Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Just started playing this game, and I have no idea what you guys are talking about. OP needs to be updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Had a blast of a session yesterday in a sloop together with a friend.

Didn't have a plan really, so we raised reaper emmisary and went towards Flameheart with "let's just play it from there"-mindset. While sinking a skeleton sloop for supplies on the way, we realized a galleon was waiting for us to finish in order to kill us afterwards.
Our plan was to get them to chase us to Flameheart in order to level the playing field. We didn't have the wind to advantage, but managed to use some cliffs to out-manouver them in the chase. Arriving to Flameheart, they continued the chase and played right into our hand. We managed to sink them with the chaos-factor of having the ghost-ships shooting on both of us.

After finishing Flameheart, we wanted to sell our loot at Reaper's hideout, but noticed not only two galleons, but also one sloop in the area. "Whatever, let's just go there and see what happens". I think there was some kind of standoff between the other ships for who would go for us first, because we managed to load half of our loot before a galleon came for us in full speed. We sped off from the bridge, in order to play for better positioning around the hideout islands. They ran into ground, and we could easily bombard them with cannons and board them. They had a gunpowder barrel somewhere that blew up at some point, and they sunk quickly after that.

The third galleon came for us when we had sold about 75% of the loot. A longer fight of manouvering & continous boarding around the hideout islands ensued. A lot of back and forth, but in the end both me & my buddy died at the same time, which sealed our fate. We didn't feel bitter at all though! Sinking 2 galleons as a sloop in a single session, and giving a third a run for their money - great fun!

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
I've tried using the chest of sorrow on a skeleton galleon. It works, but did not fill up the ship fast enough to be worth the trouble.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
When slooping you'll want to have gunpowder barrels around for utility when attacked by bigger ships, and you'll want them accessable. I don't like having them in the crow's nest.
The tip of the bowspirit is my favorite spot. If blown up it'll cause three big holes in the front, and one person can handle that. So assuming two-person sloop you can do the gunpowder ram as opening attack easily.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
If it blows up anyone by the wheel will die. This has happened often enough to me to not like it as a stashing-location.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Thief posted:

spawncamping a sloop
This is something people actually do?

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

A fire bomb to the mast will blow kegs in the crow's nest. And a fire on the wheel will hamper steering

Also, I think firebombs fired out of a cannon, will set fire to the interior of a ship upon impact. Someone confirm please, I'm not sure.
But yeah - don't just throw them anywhere, try to set fire to masts, steering wheel, and capstan. If aboard with firebombs, I like to set fire to stairs.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Some balls reverse the previous effect - anchor ball will draw upp the anchor if it's down, sail ball the same.
Always keep cursed balls in your inventory, never in storage. You will never use them otherwise, and use them against players at first opportunity.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
In my group we glide between roles depending on what happens from moment to moment. We are close friends who have been playing for a long time though, so we are able to do that without much communication overhead.
One of us is the better "pilot", so he ends up being at the steering wheel the most. The one at the steering wheel is likely to have the best overview of what happens, so they should give information and/or commands so the rest can act efficiently.
On a galleon, one person will likely end up repairing a lot. Keeping track of water levels can be critical for acting efficiently. For example, just a shout "two bucket needed" from the repair-person, to quickly stabilise things while the pressure is on.
On a sloop I feel the crew works equally - fire off 10 cannon balls, quickly switch roles wheel/cannon, repeat, as an example to keep up a constant barrage etc.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Duo-slooping is awesome. I love figuring out a plan when fighting larger crews.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
I had a fun thing happen this weekend:
Was doing Flameheart, nothing out of the ordinary. Suddenly a megalodon appears. Again, nothing strange, as that happens sometimes. As one of the boss-ships drops exploding barrels, the megalodon turns its course into them! And yes, they blew up right in its face, killing it instantly!
I was stunned for a moment, and then asked my friend "did you loving see that?!", answered "YES!".
Love how after hundreds of hours of this game, unexpected things still regularly happens.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
This looks like a bit too many things to suddenly add to the game. I wonder if it's going to be a separated thing, like the tutorial.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
There is a PvE mode and it's called Devil's Roar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

On the flip side, defeating larger crews solo is one of the best feelings ever

https://youtu.be/_SUyRiJOYuU?t=95

Wow, the timing of your return to your sloop!