Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Hi. Just got this game after mulling it over for about a year. I played the tutorial and did some puzzle treasure quests on an island with a friend. Looking to make the most out of it. Do you all have a discord? I am wondering how the open world experience might own my face and it would be nice to play consistently with people and learn this game.

I really like sailing and picked up Naval Action, too. I play a lot of sim type games so if you want a sailor let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Just want to say a few things since you now have about 2 hours left to buy it on Steam Sale:

1.) It's worth the sale.

2.) It is fun. If you have any sense of humor at all, it is even more fun.

3.) Pirates!

4.) Play with friends.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Can’t you just fish off the piers? I mean there are lots of places to fish.

Drink grog all day!

Tbh I just like sailing.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am still new enough to the game that I am extremely gullible and want to know how to do that and if you can.

I assume it’s by marking the map with the circles?

Someone told me I can’t get silk crates wet but that was a lie :colbert:. I fell into water upon deliver getting out of my sloop and I got the money all the same and the same amount as the crate I didn’t drop.

Harumph!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I haven’t played this game long enough to be jaded by any experience yet so I like to fish on a nice day just chillin’ wherever I am floating or standing :3:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I thought I would be clever by harpooning a chest of sorrow or whatever and leaving it on the hook instead of bringing it aboard so I wouldn’t be bailing water. I was also in a light storm so I thought I wouldn’t make it worse.

It started crying about when I reached the title card of an outpost to sell. I pull into port and I SWEAR I didn’t run aground or collide to cause damage but as soon as I parked my ship it sank and FAST.

Assuming I didn’t have hidden damage I let sink me, did my assumption that the trick with the chest doesn’t actually work?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I must have ran aground or not noticed a flood/damage from being in the heavy storm I guess.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
My stupid newbie moment was carrying the first one I ever found on my ship. It started crying and I discovered what it does. I was bailing and generally okay but then a skeleton sloop showed up and I died VERY fast.

I was solo.

This second experience has taught me all I need to know...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
If you could hold a chest and climb into a cannon and be shot out of it that would be a hilarious way to board and drop one onto an enemy ship.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Where can you hide a keg in your hold that won’t blow up easily?

I realize most keep it in the crow’s best but is
There a different location? On a Galleon I could see the captains quarters but wtf do you need a keg for in a galleon?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Why not in the captains quarters on a sloop? Those rear holes aren't normally a big deal.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I took a keg today while solo slooping and put it on the tip of my bowsprit. Glad I did as I went into a storm and the first thing to happen was my mast gets struck by lightning.

Anyways I was done for the day and loving about after selling just playing with cosmetic options and I was keeping an eye on a brig when out of nowhere a galleon approaches that I SWEAR was not a skeleton galleon (it looked like it had some premium looking sails, livery, and figurehead—green/aqua and somewhat glowy in color with a pretty cool crow’s nest).

I was going to experiment / practice with the powder keg I had earlier by sabotaging a parking ship. I intended to let my ship sink as a distraction. Anyways, ship engages me but I couldn’t get close enough with my barrel. It sinks my ship and as my ship goes under the galleon sails away.

Then it suddenly jerks up then dives into the waves just off the beach of the outpost never to be seen again.

What loving ship was that? Did I see a glitch? I SWEAR it was NOT a skeleton galleon as I saw a player galleon before I got to port plus I got very close to boarding it.

Did they kill my ship and then log out?!?

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 20, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am level 36 with merchants and got a megakeg in the regular hold conveniently by the ammo barrel just today.

I was in the Ancient Isles fwiw.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I think my favorite things about the new merchant voyage is that it is:

Soloable (but better with crew)
Feels kind of adventure-y
Makes you visit lots of islands
Gives you a poo poo ton of supplies with all the flotsam
Gets you to level 5 emissary before the end
Has a metric fuckton of crates
Can be finished in under an hour.
The payout is pretty drat good
It makes grinding merchant levels tolerable

I have also said this before but this will probably be known as the “happy times” by raiders because drat you are vulnerable and stick out like a sore thumb.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
To be honest I play kb/m with my kb/m friends. Sailing pvp we are good and fine but when it comes to boarding we suck too and die quickly.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The new merchant voyage is...At the merchant.

Sure you can get one from Larinna but go to the docks by your ship and pick it up from the merchant.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
3 months

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I like them as a means to easily and somewhat quickly stock up on supplies before a long session. Added benefit of making a solid coin off of it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Do you expect me to jump?

-No Mr. pirate I expect you to die!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Was solo slooping last night, flying the rainbow flag, and ran across a duo sloop at Daggertooth in what looked like a new spawn position. I didn't want to sink a new spawn, so I cannoned over to check it out.

Turns out, not a new spawn, but a couple of what sounded like kids selling a pile of skulls. Not a whole lot of loot, not worth fighting over, so i said bye and was about to leave when one of them one blunders me and calls me a human being. Nice.

So after I got back from the ferry we fought, and after a long fight I managed to sink them, and tell them off for the slur as they sank, so all's well that ends well I guess. But I was still pretty pissed off afterwards.

https://youtu.be/_mf3py1e_7c

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
For what it’s worth, even if legally they’re adults, people under 25 are still what I call “kids”.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Be chill, do pirate crimes is what I always say.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Why? Rare makes good games.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Thief posted:

trying to setup a crew party can be pretty janky sometimes. this is like the only game i've had to use win+g to see invites that i can think of

also this game rules lol

Eh, that’s bullshit Microsoft proprietary software poo poo. Just like Origin or Steam, etc. not Rare’s fault.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Today I went solo to gently caress around and see what was up with season 2 stuff.

I was surprised to see just how much you get for doing shipping missions.

Also, I sailed over to the reaper chest and got there just before another sloop did. We duked it out but I handily defeated the two guys. As they tried to board me I killed one but the other just chilled at the wreck for the reaper chest. I then logged because it was time to eat.

I cannot think of a more dick thing to do than not even loot the chest after fighting over it for 30 minutes.

I don’t care that the other guy probably sailed back with a new ship to loot the chest after I logged.

Basically a big :chord: and I don’t even care tbh.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I particularly like the Lost Soul cannonball.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The best players seem to be sloopers, solo or paired.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
If you want an age if sail game that DOES simulate accurate sailing and incorporates the different points of sail then try Naval Action.

The game is very niche and can be a challenge to get used to due to a poor UI, but the player-base is dedicated to the game and it is also arguably the only of its kind right now.

Naval Action requires you to know points of sail, wind direction, how to set your yards, how to tack, the different handling and sailing profiles of fore and aft ships vs square sails, and also how to get out of irons.

It’s fun. I have been thinking if making an effort post about it to recruit Goons for a clan. Hit me up if you ever get it. The sale price currently is a good one imo if you want to pick up a cheap impulse buy.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Honestly a lot of the times you don’t seem to get rewards gets solved when you log in the next day. It can lag but you will be rewarded and it can be nice to log in with an additional 100k in your wallet.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

and little Timmy playing sailing adventure on their parents xbox that you don't have the heart to sink.

Well there’s your problem right there. You aren’t heartless enough!

Always remember: they probably deserve it!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Pirates XXX crossover confirmed next time.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

FreeWifi!! posted:

Is there any reason as to why we cant name our ships?

While I would like this, too I imagine the dev cycles needed are best spent elsewhere since it will definitely be abused because gamer words are a thing.

This game can have a pretty lovely player-base fwiw, especially in competition.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Itt we name our ships:

The New Piss Frontier

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I've been surprised at the number of times I've been able to ask other players to stop attacking because my crew is working on a Tall Tale, and actually have them stop, often even apologizing!

I certainly don't expect it in this game, but it's cool when it happens.

I usually do the same if someone asks me politely not to attack, especially if they seem to be newbies.

Last night my brig crew spotted two players loading their sloop with treasure from a vault. They saw us pull up in our brig while they were still on shore, and we basically had a guaranteed kill lined up. They asked nicely if we would let them go. We noticed they didn't have many cosmetics beyond some cheap/easily unlockable stuff, so instead of murdering them and taking their (presumably low-level) vault, we helped them load up their ship.

I may not have the right temperament for this game. I find the moments when you meet a friendly crew to be just as rewarding as putting a dozen cannonballs into someone.

Gotta stick to the code…

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
When you get to a checkpoint you get items (like a key or wand or whatever). When you restart a tall tale by voting on it, those items reappear on your quest table. Your tall tale book will also get filled in to the checkpoint. You will have to sail back to the last area though.

It is important that you put your tall tale down on the table first if you play with different people as I believe it takes the last checkpoint of whoever put the tale down.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Maybe they could have a net and winch you can control and when you stack loot on the net you can use it to offload. Granted, it moves slowly but would be cool:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am the kind who drops anchor a lot but IMMEDIATELY raises it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The key can sometimes be on an island and you have to find it. I have seen buggy, silly places for it (like on top of an NPC’s head or floating in the air) but it is always there. It can be hard to spit depending on location.

Basically it has almost always been within the first three “waypoints”. I HAVE had one where it was the last waypoint, though.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Imo cosmetics are better purchases than plunder passes.

The one time I bought a plunder pass and I ended up not playing as much because reasons and it made me feel bad about it.

I didn’t get one this season and now idgaf and instead bought cosmetics which are cook and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Every emissary goes up on megs and skelly ships, fwiw as helpful info.