Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Multiplayer with xbox people will probably also help with playercount?

Anyway, I'm super interested in this, but microsoft store is telling me it's 7200 yen (I'm from europe) so I'm not sure what the gently caress. Guess not today :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
How are the boat/sail mechanics in this game? Is there wind and cool mechanics with it like in Pirates!, or are they just motorboats with sails? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

There is wind, there is hoisting and lowering and angling multiple sales, anchors, storms, etc. That part of the game is handled very well and the way the ships buck and heave with the water is the best.

Thanks!

poo poo I want this game so bad. Gonna wait for release though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Q posted:

How big are the servers going to be on release though? Right now, I believe it's capped at 16 or 20, which is 4 - 5 galleons per map. Even if there's only two galleons, and the rest were duos, that'd be at most 8 ships per map. Given how big the world is, that's not exactly a lot of merchant activity.

Ehud posted:

Yeah I think they need to expand the number of ships. It’s a weird balancing act though. If it’s two densely populated you’ll never get any quests done.

yeah, that's not really a bad thing, IMO, these kinds of games thrive on pve interrupted by pvp, not the other way around.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Since it's an online game if microsoft is in this for the long haul I think it has a good chance of getting somewhere. Most online games are pretty lovely at launch. Warframe and elder scrolls online were turbo trash at launch but now they seem to be doing well with tons of people having fun.

If microsoft pulls the plug because it doesn't get enough sales/players straight at launch though, :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Where I live, new AAA games used to cost what is now 12-15 euros when I was a kid :v:

Of course, we've also had some 100% inflation happen in these ~20 years, but still.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If there's even a tiny bit of realism in the game, sloops should be much faster against the wind and galleons with it, so you can always run away with either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Chain shot for killing sails, stern chasers on both ships. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
PS

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Minecraft's procgen is kinda bad tbh.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but my point is, the poster child of procgen doesn't really have that good a procgen, it was built by a single guy in his spare time while making a game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
TBH there's a lot of really lovely pitfalls for procgen. The best way for a game like this would probably be to make prefabs (say, connectable parts of islands and some whole islands for smaller ones) and then when you want a new archipelago to explore you throw a new seed at the game, but that can get expensive quick.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DogonCrook posted:

I noticed blackwake is on sale. Why did that game not do well? It seems to have a lot of features that people suggest this game needs. Has anybody that tried this beta also tried blackwake that can compare? To be honest blackwake looks better but doesnt have the player base and islands. It kinda looks like this ripped them off and dumbed it down which isnt always bad im just curious.

There's always servers full of players in my experience, so I can't really say it doesn't have the player base.

I haven't tried this beta, but from the videos I've seen of sea of thieves, it's quite different. Blackwake is a rather fast paced ship shooter, and the only game mode is 3v3 ship tdm. Each team gets 2 7 crew and 1 13 crew ships, and they shoot at eachother. You can also assault enemy forts now, if your team is winning hard enough to kill the enemy ships and also their fort defenses, though that's not as fun as the ship shooting bit imo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this is the most star citizen thing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's just simulating the coin exchanges

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can you sail reverse tho?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
aw, that sucks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"prime time" during the first weekend of a game that sports 16 player instances sounds worrying

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

Legendary pirates don't have to download the whole game again after a patch.

this better be bullshit, i'm paying for 10Gbit internet for a reason

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't see anything in the TOS about metapirates, so good on him indeed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Blue On Blue posted:

Just had a thought

Has anyone tried to goon swarm an instance yet ?

I'm trying to think of how you can get multiple crews into the same instance, other than luck

wait about a month, then all the players will fit in one instance :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
guns of icarus was such a nice game, why didn't it ever get more players?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in guild wars 2 it took like 3 days for people to discover the flying mount in the latest expansion, and this was solely because a) they contacted the data miners and told them not to spoil that poo poo for people until the rabbit was out of the hat, and b) the bread crumbs only appeared after you finished the main story

and guild wars 2 is a vastly larger game compared to this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
300 man frigate when

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
MW guns were definitely mostly sidegrades. I remember playing with LMGs, and the first one was the buzzsaw, the russian one was much slower firing but higher damage so you could use it as a semi-auto rifle with a 200 round mag, m60 was the high dps but can't hit poo poo spray&pray gun.

sidegrades own, but they especially own when you don't have to unlock em tho

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is that from pony princesses? that owns lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:colbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
black sails was such a scam of a show, there was not *one* ship with black sails in the entire thing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Sad-brained coward, too scared to find like-minded strangers, gets owned by malicious ne'er-do-wells on the open seas. Docks at occupied harbors and doesn't scan the horizon.

Let this be a humbling reminder to you all when you think you are good at the game. This is your competition.

Yeah I always say I'm bad at video games (because I am, anyone actually good at games destroys me easily), but the reality is the vast majority of people online play on a whole different level, so I mostly do ok. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Pubbie goes in the cage, cage goes in the water, pubbie goes in the water. Shark's in the water.

aqua_screaming.aiff

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

Oh dear lord yes, also more sea-cop RP opportunities.

Install virtual audio cable and link the virtual output to your mic http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm (not free)

Then roll up on someone while blasting the cops theme over speaker horn

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

this program is free and allows for slightly more control than vac.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Microtransactions are awesome when done right since you get to choose which bits of game you spend your money on.

They're very rarely done right though. Also, has this game been on sale yet?

fake edit: well, poo poo. "Sea of Thieves trenutno ni na voljo. Če želite igro igrati v konzoli Xbox, potrebujete Xbox Live Gold (naročnina je naprodaj ločeno)."
"not available at the moment", is this game region locked or something?

real edit: windows store does show the buy button but price is in jpy instead of eur, what the gently caress?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it looks like I can buy it fine, just not through the webpage microsoft redirects my browser to.

Thanks guys, I'll probably buy this when it's on sale again.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i bought this on the sale and finally got to playing yesterday, after years of looking at it.

i'll probably end up playing solo like half the time due to none of my friends having it, and having stupid schedules where I might have to quit the game randomly, so I have questions. i immediately figured out sailing, it's pretty great, even if I was a bit disappointed by the lack of ability to sail in reverse :v:

anyway, as a solo player i'll be running away a lot so i want to know at what angles are different ships the fastest? I imagine the biggest ship is fastest downwind, is sloop is fastest at 90 degrees, with medium ship being around 45?

also, as far as I could see during the little time I played, the sabre is pretty much required for pve beause you can't bring much ammo off the boat with you, but in pvp it seems like a combo of blunderbuss+rifle is just flat out better?

also, i got surprised by the fact that you can get murdered within outposts. still managed to kill 1/4 tho lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

it's a tiny bit more complicated than this, but the general idea is that the galleon is the fastest with tailwind (going in the same direction the wind is going), the brig is fastest with crosswind (side) and the sloop is fastest with headwind (into). If your boat is smaller than the other guys' boat, you want less wind if you're running or chasing.

welp, wish i checked this thread before i went playing tonight. it did end up in a funny chase though where two dudes in a brig were chasing after me (despite already stealing everything from my ship while i was diving for treasure at one of them quest shrines), so i jumped off my boat with 5 fire bombs and set them and their entire brig on fire before they could kill me. unfortunately, their boat crashed into an island when i was dead while my boat sailed past, so i couldn't circle around to them fast enough to finish them off. they eventually managed to put the fire out and ran away lmao. if i remembered to use anchor to stop and turn around i could have probably sunk them, but it was my first real battle so i only remembered after they ran away :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh poo poo, i haven't even touched the harpoon yet lol

Babe Magnet posted:

that's pretty good for your first real fight! and yeah those mermaid shrines are a trap, especially if solo. I wouldn't recommend them unless you've got a specific reason to go down there, and you're prepared to lose all your loot lol

recently solo sloops actually got a considerable buff, it's like you're using an upgraded version of the sloop, so you can be surprisingly hardy.
yeah, the two guys also seemed like complete newbies, they had the advantage of being able to steer and shoot and still didn't hit me unless our boats were really close together (not that i was any better), they were probably on their first or second session like me

re: shrines, i got a couple messages in a bottle and the first shrine gave me a green potion worth 6000 that took me from level 1 to level 10 with mystics while i spent the rest of the game session handing in lovely chests to gold hoarders for tiny amounts of gold/progress, so i figured i might as well also do the 2nd one too, since i'd have to lose my poo poo 4/5 times and still just about break even. i'm sure higher tier voyages are better but intro ones are just plain bad lol

aside from what i've asked here, i'm exploring the map completely blind and it's been really fun so far

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i managed to clear one of the shrines correctly yesterday and got the good loots out of it, but what happens if your boat sinks? do you just drown yourself to respawn at outpost and go get the loot from the mermaid after?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i tried doing some of that with a couple friends on a brig last night and we kept getting instantly dumpstered lmao
2 days ago i tried doing it solo just to figure out how it works and i'd have won easily if i bothered buying some cannonballs before leaving port, the other guy was p. clueless

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I did solo and got a couple of wins and then got in an unfun 30 minute slog where I'd shoot, he'd disengage, rinse and repeat over and over again.

Duo sloop is way more fun imo

yeah i tried again yesterday, this time with actual supplies, and it took like 30 minutes. the other guy was clearly by far a better player than me. he kept coming to my ship and owning me and trying to drive it into the deathzone or burning it down. i think his ship eventually hit an island and sank, cause i suddenly got the "you win" screen while he was swimming near my boat again, several minutes after our last cannon shootout. or maybe he finally ran out of planks idk

it was fun enough for me because i was constantly under pressure, but i bet he just thought i should give up already lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
steam says i have 128 hours in this stupid game now, and my only regret is i haven't bought it earlier because i figured it wouldn't be very good solo and none of my friends wanted to buy/play

what a perfect monkey island rear end pirate game. i managed to get to pirate legend just before i went away for xmas/ny

now i try to do a legend of veil voyage or two dives for servants per day (because apparently everyone's queuing defenders?). or sometimes both since the voyage loot gives a crap ton of cannonballs i can proceed to empty into the other guy after selling off the loot

still wish the sailing mechanics were a bit better (let me go reverse if ship and sail are directly into the wind :v:), but the game's a ton of fun regardless

matchmaking also seems way better than in early december, i'm actually getting some wins now