Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

From some of the 1 star reviews this sounds like a Griefer's paradise, so Im in.

It is. A buddy asked me to help him out this morning and within 15 minutes we found a solo sloop, boarded him, killed him, took 2 chests off his ship, sank the ship with its own cannonballs, and then sailed away with zero repercussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I've heard a baseless rumor that every island always has 4 chests on it but some are (obviously) buried under the sands. I have found chests just sitting in caves and whatnot.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Kitchner posted:

The other two people are just even more redundancy, allowing you to have two people repairing while someone is firing and someone else is sailing. one person manning the cannon, one sailing, one repairing and one meth-fueled pirate Marine getting shot outta a goddamn cannon!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Kitchner posted:

I'm fine with them fleeing, chasing down fleeing ships is a lot of fun and poses the best challenge in the game. PvP I find with the discord goons nearly always results in our victory in a straight up fight. Most people are fairly bad. When you get two good crews fighting the whole thing actually descends into a slog fest which lasts ages and is actually fairly boring.

This is the loving truth. My sloop-mate and I fired roughly 200 cannonballs at another sloop in a skull cloud fight. We fired 5 or 6 to sink an enemy galleon and we started with 199 in barrels and an unknown number in our pockets so that number feels fairly accurate. We ended that fight by doing a drive-by and telling the other sloop GG as we sailed away from the fort to log off since we had been fighting for over an hour.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I had a rando join on my sloop after a friend logged off this morning.

We proceeded to:
-sail to an outpost near a skull cloud and resupply
-successfully beach our sloop on the fort without getting sunk
-fight 8 waves of skeletons
-sink a 4 man galleon that anchored on the other side of the fort
-kill the remaining waves and get the key
-loot the entire place
-evade the galleon from above
-cash in all the loot at the original outpost

...all using solely the communication hotkeys. My mind is shattered.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Sundae posted:

I absolutely agree with this, though I'll add the anecdote that I've only been contested at skull islands maybe 3-5 times out of somewhere in the 15-20ish we've gone for. Usually nobody else showing up to make it interesting, so it's just free loot (and skeletons). If nobody comes to the things that already exist to force player interaction, will adding more things really have an impact? Maybe it's my time zone? If I play, it's usually somewhere between 9-11PM PST. Maybe everyone else is in the US servers is in bed already?

I've seen this too and I start around midnight PST. Some days there'll be two, maybe three, other ships on the server and other days we'll simply never see anyone.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

My crew laid a trap for an Ashen Athena chest while I robbed a three man crew of their spices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hflnlBUjEvs

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Merijn posted:

What do you mean? You were a toxic pirate for a reason, and not just because?

To be fair, it's called Sea of Thieves and not Sea of Friends for at least a few reasons! Kill 'em all.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

the beauty of sea of thieves is sometimes you feel like murdering every son of a mermaid you see and taking everything just to watch them squirm, sometimes you feel like sneaking aboard a galleon and hiding while waiting for a good opportunity to dump all of their loot overboard and steal their rowboat

and sometimes you feel like watering plants and euro boating instead

and you can do that

This is very true. We tend to do the 'Camp outposts/sneak onto boats and ruin dreams' more often than not but it's nice to just do an Athena ourselves sometimes.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I assume the forward bow cutouts are for forward guns and/or harpoon turrets ohpleaseohpleasohplease

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

This weekend was double gold and double XP, right? My Pirate Legend buddy asked me to join him to grind out the Reaper Run quests and we did 4 in a row, which netted us over 100,000 gold each and took me from Gold Hoarders 41 to Gold Hoarders 47. :stare:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, my crew has ingame voice completely muted and turned off so my shipmates and I will never hear any cries for help, pleas of parlay or trash talk and vice versa, we are completely silent. We'll pop out of a cannon tower and shoot a shiny new stronghold keg the instant a crew loads up a Skull Fort full of loot or detonate a keg trap over a tavern to steal an Athena chest but they'll never hear us laughing.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Speaking of dangerous waters...

We were rushing another Brig at a Skull Fort last night and they finished it while we were still swimming to the island. In the mad dash to get there, I got double teamed by sharks and had to respawn but one of us made it. He detonated their mega keg but it wasn't enough to sink 'em and our third partner couldn't tie them up in melee combat. I was already sailing our brig into them but missed the boarding action and it really seemed like a total loss for us.

But then the sea turned black around the other brig. Ol' Squiddy was the real MVP and the other crew helpfully had all the loot loaded into their rowboat already when we shot ourselves into the ink and boarded them. Thanks kraken!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I swear I put 40 cannonballs into Briggsy, gently caress her for real.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

WHICH I would like to remind everyone ITT goes against The Pirate Code.:colbert:

It's more like guidelines, really.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

That's interesting, our Brig crew did Tall Tale 3 last night and had a Meg popping up every couple minutes as well. The fucker even charged us and very nearly sank us while we were sailing over to Old Salts Atoll.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, can't turn in TT quest items that you steal, sadly. We swiped a Briggsy Skull and ended up just dropping it in the ocean after finding that out.

Unrelated to that, I was waiting at Sanctuary this morning after we stole a Skull Fort from a two man Brig crew and I rowed a significant portion of the loot ashore. My partner had lured them away in our Sloop and they had a seemingly unlimited supply of curse balls and our supply of wood was decidedly not unlimited. I sold all the goods and then decided to spend some time checking out the ship cosmetics merchant since we were done for the night. I see our sloop come limping back and think nothing of it until I realize our sloop didn't have that figurehead. SO I start waving at this ship from the end of the dock and they proceed to pull up, drop anchor, raise their sails, and then jump into the water with a crate. My cutlass was waiting for them at the top of the ladder, the complete lack of awareness was astounding.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Good to know!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

It seems like there are mermaid statues at the commonly used Tall Tales islands so keeping your ears open around Cannon Cove, Lone Cove, Plunder Valley, Old Faithful Isle and a few others is a good idea. The Devil's Roar isn't used for any of the Tall Tales so it's not seeing a lot of action these days.

Also, the Tall Tales are hella fun to do!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

So the boss fight for the final Tall Tale will teleport the entire crew to whomever gets to the boss fight first.

It would've been cool to know that before we waited 25 minutes for our friend to attempt to get past a trap sequence that they just could not complete.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What's the most fun two bad players can have? I like fishing irl maybe I'll just fish

The Tall Tales are fun for two players. My regular pirating buddy and I also like ambushing people who are doing skull forts or Athena missions.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

Seeing someone parked means it's time for Pirate Frogman and keg parties. Get onto their boat, lift their anchor or climb into their crow's nest and get them with their own kegs, or hide on their boat with the lay down emote while your buddy sails off.

This. We'll swim for 3 or 4 map squares just to attack a ship without them seeing us coming. We'll row a rowboat to someone's ship and hitch it up to board them (Yes, people can dock rowboats on other people's ships so long as there's not a rowboat already hitched) and it's almost always a complete surprise. Fights, even against galleon crews, get pretty lopsided in the attackers favor when people get murdered before they even know they're being attacked.

Pro tips for doing long swims; eat bait to regain health after being attacked by sharks and don't use a gun to fight them off so you conserve ammo.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Just :lol: if you're not being a goon and doing fun poo poo while someone else activates the fort. Just steal the loot later.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

We were checking out an active Fort of the Damned last night that a galleon was working and they had 1 guy on their ship rotating between the ladders, 2 circling the island looking for us, and only 1 actually fighting the fort itself. The paranoia levels are unreal. :haw:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

After watching a livestream of three guys getting a Brig going with basically zero prioer experience, I have to recommend doing some research or playing with veterans of the game. They were woefully unprepared for basically everything and didn't know how to do anything and this game is just brutal to clueless newbies.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Thief posted:

oh my gosh dang they actually added pay2grief stealth emotes :homebrew:

the best one is FREE :ssh:

These devs really understand this game.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

In regards to PVP and the new hide emote, I'm gently encouraging a buddy of mine to make his collection of Athena Heist vids publicly viewable on Youtube and if he does, I'll post a link to his channel whenever we get a new thread. He'll loot 30k from people in a single night and the guy has immense patience when it comes to pulling off a well-timed act of sabotage, I think goons would enjoy his work.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

My stats look really weird since I only play a couple times a month and solely do heists. I only sunk 53 ships but turned in 350 chests and I can guarantee all of those were stolen or found on a beach. Not a bad way to make over a million.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Chest of Rage better be worth a million gold or it's gonna be used like 90% of Stronghold Kegs and detonated against other pirates. :D

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Ship wrecks and floating barrel spawns are great for super expensive fish like that.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Merijn somehow willed an event into the game itself, good luck with Hunter's Haul.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The sea water in this game gets people salty.

A couple buddies and I ambushed a hot mic'ing Brig at the FotD after they aggro'ed a skelly Galleon and took forever to kill it. We decided to sink them and take whatever loot they had. We sold all the loot, spent some time digging up Ashen chests at Plunder Outpost to use with their keys, then headed back to Crooks Hollow to see if maybe they had gone back to finish the Fort.

They had! So we... well, did the exact same thing we did before, ambushing and killing them after they completed the Fort and brought all the loot to their ship. It took us about a half hour to sell all that loot and then sink them again after they caught us at the outpost after we sold the very last of it all.

Afterwards, I got this via the Xbox app.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Chainshot is coming, along with some Twitch drops this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4pgtIwSmrw

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Merijn posted:

Completing all commendations for the new Heart of Fire Tall Tale will give you a new sick-rear end curse.

Indeed!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I was halfway through a solo Tall Tale grind two nights ago when I got server merged and then Hazelbeard and couldn't reconnect. :(

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

It is good, as a cooperative experience. Solo SoT is a very different beast and I wouldn't recommend it for new players.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

You can join random open crews through the game itself, which is pretty fast and easy, or you can join the official Discord server for the game, or join the Goon Discord server in the OP!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Jimbot posted:

So how do you deal with a Brigantine with a Sloop? Can't out-maneuver, can't outgun, can't outrun. What's the point of this worthless ship?

Sail into the wind, try to board and drop their anchor, hit 'em with chain shot, one pirate spawn camps... There are ways.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

LtSmash posted:

This is wild. In my experience "Let's Form An Alliance" is second only to "I'm friendly" as an indicator that they are trying to keg your ship.

Yeah, 'Alliance?' from some rando in text chat might as well be 'Kill me now' when I'm playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Glad that's over.