Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Reiley posted:

Found one of these for the first time and promptly squandered it on photo ops.

We were amazed that you could do this and then learned that the fire juice doesn't regenerate. Do these do a lot of damage, could we save one next time for a skeleton fort?

This is the best use for one of these and it makes me want to actually go and fight an Ashen Lord, which I never thought I'd say.

Also Athena rep sucks. Like... why would I do the least fun things possible while also painting a giant target on my back? We did some Science today to determine how hard we wanted to go with it, and the emissary quest doesn't even get you back up to rank 5, and barely even rank 4, so you'd definitely have to supplement it with another voyage, or at least part of one.

The ancient vaults are pretty fun (the map-finding part not so much, but the actual vault is fun), lost shipments are chill and for some reason just really check all the boxes for fun for me. Maybe because you get to stay on the ocean more? But either way, those two voyage designs are so much better than the garbage they've stuck Athena with, and I don't think I'll ever bother with Athena rep unless they add something interesting to work through it. As it is right now, it's just tedious and takes waaaaayyyy too long to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

dialhforhero posted:

I like them as a means to easily and somewhat quickly stock up on supplies before a long session. Added benefit of making a solid coin off of it.

We just did this when we started today. Grabbed two lost shipment voyages, picked up the supplies from the first clue on one, cancelled it, dropped the second voyage and did the same, then went off to do Flameheart/Order of Souls stuff well-stocked! Now I just wish there was a way to get a storage crate on demand.

Reiley posted:

You ever have your crew playing the 1812 Overture and then fire the ship cannons in time with the second half of the song? The time to reload a shot and fire again lines up perfectly and really enhances the power of the composition.

:same:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Reiley posted:

What is the counterplay if someone is just jumping around with their sword? Is it just jump around with your gun? Just always also stay moving?

I discounted blunderbombs pretty heavily up until recently, and now I refuse to board or deal with boarders without a full five on me. They're great for fast damage and disruption and they've help me improve my person-to-person play immensely.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm not going to say it's efficient, but there are few things as satisfying as watching a broken main mast repeatedly getting dropped because you won't stop pummeling the back of a ship with blunder bomb cannon shots.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've had surprisingly good times with literal kids in this game. More often than not they're just excited to play pirates and they'll actually play along with silly hostage games, and I have rarely if ever been trash-talked by a child. The adults, on the otherhand, are some of the most toxic players I've ever encountered. I play a fat, jolly pirate with a rainbow flag and rainbow unicorn figurehead and I constantly get fat- and homophobic slurs thrown my way by most of the "adults" we encounter.

It really sucks because I love using the megaphone to ask inane questions across ships, like, "does your boat have seatbelts? This is very important," and when I get funny responses in return it's immensely enjoyable, and those have been some of my most cherished moments playing the game. The trash-talking and toxicity makes me want to mute all other crews, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Can someone post another link to the Discord? The previous links have expired. Lemme bring my rainbow figurehead to y'all so we, too, can sail together aboard the Gay Agenda.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Reiley posted:

There's a link in the OP that still works: https://discord.gg/wtUFUE5

D'oh, thanks. Didn't even realize it was there 'cause I'm a dink.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Glagha posted:

Hey, I've started playing this recently and I saw something online saying that if you sink a ship their loot will float to the surface. Is that true? We sunk a skeleton ship the other day and nothing came up which is very possibly because they didn't have anything but I just wanted to be sure.

Yeah, it takes a moment, but once the ship sinks far enough (like, fully below the waves and heading towards the ocean floor), it despawns and all the loot that was on it floats to the surface. If you have the time to, whenever you sink a ship, stick around for a minute and wait for any goodies to float up.

It's entirely possible for a player ship to have nothing on it, so nothing will float up. It's entirely possible but extremely unlikely that a skeleton ship has nothing on it, but you could absolutely board the skeleton ship, pickup all their loot, and dump it overboard. I've stolen a fair few storage crates from skeleton ships this way, because storage crates are the most valuable loot for my crew.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That was 74 souls coming to celebrate the 75th and YOU BLEW IT

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

BlackIronHeart posted:

And on that note, the skelly fleet battles are just never worth it, regardless of ship and crew, IMO since stopping to pick up loot while getting railed with curse balls is no way to live.

I've learned to just skip the loot from everything but the final galleon. The last one (a sort of boss at the end) drops waaaay more loot than all the other ships combined. It's a comical amount.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
We hate delivering at Daggertooth so we devised a better method.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Had a session yesterday where we spotted a Reaper sloop doing a regular fort, so we trundled on over in our sloop and got the drop on them. After a bit of a protracted battle, we sunk them, took their stuff, and made for Reaper's Hideout to sell their flag. We ran into them on the way there and it looked like they were going to try to stop us from turning in the flag, but instead they toasted us and asked for a rematch.

We said "maybe" but we were low on supplies. So we let them chase us for a bit, and instead of trying to stop at an island for supplies, I hopped off our ship, sneaked on to theirs, and stole all of their cannonballs--three times. After the last go I told them we were now ready for a rematch!

We pulled around and both started taking shots at each other, neither making much progress. Eventually we all ran out of cannonballs and managed to anchor ourselves next to each other and fought to a legitimate stalemate in the middle of the ocean. No cannonballs, no grenades, no food, no wood. We were all stuck with ships on fire respawning and killing each other over and over.

Eventually we detangled and started making for an outpost, and between a convenient keg we picked up from some flotsam and a timely skelly sloop spawn, we managed to down their mast and leave them behind.

We saw them again on the Ferry, toasted each other, played some music, then went our separate ways.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The only reason I see to turn lanterns off is to make it harder for the other ships to assess what direction you're pointing in the dark. You can more easily determine what direction a ship is facing/turning if their lights are on.

Otherwise yeah, your ship silhouette contrasts much differently from everything else on the horizon so it's pretty easy to spot a ship in the distance, and once their lanterns render you've already known a long time that it's a ship.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I played the first one with a friend last night, and while we both chuckled at the audio recordings from the Disney ride, it was otherwise incredibly boring.

I'll be generous and just say we weren't the intended audience. :shrug:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Do people like spending 30-45 minutes at the end of their session just offloading loot? Because that was always the worst part of any play session for me and my friends and was usually done silently because we were all tired from the fun we had prior to that part.

All the conveniences making that portion of gameplay shorter are worth any and all opportunity costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I played a bit after the Sovereign's update and the convenience was incredibly nice, yeah. I was just remarking on the comments about less loot for slightly more money being a drag.

Taking, say, the original 45 minutes of turning in down to 15 minutes down to (maybe) 5 minutes (vanilla -> Sovereigns -> this update) is absolutely worth the overall cost of "less loot" for me since I hate the turn-in phase and often skipped it around the time I stopped playing.

By the time I really stopped playing, loot, for our group, had turned into ship decorations covering every inch of the deck trying to tempt other ships into fighting us for it. We weren't hardcore PvPers; instead we really enjoyed skirmishers that would do friendly trash talk over the megaphones and kids who were roleplaying. We wanted to either be a juicy target for someone else who wasn't hardcore but wanted to PvP, or a reward for attackers who were outmatched but bold enough to try where we'd attempt to stop the fight and hand over half our loot as a prize.