 1 or 2 of the cannons on each side pre-loaded and designated for chain shot while you keep at least 1 cannon on each side free for yeeting yourself. Usually there is somebody on the wheel and somebody doing repairs so most often only 2 ppl are firing the cannons at once anyway.

In our crew the person babysitting would also be cooking up any pvp food, organizing the supply crates top deck and sorting the loot/packing stuff into collectors chests. Its also a good job for when you just finished your bong rips since all you really need to do is scan the horizon every few and be ready to drop sail and try to evade while you wait for everyone to mermaid back.

Boy this sounds *awfully* familiar.

I don't like pre-loaded cannons though: which one needs chains depends on the position of the ships. The answer isn't always the same. The only time pre-loaded cannons make sense to me is Meg hunting.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

TheStampede posted:

The Plundering 'poon

Thread over, this is obviously the best name.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

It's right in the game's Pirate Code:

Article 6 - Respect New Pirates and Their Voyage Ahead

May the old legends help to forge new ones: treat new pirates with respect and share your knowledge.

Of course, Article 3 is "Disputes are settled upon the waves".

I took this to mean that people are immune to attack at the outposts, and a few days later discovered (the hard way) that this absolutely is not true.

Yeah, I think it means "within the game"

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I found the first one a bit lame, but we did rush through it since half the crew had done it before.

The second one glitched out for us, which really sucked. What looks like the final area just... never opened.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Zesty posted:

There's at least 8 of us in the Apex Legends goon discord who picked up Sea of Thieves recently. Been having a good time with it. Most of us learning from scratch.

Join the sea of goons discord server! There's a link in the OP

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

We manage to raise the anchor and get slowly moving before he's on us.

This is why you don't leave your anchor down unless you're in a storm that's spinning the boat.

Sails up, ship pointed away from the island. That way one person can drop all sails and get moving really quickly.

I do (or at least, did) a lot of solo slooping and this gets completely ingrained after a few bad experiences. Have an escape route, and an eye on the horizon.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 12, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Every emissary goes up on megs and skelly ships, fwiw as helpful info.

Except Reapers, I believe

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Reapers go up from the treasure I think -- really any treasure

Yes, but not for sinking skeleton ships. Not sure for megs.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

fallingdownjoe posted:

In my experience, you can normally do a skeleton fleet (ship cloud) without being bothered - my crew and I normally do them as a chill experience and a good chance to get some target practice in. Plus you get a few storage crates from them, so they’re a good way to start a session!

... I love attacking ships that have just finished these events, or are in the middle of them :-P

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Raposa posted:

Generally speaking the people setting up alliance servers do so by initially getting a couple ships on the same server, either by server hopping or by getting someone to give them their ship. Then they use their 2 ship superior firepower to roll around, bullying the other ships into joining by spawncamping them til they leave the server if they refuse.

This is generally regarded as a dick move.

Not really, no. The regular alliance servers do it by server hopping with a big group using VPNs to get in the same region

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I think it's also worth pointing out the lovely direct player to player combat is a big issue since like....most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether.

That really isn't true. Boarding is necessary a lot of the time, but I'd argue that the naval combat is more important than hand to hand.

PvE servers that aren't really limited (like, no progression) kill the PvP side of the game. Why would anyone be a target if they didn't have to be? You might think that's great but, to me at least, this would be a far worse game if I didn't have to be constantly listening, and scanning the horizon.

This guy nails it, I think: https://youtu.be/didppikSbNQ

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

So how can can everyone be so vocal about how awesome the game is the way it is, when all it takes is an option for them to admit they would use passive mode?

I don't think the people asking for a passive mode are the same ones saying that the game is awesome as it is.

If you think that's what I'm saying you're very much mistaken

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

That's exactly it, so what you said makes no sense.

Literally the point for the people asking, like me. I'm not asking to change the economy, make different quests, or anything else, just make me invisible to other players while i putt around reading maps.

You should read the posts you're responding to before just mashing the keyboard in anger. You're incoherent.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Developers are very much hamstrung by the tendency of players to ruin their own fun. If you leave in a way to play that is mega boring but completely safe, accidentally or by design, a huge number of players will do only that to the exclusion of all else. Then hilariously many of them will complain that the game is boring.

Exactly.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 19, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Your first part is your opinion, the second has nothing to do with what I am complaining about. Ship to ship is background action while the majority of encounters come down to "can I get on board and drop their anchor?" The majority of crews I encounter in a scrap shoot a few cannonballs but otherwise wait to see if the anchor drops before they unload. The exception would be the chainshot, which I think has been a really good addition to ship combat.

Isn't this just your opinion? Where are you getting "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether"?

I play this game an embarrassing amount, doing a lot of PvP, and occasionally watch streamers too. I don't see what you're describing.

Shinjobi posted:

other players on this game are hell.

Maybe you have a bit of a bias here.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Though I don't agree with all of what he has said, as a solo slooper, the #1 way with a bullet I sink ships is boarding. I get a couple holes in their hull, maybe a mast down, then board, kill and firebomb. Its much much mroe effective than focussing purely on ship to ship combat.

I used to solo sloop a lot, and I get what you're saying. Most of the time now I'm on a brig or galleon, and boarding is important but has to be coupled with good naval combat beforehand to get a sink. A good crew can keep a ship afloat even with a ton of holes, and so they need to be disrupted by a boarder or blunders or cursed cannonballs. But unless you're boarding en mass and spawn camping them until fire sinks the ship or they scuttle, you really need to get a bunch of holes in them first.

I'm not saying boarding isn't important or even crucial, I'm saying "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether" does not match my experience at all.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

the tall tales should pay better too. 5k is just nothing.

I agree, but with checkpoints farming completions is way too easy. I'd like a reward bump too, but they'd have to fix this issue.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Yeah true, you really can't skip naval combat. Though sometimes you can with a well placed keg. Which is my absolute favorite, but it's very rare.

Mine too!!!! I get to do it do rarely because it's such a bad idea to sail around with kegs.

I got lucky yesterday and there just happened to be barrels and a keg on my swim towards an enemy ship. Made my night.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Boarding is a very common tactic and I wish I lived your blessed existence, I guess.

I'm not arguing boarding isn't a common tactic, don't put words in my mouth.

I'm arguing against "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether". Of course boarding is important.

Crippling or heavily damaging a ship with cannons and then boarding to slow/prevent repairs is more common in my experience.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

It's kinda funny how pvp-oriented most players here are, yet the Goon Pirates Discord tries to get multiple ships into the same server almost daily. :haw: and they usually succeed too.

They aren't mutually exclusive, you'll see me both places :-)