Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

orange juche posted:

Apparently it is now a thing to "reserve" servers for PVE by logging in to play with a full galleon, and then server-hopping until you wind up with 5 PVE-er galleons on the same server, form an alliance between all 5, and then go AFK and rubber band your controller sticks together instead of logging out, in order to keep the server locked out so PVPers can't get to you. The people who do this claim that they can do it because Rare should let them play however they want the same as they let PVPers hunt them across the map.

PVE players are scum.

The solution of course is to make the reaper flag send you to these servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Was sailing a brig with some mates and ran into a galleon, a few cannon balls and a cursed ballast ball and the whole thing sunk in like 15 seconds flat. It was ridiculous, ballet balls are basically my favourite thing now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just let people buy doubloons :shrug: That way they can skip the grind phase of time sensitive unlocks and they can turn it into gold if they want to buy other cosmetics.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah let people make a shortcut to looking cool. I don’t even care about the reputation buys like the above poster, because the rewards dont matter!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Arena should just be the normal map with journeys set to be ludicrously valuable, but with the ship count set to 30 :getin:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did my first reapers run last night, the two goons I did it with had done it before so we got it done very efficiently, leaving two people on shipwreck bay while the third sailed to the other two islands.

I've gotten real bit by the game again and if anyone in EU timezones want to do a bunch of bilgerat stuff (I still need to sink like 40 skeleton ships) for commendations do hit me up for some regular play.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There's a reason I never put cursed cannon balls into the ship barrels, you don't lose them when you die and you can carry effectively infinite cursed cannon balls since they're all their own stack.

For food it looks like cooked food is best held in barrels for storage and taken out for important battles, but you wouldn't fill your inventory up with cooked food when going onto an island.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Merijn posted:

Played with Demiurge and Captain Redfoam last night, and is almost forgotten how nice it is to sail with competent people. I've been doing lots of open crew hopping lately, and while educating newbies is fun, this was great. We did some merchant quests, sank the same hostile sloop no less than three times, sank 4-5 skeleton ships and did the Mercenary voyage of the Devils Roar.

I had a lot of fun too, it was great! Captain Redfoam has the perfect voice and mannerism for this game and he's just a delight to play with :allears:

When you guys set the front lanterns to red and blue and started flipping them off and on while yelling at that Brig to pull over I just lost it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1123232430750687233

Been a delay for the servers but the update is live now and it's 8.81GB on PC so you can start updating.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

For a while I was playing the game almost entirely as a PvP game and while I enjoyed fighting dudes targets were few and far between. So when my RL buddies quit the game I got myself into the mindset of the game as a chill PvE game with some PvP and honestly I like the game a lot better this way. I hit up goons on the discord and just get into some chill sailing and digging of chests and occasionally we'll see a pair of sails in the distance and sink some nerds.

The new content is really good and stockpiling a bunch of bait and then heading off to fish somewhere is a lot of fun if you've got people to talk poo poo with. The harpoon is just fantastic and the new damage models makes combat a lot more dicey and rewarding. I've learned to always shoot for specific points on ships now and I can reliably drop the anchor at close to medium range by just aiming for their capstone. Even sloops are a lot more interesting to fight now since shooting their tower will damage the rudder and mitigate their biggest advantage in combat (turn speed).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The tall tales are really cool, I've done 4 chapters now and the way they use riddles and stars to guide you is really good. For one star sign we had to find an island with a big rock, the hint was eagles landing but there's no eagle there! So we had to find the great eagle star sign and then walk around the rock until its feet lined up with the top of the rock exactly and dig there. It was so good and a much more advanced puzzle than I expected.

More than that though the framework they've established with this has vast and endless potential. Say you find a golden fishing lure and a wooden plank in a random chest on the beach with a star sign inscribed on it along with a hint for an island. You then sail to this island and follow the star sign to the next island and find the spot where your plank lines up with the terrain and fish there for a legendary catch.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In my experience the ‘attack’ tentacles don’t count and you shouldn’t bother shooting them. Go for the passive tentacles further out. In a sloop you only need to kill two tentacles and I’ve done it solo in less than a minute with 8 cannon balls. One time I was chasing another sloop who’d just left a fort, I got krakened and I still caught it

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nalesh posted:

How the kraken works is that one of the tentacles is the "head", which is what you need to kill.

No that's wrong. Each tentacle drops loot when you kill it and how many you need to kill is based off your boat, there is no 'head' tentacle, its purely numbers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Never use the anchor for anything.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I bought my last ranks and now I’m a pirate legend :toot:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nalesh posted:

The other day I jumped on a newbie sloop just after they grabbed a reapers chest and the first and last thing I hear as I round the corner into the lower deck of the sloop and oneshot him was "Please leave us alone :( " I felt kinda bad for em tbh

That chest was ours by right of conquest :colbert: I also really appreciated how you and Merrill anticipated the tavern ambush and we baited them out with a silk crate.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It’s so good when you’re running a keg to the bottom deck of a galleon and their mid deck is full of holes they didn’t bother to repair.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo fire!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hell yeah

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Man I wanna spend money on that. When are they gonna fix the coin store?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

During a storm you listen for the CLONK when you turn the wheel into neutral. And then you just compensate to keep your heading. Your buddy can check the map for you to help you navigate since the compass is useless.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

Use WASD for fishing, too.

What the gently caress.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just get on the goon discord tbh. We’re all try hard bittervets.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Each ship with the crested sails drops loot which includes a storage crate that contains 30 wood and 30 cannon balls, use that to last the fight. Each ship (with the exception of flame hearts ship) only takes 3 cannon balls to sink, don’t waste balls excessively.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lame Devil posted:

People make too big a deal about anchoring. Yes, you should never leave your anchor down while questing at an island, but using the anchor to park is no big deal.

Anchor turns are also very helpful in PvP to give better angles, but it requires a coordinated team.

It's a carry over from earlier versions where the game would only ever server migrate you with your anchor down. So you risked being switched if you did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You firebomb the masts because it freaks newbies out like nothing else.