Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My buddy got a VIG badge in the lottery so I'm looking forward to this year more than usual since most the headache of getting a downtown room is gone. Hopefully it's better this year with housing with it not being the anniversary and the price hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

djfooboo posted:

Bonus points! If you go to the Cat Cafe there are some of the great food options nearby like Kuma's Corner.
We did go to Kumar's ... Kuma's Corner, possibly even for dinner after the Cat Café (not sure...Cap'n? MODS???). I could not believe how good my burger was. AS EXPECTED.

Fellis posted:

E:holy poo poo good title my man
Thank you kind Fellis! Every year when it is almost time to post the thread I quickly send TORRENT a message with a basic idea, then he sends me back a significant improvement on that idea, and then I say something else related in response and he says "oh, I like that!" and then we e-make out and voilà! the thread has a title.

In other news, I think I edited in all the important suggestions for the original post so far.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Dr. Quarex posted:

We did go to Kumar's ... Kuma's Corner, possibly even for dinner after the Cat Café (not sure...Cap'n? MODS???). I could not believe how good my burger was. AS EXPECTED.

Can confirm! The cat cafe also had some pretty good hot chocolate and I want to say a vegan chocolate chip cookie? And yes, Kuma's Corner was awesome, let's go again this year, let's go RIGHT NOW GENCOOOOOOON

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Done and done

And oh yeah, I knew I forgot something

GEN-CON!!!!!!!!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Gencon is good

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Haystack posted:

Gencon is blood

Fixed that for you

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tickets bought, no late game missing out for me. Will Call because I'll be up Wednesday and will have all day to get them. :woop:

EDIT: I know everyone uses GroupMe for the chitchats; is there any interest in a Discord server? Also, whats the Wi-Fi situation at the Center? Every so often last year I would get a whiff of a free connection. Do they offer paid Wi-Fi? Probably not worth the price if so.

EDIT EDIT: :ohdear:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 26, 2018

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
RED ALERT

Edit: Most recent review is from November, no wonder we had not heard anything, THEY JUST DIED MAN

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

WHAT NO WHY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Their webpage is still up??? COULD IT BE A PRANK??? yeah probably not

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
This is a dark timeline indeed.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Man what the gently caress am i gonna do for food if haveli’s is closed that place is like 40% of my meals

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fellis posted:

Man what the gently caress am i gonna do for food if haveli’s is closed that place is like 40% of my meals

I dunno, you might NOT fill our hotel room with curry farts for once. That'd be swell.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deviant posted:

if Nemesis of Moles has taught me anything, it's that the only requirement to run an event at gencon is to show up on time and be reasonably sober.

and these both seem like soft requirements.

Soberness very soft as time approaches midnight

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Tickets bought, no late game missing out for me. Will Call because I'll be up Wednesday and will have all day to get them. :woop:

EDIT: I know everyone uses GroupMe for the chitchats; is there any interest in a Discord server? Also, whats the Wi-Fi situation at the Center? Every so often last year I would get a whiff of a free connection. Do they offer paid Wi-Fi? Probably not worth the price if so.

There's free verizon wifi if you have verizon there but im not sure about anything else

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Deviant posted:

I dunno, you might NOT fill our hotel room with curry farts for once. That'd be swell.

Cartaret and OB Juan went with me last year, you can’t prove anything!!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I mean, if you eat alone like a true goon even the super packed places will have 0 wait. Always at least one empty seat at the bar.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ITS NOT RIGHT GOD DAMNIT

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Fellis posted:

Cartaret and OB Juan went with me last year, you can’t prove anything!!

We could prove that the curry farts happened.

Also, bets on 2018 Time-Till-Goblin?

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

But... Why?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

selnaric posted:

But... Why?

I mean, if the place was so empty during one of the busiest 4 days of the year for Indy imagine what it was like the rest of the year.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just looked at my schedule and realized I will have to weasel my way out of both my jobs :(

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

We could prove that the curry farts happened.

Also, bets on 2018 Time-Till-Goblin?

I literally just got cold chills thinking about that loving guy. I swear to god if we see him this year I will audibly yell.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Carteret posted:

I literally just got cold chills thinking about that loving guy. I swear to god if we see him this year I will audibly yell.

Who dat be?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Been a few years since I have been there. They open up any new hotel's downtown? Prices for them still like 3x the airport hotel?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Been a few years since I have been there. They open up any new hotel's downtown? Prices for them still like 3x the airport hotel?

Prices for downtown, in block, are around $200 each. So definitely more but not crazytown more.

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Downtown $186 2.8 miles
Columbia Club $202 5 Blocks
Conrad Indianapolis $252-$287* 2 Blocks
Courtyard by Marriott Capitol $199 5 Blocks
Courtyard by Marriott Downtown $212-$232 skywalk**
Crowne Plaza at the Union Station $215* - $372 skywalk**
Embassy Suites Downtown $241-$251 skywalk**
Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown $188-$218 skywalk**
Hampton Inn Downtown $200 2 Blocks
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown $211* 5 Blocks
Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites $180*-$246 3 Blocks
Holiday Inn Indianapolis Downtown $200* 3 Blocks
Home2 Suites $216-$226 6 Blocks
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis $228* skywalk**
Indianapolis Marriott Downtown $229-$457 skywalk**
JW Marriott Indianapolis $240-$482 skywalk**
Le Meridien Indianapolis $239* skywalk**
Omni Severin $217* skywalk**
Sheraton Indianapolis City Center Hotel $208-$229 4 Blocks
Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown $185 2.3 Miles
SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown $199-$219 skywalk**
Staybridge Suites Indianapolis City Centre $208-$233 3 Blocks
The Alexander $211-$222 5 Blocks
The Westin $216* skywalk**

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Prices for downtown, in block, are around $200 each. So definitely more but not crazytown more.

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Downtown $186 2.8 miles
Columbia Club $202 5 Blocks
Conrad Indianapolis $252-$287* 2 Blocks
Courtyard by Marriott Capitol $199 5 Blocks
Courtyard by Marriott Downtown $212-$232 skywalk**
Crowne Plaza at the Union Station $215* - $372 skywalk**
Embassy Suites Downtown $241-$251 skywalk**
Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown $188-$218 skywalk**
Hampton Inn Downtown $200 2 Blocks
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown $211* 5 Blocks
Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites $180*-$246 3 Blocks
Holiday Inn Indianapolis Downtown $200* 3 Blocks
Home2 Suites $216-$226 6 Blocks
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis $228* skywalk**
Indianapolis Marriott Downtown $229-$457 skywalk**
JW Marriott Indianapolis $240-$482 skywalk**
Le Meridien Indianapolis $239* skywalk**
Omni Severin $217* skywalk**
Sheraton Indianapolis City Center Hotel $208-$229 4 Blocks
Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown $185 2.3 Miles
SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown $199-$219 skywalk**
Staybridge Suites Indianapolis City Centre $208-$233 3 Blocks
The Alexander $211-$222 5 Blocks
The Westin $216* skywalk**

This is the convention pricing right? Just trying to figure out budgets for this year.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

Who dat be?

A gremlin in a teemo hat. Last seen exiting onto the 4th floor of the Mariott Courtyard in the JW plaza, where of course, that horrible massacre occured.

This is a bit, we kept seeing this weird short dude all around the convention (he was briefly described to me and i somehow picked him out of a crowd about 10 min later) and then we discovered he was staying in the same hotel as us

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mr.Trifecta posted:

This is the convention pricing right? Just trying to figure out budgets for this year.

Yes that is in block pricing. Double all of those (at least) for out of block rates.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fellis posted:

A gremlin in a teemo hat. Last seen exiting onto the 4th floor of the Mariott Courtyard in the JW plaza, where of course, that horrible massacre occured.

This is a bit, we kept seeing this weird short dude all around the convention (he was briefly described to me and i somehow picked him out of a crowd about 10 min later) and then we discovered he was staying in the same hotel as us

We were only aware of him because we shared an elevator with him and he says, totally unprompted:

"Man, some stinky rear end gamers around here."

to which we all kind of chuckle and go "Yeah, that's gencon."

"They need to get some AXE!"

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I shared an elevator with the Dungeon World Guy and then complemented his choice in fried chicken over twitter last year. PYF GenCon Elevator Story.

In 2015 (I think) I told Patrick Rossfuss to pls write something as he got into an elevator and he seemed real sad as the doors closed.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

did you tell him to write a good book

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Ilor and I got into an elevator with a dude wearing spats and sporting a waxed mustache at PAXUP, does that count?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fellis posted:

did you tell him to write a good book

I just asked him when he was gonna get around to writing something, anything. In hindsight it was kinda edgelord rude of me and I kinda regret it but also Rossfuss still hasnt released a book in the 3 years since I suggested that to him so

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ilor and I got into an elevator with a dude wearing spats and sporting a waxed mustache at PAXUP, does that count?

absolutely

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Me and ZackAttack met the dungeon world guy and he is awesome and cool and had funny stories about making poo poo up as a DM and I dunno give him more money because he is good

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
By "dungeon world guy" do you guys mean Adam Koebel? He had breakfast one table over from us at Cafe Patachou on Friday morning last year. I hope he was not too alarmed when BlackIronHeart and I were casually discussing murdering one of our roommates in order to end the snoring. Oh god, the snoring.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yup. Koebel. He "seemed" cool as gently caress for the brief moment we spoke.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

I dont think we met at PAXUP!! :mad:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ilor posted:

By "dungeon world guy" do you guys mean Adam Koebel? He had breakfast one table over from us at Cafe Patachou on Friday morning last year. I hope he was not too alarmed when BlackIronHeart and I were casually discussing murdering one of our roommates in order to end the snoring. Oh god, the snoring.

If your roommate refuses to buy and use nasal strips, you are well within your rights to force them on while they are sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I had to google spats

I wish it was this instead of the shoes.