Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Merijn posted:

The only valid use for the harpoon rowboat is hauling cargo from point A to the ship and from the ship to point B. gently caress actually carrying those dozens of crates you get from the Emissary MA voyage. :colbert:

We use them as storage crates until we find actual storage crates so we can get our ship ridiculously over stocked. Also when we hit the anchor to pick up shinies from barrels but they're now behind us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Zwabu posted:

Okay my bud and I have been playing SoT for a few weeks now as noob sloopies. We're pretty terrible at the close quarters gun/sword combat but slowly getting better. Here's some general observations I have that might be helpful to the new player:

-Audio cues are really huge. You can hear the sounds of swimmers in the water, or someone getting on your ladder. There are audio cues for when you kill a player or when your cannon rounds hit. Your boat makes concerning timbers shuddering/creaking sounds if it takes on a significant amount of water alerting you that you need to start bailing water soon. (I feel like they've changed this recently to make those sounds earlier). I'm just starting to get more attuned to these.

-As Thief posted, fire damage by itself is the least effective in ship to ship combat and it's very difficult to sink a ship with fire alone unless it's allowed to spread completely unchecked. You can try this yourself sometimes and set your own ship on fire with a few firebombs and see how long it takes to do critical damage or sink. The main benefit of fire is it becomes a serious complication when added to other major problems like holes in your ship or being boarded and other pirates killing you aboard your ship. It causes visual chaos, injures you in a way that has to be addressed and makes it difficult for you moving about the ship to do damage control or fighting boarders. But for a competent crew simply being firebombed by swimmers is mainly a nuisance, although it could slow a pursuer.

-Actions that would have more effect on a pursuing ship would include boarding them and anchoring them and/or killing any crew, or mining them with a powder keg, either from the water or by boarding them. I suppose sniping crew with the Eye of Reach would be good but I'm not very good at this, particularly when there are any waves, I view sniping mainly as a means to keep pressure on the pursuer or the prey and deter them from being on top of their sail adjustments.

-The only way to catch up or gain distance on identical ship types is to do a better job with sail adjustments and/or utilize rocks and islands to force adjustments on the other ship as previously posted, or pin them against an island or the edge of the map. There are also specific game properties to know like sloops are fastest when going straight upwind (sails "facing" the wind) and can gain on larger ships upwind but are slower in every other direction of wind.

-Bailing water is a huge priority over patching holes, at least in sloops. You can outbail a huge amount of leakage in a sloop, or at least keep up, and patch a hole here and there when you get ahead of the water level a little bit. Even just PvEing and fighting skelly ships or megalodon/Kraken you can improve your damage control priorities and skill.

-Whether you sink or can repair/bail through it seems to be determined by the water level in your ship rather than a specific amount of damage/holes absorbed. In a sloop, water can cover the chart table and you can still survive and bail through it but you are super close to sunk. If it reaches the top metal hoop on the barrel next to the shelf near your voyage table you are sunk. I'm guessing that wave action washing water through the window may accelerate this but not sure.

-Harpooning the other ship tends to be very helpful, it keeps you in their "blind spot" for cannon shots and lets you set up your own better. Obviously you are now in close range to be sniped, firebombed, or boarded by a swimming or sword lunging enemy. It's very useful fighting skelly ships to harpoon them and gives you a huge advantage, given that the main edge skelly ships get is hitting you with magic balls and taking the crew or ship out of comission in various ways with those. You need to keep a man on the harpoon though to ensure the other ship stays "on the hook".

-In general I feel that close quarters combat is OP compared with cannon play in this game. With the exception maybe of a small ship being heavily outgunned where a galleon barrage can sink it quickly. It's very easy for an enemy in a smaller ship to defeat or sink a larger one if they are much better at close quarter fighting and can get someone aboard the other ship and kill and spawn camp the crew of that ship. So if you are "winning" a ship battle heavily, you have to become aware that the only way for the other crew to get back into the game is by boarding you, and you have to be prepared to either avoid getting boarded (sail faster or away from other ship or repel boarders by shooting them in the water, shooting or slashing as they attempt to board, or blunder bombing the deck as they hit the top of the ladder) or be prepared to deal with them once they have boarded.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to get better at close quarters combat. It feels like the answer is probably playing arena, especially sloops, because you can constantly be fighting with cannons, boarding or being boarded, and/or fighting it out close quarters at the chest turn in spots. PvP encounters are much more sporadic in adventure mode and you can go hours between them. I suppose you can play Adventure mode in such a way where you don't bother with voyages and engage every ship you see but it would still be less efficient than Arena for leveling skills IMO.

I'll put at least one firebomb via cannon into a ship if only to make the top deck a zone of attrition where a glancing cannonball hit might actually take somebody out instead of getting a direct hit. Close quarters combat seems to be a lot of jumping around while your blunderbuss reloads or wild sword swinging. My adrenaline always kicks in though and makes me clumsy in close quarter.

I love using the throwable blunder-bombs to knock people off ladders, when I can't quite tell if somebody is on or not I'll toss one at each ladder to make sure they're clear. It surprises me how often some pirate is just on the bottom rung waiting for the coast to be clear to climb up and anchor.

Phuzzybond makes good SoT videos, he keeps a weird calm almost at all times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q48AD_rlzAc

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Zwabu posted:

The tricky part for me with blunders is the timing. If you're reacting to seeing a guy atop your ladder he's already aboard and you missed your chance. Does the blunderbomb knock off a guy clinging to bottom of the ladder if you hit the deck at the top?

It goes through decks/sides so if they get hit, and being on the ladder would put them in the splash zone, they'll let go of whatever they're grabbing. It might not knock somebody off a ship but it will make them let go of the cannon/anchor/wheel/ladder. Unless they re-grab that ladder fast they're not getting back on. This is just my experience though; maybe if you're at the far edge of the grenade's sphere of influence, or whatever you want to call it maybe it doesn't force you to let go. This tactic might not work so well if the pirate you're knocking off is carrying a splody boy though. (gunpowder)

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

DreadCthulhu posted:

Sigh, when you have 4 people on your pubbie galleon, and 1 proceeds to constantly drop the anchor, throw away your loot overboard, and change the flag to the reaper's flag so that everybody comes chasing after you. And the other pubbies can't figure out how to brig him. Cheap entertainment for some bored kid.

If you're going into an open crew whatever, your only expectation should be nonsense multiplied by even more nonsense. God forbid you have in game chat above 5% if only to hear other crews try to scheme. Your *sigh* should have been when you chose open crew, not with the open crew. I only go into open crew to slap on cool ship skins and put down an athenas, if they want it. I'll ride it out a bit from that point but once 2 or 3 of the maps are cleared ppl drop because ... people don't usually have 2-5 hours to spend on video games every day.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

ILL Machina posted:

Anchoring for a power turn is still a thing, but I always hate it if you end up on the wheel without any help. Especially on the brig and gal, the anchor takes forever to raise solo.

There's a sublime joy in cruising into a dock and perfectly coasting into position. Harpoons can help a bit if you're unanchored, too

Coasting into a perfect dock is always sweet, but unless I'm solo slooping my normal crew prefers spit over dock for convenience sake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kZloJqOzk4

I (mostly)solo'd via island a flameheart the other day. I went to the island and scuttled, thinking somebody would come and do it and I'd leech credit. After an hour or so I tried one of the island cannons to de-rez one of the ghost ships, and once I did that the other cannons on the island started shooting at the ghost ships.(plunder valley). They're way worse shots when shooting at their own though, so I started taking down the middle ships(in groups of three, the middle ship seems to drop the supply crate and then the other two guard ships warp out). I'd pop a supply ship, rowboat out, grab it, rinse and repeat. Then the second wave where the ashen sail ships drop supplies AND loot, I'd rowboat out, grab it all, row back and hide it all in the bushes. One caveat is that once you have the distance dialed in on a stationary island cannon, you'll hit every time. Of course some times the fleet's rout is too far out every once in a circle but thats what alt-tabbing is for.

Once it was just flameheart and guards my friend joined and apparently my sloop was being joyrided by a brig crew who weren't expecting pvp; he killed all 3 and drove it to the island; we loaded all the bush loot onto the sloop, finished off flameheart and spent like 15 minutes selling loot. Those supply crates are all you really need, so long as you've got your cannon aim down.

once you get enough ghost loot in one place it starts to try to become a singularity

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Weird thing happened last night, my friend and I were killing the ghost ship event when a galleon came and stayed pretty far out of range. They invited both of us to a voice chat through the xbox client (we are on PC) where they started talking hilarious amounts of trash talk about hacking us and sinking us if we don't give them our loot. Is there a way to see who is on your server so you can invite them to chat? We were never in range of them to where they could see our tags and we were never boarded. Their chat ended up backfiring since they sounded like a bunch of younger kids playing with their dad so instead of us trying to avoid them we promptly sent them to the bottom of the ocean after the ghost ship final wave when they tried to come bully the loot away.

On the xbox companion app there is a 'recent players' sort option under friends&clubs. If you get close enough to talk to them or see their gamer tag they should show up there and then you can message them or invite to groups or voice chat. I hardly ever open that app though so whenever I do I just have a bunch of old trash talk messages waiting for me.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

V for Vegans posted:

I was playing with randoms the other day and we were parked in an island and one was just shooting off a random cannon on the island despite us having found all the loot, and then a player ship rolled through and dropped some dude off who went below deck and threw a bunch of fire bombs, told us to gently caress ourselves, and then died to the fire. We tossed water on it for about 30 seconds and then sailed off as if nothing had happened. Was that you?

It takes so long to sink to a fire, its really only good for attrition damage so you can one shot people and inducing panic. Plus if you have a danger hole it makes it stupid easy to put out all the fire, then board it up. Does it seems like a fire bomb fired from a cannon start bigger fires though, or is that just confirmation bias?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

smoobles posted:

Lmao, we do this too. Burn the ship while dancing.

I also had to leave early once, so I invited my crewmates to the front of the boat to play a song together, then i said "alright bye", threw a firebomb on the floor, then jumped overboard and quit the game.

I think one of the achievements is to play a shanty while your ship sinks, I don't remember if scuttling is necessary.

I play SoT for 4-5 hour increments in between doing email queues for work and mturk stuff, and my 'video driver has crashed' will come up about once. Randomly. Today it happened after I successfully got onboard and tucked on a galleon, probably open crew. I was hoping to practice my patience and wait for somebody to bring a 'splody boy on board so I could wreak havoc but when you d/c you just end up at your ship wherever it is.

Also its a twitch drops week, if you link your SoT to twitch and watch an affiliated streamer for 30 minutes every day you'll get a Halo/Spartan themed piece of ship livery or maybe a weapon skin. Today is the wheel.

*edit* link to the shiz: https://www.seaofthieves.com/twitch-drops

Sekhmnet fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 24, 2020

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Iymarra posted:

So I'm looking at playing this but worried about being spanked around by other crews.
Any advice? Probably playing with husband and our gaming friend.

The only advantage anyone has over you is experience, there aren't like better weapons or ships and stuff, just cosmetic improvements. Speaking of cosmetic improvements there are 2 days of twitch drops this weekend, sat/sun.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Thief posted:

if you farm wooden planks the only way for anyone to sink you is to board your ship and murder you as you try to repair

an ez way to gain an edge in pvp is to shoot pigs/chickens and cook their meat. eating cooked food will overheal you in a way that automatically recharges your health meter if you stop taking damage for a few secs

but also don't worry or stress. this is one of the only games that's actually still fun to get beaten in so long as they don't spawn camp you until you chose to scuttle your own ship

The 'skeleton ships' - usually sloops unless you're on a brig or bigger - now drop supply crates. Supplies are in effect, worth waaay more than treasure. Having a fully stocked supply crate and getting sunk is basically just supplying your enemy. Put your poo poo away, keep what you want to lose in a crate between the cannons.

Losing an hours worth of loot probably feels bad, but losing an hours worth of being on top of small islands, sea clusters of barrels and random shipwrecks worth of supplies seems worse.

TLDR don't keep a supply crate full of goodies on board for sombody to take, otherwise, leave a supply crate full of goodies on the dock before you quit.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I'd second that advice. Spending 30 minutes stripping a couple islands for resources and getting sunk feels worse than losing loot, for sure. My crew and I like to use storage crates as food transport for land based fights. Fighting Red Ruth (Or Graymarrow, or hell, Briggsy) burns through a ton of good food and we're glad to have brought it all with us instead of trying to source it from barrels on the island.

To add on to that, if you're gonna do the tornado event(new boss on an island shiz) you're probably gonna want to have a bunch of cooked food(food that gives you regen after you eat it) because, even solo, this new event is GOING to take like an hour, and you're gonna want good food to do it with.(I watched Pace22(sea of thieves twitch top broadcaster) do it fresh with a full galleon crew and it still took almost 30 minutes) The reward/vs time spent on these ashen wind bosses seems askew, I'm guessing it will get nerfed in one way or another soon. Something that absolutely takes a solo player an hour + to finish that is worth like 1/2 a skull fort's loot, despite the not-at-all that cool flame thrower effect for the skull, seems ripe for nerfdom. (You have to hold down the flame thrower for several seconds per section of boat in order to catch flame, and in PVP its next to useless especially underwater)

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Its amazing how much, I guess confidence? or at least not caring about losing treasure and not getting an adrenaline spike that makes you shakey really counts in pvp. That is probably true for most pvp games, but learning to let go and have fun really does make you a better player. Thats why I like the twitch drops thing, you watch top players and even they get sunk every once in a while. At this point I really don't care that much about the treasure, but losing a well stocked ship really does bite. Its why I don't like keeping a ton of goodies in a crate on the top deck, its too easy to steal. I prefer to keep just cannonballs and *some* wood and food in there, but nothing that would reduce us to starter supplies if it got yoinked.

My playing style has also evolved from getting a better system, my buddy gave me a big box of 'pandemic supplies' that was basically a new computer's worth of parts right before the stay at home order back in march. Its nothing fancy but it lets me play current games without having to go completely low settings and its made pvp in sea of thieves a thing I can do against even non-xbox players.

And to comment on Merijn's post.. WE'RE FRIENDLY is usually the battle cry of somebody who's about to keg you, I'm surprised they allowed that. I think Rare stopped making multi-crew achievements a thing after the introduction of the megalodon and the thrones thing because of all the betrayals.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Zwabu posted:

The mysterious gentleman who tucked aboard our ship after we sunk his (only to reveal himself when we were fighting a skelly ship) left this cryptic message on our chart. We're still trying to decipher its meaning:

They did tweet this out today
https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1294544359111766016

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

glitchwraith posted:

So, there is a spooky lantern I want to get that requires killing a rainbow of skeletons in that one raid. Am I correct that, if I see the raid active, I can just roll up and start killing skeletons to try for the commendation? Assuming of course the players that activated it don't kill me first to protect their loot.

Fort of the damned players will probably see you coming and murder you. I'd recommend getting a crew together to just do the raid, its one of the things for the summer event.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QUQgXG1_xxYYZSXHF3Giy5UzN1Qdc-Dw-eeRWBSSwmg/edit#gid=0

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Rad, thanks all. I'm catching up on everything in the thread since the addition of emissaries since that seems to be the turning point for the current state of the game. But in the meantime I have a bunch of rookie pirate questions (and I'm sure I'll post more as I go, hope it's not a bother):
  1. Do ships just sink on their own when left unattended? I saw an older post that seemed to imply this and my girlfriend and I seemed to experience it when hunting around for a vault key (we had tucked the ship on the other side of the island to hide it)
  2. How common are skeleton ships, and is there any pattern to when they spawn/despawn? We saw a galleon that seemed to run from our sloop and decided to find out why, and once we (unintentionally) rammed and boarded them we realized it was skellies. For some reason they seemed to be fighting Flameheart's ghost ships? Once they eventually turned and sunk us we tried to swim over and board them again, but they just dove beneath the waves and disappeared. :stare:
  3. Any tips for staying aware of threats from the sea while actually doing things on islands? We're not very aggressive and are both fairly new, so we’ve missed most of the content that is old hat to you guys. We often want to actually experience those parts of the game rather than just attack and steal from other players all day, but we’ve frequently been raided while on or just coming off of an island where we were hunting treasure. I try to keep a relaxed attitude towards being sunk and stolen from, but when it's just brutal and trollish rather than "oh man, they were really good" or "that was a funny/clever idea" it can get frustrating to lose our poo poo multiple times in a session (especially when it's the same assholes back to back who seem to just be lying in wait for us to dig something up again. How do you hide a brigantine?!).
  4. I saw someone post about there being two different types of sword lunges, but I’ve only noticed one. How does that work?
  5. Any tips for fighting skeletons effectively? Whether I duel with parries or just juke and slash, I sometimes find myself taking a fair amount of damage and even dying to gangs of just gangs of regular ones who have a mix of weapons and can spread out. We use a lot of food and it makes me think poo poo like ashen lords and skeleton forts will be hell.
  6. Related: I can't figure out a go-to pve loadout. I need a sword for when there's no ammo crates, so that leaves me with one gun. The blunderbuss works well on the ones that mob you, but then you're useless against barrel assholes (who are way too common to be fun). Pistol gives you some range but barrel rushers still get closer than I like before I can fire, thanks to that painful penalty time between aiming and being able to fire. Sniper rifle ironically lets you fire quicker, but is a bitch to aim in close quarters because of the artificial reticle slowdown. Sword/pistol seems the least bad overall so far, but does anyone have protips we might have missed?
  7. Is there any downside to flying an emissary flag? I know ostensibly that makes you more of a target, but aside from two notable exceptions, everyone who sees our sloop and isn’t doing emissary poo poo themselves attacks us anyway.
  8. Related to the above, we’ve been thinking about trying out a brigantine instead of our sloop to have more guns and speed and hopefully look like less easy pickings. How feasible is it for us to two-man a brig?

Rain will slowly fill a ship but it takes a LOT of time to sink it that way, somebody either sabotaged you or you had a danger hole in the back that you didn't see

Skeleton ships that are already out and about are easy to identify by the crazy sails and party lights, you can usually spot 1 or 2 in each region. The encounters are a little different, it will either be a skelly ship, a meg or a kraken(a kraken only comes if there aren't any events like a skull fort or flameheart up) Skelly ships drop supply crates now, which are super useful, and all the events boost an emissary flag if you're flying one.

Always take a look to the horizon for other ships. There might be one hiding behind and island or some rocks so don't just scan the horizon once you get to your destination but be checking every few moments so you don't get snuck up on. Also if you're on an island for a really long time it boosts the odds of somebody just sailing by and coming in for an easy kill. Or just stealing all your supplies, drawing a dick on your map and leaving a banana on the stove to burn your ship down.

There is the regular hold the attack button down lunge, and the block+lunge where you jump at just the right moment. It takes practice but it isn't that difficult at all.

Fighting skellies is about priorities, kill the pistol ones first, then shotgunners, then the sword/unarmed ones. The sword/unarmed ones should come at you so you can hit all of above with your sword. Smacking them keeps them from hurting you; sometimes they'll run away or sometimes they'll back off and chug a banana. I like to keep a pistol or the sniper instead of the blunder for pve to take out any powder barrel skellies as soon as I'm a safe distance away. A blunder is really only the best for pve if you're fighting rusted gold skeletons, but blunder bombs/fire bombs are in the game now and are better imo.

Having an emissary flag is basically a beacon for anyone who's got a reaper's flying. It's a risk/reward thing, you get better gold and rep but people can tell you have treasure on board way easier by looking at the rank of your flag. Its a pvp magnet even for ppl who aren't running reapers.

You can two man a brig but you'll be a man down. It would be rough to fight since brigs sink way faster than sloops do and having one person steering/managing sails and one person firing cannons/doing repairs isn't ideal. If either of you gets gibbed by a cannon shot its a crippling event you'll likely sink. Plus its hard to send out a boarder and leave one person behind to manage the ship all by themselves. Check out the official discord or the sot community discord to find a 3rd player, its not as good as playing with somebody you know but it is way better than doing an open crew.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Wow, that was so much more comprehensive than I expected. :swoon: Too much here to respond to individually, but know that I read and appreciated every word. Did some test skelly-fighting this afternoon and even putting the very basics of what was mentioned into practice already feels much better.

So clearly the boat consensus is to git gud at sloop, and I'm fine with that. It's a cozy little ship. Our track record in ship to ship battles is nooot great, though. It's wild to hear people say that the bigger ships are even tougher to manage, because I feel like as soon as more than one thing goes wrong on the sloop we start to lose control. Fire is the absolute worst (although someone's prior comment that you can put it out by splashing water up from below deck should hopefully help with that). What should we know/practice in order to get better at fighting/fleeing with it?

I'm surprised that sword+sniper got more votes than sword+pistol, but I'll play around with that and see how I like it in comparison.

What is tucking?

Fire isn't too bad, its a slow attrition damage and it actually takes quite a while for it to do damage to your ship. The main danger is borders only need 1 shot to kill you.

As for practicing, I would try out some of the fleet missions from oos(I think you have to be rep 25+ to get those) and flameheart events. You'll get pretty good at aiming cannons doing those. Also pretty good at getting you to prioritize actions, from triaging damage(back holes on a sloop aren't danger holes until the water comes up to that sort of second deck) how to steer so you can hit other ships but you aren't in their attack zones and using sails and anchor turns to maneuver around faster.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For skeleton ships, is it recommended for or against boarding them, got a friend that would constantly board skeleton ships but felt like it always left us undermanned and him stranded in the water while the second ship is on us.

The sloops probably not but having somebody babysit a danger hole on the bottom of a galleon can save a lot of cannonballs.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

We killed two today (our first two!) by just dropping anchor and pounding the motherfuckers with cannon fire and sniper rifles. Who needs harpoons? We did both end up in the water at one point, so I got to see that onrushing maw as well. Terrifying. We also killed a kraken, and I hated it. (The Hunters Call only gave us 800 gold for cooked kraken meat, so they can eat a dick forever. They get fish and that's it).

Sell your gems to the hunters call, way better than fish and now you can just eat the fish/monster meat.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks for the tip! We're grinding Order of Souls hard right now because we want that purple skull figurehead to go with our kraken paint and sails, so they're getting all our mermaid gems. Let me know if that's a bad idea for some reason, and I'll keep Hunter's in mind for later. I'm not super in love with their ship set and we already fished our way to 10 and got the tankard and fishing pole. Is there any other benefit to leveling them?

We experienced this! My partner stashed a Chest of Sorrows after it sunk her on the way to pick me up from an island I was stranded at with some loot, supplies, and our harpoon rowboat, and we were able to go back for it quite a while later.

I saw the level-up tokens but they're kind of expensive, 150 doubloons a month if you're buying all five. I'll probably skip Hunter's and Sea Dogs until I at least earn their easy levels. Also, since it's a once-per-month thing I wanted to do it at the last minute and make sure I buy the latest level I can each time. Do they reset on the actual end of the calendar month, or on some other cycle?

Thanks for the tip on loot-juggling, I've been doing that unknowingly doing that on our megalodon kills by having one of us in the water gathering stuff up for easy harpooning while the other one brings the boat around. Will definitely use that tip of throwing someone in the water to mark the wreck with their nametag. We've definitely experienced not knowing where we were after a long open-water fight, that's why we didn't find that rock again until much later. Not sure what to do about that other than mark the map immediately in case of kraken/volcano/whatever.

Speaking of, are there any tips for dealing with that bullshit boiling volcano water that makes it useless against the ship fires that the volcano causes? Is there any way to get at reaper's chests or shipwrecks under those highly active rocks?

Re: underwater shootouts, I haven't had much luck with the blunderbus so I've already been running sword + sniper almost exclusively and trying to lean on blunderbombs to deal with boarders. Unfortunately there was (weirdly) no one left in the water after we sunk that brig, so I haven't gotten to try the underwater sniping fights that you mentioned yet. I have struggled to snipe sharks when they're on the move (eye of reach has the world's slowest ADS) and it makes me consider carrying a flintlock instead, but the lower damage and more dramatic projectile arc on that makes me struggle with it vs players (the bullet also seems to be slower, but I'm not certain). It's a tough choice!

Doing the OOS fleet missions/flameheart event with an OOS emissary flag up should get you to 75 pretty quick so long as you're turning in once your flag hits level 5. Also doing OOS missions out in the Devil's Roar is good, the missions out there are already 1.5x gold/rep and add emissary to that and its worth the volcano risk. Also the geysers make quick work of the skeletons, even the captains. The level 50 Hunter's cannons are stubby(shorter), so they're really good for aiming and getting into for cannoning yourself.

Boiling water should still put out fires, it just hurts you a little to go get some if you're grabbing it from the bottom deck of your ship. Otherwise you would be using the water bucket on the ship to get water, right? Volcanoes last for ~5 minutes or so, and the Devil's Roar isn't usually populated so there shouldn't be much of a rush to get to the shipwreck.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Re: the part about getting to 75 by fleet missions, does turning in the level 5 flag make a big difference in your emissary progress (so far we've always been killed before calling it a day and taking it down), or did you just mean waiting until level 5 to turn in the fleet skulls? Our survival track record makes that risky, so we've been turning in as we go so far.

Wait to turn in skulls until your flag is level 5, and lowering a level 5 flag is also a big chunk of rep as well. Being out in the roar should help your survivability because other ships being out there is less likely.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Alright, I'll at least give it a whirl. When you do this, do you ever bother with the emissary quests you get from Grade 5, or do you just cash in your fleet skulls then turn in the flag? Those emissary quests are one of the ways we've died before turning in the flag, the skeleton hunts on islands leave us open to pvp hounds who (wrongly, lol) assume grade 5 means we're loaded with treasure.

You grab the emissary quests, lower the flag, raise the flag and hope that the emissarys get you to or at least close to level 5 again.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Chev posted:

Most people don't bother with it because it is the boring option. If the crews are even vaguely evenly matched ship combat is gonna be a long, boring battle of attrition that's either broken by supplies running out or one side successfully moving it into the anchor/spawn camp phase. Theoretically ship combat is super fun mechanically but in practice you can get stuck in the same battle for inane amounts of time.

Yeah it becomes a 'who has more supplies stocked up' battle, unless you get lucky and paste enough of their crew with cannonballs that they can't keep up with the bails and repairs.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Successfully escaped pursuit for the first time tonight! Doesn't feel as good as sinking them, but it sure feels better than being sunk.

We maintained distance by fleeing into the wind (we were in a sloop and they had a brig), then ran into the edge of the map hellzone, where we were able to bail the sloop and survive long enough that they were forced to break off and repair while we continued onward, giving us a little more breathing room as we re-entered the map. Losing them only took 10+ minutes, ideal circumstances, every trick I've been advised of in this thread, and two lucky wind changes in our favor that let us point straight into the wind while also going in the direction we wanted to turn! Brigs are totally fine and not at all in need of speed/maneuverability balancing, and sloops are also totally fine and good as well. Being the lowest firepower ship and the slowest ship anytime we're not pointed directly into the wind (making survival a random dice roll based on where the wind decides to shift to, rather than any factors we can actually control) is totally fine. I love being everyone's easy target and getting constantly aggressed just because I have one person to play with and not two-three. :thumbsup:

We had a level 2 merchant alliance flag and they were doing gold hoarders, so I have no idea what loot they even thought we had, or what sinking us would have accomplished for them.

In related news, merchant rewards aren't quite as strong as I hoped (although it is nice to have something we can do during quick sessions thanks to courier missions). Any tips on getting the most from them? Is there any way to stack contracts that go to the same location, so you can do more than one voyage at a time without the timers running out? We bought one courier job, got sent to a seapost where we couldn't buy another, and then just had a kind of "...okay, now what?" moment.

Merchant flags are relatively rare, that is probably all they wanted since merchants works a bit differently(you're not gonna be hording loot on your ship for the most part).

Cargo runs will have you going to the same area, but probably not the same islands. We'd put one down, collect all the cargo, put another one down hoping for the same destination but it almost never happened that way. I usually would sail out to the west side of the map or do them in the roar for the 1.5x gold/rep for burning missions because the regular east side of the map is dreary. The merchant emissary flag goes up pretty quick as long as you're not dawdling, and getting the level 5 emissary voyage then lowering/raising the flag should get you either to or almost to level 5 again doing those voyages. Avoid the animal capture missions unless you're going for achievements, although getting a whole bunch of snake cages can be a fun thing to put below deck for boarders to find. Back before cargo runs I must have caught like 50 snakes and left them all over the golden sands tavern for someone to log in and get insta-killed.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks for the tips! Do you have a feel for how many cargo runs you can stack before it's no longer realistic to deliver them on time?

They're all multiple day timers if I remember right, so as long as you can keep the cargo separated by destination on your ship in positions where they won't get smashed, wet or parched (keep plants on the bottom of your ship with a bucket or 2 of water).. we usually had 2 deliveries on board with a 3rd one to pick up somewhere. We'd use the map table and the mission table to put everything non plant, but still separated by destination.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Oh gently caress, I just looked in my ship cosmetic box and I got the inaugural grandee sails (top 25% of the Order of Souls leaderboard at the end of the month) from September!

Idk how to check now that it's a new month, but iirc we had something like 400k emissary points, which doesn't feel like a lot given that we weren't trying at all and did most of that during the double gold/exp weekend that more experienced players and alliance servers also had access to.

I want to go for the merchant or gold hoarder ones this month. Is there less competition for some factions than others, or are all of the leaderboard sails that easy to get?

Its pretty easy, get to level 5 and do the emissary quests for each faction a couple times should do it. (selling all the emissary quest goodies with a level 5 flag of course)

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Okay, this is something I've been meaning to ask... how do you have time to do this once, let alone lowering the emissary flag and re-raising it while you repeat the emissary quests multiple times on a loop (as has been recommended)?

Usually, by the time we hit 5 and go turn in at an outpost, we've already been playing for several hours and it's time to log off. We've only once had time to even attempt the first round of emissary quests (and we were, naturally, murdered before we could finish). Are we just slow? Are you guys skipping all the fun distractions like shipwrecks or megalodons? Is everyone just playing this in super long stretches?

It looks like you can do this in-game, too! If I'm reading it right, it even tells you how many points you need to bump yourself into the next tier, and how close you are to falling into the previous one.

It helps to have a goal with your crew of 'we're doing a gh/oos/merchants/reapers rep grind' It also helps if you're in a brig, because sloops are slow, galleons are cumbersome and if the wind favors you you'll get where you wanna go really fast in a brig. Doing server events like a skull fort or a flameheart will speed your flag rank, less so with the ashen tornado. The tornado takes a long time for the treasure you get, and is mostly just worth sinking whomever just finished it for the flame skull. Once you get to 5, the emissary quests usually get you back to almost, but not quite level 5 again, and you can gain flag rank by killing the random meg/skeleton ship/krakken encounters or skeleton captains/ashen captains/keymasters on the islands that you should be cannoning off to for supplies anyway. You don't need to bring the loot on board, just pick it up and it should boost the flag rank a little(if its the right kind of loot).

Cannoning off to islands to get supplies and fondle loot is a good idea in general, just keep an eye on the horizon. Shipwrecks are good for some loot, great for supplies and usually a good place to find cursed cannonballs. If you have the time either stop to supply up or at least send a couple crew out to fondle the loot and fill their pockets with supplies. Having cursed cannonballs is usually the dealbreaker in a contest of who has more supplies. Oh you wanted to bail but you're all limpballed? Oh we only put 2nd deck holes in you but oops ballastball? Oh you have 4 cannons on your broadside to use but they're all pointing straight up while we barrage your cannon line with fire bombs due to a peaceball? You were repairing your lower deck holes but got jigballed/grogballed? Also ballastballs are golden for sinking skeleton galleons for flag rep gain and the supply crates/loot.

Merchants is always the odd duck, they gave us cargo missions, but gave us cargo thats obnoxious(can't see poo poo through plants, stuff gets wet, shattered, parched etc.) to lessen the grind of collecting animals and gunpowder barrels but it is still the most grindy faction. Sell your gems to merchants until you're maxed, then to the hunter's faction if you care about that.

Sea of thieves isn't a fast game, to get stuff accomplished its a 2-4 hour sink at least. Athenas grind is more like 3-5 hours of a time sink and that is just doing thieves runs, obviously it gets faster if you have no competition on your server and your crew isn't busy studying what kind of candies fit into their buttholes better than others.

I wouldn't really worry about the ledger stuff, you'll almost get it automatically if you're using emissaries to grind to 75, plus the sail rewards are just so/so. My opinion on that will probably change once they come out with something besides a set of sails as a reward but who knows when that will be.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Is there any trick to this that isn't ballast or barrel balls that you may not have?

For skoops I usually just hit the same spot about 10x, right on their cannon so they don't fire back. That is usually enough to sink them. Sometimes it takes a few more but that is the general idea. If I have a 2nd player or I'm on a bigger ship then its sails up and turret/turtle mode, spin the ship to keep them on broadside as much as possible.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm going to try to grind out pirate legend in the next 27 days, so I can get the spooky glowy outfits from the current event. Right now my worst rep is Gold Hoarders at level 44. I asked previously how to rapidly level them up and was advised to run through treasure hunts in Devil's Roar. That totally makes sense, but doing that in geyser hell sounds like, well... hell, and the Roar is chock full of other ships this week thanks to the holiday quests.

So what would be the next best way to get Hoarders to 49 ASAP?

Regular treasure maps and vaults seem pretty poor at my level, and I seem to always get order skulls and merchant boxes from things like megas or world events that drop a "random" mix. I've been flying the Hoarders flag nonstop and still leveling the other two as fast or faster. Pretty stumped.

(also if this is an impossible madman's quest, please tell me)

Devil's roar is better for order of souls because you can use the geysers to kill the waves of skeletons. For GH I would look at getting 3-4 hours to burn and getting to rank 5, get the emissary quest, lower/raise rinse/repeat. Do the fleet event that gives a ton of skeleton chests as a reward when they're up. Also if you can get a 4 person crew together to vault stack you can really get a ton of chests to turn in with 4 keys(with the aim of getting them all close like at mermaids and crescent or whatever) If its normally just you and one other person that you play with it I recommend hitting up the official Discord and the Sea of Thieves Community discord, the people there are going to be better than open crew, although sometimes just barely. Then again you will meet good players who you gel with and become part of your regular crew; my buddy and I met a french canadian who's really good and gels with our playstyle and sense of humor; plus having a brig/galleon makes the game more fun because they're faster and you have better firepower. Also more people to be constantly jumping off for barrels/onto island to stock up.

Also, just to check, you're keeping all the loot on board(gh loot at least) until you're level 5 right? If you aren't, thats an easy change that will boost you rep gains significantly.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Master Twig posted:

I have done a lot of fishing and the rule of real estate applies. Location Location Location. You want to be in a spot that is out of the way, and where you can hide your ship.

Mermaids hideaway is great. Park behind it in the little alcove and fish for plentifins, splashtails, pondies, and the nighttime islehopper.

Marauders arch is great for wildsplashes and moss islehoppers.
Inside thieves haven is great for ancientscales.
The north east corner of the roar is best for devilfish, just out of range of the forts volcano.
I recommend hiding behind the west side of crescent isle for honey hoppers and west side of sailors bounty for smoke islehoppers.

Wreckers and Stormfish you just kind of have to get by opportunity. Always keep an eye out if fishing a wreck that's in a popular sailing route.

I'm almost positive that just looting every shipwreck(fishwreck) you see will get you fish faster than actually fishing. Also a good way to stock up on cursed cannonballs. The fishing in the game is better than say, wow fishing but its still a huge time sink and gets old after a while. That said when they have fishing events I go to the shores of gold, the only people coming out there are doing the tall tale. Or fishing maybe. There are shallow ponds there that are good for fast catching pondies too.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

dialhforhero posted:

Where can you hide a keg in your hold that won’t blow up easily?

I realize most keep it in the crow’s best but is
There a different location? On a Galleon I could see the captains quarters but wtf do you need a keg for in a galleon?

Keep em off or keep em out on the bowspirit. Up in the crows a lucky shot can bring down your masts which is way worse than having a few holes to repair if you're chasing/being chased.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

fallingdownjoe posted:

That's an interesting thing to note though - all the kegs/mega kegs will provide more options for fending off potential boarders. And the more explosions in this game, the better!

We taught him to blow up his own ship to prevent boarders. On purpose. You know, for a joke.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Reiley posted:

What is the counterplay if someone is just jumping around with their sword? Is it just jump around with your gun? Just always also stay moving?

Like Fuzzlewhack said, blunder bombs. Fire is extremely over-rated as a boarding technique, it takes forever to sink a ship with fire and the attrition damage will affect you as much as the enemy crew. But launching a bunny hopper and their sword off board with a lil kablooey bomb is never not satisfying. I almost never carry fire bombs now, if I need one, they'll probably have them in their barrels.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Reiley posted:

Do cursed cannonball effects stack or does one new effect override the previous one? Like can you sleep&grogball someone and then ballastball them?

vvv I mean more will both sleep & grog effects apply or is it wasting cursed balls to fire both?

I'm actually not sure if they stack, I assume the freshest debuff will overwrite the current effect. But really you want to space those out so that they're taking on water from the danger holes you're preventing them from repairing. Put a handful of regular cannons in them, then hit them with player debuffs and space them out so every time they try to board up a hole a new debuff hits and they sink and call you cheaters for using cursed cannonballs.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Zwabu posted:

There is a Goon Discord for SoT that you can join for pirate adventures:

https://discord.gg/e6KabjcY

There is also an official SoT Discord where you can find other pirates, form into lobbies for voice chat.

It's essentially independent of SoT so you have to swap usernames, friend each other, and join up in game also. Discord is a lot more reliable than the in game voice chat and doesn't have the drawback of letting nearby pirates hear your chat on a hot mic.

There are a few community SoT servers as well, to lessen confusion I would recommend, on those disco servers, to change your nickname to your xbox name to make it easier to get a crew going without having to spell poo poo out in chat or over voice.

Open crew is the worst, and is only fun if you're drunk and messing around which might explain why people who join on open crew often act like they're drunk and messing around.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Glagha posted:

Nah it had blue and green lights that we could see at a long distance, but I don't recall if there was anything weird about the shape of it. I dunno it's definitely possible we just missed the loot that came up because it was kinda dark and stormy, but we jumped into the water in hopes a clear look from underwater without the waves in the way would make it more visible but nothin.

Edit: It was hard to tell if there were skeletons on it, I genuinely just can't remember and we crushed them so fast it was hard to really tell. Honestly it could've been just them despawning? I know I've seen them just pop up out of the ocean before so can they just peace out? I swear we thought that was a possibility in the moment but someone noted getting the "sunk a ship" achievement progress alert.

Did you sink it or did it dive under water to despawn? I guess its possible you were near a fleet event, picked up agro on a sloop and went out of the event's range, but you'll get the 'alliance of dickbutt' or whatever notification when you get near the fleet event. Also If you're near the center of the map by the arena rocks n docks some funky things can happen there; like loot that floats above the water or skelly ships taking off into the sky.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Pigbottom posted:

I never heard anybody ask for motion blur before in my life. This is, very peculiar.

Yeah isn't motion blur the 'make everything look like it was shot on the set of a soap opera' button on the tv remote?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Merijn posted:

You need 8 people on the same server. If we get 8 goons together on the Discord we could try, sure.

you need 2 ppl to get their galleons on the same server, then errybody can join in on them. There are various strategies for trying to get on the same server; but I don't know if any of them are really any more effective than random chance.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

moosecow333 posted:

My friends just got Pirate Legend (I’m level 49 merchants :geno:) but I have to say I’ve been really unimpressed with Athena’s quest.

Haul your rear end across the map doing all three of the quests you’ve done tons of times before and get less money for it. The emissary flag also doesn’t increase unless you pick up Athena’s loot, which is like 1 in 10.

Am I missing something?

Get a crew together to blast through thieves' run maps. Learn to hate the sight of mermaid gems.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Nuclear War posted:

Man I really want to play this but I dont have a group... crew. and I can only play once in a while. are there like PvE servers or something? what's the lifespan of people going solo?

You sink. You respawn. You sink again. There is an official sot discord and a community sot discord and you'll find ppl there that will be at least minimally capable of video gaming unlike the window lickers from open crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Merijn posted:

Last Friday I bit the bullet and said to my buddy "let's do just pvp tonight". Reaper emissary, sails, no mission, just attack people. Literally every ship avoided us, and we were just two scrubs on a sloop. All in all we sank 3 brigs, didn't get any loot, but killed two megs in quick succession and sold everything at Reapers Hideout. It was kinda fun actually. Might do it again.

One thing to remember; reaper 5 lets you see other emissaries on the map. You can get level 5 pretty fast if you can blow through 1 or 2 pve map events and then start the hunt. Flameheart will also help you supply up at the beginning of a session and if you pick up most of the loot you'll be 5 by the end, or close enough that grabbing loot from barrel debris as you hunt will get you there. Plus the special flameheart cannonballs which are always fun to unleash on a galleon after a ballastball.