Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Kitchner posted:

I mean other than swords, axes, pistols, blunderbuss, and rifles, what else really exists?

Harpoons, both in guns mounted on the ship and as melee/thrown weapons, would be rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Kitchner posted:

Harpoons on ships would be rad if they stopped ships from escaping. The guys data mining the beta file found references to a ship mounted harpoon gun, but it could be a prototype they abandoned.

Not sure how you'd make a melee harpoon different to a sword (longer reach and slower maybe? Hits less people?) and throwing one as a melee weapon seems unlikely to be a good choice.

Its why I'm not a fan of the idea you can just throw side grades into the game and it make it better. Every game I've seen with them ends up with like 3 good choices and everything else doesn't fit the meta.

Even now if you look at the Eye of Reach on paper it's great, but the only two cases where I've seen people actually go and get one is a) to try and shoot the guy driving a sloop fleeing from us (and usually missing as that poo poo is hard) and b) a dude on a sloop was trying to sail into us with a barrel on the tip of his ship, so we shot it.

Throwing wise, I'm envisioning it sticking into your target and then you can yank them towards you so that you can pull nerds off their ship while you're boarding or just generally disorient them. Not likely I imagine but it'd be fun

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Logged in with two of my friends on a galleon tonight and had an absolute blast. We got off to a poor start, we had stocked our supplies to the gills and attacked a galleon. We were doing pretty well, but then Meg decided she wanted to sink us so between the shark and the (well crewed) ship we were defeated. We rallied at port and set off to do some gold hoarders when we saw the skeleton fort pop off. We stocked our supplies again, in the process spooking a sloop docked at an island into running away. They had left one of their crew and a pile of chests on the island, which we gladly helped ourselves to. Finally, we rolled up on the skull fort.

Our goal was to help out whoever was running it, fill their ship with gunpowder while they were distracted, and betray them at the end. Turns out it was the same galleon who had sunk us before, and they weren't buying our claims of friendship. So we spent quite a while performing hit and run attacks, exchanging boarding parties, and poo poo talking over crew chat but they kept running the fort. Finally, we pulled up off their stern and unloaded our cannons while our guy managed to blow up some powder under their ship. He then got onboard and kept anybody from going below to fix the damage. Victory.

Turns out, they had just gotten to the Captain wave of the fort! We dispatched it quickly, and loaded up the best stuff. We pushed off just as they returned, steaming mad, and we somehow managed to pull an ebrake turn with the anchor and turn that into ramming them. Our boarder guy hopped over and dropped their anchor and we made our escape. They disappeared shortly after, so we went back to the fort and loaded up the rest of the booty. Made a small fortune off of the adventure and had some really great times playing video games with my buds.

Edit: oh and the megalodon showed up another two or three times, including when we were hauling rear end away from the other galleon with the stronghold chest and skull onboard. Very tense operation from start to finish

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 25, 2018

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

shortspecialbus posted:

I picked up the game to play with my wife but I've been trying solo play for a bit. It seems like it's something we could have fun together with, but it's really irritating that if you run into other players somewhere where you can't flee in your sloop, you have to scuttle your ship because literally everyone you run into is going to just spawncamp you over and over. Scuttling doesn't necessarily help either, once or twice my ship spawned back on top of another group who would just spawncamp me. My ship has literally nothing of value, I just started. They can have my bananas and boards if they really want, I guess.

Maybe this will be better with a second player, but my wife isn't really combat oriented so I suspect it'll just be a lot of ship scuttling.

I realize it's a pirate game and I'm not looking for a carebear-safe game but I really hope I'm missing something as far as what to do when you meet someone when you're trying to dock and not in a position to flee because it seems to mean it's just time to turn the game off for a while.

Are you talking to these people? Most folks I've run into lately have at least had the courtesy to buddy up to me first and then betray me instead of immediate violence. A lot of players are relentlessly hostile, yes, but solo sloops are an easy target so that may be part of your problem. I always go out of my way to sink a solo sloop, personally. It's a good way to score a bonus chest or skull and doesn't even take as much effort as diving a shipwreck, usually.

A less helpful 'git gud' bit of advice is never park your sloop somewhere where you can't immediately drop sail and be on your way. I don't even drop anchor most of the time. You go faster into the wind and are more maneuverable than anyone else, use this to your advantage

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

shortspecialbus posted:

Such is life, but I guess what bugs me is the spawn camping. If someone wants to kill me and steal my poo poo from the boat, go for it - that's fine. It's the hanging around forever afterwards that's dumb and there's no invulnerability so you're killed the instant you spawn. Ganking is fine, endless ganking is stupid.

I agree that this is the worst. It's been a while since it's happened to me and my crew though so I think it's just kinda luck of the draw in regard to your server and who's on it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How's the player numbers on this game these days? sorta forgot it existed while waiting for content.

It waxes and wanes in relation to whatever big update has just come out but I rarely go without seeing someone else for more than 20 minutes, so I think the numbers are good. I don't know what your metric for enough content is but a lot's been added and a whole bunch more is getting added in this update so if this game is gonna click for you it's gonna be then.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've been playing pretty regularly with my friends since release and I still really enjoy this game. The new update has really made the world feel populated and dangerous in a good way, last night we had pretty regular encounters with 2+ other player ships and skeleton ships throughout the world, various Megs, and a kraken encounter. I'm really enjoying the bilge rat challenges too

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Something I found out recently is that if you're drunk and someone throws a bucket of water in your face you sober up almost instantly which is a fantastic little detail that I don't think I've seen mentioned anywhere

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Just got this on Gamepass last night. What are some ultimate noob tips for soloing (besides don't solo). I don't have a Mic, so I feel like i'd be a subpar teammate and might as well go it alone.

The radial chat menu changes based on which item you're holding, it's surprisingly effective for communication. My crewmates and I played for a long time using that instead of mics

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Cyberdud posted:

Summit1g, a "popular" Twitch streamer fell in love with the game around a month ago and has been going on stupid capers to try to steal as many Athena chests as possible. They are actively hunting / stalking people on Gilded Athena Voyages and have had some success. (My favorite is him hiding in their captain's quarter where they proceed to put all 3 athena chests from the gilded voyage. He then proceeds to load them aboard their own rowboat and leaving with it.)

I am hungry for that Legendary Thief title

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The Protagonist posted:

You can have an offline mode if it's a seperate pirate/wallet. The whole point of the game is the risk of theft, this is a pvp game with some pve in it, not the other way around. Yeah the sailing mechanics are great, both for prey and predators.

gently caress you and your dog if you advocate for pve servers.

I'd go further, offline mode with no wallet. Sail all you like but if you want any progression or cosmetics there's gotta be some risk. I'm flabbergasted that the pve thing is even still a debate, I'd think these wimps would have migrated to another game by now

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

If you're on PC you can be in Xbox party chat through the app, and use push to talk in-game chat. Discord's probably better to use but one of my crew is on xbox so it works for us

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Had a heck of a game the other night, must have been a full server. We were in a brig and ran a skull fort, we fought off two different galleons who kept respawning and trying to kick us out. Because of the timing of their respawns we were basically always fighting for a long time. We finally managed to get the key so we tried to book it until the heat died down. Both galleons managed to spot and chase us, we sunk one but the other was pretty good at harassing us from a distance. There was a running battle through the heart of a storm which was fantastic. Eventually I got dropped off at an island with the key, my crewmates got a lucky Meg spawn that helped kill the galleon.

After all that bullshit we ran back to the fort to get our loot only to find it was active again and being ran by one of the galleons and a sloop, still not sure if they were allied. Plan was to smash and grab because we were out of supplies and it was getting late irl. We rolled up and sunk the galleon, sloop took off. We opened the vault only to get kegged by a straggler. I stashed some loot up a tower but got cornered by skeletons. Spawn far away, haul rear end back to the fort to find the sloop still there because they didn't realize the vault was open. My buddy grabs the mega keg and blasts the sloop, I kill the sloop crew, we dip out of there with two galleons converging on us again. A total clusterfuck of a session but holey moley it was a lot of fun.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The devs have earned a lot of goodwill from me so far. They seem really engaged with the community but seem to have a clear idea of how they want the game to be that I mostly agree with. I'm still apprehensive about changes to crossplay, though.

With how often my group of friends can all get together to play the amount of events and new content was really fast in comparison so I've appreciated the few months of downtime to fill in my commendations and focus on dicking over people running forts and stuff. I'm very excited to hear what's coming and as long as it's not too far away from the announcement I'll be pleased.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

EdEddnEddy posted:

(Also make a screenshot of your map so you can just go back to all the spots later).
I'm aiming to do basically the same thing tonight so thanks for the story and I'm kicking myself for not thinking about this sooner, I've lost some chests to this event that a screenshot would have saved

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That's a pretty good adventure! I often wonder myself if the victims of one of my sneaky sneaks even appreciates what I went through to get their stuff or if it just generates a post on the bug forum and a salty pirate but either way it feels really good to pull it off.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

A Moose posted:

anybody notice floating barrels glitching out? Played for hours and every floating barrel sank and despawned as soon as I touched it or came within range. I'll get maybe 2 barrels before the whole group sinks.

If this is a glitch, it's been in the game forever. I often run into this same problem, but then again I often run into barrels that don't sink so :shrug: Like Goldblum said, you're likely unlucky and hitting the chests right when their sink timer goes into effect. Maybe there's some intended behavior where they wait for someone to get close to start sinking?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I'd like to see more ways to stock your ship up quickly in general, having to hit a fort and an outpost or two to get started every time is a bit of a drag. The rowboat chest and crates are a good start but more ways to get more supplies on the ship quickly would be good.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah hearing the lamentations of the defeated is like half the reason I play this so much

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Comrayn posted:

I want to give sailing a shot again but is going solo any fun now? Hard to coordinate with my friends these days. I haven’t played since before they added any content so I guess I’m asking is fighting kraken/skeleton ships/whatever as a solo loser a fun time?

Best part of being solo is ambushing players at forts and outposts, imo. You can be very effective doing long plays with a rowboat and the sloop parked behind a rock nearby. PvE content is still pretty dull as a solo slooper, to me, but depending on your temperament it can be a fun time.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Y'all I am painfully hyped for this update.

Last night my crew and I pulled off an almost-flawless sneaky-sneak fort heist and that may be the most fun I've had in a video game, ever. There's something so magical about ruining other people's fun and turning it into your own fun.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I only like it in this game because you don't really lose anything even if you lose everything. In other survival games I feel like a huge douche if I try to demolish someone's base.

Absolutely! I've never been able to get into games like Ark or Rust for a variety of reasons, but this is chief among them. But the whole "treasure isn't yours until you turn it in" principle is so great. We've definitely lost our haul more times than we've pulled big heists, but it never feels like we've lost anything we can't get back with a good night's voyaging. That's why people getting sooo salty over a few pieces of loot is endlessly entertaining for me.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Cosmetics come and go with events, I usually hang on to a stack of doubloons in case a good event cosmetic pops up.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've done a couple forts recently, both directly and as an ambush, on rowboats and it's great fun. One time we rowed up on a ship anchored out in open water for whatever reason, killed them while they didn't know what was happening, loaded their loot on the rowboat, used a keg from their crow's nest to sink them, then rowed back to the outpost. Easiest money we've ever made and I don't know if our victims ever figured out what was happening to them or not. As long as you don't mind the loooong travel times and probably getting lost then rowboats are a great way to get around.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've taken a week or two off playing so that I'm properly hungry for treasure. Do we know what time on the thirtieth the update will drop? Thinking about checking out of work early so I can use my full weekend for pirate shenanigans

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I reckon once I hit 50 in gold hoarders I'll just buy my way to legend, unless hunter's call or sea dogs are particularly fun. I really like the idea of merchant voyages but you should really be able to run them alongside real voyages

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Harpooning megaladons is totally possible and totally awesome, we speared at least 3 last night. We ate well!

Also, fishing is really fun. I can see myself actually going solo slooping to fill out my commendations and stuff. Lack of vibration on PC isn't really an issue, just pay attention to screen shake since that tells you your line is about to snap. My crew and I spent a couple hours at smuggler's bay fishing and cooking before we got underway with the tall tales stuff last night and it was a grand old time. One of us really enjoys the cooking system so he pretty much stays below deck yelling at us to bring him more meat now and it's great

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

So I noticed there's a new tab in the vanity chest called "curses". Does this come up in the tall tales or something? I'm curious what it's about but I can't seem to find anything about it on the internet

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah my group legit thought it bugged out after a while

looking it up we have some people claiming it was easy and done in thirty seconds and some people that it took a hour, so lmao something is up

We ended up having to bait her down to the beach and take her out with cannons and kegs, it drug on for a good 10+ minutes. It was a really fun fight, but it definitely felt like she had way too much health for the three of us. She kept shotgunning bananas, too, which felt like bullshit

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Mordiceius posted:

Is Sea of Thieves good now? How many players do you need to be able to enjoy it? Could my wife and I just play it co-op and have a good time or would we need others?

Sea of Thieves is a very good game, yes. You can have plenty of fun on a two player sloop, some of the best plays I've made have been just me and a buddy doing some sneaky nonsense on a galleon full of people.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does anyone else regularly have sea of thieves updates just get stuck on installing or downloading in the windows store? it's starting to get annoying having to constantly google for fixes every patch and one friend just hasn't been able to get the game running for the past year.

No but the drat thing almost never updates on its own, I pretty much always have to go into the store and tell it to check for updates. I'd imagine it's a windows store problem more than a sot one but who knows.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

So we ran into another crew tonight, and they were doing Pirate Science!

I don't know if everyone else knows about this bug yet or not but if you manage to harpoon an extended fishing line, you can drag your ship around in circles at a ridiculous speed. If you get really lucky, you can use the momentum to flip the ship over completely! If someone is on the sails at that point, you can drop sails and sail forward while flipped upside down. It's a total clusterfuck and it's the most fun I've had in game for a while.

Edit: spent a long time trying to replicate what they were doing but were unable, it may be because they were in a galleon and we were in a brig but we couldn't get the angle that they were doing. Either that or they were pirate angels of some sort.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 14, 2019

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The Protagonist posted:

Whoa. Does it have to be an enemy crew line?

No, they were firing their harpoon at one of their own dudes who was fishing off the bowsprit. We came over because we saw their ship freaking out and spinning wildly from a ways away and they invited us on. No idea how they managed it, we spent at least half an hour trying to figure it out.

We weren't recording and only got four screenshots because the whole thing was so crazy we weren't even thinking about documenting it. Been a while since I uploaded to imgur but I think this should have the goods: https://imgur.com/a/4kic6Eh

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 14, 2019

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm at 49/46/45 and I'm honestly happy to just let it happen organically. I've got a legend I play with regularly so i have access to any legends exclusive voyages and I've been hoarding doubloons for whatever's coming next.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Pattonesque posted:

I felt bad for sinking this guy because he seemed like a mensch, but you know, not Sea of Friends and all that

(also he had like 15k worth of stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft0tKIPyTsI

lol poor bastard

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

nessin posted:

I got three free months of Game Pass recently, does Sea of Thieves have any value in playing solo or is it still basically all group content?

I've been having more fun than I used to solo sailing lately but your mileage may vary. Group sailing is usually boisterous fun, with lots of dumb misadventures and poor decisions creating stories to tell next time you play. Solo play is more methodical and tense, with every set of sails on the horizon possibly meaning your doom. I've pulled some great sneaky heists running solo since my ship is essentially disposable and I don't have to worry about other peoples' fun, but the lack of crewmates bursting into song or hollering about a fish they caught or getting drunk belowdecks right before we get into a fight can make things feel a bit lonely. If you've got gamepass anyway it's definitely worth giving a shot, but don't be afraid to holler at goons in the discord or here if you want some buddies for more chill sailing.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 11, 2019

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Tertius Oculum posted:

I can't log in till this weekend but I'm curious how the emporium is. Is it only ancient coins like the kind you earned from Duke or whatever?

You buy ancient coins with real earth dollars. Currently the only stuff in it is pets and an emote pack. The pets are pretty fun to play around with and they're super cute. As far as microtransactions go, these seem pretty harmless.

Duke sells stuff for doubloons which you get from his voyages, he's got variants of old time limited skins. Right now it's a green and orange bonecrusher set and darker colored ocean crawler weapon skins.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That might be what kills it for me. Having everyone be in the same servers makes things interesting, imo. The way Joe was talking about it made me think it might be gated behind the creator club stuff, at least, so it might not be the end of all things.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Merijn posted:

Last week's patch fixed the Fort of the Damned commendation tracking issue, so get sailin'!

You sure? I've been looking for confirmation of this. Me and my group have been holding off on blitzing the fort until today is all worked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Len posted:

I just got this game because of gamepass and since the OP hasn't been updated in forever I was curious what exactly there is to do?

It seems like this is mostly a make your own fun game with no actual plot and the only things to unlock being cosmetics. Am I missing something?

There's a meta-plot going on in the background if you're paying attention to the updates but yeah, it's largely about finding your own fun. The tall tales are a fairly long story driven questline if you're looking for a more directed experience. Otherwise just get out there and get into trouble