Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Been following this game for a little bit but I had my first chance to play it tonight, I'm really into it! Is there a primer for how the man to man combat works? My understanding is there's a delay on the sword slash so you can block/maneuver and move forward as you swing, but I'm not sure which of the three types of gun I should carry. I have the sniper rifle at the moment, is there any primer advice from old PvP heads? I want to battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do headshots do extra damage or should I just aim for the torso?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hitting anchor turns on a dime is one of my favorite things to do in this game so far

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I just clipped through the floor of a tavern and found an underground tunnel to a glowing green waterfall with slow, angelic sea shanties being sung, but I can't interact with the light. Is this something I shouldn't be seeing yet?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Merijn posted:

And you're only supposed to be able to get there if you're a Pirate Legend. 😮

Seems I've earned my stripes early :cool:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When firing on a galleon is it important where your cannonballs land? I assume you want to land hits at the waterline so the bottom deck takes on water, but if cannonballs hit the middle deck does that just never produce water until the bottom deck is flooded first?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Had a galleon battle with a crew who kept trying to swim gunpowder barrels onto our ship when we got close together. I saw one jump in so I jumped in the water near them, and after two other misses managed to shoot the gunpowder barrel in the man's hands right against the starboard hull of their ship. I climbed up the rope latter on the port side and killed the other three on the anchor capstain with my cutlass, and rode the deck underwater before reuniting with my crew. This game is incredible.

e: the Flintlock has become my favorite sidearm, once you can aim with it it's really quick and versatile.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

They ended up having 30+ captain's chests, which makes me think that they were either doing a gilded gold hoarders voyage or emissary quests. Regardless, seeing all that loot pop up after sinking a galleon as a sloop made my heart absolutely sing :-)

There's an achievement you get for hauling 20 chests on board at once. My crew is all reknown 25-30 range and one of our members keeps insisting on doing this, with how many chests our current voyages actually give this keeps feeling like a bad idea and we keep having to tell him, not yet. Wait until we are stronger.

e: Someone flying reaper's sank our brig earlier while we were docked in port. We weren't sure if they'd be friendly or not since we didn't notice the reaper flag so I was swimming around the other side of the island with a gunpowder keg. My crewmate said they sank our ship as I was going underneath theirs, and released the barrel intent on shooting it, but it blew up on contact so I died too but lesson learned on deploying sea mines. We respawned nearby and sailed back to that outpost and caught them sailing away, and sank them in a battle where it was apparent they were the more experienced crew. A megalodon spawned during that fight so we had to sail away and lose it before tracing the dotted line on our map back to recover the spoils. We took their chests and started sailing east to a different outpost just as their ship was returning on the horizon. One of our crew jumped off the brig at Reaper's Hideout to turn in their reaper flag and make them think we docked there. The next outpost we passed also had a ship docked so we sailed all the way out to the volcano island and then, 15 minutes later, began selling their chests, hoping they were getting the popup notifications.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 1, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Besson posted:

Dumb question: if a friend and myself want to play this together, from scratch, how much intro/tutorial filler would we need to play separately before we can link up and hang out together.

There's a short Maiden Voyage quest that teaches you all the menus and gives you a basic version of every item, then has you sail an S-shaped pattern through some clouds and that's it. Like maybe 10 minutes tops.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

They disbanded the alliance after shooting at us, so nothing for them! Although I would've probably left anyway, because I wouldn't want to be on their map after that. Serves them right for underestimating sloops!

Maybe that was it... it was odd that they were all captain's chests though. That's what made me think emissary or gilded.

Awesome story. I'll bet your heart was racing like crazy while you loaded everything on board before they got back.
Half the chests were glitched where we couldn't interact with them so after one last harpoon attempt it was "okay, find a faraway outpost and lets get out of here."

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How does PvP on a solo sloop work against any sort of multiple-person crew? It seems hard to steer, bail, repair and fire the cannons all by yourself. I fought a kraken on a solo sloop and got away but it felt like it was generously waiting for me while I went below deck to bail and plug holes, which I don't imagine other players will do.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That's a good writeup and about what I suspected, thanks! The "don't get hit" principle in action.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Our crew sailing a Galleon today flying the Reaper's Bones emissary, we were doing the Flameheart event and got to the final wave when a megalodon spawned and threw us off the boat, sinking us at the worst possible time. We had a dinghy so while two of our crew respawned my friend and I started loading our stuff onto the dinghy. The meg had just left and so did the ghost ships when a guy shot me from out of nowhere, and then shot my friend and took our dinghy. They were flying Reaper's too so we tracked them down and it was a Sloop with two seasoned players on it. They were sailing into the wind to get away from us but we were tacking a bit to try to keep after them. We chased them for probably 20 minutes, to the very edge of the map, while they would jump off their boat to try and firebomb us. They tried to board us a few times but we were coordinated enough to kill them quickly before they could drop our anchor, so they stopped boarding and just firebombed us, going through probably like 30 or 50 firebombs. We saw them cannon to a passing island to resupply but we weren't going to let them cash in on our misfortune.

When we neared the edge of the map the winds changed and we were able to catch up. They turned to chainshot our masts and fired on us. We had to bail water fast but I got a chainshot on theirs and we unloaded cannons into their sloop. The sword fighting was tough but we held out and sank their sloop while our mid deck was about half flooded. After we killed them both and stabilized we got our stuff back, we got their stuff which was nice stuff, we got our broken emissary flag and their emissary flag and we brought it all back to Mr. Reaper and voted to raise a fresh emissary. We recovered five storage crates- three were originally ours- and none of them had any firebombs left. It was a tense exchange but we didn't let them get away from us, and our crew is slowly getting better at sailing and fighting together.

Reaper's has become my favorite flag to fly. People either run from you or are spicy enough to come have good fights. It's the one emissary that feels like being a proper pirate.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Found one of these for the first time and promptly squandered it on photo ops.

We were amazed that you could do this and then learned that the fire juice doesn't regenerate. Do these do a lot of damage, could we save one next time for a skeleton fort?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

They instagib skeletons like nothing else and there are a few commendations/achievements/whathaveyou for using them against skeletons and skeleton ships.

The skull's sell value is also based on the amount of fuel remaining, don't tell your crewmates.

We also learned when you run out of fuel and press the button it makes the jaws clack like a ventriloquist dummy.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You ever have your crew playing the 1812 Overture and then fire the ship cannons in time with the second half of the song? The time to reload a shot and fire again lines up perfectly and really enhances the power of the composition.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What is the counterplay if someone is just jumping around with their sword? Is it just jump around with your gun? Just always also stay moving?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I discounted blunderbombs pretty heavily up until recently, and now I refuse to board or deal with boarders without a full five on me. They're great for fast damage and disruption and they've help me improve my person-to-person play immensely.

I've been thinking about using those a lot more, like tossing TF2 Demo pills, before I play this weekend I'd like to put those on hotkeys on my keyboard. I was watching my friends streaming a voyage and they got lit up by a jumping bean, which is why I was wondering. It looked like the route was board and then quickly go up at the helm or out by the bow before fighting.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Thief posted:

blunderbomb into cannons can be very useful for buying time when you know you're gonna get broadsided but want to focus on repairs

also spam the green/purple ones whenever you have them they cause just as much confusion as fire against inexperienced crews

Do cursed cannonball effects stack or does one new effect override the previous one? Like can you sleep&grogball someone and then ballastball them?

vvv I mean more will both sleep & grog effects apply or is it wasting cursed balls to fire both?

Reiley fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 11, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Oh here's another question: when you're in water PvP, i.e. both your boats sank and now it's you and the sharks, is it ideal to swim deeper underwater and shoot up at other players? I've been in this situation once and had a hard time seeing people through the choppy waves and only had this thought in hindsight.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I watched a guide about good pistol models to use and they mentioned the sea dog and mercenary models as having usable front sights, with the sea dog mostly just being a triangle point. The aristocrat pistol in the Black Market Archive has the same front blade as the mercenary pistol. The video I watched was a bit old but are there recommendations for other pistol models to use? I noticed the Wild Rose pistol seems to have a usable triangle sight but I'd like to find something I can reliably aim with quickly. A surprising amount of flintlocks look cool but are not functional at all for aiming down sights.

e:

That's a useful sight on a pretty gun.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 20, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Can someone post another link to the Discord? The previous links have expired. Lemme bring my rainbow figurehead to y'all so we, too, can sail together aboard the Gay Agenda.

There's a link in the OP that still works: https://discord.gg/wtUFUE5

edit for content:
The crew had a productive night tonight. We learned the Gold Hoarder doesn't buy boats.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Raposa posted:

if you sailed past while it was sinking and didnt get a good reference for its location, it's entirely possible to lose it while you turn around and whatnot. Waves are really good at hiding things from you.

A good trick here is to use your ship's map! When you sail it leaves a dotted line of your course so if you pass the ship do an anchor turn and follow your dotted line back to where the battle took place.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When I fish for regionals I just sit on the seapost and deliver every catch directly to the Hunter rep. My internet dropped the moment I turned in a rare devilfish for the commendation and I just about had a heart attack but when the net came back I was successful in delivering it.

Also, I feel like Galleon Arena is the better arena mode. Sloops are fun but it feels like one person is the Main Character of the crew and the other is Boat Boy. On a Galleon everyone is doing everything and it feels like more of a huge battle.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

e: whoops

Reiley fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 29, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Cowman posted:

What about on land? Or when you're off ship treasure hunting? A lot of people are dicks and will just kill you for fun. I like treasure hunting a lot and just sailing with my friends but the PvP is obnoxious.

I guess the solution is to stop playing alone but I don't really have a crew to play with. It's not fun when you get swarmed for treasure hunting.

This is a pretty cool and unique game for the exact reasons you bring up. You can talk to people to try and humanize yourself or scout around before making a run for treasure, but the danger of pirates is the core tentpole of the game. Try questing in the southeast corner of the map, people may be less inclined to bother you there. Avoid the upper middle of the map, the reaper's hideout. There's only gping to be a maximum of four other boats out there. Good luck!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You know you're holding the stick in the correct direction during a fishing fight phase if there isn't a creaking wood sound, that sound means you're on the wrong angle and you risk breaking the line. This game has the most convoluted fishing mechanic of any game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is it still the best practice to store gunpowder in the crow's nest even though it'll blow up with the mast falling, just because everywhere else is liable to sink you with one bad cannonball?

The old wisdom I remember someone saying is to put gunpowder at the tip of the bowsprit where it can do the least damage if it goes off.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Played this game again with the gang after a long hiatus. It's still beautiful but there's still only like four flintlocks with usable iron sights :(

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I am pleased to report a pistol whose design I like has a very useful iron sight. I'm finally free of this gaudy Aristocrat's Flintlock.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Having come back from a long time away and getting friends to pick it up again it's been great to play again. Wandering around New Golden Sands Outpost, finding the secret exit out of the tavern, revisiting old content and seeing new content and chasing down a brig who peppered us when we were turning in our Emissary flag. This game rules and I'm glad to see its server merging and low server caps seem built for long-term survival.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've put together the perfect disguise.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When you are at a port you can check the emissary tables, for each ship flying a company's flag there will be a wooden ship on all the emissary tables for that company.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ran some sloop matchmaking with a friend and got a hot streak going, invading is some of the most fun I've had in a long time.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've just reached Pirate Legend the other day. Tonight we did a mermaid shrine and when we turned stuff in I was getting Athena's rep from the Sovereigns. Some of the cups had teal barnacles on them, is just everything teal Athena's and I just didn't have the emissary license yet or does the shrine start spawning teal stuff when an Athena's person is in the party?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Oh that makes a lot more sense, that hadn't occurred to me at all. Thank you, friend.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Got a sloop for hunting deadites

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Timestamp 30 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-OBYfoB_g

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Yeah the ghost fleet is a world event that came back in the recent patch. The Merchant voyage is just finding the key, finding the shipwreck and then moving the stuff from the shipwreck to the boat. It's the thing we did together, no ghost ships are required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

New drydock update's working great.