Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Not my work, but somebody on reddit datamined the client. Interesting read if you're in my boat; interested but skeptical of lacking content. Not going to do tags or spoilers, so keep scrolling if knowing what type of grub you can eat on the high seas is a problem?

Chests:

Chest of Sorrow
Common Chest
Drunken Chest
Legendary Chest
Mythical Chest
Rare Chest
Shipwreck Common Chest
Shipwreck Legendary Chest
Shipwreck Mythical Chest
Shipwreck Rate Chest

Companies:

Gold Hoarders
Merchant Alliance
Order of Souls

Creatures:

Bat
Chicken
Fish
Parrot
Pig
Seagull
Shark
Snake

Enemies:

Kraken - (ship wrapping tentacles)
Mermaids
Skellies

Food:

Coconut
Pineapple
Pomegranate
Rum

Maps:

Blue Sea of Plenty
Sea of the Damned (no other references?)
The WildsWide Sea of Plunder

Landmark Locations:

Blue Sea of Plenty:

Crescent Cove
Crescent Island
Lone Cove
Mermaids Hideaway
Sailors Bounty
Smugglers Bay
Wanderers Archipelago

The Wilds:

Arches
Cavern Isle
Old Faithful
Shipwreck Bay
Three Peaks

Wide Sea of Plunder:

Crooks Hollow
Devils Ridge
Discovery Ridge
Plunder Valley
Sharkbait Cove
Snake Island
Thieves Haven

NPCs:

Belle
Blind Bob
Bounty Dealer
Clothing Dealer
Generic Shopkeeper
Ghost Captain
Gold Hoarder
Innkeeper
Innkeeper_hideout
Merchant
Nice
Mermaid
Order of Souls
Pirate Lord
Potion Seller
Shipwright
Weapon Dealer

Riddles:

BountyLocation
DigHole
LookAtMap
NonVagueNonUniqueLandmarks
PlayInstrument
RaiseLantern

Ship Customization:

Cannon
Capstan
Livery
Mast
Wheel

Ship Misc:

Harpoon Gun

Ship Figureheads:

Angler fish
Banjo
Dove
Dragon
Jdark (?)
Lion
Mermaid
Parrot
Poseidon
Shark
Skellylantern
Skull head
Spinal
Squid
Swordfish
Unicorn
Zeus

Ship Cargo:

Banana Crate
Cannonball Crate
Chicken Crate
Gunpowder Crate
Pig Container
Snake Basket
Wood Crate

Shops:

Clothing Shop
GH Company Equipment Shop
MA Company Equipment Shop
OOS Company Equipment Shop
Saltys Equipment Shop
Shadys Equipment Shop

Treasure Artifacts:

Box (3 variants)
Goblet (4 variants)
Impressive (3 Variants)
Vase (3 Variants)

Weapons:

Blunderbuss
Boarding Axe
Cutlass
Flintlock Pistol
Heavy Sword
Pistol
Rapier
Sniper Rile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Yep that's the biggest red flag for me.

I've just been watching on stream so far, but what's struck me is how empty they left the world during this build. It's good to see they're planning some npcs for the outposts and some aquatic life for when you take the plunge. The water looks amazing from underneath but it's a little odd how barren it can be down there. But the enemy types...they can't really be ok with launching the game with a grand total of one pve enemy.

They almost got me with the side meiers pirates nostalgia, but I'm not preordering anymore. I've been burned too many times by lovely half finished games. It'd be nice if this game comes through, I've already got three friends who have pre-ordered....but I'm not trying to drop sixty bucks on a game where I can either go dig up a chest, fight skeletons, or fight the small amount of ppl on each instance.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I watched two streamers, summit and cdn, go for 50 chests yesterday. It looked like a blast to be honest, If you have a few folks that can work together then the base game provides a good amount of stuff to do so you're staying active. They just need to flesh out the rest of the world a bit. A random npc treasure galleon every now and again and some more poo poo to do around the islands/outposts and they've got a solid game. Maybe a fishing minigame for when you're underway? The datamined client already has parrots and fish, for instance, so a bit of that atmosphere that is lacking will I think be fine on release. Also the respawn system is a mess as is.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Nda lifts in like a week and a half apparently? So the mystery will be over soonish

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

tqilamknbrd posted:

How many ships per map is this going to launch with?

One thing a few people have mentioned is that their progression so far has been to allow one ship per outpost. The people in beta were seeing as many as six ships at a time I believe, which was how many outposts were in the map. Since the launch map will be the same as the one in beta they'll probably use this stress test to see if seven or eight will work, but seeing much more than that at launch seems to me unlikely.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I haven't gotten the feeling that they care too much about letting you trick out your ship during beta, but the ability to change the different parts of the ship has been datamined from their client. Basically you trick out your toon and ship until you get to legendary and then nobody really knows.

Either you're gonna dig being one of the archetypes that their merchant and chest hunting voyage guilds are focused or you'll find a place on the PvP meta that looks for those first two groups of players.

Or say fuckit I don't like loading monkeys into cannons and eating whole bananas with the peel on while plotting to sink that sloop you just stealthed up to with buckets of your puke.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
They've said a bit to the tune that they don't want the anarchy from coordinating anything larger than a 4 person crew. I bet since they already have legendary ships worked out they'll release a variant eventually on the galleon and sloop with different strengths. Frigate and brig?

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I feel pretty expertly trolled

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
They changed a bunch of descriptions and outlined the beta, apparently it's starting in two hours or so? drat limeys and their not respecting my work day tomorrow.

The Sea of Thieves Final Beta is here! Before we set sail on March 20th, this is one last opportunity for budding brigands to sample the pirate life through a selection of the activities offered by the full game – a fine way to master the basics and find your sea legs ahead of launch. Players taking part in the Final Beta will be able to:

• Hunt for buried treasure by following ancient maps and solving riddles as part of epic voyages across the Sea of Thieves.

• Acquire valuable cargo and safeguard it through perilous waters as a new Trading Company – the Merchant Alliance – makes its first appearance.

• Clear out Skeleton Forts, where great risk delivers even greater reward. Seek the telltale skull cloud before taking on hordes of skellies to earn fabulous treasures.

• Sail solo or join a crew then head out to forge your legend in a shared world where every sail on the horizon is a ship of real players.

• Explore a vast, beautiful and fantastical environment filled with deadly foes, fearsome storms and mysterious shipwrecks.

• Engage in epic ship battles with all cannons blazing, or go head-to-head against other pirates with pistol primed and cutlass drawn!

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

SwimNurd posted:

They did say there will be at least a third ship type for pirate legend, but I am pretty sure in reality it will just be skins.

One of the shipwrights or tavern people talks about having some big fuckall ship with a fourth mast and two decks of cannons. They'll cave and add a bigger boat in eventually I'm guessing, but they've already mapped out their first major update three months in so it won't be for awhile. One of the devs also said from their perspective things go to poo poo once more than four people have to do jobs and communicate but in the betas some folks were already cramming everybody they could get aboard.

Also is there a goon group or anything for this game? If I know my friends they'll probably be in it for a month or so tops.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
My xbox gt is kamikazg0ldfish (it's a zero). I think I'm gonna take a half day at work on Tuesday to get some quality pirating time in. If anybody is looking for somebody to round out a galleon feel free to float me an invite. The captain gig on this game is fun but I have to do the work equivalent of that all day so I'm pretty content to load up a bowl and just find a good crew to help out.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I'm not one of the min/max crowd really, so I'm not interested in getting a leg up. Don't really even feel like racing to legend status to be honest. But it's my one year at this particular company and I haven't taken any personal time off, so gently caress it. The beauty is I'm west coast so if the servers are still borked by 1pm then their whole first day in england is a wash and it's easy enough to just check reddit for the explosion and not leave work.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Fwiw the most fun I had in the betas was hunting down galleons with one other guy in a sloop. They're much more maneuverable and require less coordination to pull off those movements so you can stay outside of a broadside once you get it down.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
The stronghold vault isn't always empty in forts that didn't have the original cloud, you can look down through the floor boards in the roof above to see before you use the key. I hadn't given the forts more than a few plays because of the respawn system so what I don't know for sure is if the loot will only spawn in one of the small amount of forts they run the event at if there's a chance for it to pop in to any fort

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Passed a galleon on the way to our first island. We've been digging up chests for a few minutes when the guy on board lets us know they're making a beeline straight for us. We pull up anchor and start to skirmish, they weren't good sailors but had one guy that was a boarding champ and got our anchor on his second try. By the time we get it back up a third galleon has joined the melee. We all three exchange a few rounds of cannon fire when the newcomer pulls alongside us and two on board start flashing blue and red lanterns, holding their fire. We flashed back at them and both peeled off in opposite directions, circling and sinking the original aggressor. When everything had settled one of them boards us and helps bail out the last of the water. We switch over to game chat to say thanks and he goes "do you know why we pulled you over today?"

He then proceeds to go through a litany of traffic violations and demands to search our ship. I reply that we were innocent merchants attacked by some randoms and one of the crew pulls out the manifest for a merchant message in a bottle quest we had just picked up to back me up. I let him go on for a minute and gave him a full shot with the blunderbuss. Not trying to hang out with the fuzz in the sea of thieves. We sent our remaining cannonballs into their ship and beached full speed into the closest outpost to sell our random haul from one island. By the time they got to us we were in the tavern drinking grog and smoking bowls.

Game good.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Best part of this game so far, other than killing a galleon as a sloop, is the portion of the community that refuses to ask themselves what they did to get boarded and hosed with in the first place so as to not do it next time. The tears from those cats are amazing

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I don't know, it might just be because I prefer the sloop for most things, but I feel like if I can see you coming in a galleon and my only goal is to escape from you even as a solo player that's pretty achievable. Id never expect to win a heads up fight against one solo, but with all the random rocks to sail through and around wind can be taken advantage of pretty easily and even if a good crew can react to that sudden change in the direction of the chase I've still gained a bit. Everytime i can full speed close to an island and a galleon has to go wide to not beach or get hit by an explosive barrel that's a little bit more distance. That being said Ive only been running like that with a stronghold key, it's much more fun to try to use the manueverability to outsmart the slower ships driver and stay out of broadside exchanges. Really it comes down to boarding. If the sloop can stay unboarded you've got a good shot but that's pretty hard when you're trying to dance around to the front or back of the ship

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Just rebound bananas to the right stick click from the dpad, it's a whole new pvp world.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
They don't know why everybody was crashing so they turned off the closed crews and underwater names apparently

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

nopantsjack posted:

man SoT continues to be really bizzare development-wise

its on unreal engine and they have a massive studio how is this causing them such problems?

It's like they developed the water, the galleon, and then sent everybody in a different direction for a few years. If you stand at the front of the sloop and look back and down at the ship hitting the water, you can't unsee it as a 3d model. It's like they worked the galli and sea into fluidly reacting with each other, and didn't bother with the sloop. One type of npc at launch? Well,just put some plants on em and put in a health Regen during the rain. Also the whole kraken buildup during the betas and before launch was really weird considering what we got.

I'm having fun but these guys don't make a whole lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

Kitchner posted:

I actually responded to your post in good faith, said I disagreed with you, and you responded with "lol fanboy" and now you're whining about me "not engaging in good faith".

How about you just actually engage with the points being discussed instead of getting upset when someone disagrees with you that having content in an open world game which requires teamwork is bad.

No, you see you're not mean and wrong about a game. In your case your mother clearly just fed you bleach as a child to try and induce a post-birth abortion but it's only made you retarded instead.

This is just...weird. it's a throwaway pirate game man. There has to be other hills to die on out there in the vast internet.