Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I like that it creates "rarity" in the way that later on down the road you can still use those abandoned skins that others cannot. Having something that others may want but cant get is fun isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Apparently the crew options have changed back as well? I don't think I can run a closed crew anymore.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
GREAT JOB RARE :thumbsup:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Prostheticfoot posted:

It's like they developed the water, the galleon, and then sent everybody in a different direction for a few years. If you stand at the front of the sloop and look back and down at the ship hitting the water, you can't unsee it as a 3d model. It's like they worked the galli and sea into fluidly reacting with each other, and didn't bother with the sloop. One type of npc at launch? Well,just put some plants on em and put in a health Regen during the rain. Also the whole kraken buildup during the betas and before launch was really weird considering what we got.

I'm having fun but these guys don't make a whole lot of sense.

I think as long as people are having fun, that might give Rare a sense of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" kind of mentality. Hopefully not, but I'd like to think Rare has a plan to keep new players joining and old ones around as well.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Sundae posted:

I'm sympathetic to the troubles of the one-man sloop crew, but on the other hand, that's also why I DON'T SAIL SOLO. I think solo crews should have an option to check a box before loading into the server that says they're sailing a ship without a crew in a pirate game, but don't want to be accosted by pirates. The game then uninstalls itself and issues a refund to the credit card.

Idgi, I love sailing solo and accosting other multi-man crews and shouting at them like a crazed salty sea-dog about how I'm gonna forcibly relieve them of their booty. 7 out of 10 times they run and I laugh maniacally into my mic as I chase them for as long as it takes me to run out of cannonballs (literally hours in same cases)

10/10 times they log off and then I know the true meaning of solo crew and I shed a single salty tear.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

nopantsjack posted:

"we had just finished fighting two hundred skeletons with piss poor combat and some players ruined it by getting into a multi-player naval fight with us"

they're obviously on the wrong side of history here

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Last night I was playing casually in a single man sloop, doing a Gold Hauler (Lv 20) mission and getting quite frustrated with this new glitch that keeps occurring with riddle quests that don't complete/unlock the next clue. After turning in the treasure I did manage to get from the "red X" type treasure map, I cancelled the voyage and decided, before turning the game off in frustration, to do a quick scouting of the area for other pirates. As luck would have it I happened upon another sloop at anchor off of Shipwreck Bay. I sailed hastily at first toward them, then slowed quite a bit and managed to set myself up perfectly for a broadside at close range. Their ship was positioned in the most disadvantaged position facing away from me toward the island. Of course I gave the courteous "Ahoy!" and received an "Ahoy!" and "Well played!" in return. I spied two of them, one of which was returning to the ship with a chest. Immediately after the courtesies, I opened unrelenting fire on the ship, killing the pirate on the top deck and eventually striking a gunpowder barrel stowed in the hold. A very short time later I sailed away slowly to preview the carnage and mitigate the risk of a pirate in the water. After a quick recon and returned to my pleasant surprise, about five seafarer's chests and a captains chest.

That made the whole glitchy quest debacle worth it to me.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

The Protagonist posted:

I like the purity of all reward at point of sale. No participation trophies, you get paid and recognition when you deliver what was ordered bitch.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Honestly, I kinda take comfort in that I rank among the worst scum of the seas. Such, to the point, that my friends and I now actively entertain ourselves fighting three to five ships at once, claiming to be Megalodon worshipping cultists who take great offense at the hunt of our savior. At least, before then, it was somewhat tactful hunting for ships with treasure; now it’s just indiscriminate murder.

:golfclap:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Imagine a goon fleet of 5 Galleons simultaneously cronching on the dick-shaped-fruit making slurping sounds into the mic, flying the rainbow colors and blaring "In The Navy" by The Village People whilst bombarding and boarding the only remaining pleb sloop (whom also happens to be an intolerant American) lol

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If you meant "In the Navy" then this game is finally good.

read the post right after the post you quoted. the very next post.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Kitchner posted:

In case anyone hasn't seen it the skeleton thrones event ends this week, next week is the gunpowder skeleton event where skeletons have learned how to carry gunpowder barrels.

They also said they are changing the reputation purchases from the events to buy an entire level rather than some XP. This means that it may actually be quicker to get to level 48 and just do the events for 6 weeks than it is to actually grind the last two levels.

I think I missed this entire thing, should I be disappointed?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I am excite

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Kitchner posted:

Rare is hiring

:ohdear:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Skeletons chasing me with TNT barrel

:stare:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
i kind of fell off for a little bit. please entice me with juicy details of what's to come in the near future :allears:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Babe Magnet posted:

In less than two weeks we're getting a map extension that includes a volcano that goes off every now and then and throws giant flaming boulders at you, as well as ship cosmetics like cannons and anchor caps, and we're finally getting rowboats. There have been a bunch of new clothing and item and boat cosmetic sets introduced, there are now enemy skeleton pirate ships you can go fight that shoot cannonballs that gently caress with you like poison balls or ones that make you dance while your ship sinks. You can also get those cannonballs and shoot other people with them. You can play a drum now and there's a megaphone to harass people from long distances.

Skeletons can spawn carrying kegs and using sniper rifles now, there's a megolodon that shows up and eats your ship every once in a while, you can form alliance with other parties and split loot/betray them after they gather loot because you can see them on the map, and you can put up a pvp flag that makes you glow all red and spooky on the map.

I think that's most of the stuff they've added since launch. Oh, and there's a third ship type now. Two sails, 3 manned, fast as hell.

Most of that I already knew, but a volcano, rowboats and pvp flag you say? Well that's news to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Nalesh posted:

Today in sea of thieves, I found an explosive keg, stole a sloop while holding said explosive keg, and then rammed said sloop into a brigantine and detonated the explosive keg inside their hull.

They did not take it well.

:golfclap: