Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Rookersh posted:

I dunno.

I'd agree that the ending is better then the alternative, but we do have a serious problem with the state of the world post birb. City One is a charnel pit, the One Concern doesn't exist anymore, and most of the settlements are empty/deserted/barely holding on. The human population is incredibly focused. Yeah it's nice that the Contra is looking into electricity, but we also have to remember none of the settlements were self sufficient, and the people supplying them don't exist anymore.

How do you know? Surely it's city one that's reliant on the outlying settlements, whereas the farming villages should be more than self-sufficient. They'll need power and maintenance, but I'm sure chemico and surviving mechanics can handle that.

But no, I'm sure this is worse than the world literally ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

MonsterEnvy posted:

Would Royal be dead. His powers still worked so would he not just be stuck regenerating up there. Also the Reborns seemed much weaker then the other Agents as they did not have any regenerative abilities.

I think even if he doesn't die, he would eventually lose his mind after awhile. If we look at the Fitzroy sidequest, you can see both of them being the white haired chosen people. They never die and Fitzroy ended up being some mindless zombie walking around in a cave under the sea. It would be a horrible couple hundred of years until he loses his mind though!

Wait does this mean the chosen are "immortal" and when Royal says the day Mother leaves he will lead, it means Mother starts losing her mind and needs to be locked somewhere? But what about the old man in the Bastion? He obviously aged and was so old he couldn't even regenerate himself when he got shot. Now I'm even more confused.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think that Fitzroy was a special case and normally Mediums eventually hit a point where they can no longer heal and begin to age.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I jump every loving time carver blasts through the background in shockwood

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any tips on playing as Mina in Ferrier Shockwood? Her gun is weird and the boss machine spinny thing is hard to hit.

[ed] Ok I beat that but I really am having a hard time with accurate and timely shots with Mina...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 7, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can aim her shotgun faster if you're holding a direction while pressing X.

Eventually that boss will retreat into the ground and start making parts of it explode. You have to melee the flashing explody bits to pull the boss back out.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mina is just kinda clunky compared to Robin, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's intentional.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mina will also auto-aim at the same point you previously aimed if you don't hit a direction on a follow-up shot. This is particularly relevant for her segment in the late game autoscroller where everything takes two shots.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks guys.

How far along in the game am I if I just entered the Tower?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Hard to say, but maybe halfway? The tower is one of the hardest places in the game to navigate, and a pretty big area. After that there are a couple of larger areas a and a whole bunch smaller, more linear ones. It really kicks into high gear in the later areas, but just to be clear, there are no missables even if you can miss some unimportant dialogue.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I got away with not having to use my map up until the Tower, where it becomes very helpful specifically to get an idea for possible vent paths, but more importantly to keep track of where you left your elevator lift.

Because some can't just call for a lift on any floor you drat well please. You BETTER be on the floor where the lift's already at :arghfist::mad:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If the lifts followed you automatically like they do in some other areas it would be hella convenient, but it would also break the one bit of puzzle where you need to go out a stuck-open door when the lift isn't there, so I can see why it wasn't done. Maybe a "call elevator" nut to crank would be helpful, though it would add to the clutter of the already-dense rooms.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

On a second playthrough, some things I missed

The tower fairies will point to the major progress paths. I thought they were only hints but they will lead about 100% of the way
The eyes were probably the failed pupils that were destroyed in the transcendence process. Royal talks about most people not surviving the process and losing their physical form. The eyes were also the controllers. The dark lab is where the research on controllers were happening. There is some dialogue about keeping them in a frame and a picture that shows it. This dark cave had a transcender machine also. That could be why the starworm had blue eyes on it, particularly the big eye after Mother is killed. The Mother statute and the starworm is framed just so. You can kinda see the same motif with Black's last form

With that said, if the pupils became the eyes, then it means they got revenge on the silver knight by controlling him. The tower has a note about the knight abusing the kids so it makes sense they would be drawn to him.
The bird being a mechanic makes the rest of the world's technology make sense. The bird didn't want any mechanics messing with his stuff (including ivory). He installed all the rails and screws to use.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really don't think that is the case the impression I get from that poster is that the controller technology is based off the eyes. The eyes control ivory based technology and life forms, so One Concern used them as a basis to create tech controlling Controllers. They probably created these primarily to sieze control of the rolling machines that interface directly with the world spines. If you look at the first boss, it looks like a smaller version of the Omega Controller aside from the purple mechanical part in the middle. They later discovered them to also be useful against pirate machinery.

The eyes are probably Bird tech used to manipulate and interface with the world, hence why there's a giant one on the Starworm.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

I really don't think that is the case the impression I get from that poster is that the controller technology is based off the eyes. The eyes control ivory based technology and life forms, so One Concern used them as a basis to create tech controlling Controllers. They probably created these primarily to sieze control of the rolling machines that interface directly with the world spines. If you look at the first boss, it looks like a smaller version of the Omega Controller aside from the purple mechanical part in the middle. They later discovered them to also be useful against pirate machinery.

The eyes are probably Bird tech used to manipulate and interface with the world, hence why there's a giant one on the Starworm.

The eyes attack ivory users, so that is in conflict with the bird technology. They attacked Black and the Silver knight. They are on the starworm. They don't seem desirable
The roller controllers get controlled by the eyes, the last gauntlet has them. The reason I think the eyes are the same as controllers is the text in the dark cave mentions the "research"' needs to be kept in a frame or they become uncontrollable. But then again, we have see the spinning controller disks fly around on their own, so that text may not support the eye=controller idea . But the in game diagram is pretty clear that they are related somehow
I still think the eyes are the failed/dissolved pupils and possibly dead ivory users.

temple fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 9, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

temple posted:

I still think the eyes are the failed/dissolved pupils and possibly dead ivory users.

The thing is if you watch carefully the elevator system involves blue eyes and I really doubt that sort of "old tech" was put into place by One Concern

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

temple posted:

The eyes are definitely birdman tech. Bird Boss summons them and turns them into hostile animals to fight against you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

temple posted:

The eyes attack ivory users, so that is in conflict with the bird technology. They attacked Black and the Silver knight. They are on the starworm. They don't seem desirable
The roller controllers get controlled by the eyes, the last gauntlet has them. The reason I think the eyes are the same as controllers is the text in the dark cave mentions the "research"' needs to be kept in a frame or they become uncontrollable. But then again, we have see the spinning controller disks fly around on their own, so that text may not support the eye=controller idea . But the in game diagram is pretty clear that they are related somehow

They don't attack ivory users, they take them over. Which is in keeping with them being Bird tech, because they are manipulating ivory based technology and lifeforms.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man, I really, REALLY like this game. And I want to see it through, especially since I'm drowning in games right now and I feel guilty leaving good ones unfinished.

But at 13 hours, I am starting to suffer from a case of "just-wanna-be-done-itis".

Im looking for Elro in the One Concern building and hoping I don't have too much left to play...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you've just broken into One Concern East/West then I think you're about 80% done, outside of collectibles and optional bosses.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Feenix posted:

Man, I really, REALLY like this game. And I want to see it through, especially since I'm drowning in games right now and I feel guilty leaving good ones unfinished.

But at 13 hours, I am starting to suffer from a case of "just-wanna-be-done-itis".

Im looking for Elro in the One Concern building and hoping I don't have too much left to play...

there's a fair amount left, but i think the level design gets better after the one concern tower and the story elements really start coming together, so it should be less of a slog after that

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Watching a stream, it seems that the dialogue got changed for the escape sequence with Mina. Apparently now the soldiers are enraging Black by telling really bad jokes now.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Watching a stream, it seems that the dialogue got changed for the escape sequence with Mina. Apparently now the soldiers are enraging Black by telling really bad jokes now.

idk I thought that was always there. I remember the abs joke

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

temple posted:

idk I thought that was always there. I remember the abs joke

It used to be them saying gross things about settlement women (except the one who objectified a boy instead, resulting in an awkward silence)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Feenix posted:

I'm only about 5 hours in and I'm already feeling that. Guess I'm a lot more sensitive to pacing issues than I thought. It's good, Robin is a great protagonist, I like the world, and it feels good to just move around and play, but ehh, it's not quite as gripping as I had hoped.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy poo poo this Mina part near the end is loving awful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SirSamVimes posted:

It used to be them saying gross things about settlement women (except the one who objectified a boy instead, resulting in an awkward silence)

Yeah really bad jokes about them. Were they changed?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I didn't pay too much attention to them pre-change, but I would remember such gems as "I read a joke on paper. It was tearable!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Combat Lobster posted:

I didn't pay too much attention to them pre-change, but I would remember such gems as "I read a joke on paper. It was tearable!

Old stuff was things like. "Did you see that bleach blonde Girl in Settlement 16? Yeah, I'd love to cheer from her bleachers, if you know what I mean."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Teleports Behind You Samurai miniboss in the tower is such a miserable experience. It doesn't feel like there's any consistency to his actions. I'm liking this game less and less. :sigh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Tower is definitely the shittiest part of the game, but the samurai only has a few tricks. Don't swing on him the instant he teleports next to you, take a moment to see if he's got his sword in the attack or fake-out position first.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Also, spin your wrench. He always delays his attack if he teleports behind you, so you need to deflect it about a second AFTER the green 'this is parryable' flash.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thanks for the tips. Got him after the 5th try. Maybe I'm just bad at videogames? v:shobon:v Well all yall are saying the tower sucks and it gets better after so I'll stick with it. I do want to see where the story goes and if anything watching Robin kick rear end is worth 20$.

EDIT: YOU HAVE TO FIGHT HIM AGAIN??? :cry:

EDIT 2: I hope Konjak has a can of paint fall on his head and he walks around bumping into stuff and then steps on a garden rake that bonks him in the head and then he falls down a manhole for this loving elevator fight.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 24, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You can force which side he teleports in, meaning it gets easier, if you flush up to a side.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Samurai guy took me a bit to actually figure out, too. It's not a very well done fight unlike most of the others. It's also like four fights and ugh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Silver Watchmen as fight. His theme is good too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wait, what's your problem with the elevator fight? It even has two NPCs that tell you where to stand to avoid taking damage

temple
Jul 29, 2006

the silver watchmen is the only fight that forces you fight in melee. its novel and plays differently. it isn't hard as much as unqiue.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if that stuff made some people legit uncomfortable and they let Konjak know. The grunts act as comic relief later on so it's definitely a solid change, though I'm a pun-lover so I'd probably fall in love with the evil fascist empire there instead of hating their guts. :v:

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I also had problems with the silver watchman on my first playthrough but once you understand his patterns he becomes the quickest and easiest boss you fight. If he teleports behind you quickly turn around and wrench right away and when he teleports infront of you, spin your wrench and and you'll never get hit ever.

• Locked thread