Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
So my first 10 minutes in the game was met by someone blasting my solo-ship with cannon as I was still trying to figure out the controls/interface.

He eventually jumped off his ship, boarded mine. I did the opposite and jumped onto his, pulled up the anchor and set his sails, then jumped over board and watched his ship sail out into the ocean.

How far will his boat go? Or is there a way for him to get back to it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

xanif posted:

Someone pulled a worlds adrift ship stealing on me last night.

Pulled up anchor, set full sails, set ship to drive off the edge of the map.

Good times. My one regret is that I never got to do that to anyone else.

Did sink a bunch of people via ramming though.

I was doing this to a few people/ships last night.

Do you just get the merman with the flare to get back to your ship? Or are you stuck?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

xanif posted:

Yea. Merman. I thought we got sunk because I got back to the coast where I left the ship and had a "Dude, where's my galleon" moment.

Turns out, middle of fuckall nowhere is the answer.

Not even mad. Was hilarious.

When I used the merman on with just being a 1 person ship, it spawned me about 10 islands away with a fresh ship.

I'm guessing it's different with a multi-crew ship.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Any idea if they will add matchmaking/group finder to this?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Can you sink your boat by throwing the anchor down while going full tilt?

I had come upon some supplies/barrels and was about to pass them so I threw my anchor down. Jumped off my boat to grab some supplies, turned around to my boat going down. Wasn't closed to land, hadn't engaged in any fights.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

pve - event (hungering deep) - no details
weely events in between / finding chests underwater
cursed canibals - pve event
skeleton thrones - pve viewpoints / rewards
cursed sails - pve - event/new ai threat - - new ship type -
forsaken shores - new ai threat -

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
I'm not a big fan of the new way to pick up materials with a menu that fills your screen. Is there a way to change it back to the old system?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Cyberdud posted:

That's hard to believe Microsoft is behind this.

Streamers who are paid to stream are forced to show an #ad hashtag in their title, even for Twitch bounties (a mission board for streamers where studios put requests for streamers to stream their game for pay, Warframe loves to use that board)

I think this is more of an organic chain reaction caused by Summit1G overtaking Ninja to becoming the most subbed streamer on the platform with his Athena Chest stealing shenanigans. That generated twitch clips that generated youtube highlights that got more people aware of the game.

When the articles talking about him overtaking Ninja started to pour out, other streamers started to take notice. Then Ceez (CDNThe3rd), a popular Fortnite streamer, started playing again and that caught the attention of more Fortnite Streamers and then yesterday DrDisrespect jumped in, which caused everybody else to jump in, including Ninja.

And now the seas will be filled with the wailing of children.

God help us.

Sweet - thanks for this write up. I've enjoyed watching Summit play through SoT.

Is the goon discord any more populated lately?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Cyberdud posted:

Just watched the latest dev update video and it looks like they are in the process of implementing matchmaking changes in the nearby future.

If you are playing on a controller, you will have the option to be matched only with other players using a controller (as much for your crew as the other crew you meet on the seas). If you are using a mouse and keyboard OR are in a party with someone who is using a keyboard and mouse, you'll be matched with everybody else who didn't opt-in to that controller matchmaking thing.

That "FPS Keyboard and Mouse VS Controllers" debate is as old as time.

People are freaking out that the servers will now be emptier, but that's a funny notion knowing that servers top out at 24 players maximum if all the ships on the server are galleons.

Only result of this change, in my opinion, will be that the seas will be more challenging for K&M players as they will most likely meet other K&M players out on the seas.

And maybe controller players will not let K&M players in their party because they don't want to end up in the "unfair" queue.

plug in my controller and use my k/m?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Cyberdud posted:

First : There's a Xbox stream on Mixer today at 5PM EST on Xbox's channel. If you watch it logged into your Xbox live account, you will receive an onyx compass. I've been slowly building up the whole Onyx set with each Mixer stream they do like that.

Second : The new patch is coming tomorrow, you will have to redownload the whole game but it should be a smaller download and also reduce the size taken on the hard drive after it's all said and done.

1st: Would this link work for the 5PM EST stream? https://mixer.com/xbox

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Cyberdud posted:

That's the one.

Does the skin just show up in your inventory?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Decent patch notes, looking forward to playing.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

The readying animation after sprinting for a gun you already had out better be a lot shorter than the unholster animation I swear to god

It's not, and it feels reaaaally clunky. After you finish sprinting, you have to wait until your gun is up before firing. I hope they (can) adjust that.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Had a good tactic pulled on us a few weeks ago. As we were chasing a brig, they veered towards a skeleton boat. At first we laughed that they were going to get screwed, they took a few pot shots at it and then veered away. As we continued to chase them, the skeleton ship agro'd us. So we had to fight that off while trying to follow the brig. Was a good tactic I shall use in the future.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Sokani posted:

How soon is soon? Last I heard we were expecting an announcement of new content next month.

Yep - the announcement of the 'big announcement' was March 20th.

I'm still enjoying the game with friends, not on the discord much though.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Stumbled around for a while as a new player and my friend who is also a new player.. I think that red mermaid statue made him quit. We never got it

The red one takes a long time if you don't have a powder keg or two. With 3 of us sword swinging/blunderbussing it took us about 3 or 4 deaths each before it popped.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Thief posted:

it's pure chaos ftw

That about sums this event up.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Cyberdud posted:

Right now judging by the image they posted with the Insider release announcement, I assume there's ship parts and a new set of clothing / tools, with one piece unlocking per week you play an hour on? Do they give dabloons too?

An hour a week for 15 weeks I've read on reddit.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

PlushCow posted:

It might be a good weekend for gold AND pvp since the reaper's run voyage cosmetics are gone on the 20th too.

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1105936574045249536

I ran a reapers run last night, thinking you only needed to do it once to get the cosmetics.. :negative:

Also, bumped into 2 sloops and a brig all doing the reapers runs, all were friendly just wanting to get it done.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

A Moose posted:

The reaper's run mission is basically impossible for the last day, because everyone who ground out all 5 runs is so mad about it that they're camping the island and stopping everyone else from being as special as them.

Also because I literally can't see it anywhere else anywhere, the cosmetics go away forever tomorrow right? Do event cosmetics ever come back?

Just reserve yourself to getting no loot. Stop at the islands.. dig up the chests, if your boat gets sunk, whatever. Just takes a bit more time but is doable.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbTaMStHIM

Interesting.. I spotted..

- Shooting down masts
- Fishing
- Harpooning Megs
- Underground cave / mazes / traps for missions
- Star Navigation?
- Town halls/Guild halls?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

A Moose posted:

anybody notice floating barrels glitching out? Played for hours and every floating barrel sank and despawned as soon as I touched it or came within range. I'll get maybe 2 barrels before the whole group sinks.

On Friday I played for 6 hours-ish, I could have sworn the game was glitched. There were seagulls / barrels EVERYWHERE. Like you couldn't say in 1 direction for more then 15 seconds without seeing a ton of barrels and they would all sink as soon as you approached them.

It also seemed like opening barrels/inventory was a bit glitched using the F-E-FFF or F-Q-FFFF

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I haven't played in awhile, but I had the same worry. I assume you still start off the same every time you log in, which previously has meant stocking yourself and your ship up with supplies. Now it will include extra time to catch fish/other food and cook them etc?

Like everything sounds cool in this update, but I do worry that it may be adding a ton of overhead just to get going.

Yeah I posted something similiar on the reddit thread. It takes close to an hour to stock the boat, get to where you are going (say devils roar). Now you'll have to stop and fish, cook that poo poo up, and then get going. how long is that going to add?

People will argue "well you don't need to cook! just use banana's!". Banana's now do 1/5 of the healing power, you'll need 2.5 times as many just to cover the dmg you take.

I feel like they need to implement persistant storage, or boats.. Maybe cap the boat at a certain amount. But yeah..

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Cyberdud posted:

Fishing is pretty fun for a low impact session if you don't want to do anything stressful. But what usually happens is : you are fishing and something catches your eye and you are gone on an accidental adventure.

Also, don't forget to log into Mixer with your Xbox Live account and watch the Sea of Thieves Mixer channel. If you are in the first 140k people to witness 30 Arena match endings, you get an Ebon 6 pack. I'm just letting it sit there on my work PC while i'm working.

https://mixer.com/SeaOfThieves

when does that start?

*edit* looks like now

Also, trying to cook fish on a galleon with 4 people who are also all fishing is it a bit of a chore. Fishing up trophy fish that takes 8-9 minutes is also annoying.

diapermeat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 1, 2019

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

A Moose posted:

I'm really disappointed that we don't seem to be able to harpoon megalodons.

Really? That was even in their release trailer. Haven't had a chance to try

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

can’t harpoon megalodons you say

https://i.imgur.com/wdJW2de.gifv

holy fawk that's awesome.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Full set of sea of thieves gear and a pet on twitch prime. FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

So like, what should I look into and know if I'm considering this game, seeing as the OP is nearly two years old and completely loving useless.

Watch some twitch streams.
Buy the game pass (lots of $1 for 3 months deals out there) and try the game out.
Google it?