Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Hopping on the goon server. Just started playing on Saturday. Hope to sail with some goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I've been playing solo a bit too and it seems to be a mixed bag. Some days I get nothing because I'm constantly getting harassed by galleons full of dickbags. Other days I never see another player ship.

Today I decided to solo over in the volcano lands. I survived a kraken attack AND a megalodon attack on my own. Felt pretty good about that. The volcano missions are a bit tougher with the geysers and tougher skeletons, but stock up on lots of food and you're fine. Was able to get several gold hoarder emissary levels and made a shitload of money because there were no other player ships in that region.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

No kidding. It's not worth fighting for the rewards and 99% of the time you can completely ignore it and be fine, or have at most a couple holes to repair.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Never had that happen, but I have noticed some weird things shifting. My worst case was when I was hanging out in the Devil's roar and was on an island, and everything was nice and calm. Then there was a short little freeze for about half a second, after which the island was in full eruption mode.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

The weirdest thing happened to me last night. I'm soloing in the roar. I've got a level 4 flag and i'm out of quests. I have a chest of sorrow on board.

As im approaching the outpost, I see a brig docked there. A few seconds later, the chest starts weeping. I slow down to handle the flood and turn. As im bailing, the volcano next to me erupts and the very first volley hits my ship. After a struggle, I save the ship and things are fine. I return towards the outpost. The brig is still there, but its masts are broken now. I keep a distance and spy. I can't see any players. Just a lone, damaged ship at the dock.

So I sail to the far side of the island. Anchor my ship a bit odd a ways out, then row boat to shore with the chest of sorrow. I get to the outpost, sell the chest, and look around. There's nobody there. The brig is abandoned. I can't find other players. So, I burn the brig down. It sinks quickly. As I go to return to my ship, ominous music starts playing.

I look to my ship and a skeleton ship is attacking. I get to the mermaid as quickly as possible. It takes forever to load me onto my ship.

As soon as it does, I look over and see the skeleton ship sinking. My ship is undamaged other than a crack in the mast. I loot the skeleton ship, which gets me to level 5 emissary. Sell all my loot. A happy ending to a really odd situation.

I love this game.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Thanks to goons, I've learned the light of anchorless sailing. Unfortunately, my real life friends I play with are insistent on its usage.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

The most unrealistic thing in the game is the tavern being way up on a hill, in the most inconvenient spot possible on the island.

gently caress you Ancient Spire Outpost.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Merijn posted:

Skeleton ships, Megs and Fort of the Damned are independent of this cycle. They can happen at the same time as a world event.

And sometimes you get a Kraken, a Meg and a Skeleton ship attacking you all at once!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Any of you guys playing on Xbox? Me and my buddies are the dumbasses losing every fight and would be happy to help better crews. I don’t think we’re criminally stupid or anything, just inexperienced.

There is cross-platform play. Steam players and Xbox players together in harmony.

We have a goon discord here https://discord.gg/wtUFUE5 - Good place to meet up with goons to play with. I recommend it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Just to make sure, there's no way to stop the vault from closing and filling with water, right? Even if you solve the puzzle and get the chest the vault eventually closes?

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything after I got the chest hidden behind the wall.

Nope. It's on a timer and it WILL close. The game is just to do as much as you can before it does. Focus on the good stuff and move fast.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

This happened today.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

It's a great game. Go on the goon discord channel. Always looking for crewmates to sail with.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Merijn posted:

I'm surprised there's goons in here that dislike the PVP aspect of the game as much as I do. Over on reddit they're basically all bloodthirsty tryhards, and you get boo'd out if you admit you prefer PVE.

That being said, there's groups that organize server takeovers and just all agree not to fight each other. Everyone is in the alliance. It's not the 'chill and sail' you're looking for exactly, but it's a thing.

Yeah, I've hung out on one of those, and if you really want gold and rep, it's great, but they all have strict rules where you have to be focused on getting your voyages done efficiently and turning in every so often, and stuff like that. It doesn't feel like you're really enjoying the game, and it definitely just feels like you're cheating for quick rep and gold. Still, no better way to grind that Athena rep.

The private servers are coming eventually to allow for just open free sailing. You wont get rep or gold, but if you're just looking to sail around and chill, that's probably not much of a priority for you anyway.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Afaik turn-in notifications when you're in an alliance don't say who did it, so this seems pretty impossible to enforce. As long as there's a pretty consistent stream of those popping up, how are they going to know that you in particular are slacking?

Based off of your ship assignment mostly. Each ship has a dedicated role, so like, one is doing world events, one is Athena voyages, one is fort of the damned. So if it goes a long time without that type of loot being turned in, you'll get a warning. It is hard to enforce and definitely not perfect though.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

That is absolutely asinine. There must be some groups where the idea is just a simple "let's just chill unharassed and work on what we want, and everybody gets the alliance bonus."

Yeah. It's why I don't go on there much anymore. Sure, the in game rewards are high, but it's just not fun. Playing with goons on our discord is far better.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Nosthula posted:

How do you actually build a server of like minded people. From what I know its pure luck to get on another server.

It's a bit time consuming, but basically, get as many people as you can on a VPN that can select a specific city to route from, and have everyone set to that city. Then, you all get into the starting screen and all hit Set Sail at the same time. Once loaded, run over to the Athena emissary table and raise the flag. You can see how many boats have a flag raised on a server, so if a bunch all pop up, you know you're on the same server.

It's recommended to do this with at least 12 people, and even then it can take a while to work with lots of retries.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

I like that I can talk poo poo when sinking people's ships. Today my brother and I spotted a galleon anchored off an outpost. We went around the outpost, I jumped off with a barrel, put it in their bottom deck and blew them up. I swam over to the outpost, found them, and let them know the news. I have full deep sea crawler aesthetics and idiotically call myself The Crabman. I told them "Guys, I have bad news. Your ship has crabs and had to be put down." One of them said they knew what I had done. I said "That's good, considering I was the crabs" and ran off. As they gave chase, I killed one of them, my brother showered cannons on another who ran off but couldn't get behind cover before I shot him. The third guy had tried to make it out to our boat but came back to the island to get me. I got him just as he was getting out of the water. They were throwing firebombs at me while I was in the water. Doofuses.

Anyway, I like telling people that their ship is about to or has exploded. They usually end up killing me, but explosions are fun.

It can be fun sometimes. Saying a quick line in jest is fine as long as you don't get abusive.

For example, my friend and I were doing a tall tale, and a galleon reaper started chasing us. We sailed close to a fort and I hopped off and grabbed a TNT barrel quickly, then swam out in front of their boat. I was sure to yell out "special delivery!" just before I detonated it on the front of their hull. Sure I died, and it didn't sink them, but they did stop chasing us after that.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

For Merchant Alliance, do you do usual the thing where you reset the emissary flag once you hit 5 and get your emissary quests, or just keep it up and keep doing cargo runs with that bonus? I could see resetting it potentially being less money due to how their stuff works differently (leveling up FROM turning in, not before doing so)

Yeah, merchant is different. Once you hit 5, keep it there. Only lower and raise if you're specifically going for the commendations for reaching higher levels of emissary.

The best way to do merchant rep is to just do devils roar voyages. They're worth more than the emissary quests and you'll stick to relatively the same area. (They will only take you to Devils Ridge, Krakens Fall and Ancient Spire outside of the rise. )

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

The only thing they have over you is learned experience.

Which they will then use to destroy you.

Sometimes. I've also had many great experiences with pubby crews that I've encountered. It's a good game and not knowing if a player ship is friendly or hostile adds a wonderful little dimension to the game.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Hi. Just got this game after mulling it over for about a year. I played the tutorial and did some puzzle treasure quests on an island with a friend. Looking to make the most out of it. Do you all have a discord? I am wondering how the open world experience might own my face and it would be nice to play consistently with people and learn this game.

I really like sailing and picked up Naval Action, too. I play a lot of sim type games so if you want a sailor let me know!

We do indeed have a discord here. https://discord.gg/wtUFUE5

Stop on by. We're always looking for new crewmembers.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Can’t you just fish off the piers? I mean there are lots of places to fish.

Drink grog all day!

Tbh I just like sailing.

I have done a lot of fishing and the rule of real estate applies. Location Location Location. You want to be in a spot that is out of the way, and where you can hide your ship.

Mermaids hideaway is great. Park behind it in the little alcove and fish for plentifins, splashtails, pondies, and the nighttime islehopper.

Marauders arch is great for wildsplashes and moss islehoppers.
Inside thieves haven is great for ancientscales.
The north east corner of the roar is best for devilfish, just out of range of the forts volcano.
I recommend hiding behind the west side of crescent isle for honey hoppers and west side of sailors bounty for smoke islehoppers.

Wreckers and Stormfish you just kind of have to get by opportunity. Always keep an eye out if fishing a wreck that's in a popular sailing route.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Shipwrecks have been good for getting some rare fish. The first Snow Wrecker I ever got was from a wreck. But you only get 2-4 fish per wreck. Fishing is faster if you're actually going for grade V of every fish.

Also, shores of gold is okay to fish. But you'll only get splashtails and pondies.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

he1ixx posted:

Do I need to cook all of these fish? I burned my ship THREE TIMES the other night because things distracted me from my cooking tasks...

Cooking fish is 100% unnecessary for commendations. But as others have said, you get more money if they're cooked. So if you care about gold and reputation, then cook those fish. Often times after a long fishing session we only cook the trophy fish.

The commendations linked to cooking are for all of the meat other than fish.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

There is one trick that works with the chest of sorrow. If someone is holding it and gets on the ladder and gets as low as possible without falling off, it won't fill up the ship.

This of course becomes a big problem if playing solo, as you can't control the ship. If playing solo, and i want to get a chest of sorrow, I usually bee-line for the nearest outpost, and if it starts crying, you just keep bailing until it stops. You can stay ahead of it.

But yeah, most of the time it's not worth it. They should be worth more gold.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

With rank 5 Reaper, can you see the location of emissary flags that have been taken from sunken ships, or only those ones currently attached to active emissary ships?

Just ones attached to ships. Basically, any ship that has an emissary flag up will appear as a shadow on the map.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Last night we were running an Athena voyage and one of the islands we needed to hit up had a sloop at it. We approached quickly, but had no ill intent towards the sloop. The sloop dropped sails and started sailing away. As they sailed, we noticed things being dropped in the water and thought it might be kegs. But no. It was treasure. We harpooned a couple pieces, but let them flee. We figured they were trying to dump treasure to make us not chase them. We stopped at the island and started our mission, but they turned back around and came back towards the island. They started shooting at us.

So we fought back and sank them rather quickly. It was not much of a fight. They could have made friends with us and been nice, but no. They had to not trust us.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Reiley posted:

Do headshots do extra damage or should I just aim for the torso?

Torso. Doesn't matter where you hit on anything in the game, whether it be players or skeletons. A hit is a hit.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Sounds like a TNT barrel explosion. Either one of those dudes snuck one on board, or you ran into one that was floating in the water.

Possible you ran into one, and for some reason didn't hear the explosion, but still took the full brunt of the blast.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

shiffty posted:

What’re the recommendations for when you’re trying to alliance up with friends in two boats?

There is no in-game way to do this legitimately, and that is by design.

There are two methods to do this that aren't really intended, and can be pretty hard to pull off.

Method 1 is to find a ship with pubbies and convince or bribe them to invite a friend of yours to their crew and have them log out once your friend is in, then have friend invite the rest.

Method 2 is to get as many people as possible, use a VPN to set every one of you to a remote region that's not likely to have a lot of players on at that time, then all boot up the game on separate ships all at once and hope that it loads a new server for you and puts you on the same one. Do this over and over until it works. This is the method that Alliance Servers use, where they have a big Discord server of people who try to control an entire server and all ally together.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Icedude posted:

Pay real money for one from the emporium? :v:

I know you can get the Ashen Dragon hull for completing the Heart of Fire tall tale for the first time, which looks good but also does glow in the dark so not good for being sneaky. I know you can get the Morningstar hull from another tall tale but can't remember which, and it might be for doing the tall tale 5 times and getting all the journals.

Don't worry about ship cosmetics being glowy. By the time those effects render, your ship is going to be so close they're going to see you regardless of what your ship looks like. Only the ship lanterns make you more visible from far away.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

treat posted:

I'm curious, are there any intricacies to the actual sailing in this game? Is it possible to go faster than full sail forward if you know what your doing, i.e. does the game simulate lift gain off the leading edge of your sail (sails in this game don't even have leading edges do they?) or anything like that? Is it all just about keeping the sails trimmed exactly perpendicular to the wind to keep them full or is there any more nuance to it?

tell me that one cool sailing trick pirates don't want you to know

There's a bit, and some of it is a little counter-intuitive and unrealistic. Here's a handy chart for optimal speed on each of the boats.

Basically, the weird thing is that if you're going right into the wind, you want the sails straight forward. Basically, think of a 45° arc on the front of the ship. If the wind is within that, you need to have dummy sails. More than that, but still not catching wind, then tack them to what seems natural. If behind you, just tack them so they catch the wind.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

PerOlus posted:

I had a fun thing happen this weekend:
Was doing Flameheart, nothing out of the ordinary. Suddenly a megalodon appears. Again, nothing strange, as that happens sometimes. As one of the boss-ships drops exploding barrels, the megalodon turns its course into them! And yes, they blew up right in its face, killing it instantly!
I was stunned for a moment, and then asked my friend "did you loving see that?!", answered "YES!".
Love how after hundreds of hours of this game, unexpected things still regularly happens.

That's amazing. I've hit a few megs with a single barrel, but never like that.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

The key to getting Athena emissary flag up is to do lots of side stuff. It goes up on completion of every quest, even bottle quests. It also goes up when you defeat megs and skelly ships.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

For Kraken loot, the answer would be to simply make it so that the final tentacle drops the same amount of loot that a megalodon would. Let the earlier ones still drop stuff, and if you somehow manage to snag it, good on you.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Truga posted:

i managed to clear one of the shrines correctly yesterday and got the good loots out of it, but what happens if your boat sinks? do you just drown yourself to respawn at outpost and go get the loot from the mermaid after?

If you want a good shrine to do, go to the very northwest corner of the map and do the Treasury of Sunken Shores. It's so out of the way that you can clear it out without being harassed the vast majority of the time. You don't need a bottle to do it. You wont get the tears of the sea, but the rest of the loot aint too shabby. It's a combat shrine with tons of staffs in it, so it's easy to clear out quickly, even solo.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I'd like to add that the amount of loot you have on board has little to no effect on other ships attacking you. People intent on attacking other ships will do so even if you have absolutely nothing on board.

Unless of course you've just immediately finished a world even or fort of the damned, in which case there's a big marker in the sky saying "Come here for a ship full of loot"

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

You have to go to the captains table on your ship and select the voyage. It will put it on the table, at which point it will go into your quest wheel.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Note: there are commendations for catching fish. Do not try to complete them all, or you will never enjoy fishing again. :(

Speaking from experience.

Lies! I still enjoy it!

Though I still haven't caught 10 Shadow Stormfish or 50 Blackcloud Wreckers. But I'm close dammit.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

There's a spot on the Shores of Gold where you can cheese treacherous loot in an afternoon.

You'll also end up with like 50 ashen keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Paging ol’ Twiggs to the thread…

I'm only 16 fish shy of the Legendary Hunter of the Sea of Thieves commendation. 14 Blackcloud Wreckers, 2 Shadow Stormfish.

I have the wall mounted trincket of all of the fish types except Wildsplashes, which I'm working on.

I still enjoy it. It's relaxing. I've also caught a lot more blackclouds since the last update. There's definitely more shipwrecks spawning in the path of the storm now.