Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is that time of year again!

What time?

The time within BASICALLY ANY NUMBER OF MONTHS OF
code:

,ad8888ba,   88888888888  888b      88        ,ad8888ba,     ,ad8888ba,    888b      88  
 d8"'    `"8b  88           8888b     88       d8"'    `"8b   d8"'    `"8b   8888b     88  
d8'            88           88 `8b    88      d8'            d8'        `8b  88 `8b    88  
88             88aaaaa      88  `8b   88      88             88          88  88  `8b   88  
88      88888  88"""""      88   `8b  88      88             88          88  88   `8b  88  
Y8,        88  88           88    `8b 88      Y8,            Y8,        ,8P  88    `8b 88  
 Y8a.    .a88  88           88     `8888       Y8a.    .a8P   Y8a.    .a8P   88     `8888  
  `"Y88888P"   88888888888  88      `888        `"Y8888Y"'     `"Y8888Y"'    88      `888  

Better known as
AUGUST ~2, 3, 4, AND 5, 2018
THE BEST FOURFIVE OR SIX DAYS IN GAMINGLITERALLY THE ENTIRE CALENDAR YEAR

Whether you are into boardgames, role-playing games, collectible trading card games, collectible deck-building games, uncollectable sorrow, the biggest room full of nerdy things to buy you will ever see, kosupure, vidja, terrible Apples to Apples knockoffs, foam weapon jousting, playing D&D in a football stadium, live-action dungeon-crawl-pretending, infinite food, tiny metal figurines, the animes, fursuits or whatever, human skulls, or just into THE BEST AUCTION IN THE UNIVERSE, you will have an amazing time at Gen-Con.

Whether you HATE THE IDEA OF TOUCHING OTHER PEOPLE or ARE LITERALLY EMPLOYED AS A PEOPLE-TOUCHER, you will have an amazing time at Gen-Con.

That right one is my favorite picture of Frank Mentzer ever

Gen Con Indy posted:

A consumer and trade experience dedicated to gaming culture and community. Gen Con Indy is the largest annual consumer fantasy, electronic, sci-fi, adventure and hobby game convention in North America. Each year gaming enthusiasts converge to share their love for all things gaming, from tournaments to guest appearances, exhibit hall booths to electronic games, workshops, seminars, anime, art shows, auctions and countless other activities.

Q. WHEN IS IT?
A. Officially, August 2 - 5, 2018.

Events formally start Wednesday night in a very small number (I believe they cannot be paid events and are mostly just formalized gatherings) and then Thursday morning at 8 A.M. ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE and events run constantly until Sunday afternoon at 6 P.M. Or maybe it is only 5, but I feel like some things start at 4 and go 2 hours. Whatever, you will have lost the will to live by Sunday morning anyway.

Fellis posted:

:getin:

Feb 20th is when you find out your spot in the housing line! Feb 21stELEVENTH, FELLIS, C'MON MAN is housing lottery day!

Let us give thanks that the event charts no longer look like this:

Android thing for maps and events and stuff: THE UNOFFICIAL GEN CON APP

Q. HOW DO I GET THERE?
A. Trains? Planes? Automobiles? Not the bus, though. Oh man. Never the bus. Well, O.K., bus if you must.

The Indianapolis airport is getting better every year (trust me, I have been watching this issue--particularly now that I am trying and thus far failing to move there), and the shuttle to downtown is (supposedly?) pretty good, if you wanted to stay at an airport hotel and roll that way, which would probably remain a viable choice up until right before the convention. Probably.

Also our official GroupMe room can sometimes help to find lodging or travel options:

I can put whatever the hell I want here lolol

Q. SHOULD I BRING ANYTHING?
A.
  • Cash! Some vendors, and of particular note the Auction/Auction Store, offer discounts for paying in cash, so even though it is not a necessity like it used to be before mobile card readers were everywhere, it is still a good idea
  • Dice
  • Chargers for what ails ya (phone, laptop, tablet, tableau, plateau, mesa)
  • Batteries, failing to remember your chargers
  • iGizmos/Cameras/Phones/Whatever
  • Googies (my Mom's aphasiac word for "snacks to eat on the go")
  • Hand sanitizer FOR EMERGENCIES
  • Notepads(tm) (hey, I take notes on my phone too, but sometimes paper comes up in gaming)
  • Pens/pencils
  • Black AND Silver(!) Sharpies for autographs on light or dark surfaces(!!!)
  • YOUR MEDICINE/PAINKILLERS/BANDAGES/INSULIN/TESTOSTERONE/GOLD-PRESSED LATINUM
  • Probably some insoles or gel inserts or foam blocks to walk on or whatever
  • Collapsible/lightweight water bottle with flavored beverage pouches
  • Gum!
  • Splenda, mayonnaise, and hot sauce packets: The Condiment Trifecta
  • TRAVEL CUTLERY KIT!!!!!
  • Suggested Road Food For Travellers On Facebook Page: Quest Nutrition Quest Bars(tm[tm])

Q. WHY DO I WANT TO GO?
A. Because... well first off if none of what has already been said interests you then I LITERALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY OR HOW, but furthermore, Gen-Con is somehow even more than the sum of its parts, and its parts are so amazing on their own that they are sufficient on their own to draw a crowd as well. But some sort of magical exponential joy-growth occurs within a 1-mile radius of downtown Indianapolis during Gen-Con, and it is like everyone everywhere has a good time no matter how hard they try to be unhappy (and we know some nerds do try very hard).

What I am saying is, even as someone who is pretty happy most of the time, I am never otherwise so excited for an extended period as when at Gen-Con.

Actually Indianapolis' Cat Café but you could go to this during Gen-Con if you like, though Captain Rat and I cheated and went on the Monday before last year

Q. WHAT IS FOOD
A. PLACES EVERYONE SEEMS TO SUGGEST YOU EAT IN THE AREA:

Firstly, a map showing all the places to eat close to the Convention center. The closest food to the convention itself is likely in the form of food trucks on Georgia Street (right outside the uhh East entrance I think). I have heard basically only good things about all of those trucks though I have not tried them myself yet.
  • The Ram (brewpub with gamer-themed menu, albeit one that has been slacking off in recent years due to...)
  • Scotty's Brewhouse (...the old manager at the Ram moving here and taking his gamer-enthusiasm with him)
  • Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, though Lawen would kill me if I did not mention St. Elmo Steakhouse in the same breath
  • And speaking of St. Elmo, after 2015, Harry & Izzy's actually became my favorite place to eat in Indianapolis, because as Mudcrab Merchant points out, it is basically the food from St. Elmo (connected next door) but at a fraction of the price.
  • First Watch (I have not been there but apparently it has the FRESHEST INGREDIENTS despite being a chain)
  • Patachou (closes at like 3 P.M., but legitimately amazing quality breakfast/lunch)
  • STEAK 'N' SHAKE BECAUSE I AM FROM NORMAL, ILLINOIS AND I WILL BE PROUD OF OUR HOMETOWN CREATION UNTIL THE DAY I DIE
  • ! Haveli is the most commonly Goon-recommended Indian place. Certainly it is good, and they apparently have a lunch buffet, if you are some sort of "lunch-eater."MUTHAFUKKIN R.I.P. :mad:
  • Prime 47, if you want to go a little farther for some food you also cannot afford. I remember going here with my then-girlfriend once and it was very good, but we also felt strange eating somewhere so fancy while wearing Hawaiian shirts.
  • And Yard House is heartily recommended by RADIO FREE WALRUS
  • Thanks to CellBlock, we now know that

CellBlock posted:

there is a Primanti Bros. in Indianapolis now. If you like big sandwiches with french fries on them, that's a good place
    , conveniently located in the Circle Centre Mall (also known as "the thing that you always walk past near the Convention Center but quite possibly have never gone into that has the movie theater")
  • PLUS apparently Café Patachou has opened a pizzeria called Napolese Pizzeria which is also seemingly in the Circle Center Mall so I need to eat there RIGHT NOW
  • AND WOW the Circle Center Mall hits just keep on coming!!!

Conan the Librarian posted:

Also, I'm not sure how this wasn't mentioned earlier in the food section but I've had a wonderful time at Pearings Cafe for great breakfast crepes and coffee each morning of the con.

If you are one of the 1% of attendees able to walk under her/his own power, here are some of the best Indianapolis restaurants that are still technically walkable but are probably like a mile away or so:
  • Milktooth, suggested by DJFooBoo as the "head chef is a James Beard award winner who focuses on breakfast/brunch. Holy poo poo you should eat there dumbass!" Thanks ;(
  • MacNivens for Great Scotch Eggs!
  • Mesh on Mass is "spectacular" THAT IS ALL I KNOW
  • Not gonna lie, I have wanted to go to The Rathskeller ever since Gen-Con first moved, as it somehow got talked up as the single place you absolutely must go that was not close to the convention. Needless to say I have therefore never gone, but I DO love me some good German food.
  • Bazbeaux for pizza
  • Bakersfield for tacos...!??
  • Bru Burger for ... burgers
  • Bluebeard sounds like a pretty amazing place with a constantly-changing menu
  • Union 50 sounds delicious though it has LIVE MUSIC so BEWARE
  • Shapiro's Delicatessen made a list of the best 25 restaurants in Indianapolis so just go there already
  • Long's Bakery for THE BEST DONUTS APPARENTLY
  • Maxine's Chicken and Waffles is, according to Elephant Ambush, the best breakfast.
  • Fogo De Chao to gorge on unlimited top-notch steak and other meaty gubbins
  • Lawen posted:

Punch Bowl Social - I stumbled (literally) across this place last year and it was a high point of the trip. It's a big, nice bar at the other end of Georgia St near the basketball arena. It had good food and very good cocktails and is the only place in Indy I've found where I can do shots of Fernet-Branca. It also has 8 bowling lanes, 3 dart boards, 2 ping-pong tables, 2 bocce ball courts, 3 private karaoke rooms, a retro arcade, corn hole, a giant Scrabble game, and plenty of table space for board gaming. Best of all, it was completely loving empty last year -- they'd only opened a few months earlier and no one seemed to know about it. I apparently got drunkenly, annoyingly effusive about it in GroupMe and people were mean to me but don't hold that against Punch Bowl. I'm definitely planning to go back this year and imo it'd be a great venue for Shot Wednesday assuming nerd trivia is still dead.

camoseven posted:

:guinness: GENERAL INDY BEER INFO :guinness:
I would like some more information about places to eat and drink in Indianapolis, please. Well, aren't you a needy little poo poo! Luckily for you I made a list of places I like (and some I avoid) in the downtown Indy area! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THIS UGLY LIST THAT I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON! I was going to make a map, too, but :effort:. I also killed two birds with one stone and threw some things in there for my family, so just ignore any references to my mom's place or whatever.

Here is VISIT INDY'S list of all its restaurants that have appeared on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (a show on the Food Network here in The America). Oh and looking at the list in 2017 it appears they added/I never noticed the places featured on Man vs. Food, Eat Street, Top 5 Restaurants, and The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Repeat offenders from Goon recommendations on these these lists: St. Elmo Steakhouse and Milktooth. Guess those two really are awesome.

And here we have VISIT INDY's list of its TOP 25 LOCAL RESTAURANTS! Several Gen-Con/this post favorites show up, including Café Patachou, Scotty's Brewhouse, Bazbeaux, and St. Elmo.

Q. DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER GENERIC TIPS FOR ME
A. YES AND YES I DID STEAL THE IDEA FOR THIS SECTION FROM 2016'S EXCELLENT COMIC CON THREAD

Oh but first LuiCypher wrote a GUIDE

LuiCypher posted:

Ugh. I don't know what compelled me to do this, but here's the quintessential GenCon Housing Guide based upon both my experiences and those of other goons in this thread for TYOOL 2017. Let me know if you think I missed anything major.
  • If you are not in good enough shape to be on your feet for hours a day and to walk about a dozen miles over the course of several days, you might want to get on that. For reasons entirely unrelated to the convention, generally, but in this case specifically for the convention.
  • The Comic Con thread suggests the 6/2/1 rule, though I prefer the 5/3/1 rule, but the idea is the same: Sleep at least 5/6 hours, eat 2/3 meals, and take 1 shower every day. Honestly, if you can handle going a long time without eating, I suggest taking advantage of your hotel's free breakfast buffet (you should stay at a hotel with a free breakfast buffet) and stuffing yourself silly and then trying to make it until dinner time, since nearby businesses are often packed during lunchtime and ending up missing two quality hours of the exhibit hall just to eat a sandwich seems like a bad deal to me. And yes, this is often called the "3/2/1" rule, but seriously, I have never seen anyone consistently sleep ~3 hours a night and not end up literally passing out AT THE GAMING TABLE by day three.
  • Favor messenger bags over backpacks, and even backpacks over rolling suitcases (from both usefulness and not-injuring-others perspectives). You could probably favor fanny packs over messenger bags if you were that comfortable looking ... ...... not much different than the others around you.
  • Due to the average level of social capability at any gaming convention, Goons have traditionally proven to be excellent choices for hangout-buddies here; I will reserve the second post for lists of Goon-run events (both formal and informal) and other such meeting-up-portunities (since last year I did a bad job helping coordinate that).
  • Oh if you are into this kind of thing here are the relevant links: Gen Con Official Twitterrrrrr, Gen Con Indy Official FAAaaAAaacebOoOOOK, Wizards of the Coast's Gen-Con Retrospective Page
  • Oh neat and they also have a Jon Peterson-authored timeline of important Dungeons & Dragons events; this is pretty Gen-Con-related
  • Slandible posted:

E>> One other thing I would suggest I didn't see in the OP, is dressing in layers. I know it's the middle of summer and you're going to be packed into the center like cattle, but by around 8 pm, a large amount of people start leaving. And by close to midnight, all the AC units in the place turn it into a giant meat locker. I froze my rear end off the first night.

Here we have Dave Megarry, creator of Dungeon!, running his original copy on the table he designed it on: Dave Arneson's Ping-Pong Table. I single-handedly pushed this table through the entirety of the Convention Center, from the parking lot under the J.W. Marriott to the Lucas Oil Arena. It took like 30 minutes. YOU ARE WELCOME

-=`*~ FINAL NOTES ~*'=-
THEY SOLD OUT LAST YEAR SO YOU (PROBABLY) DO ACTUALLY NEED TO GET A BADGE SOONER THAN LATER

(Or get into the volunteering scene, lots of last-minute opportunities to attend that way)

As one last thing if you want to entertain yourself in a Gen-Con fashion, you can peruse Alan DeSmet's awesome page of last year's events to get an idea of what else you might find.

I cannot believe nobody questioned me claiming that Gary Gygax's gaming setup from Gary Con belonged in this post

As always...

SEE. YOU. THERE.

(Thanks Nesbit37)

(Thanks Bottom Liner)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Reserved, as always, for a post that will probably never actually be made.

Nah who knows man, 2018 is a year full of nerdy possibilities

Edit: Greetings from 2019 thread research

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 25, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
:getin:

Feb 10th is when you find out your spot in the housing line! Feb 11st is housing lottery day!

E:holy poo poo good title my man

Fellis fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 7, 2018

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Our group is planning on being in town on Wednesday this year, getting hyped.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Super pumped, especially since I'll have a booth this year! I'll be getting in on Tuesday and leaving Monday. Just the beginning of stretching Gen Con into an all year affair.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Someone in the GroupMe last year recommended the restaurant Punch Bowl Social and it was really good, so you know, add it to the list or whatever. Also entirely empty at peak meal times, so probably a safe choice. Yelp if you care.

This year's goals include getting as drunk as I got last year without throwing up in the my friend's bathtub. Also, sneak into the Asmodee industry party again. That was my top achievement last year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I might be rolling into town solo this year ): but instead of ignoring goons in favor of my group I'll try and get in on all the random games that pop up.

If I get a good spot in the line I might look for roommates for downtown.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Gencon!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Gencon!!!!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I have a few pics from last year's Gen Con
Gary Gygax's sand table. Gary decided that some creatures should take longer to cross from one side of this thing to the other and that's why, to this day, your dwarf only moves 20 feet per round.

A bunch of original gaming stuff!

Prototype of the boardgame Dungeon.

Dave Arneson's ping pong table where he invented the modern RPG.

Stuff from the earliest Gen Cons

A recreation of the Lake Geneva Horticultural Hall where the first Gen Con took place.

A perfect RPGdotJPEG for you.

Dave from Monkeyfun Studios showing off Gruel Truck.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Quarex failed to mention the Gencon 2018...

pre-game-a-palooza
slash
running-of-the-bulls
slash
seperate the adults with drinking problems from the children with drinking problems
slash
what do you mean you ordered 36 shots of fireball
slash
event that has grown beyond my ability to control:

Borne out of my inability to sit at a table with 12-20 goons at a chain restaurant without kicking things into a much stupider gear, we will likely return to the same German restaurant and drink our faces off.

Time: Wednesday, TBD

This was the only aftermath photo of last year's nonsense I got.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm so loving excited, 7 months out!
I'm going to take a half day on Wednesday this year so I can arrive not at midnight.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I want to go to the cat cafe

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Gencon?

Gencon.

Gencon!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe this year we can get through one god damned turn of that Mars game.

Incidentally, I can't remember the name of the game itself.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Does anyone have pro tips for flying to Gen Con? We've always driven, but we're moving across the country this year and will have to fly to get to Gen Con. In particular, how do people handle buying big items? Do you just ship it back? Pack light and have some way of putting it in your suitcase while preventing baggage handlers from molesting your bag and dinging up your nice new stuff? Take your haul as carry-on? Employ quantum teleportation?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Countblanc posted:

I want to go to the cat cafe

Bonus points! If you go to the Cat Cafe there are some of the great food options nearby like Kuma's Corner.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Does anyone have pro tips for flying to Gen Con? We've always driven, but we're moving across the country this year and will have to fly to get to Gen Con. In particular, how do people handle buying big items? Do you just ship it back? Pack light and have some way of putting it in your suitcase while preventing baggage handlers from molesting your bag and dinging up your nice new stuff? Take your haul as carry-on? Employ quantum teleportation?

There's a place in the convention center where you can ship large items home. Alternately, you can take old clothes and donate them to a homeless guy when you leave and fill your luggage with awesome new game purchases.

edit: you can always pack an empty backpack and use that as a carry on when you come home. In 2015 they gave away some neat satchel looking bags so I used that as a carry on and checked my suitcase when flying home

Pez fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 25, 2018

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Awesome new thread Dr. Quarex, thanks for making it!

I'm stoked for my...6th? 7th? consecutive GenCon but won't really be able to get excited until our JW room is secured in the lottery.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I've dealt with this a few different ways. The easiest but most expensive is to ship, there's a FedEx store in the JW by the Starbucks (just get there early on Sunday since there's usually a line by the time they open). Checking or carrying on a bag full of games works fine, baggage handlers and TSA don't care about or gently caress with games in my experience but taking an extra empty suitcase to fill for the return trip isn't ideal. Maybe you and your partner/GenCon buddy could pack light and consolidate into a clothes bag and a game bag for the return trip? I now have a friend who gets a booth every year and is cool about letting me throw poo poo in his van to haul home halfway across the country but that's not really an option for everyone.

Honestly though, and I know this is blasphemy, I've bought a lot fewer games the past couple years. I used to buy every hot game and spend $70ish to ship a big box home and then not get around to playing them for a couple months, when they're already available on CSI/Amazon for cheaper with free shipping. Now I pretty much only buy stuff that I want to open and play at GenCon, stuff to get signed, or stuff that will never be available elsewhere.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Buyer's remorse is definitely something I've dealt with both times I've been. I get so excited to grab something early (I'm looking at you King of New York), buy it then realized I overpaid just to play something a month or 2 early.

I was all excited to go this year and yesterday my daughter informed me she's due with my first grandkid not long after the Con so now I have to decide if I want to make plans that close to her big event. Kids :arghfist:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Maybe worth adding (a shorter paraphrase) to the OP?

Punch Bowl Social - I stumbled (literally) across this place last year and it was a high point of the trip. It's a big, nice bar at the other end of Georgia St near the basketball arena. It had good food and very good cocktails and is the only place in Indy I've found where I can do shots of Fernet-Branca. It also has 8 bowling lanes, 3 dart boards, 2 ping-pong tables, 2 bocce ball courts, 3 private karaoke rooms, a retro arcade, corn hole, a giant Scrabble game, and plenty of table space for board gaming. Best of all, it was completely loving empty last year -- they'd only opened a few months earlier and no one seemed to know about it. I apparently got drunkenly, annoyingly effusive about it in GroupMe and people were mean to me but don't hold that against Punch Bowl. I'm definitely planning to go back this year and imo it'd be a great venue for Shot Wednesday assuming nerd trivia is still dead.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I went to gencon for the first time in 2016, skipped 2017, and am going this year. I'm considering running a game or two of BSG because it's my favorite game and apparently there was a lot more interest than events for it last year. Am I totally nuts?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Maybe this year we can get through one god damned turn of that Mars game.

Incidentally, I can't remember the name of the game itself.

Oh god I forgot about The Mars Game, I may still have the app installed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What is The Mars Game?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Oh god I forgot about The Mars Game, I may still have the app installed

I hope so, my Googling leads to nothing recognizable. I swear it was Mars specific but none of the Mars games I've found have the thousands of pieces and require an app to play.

Last year, my buddy bought a neat little journal from a booth. It had space on every page for board game info. Name, description, pros and cons, booth number etc. Designed for keeping track of games you try out in the dealer's hall. Anyone know which company that was, or know of something similar? I could just use my phone or a regular notebook sure but this was a cool thing made by one person.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I hope so, my Googling leads to nothing recognizable. I swear it was Mars specific but none of the Mars games I've found have the thousands of pieces and require an app to play.

Last year, my buddy bought a neat little journal from a booth. It had space on every page for board game info. Name, description, pros and cons, booth number etc. Designed for keeping track of games you try out in the dealer's hall. Anyone know which company that was, or know of something similar? I could just use my phone or a regular notebook sure but this was a cool thing made by one person.

If their was an app involved then it was most likely Ignacy Trzewiczek's newest bad game: First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet. A "refinement" of the systems he first used in Robinson Crusoe. Coincidentally it is currently on sale at CSI for turdy dollars.

Other mars games I can think off:
Terraforming Mars
Pocket Mars
Mission: Red Planet

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

the mars game is where you run up to another attendee, scream MARS at them as loud as possible, and then punch them in face

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Cat Face Joe posted:

the mars game is where you run up to another attendee, scream MARS at them as loud as possible, and then punch them in face

The app part of the game is that you only do this when people are looking at their phones.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ZachAttack posted:

The app part of the game is that you only do this when people are looking at their phones.

the element of surprise is key during the later days of the convention

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ZachAttack posted:

If their was an app involved then it was most likely Ignacy Trzewiczek's newest bad game: First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet. A "refinement" of the systems he first used in Robinson Crusoe. Coincidentally it is currently on sale at CSI for turdy dollars.

Other mars games I can think off:
Terraforming Mars
Pocket Mars
Mission: Red Planet

It sure as poo poo was First Martians. Board Game Geeks gives it a 4.13/5 on the complexity rating and boy is that right. It's like someone tried to translate a video game to a board game without considering all the work the computer does behind the scenes.

My buddy responded about those journals too: https://conquestjournal.com/product-category/gen-con/

$15 seems good for something you'll be able to use at many cons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cat Face Joe posted:

In 2015 me and a friend brought our girlfriends to their first convention ever and we tried to convince them that people wearing tails were participating in a game where you had to grab the tail and run off.

They did not believe us

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

I went to gencon for the first time in 2016, skipped 2017, and am going this year. I'm considering running a game or two of BSG because it's my favorite game and apparently there was a lot more interest than events for it last year. Am I totally nuts?

if Nemesis of Moles has taught me anything, it's that the only requirement to run an event at gencon is to show up on time and be reasonably sober.

and these both seem like soft requirements.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Running events is super super easy, go here - https://www.gencon.com/event_registrations/new, submit the event, wait till they assign you a table. Then show up at that time and date and play the game. Its very chill. They don't even really give a poo poo if you forget to collect the tickets from people. I've always had a very pleasant time with randos at GenCon the 3 or 4 times I've run games.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I've always had a very pleasant time with randos at GenCon the 3 or 4 times I've run games.
:same:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've had good times with the random players who show up but the guys running events have been hit or miss.

My character got into a rapey situation in the Atomic Robo RPG for Christ's sake :wtc:

And at the "learn to play shadowrun 5e" event the gm sat a single rulebook on the table and just let us go for almost two hours for character creation. Then we each got a single action in the scenario and without it ending he went "times up have a good night"

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There are absolutely some godawful GMs out there. Every year I sign up for what appears to be a really cool concept for a session then find out its being run by The Worst Person and either suffer through 3 hours of Nothing Of Value or leave.

The correct answer is always Leave.

A year or two ago I sat down to play a 4e XCrawl game that was supposed to be a "Charity XCrawl Brawl" so I thought, cool, that sounds wacky and fun. Got there and it turned out to be a demo for a $2000 table with an IPad in it where we didn't even do anything particularly XCrawly

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Make sure when you try to goonrush an awful sounding game that sounds like it’s going to encourage bad homosexual stereotypes, its not actually being run by a lbgtq-friendly organization trying to run inclusive games in a positive environment

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fellis posted:

Make sure when you try to goonrush an awful sounding game that sounds like it’s going to encourage bad homosexual stereotypes, its not actually being run by a lbgtq-friendly organization trying to run inclusive games in a positive environment

But definitely take a big steaming dump on the NSDM game

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Deviant posted:

Look man, the rose-tinted glasses I wear RELIGIOUSLY tell me I had an OK time, and I got a sweet book out of it because I was the ROCKET MAN and got bonus points for ROCKETS and we as the USSR flew a man to the Moon TWICE before the US did (okay, actually once but the fact that they allowed us to stage a fake moon landing was awesome.)

I don't think I'd do an NSDM game at GENCON again tho.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Does anyone have pro tips for flying to Gen Con?

I've flown in twice, and my Lifehack(tm) is to have a duffel bag rolled up in my carry-on, and then just check my bag filled with nerd poo poo on the return trip. Checked-bag fees < Postage fees (especially considering the Convention Price Hike)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Deviant posted:

I have literally never been able to read this as anything but National Socialist Death Metal. :negative:

Carteret posted:

I've flown in twice, and my Lifehack(tm) is to have a duffel bag rolled up in my carry-on, and then just check my bag filled with nerd poo poo on the return trip. Checked-bag fees < Postage fees (especially considering the Convention Price Hike)

That's not a bad idea, especially since I flew enough last year that I have status on Delta, so we'll get a free checked bag each. Maybe if I just wrap shirts and stuff around my precious board game boxes, they won't get dinged up by the baggage handlers.