Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

monster hunter: rise gets announced and all these lunatics start talking about importing a stuffed dog for $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
im excited for the new monster hunter game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im really excited but also need to see more deets about all the New Moves.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The new moves are Tower Climb and Forced Tower Climb with the handler

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I still never bought ice borne because I can’t stand the thought of playing through another world campaign

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020
the campaign itself is much more abbreviated so as to rush you to "the good poo poo" however the amount of dialoge and cutscenes is nearly equal if not greater

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its also extremely frustrating bc there's one hunt at the very end of the story that has a co-op cutscene that loads in the entire group for a event in the middle of the quest and i scream at capcom for sticking to their godawful restrictions on watching cutscenes before someone can join you from the beginning. hope that poo poo isnt in rise.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
i really hope they stop trying to give mh a story, it sucks so bad just let me kill the monsters

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I hope it being on switch means they can easily port monsters and assets. The entire GU cast + this with world conveniences sounds sick

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

apropos to nothing posted:

i really hope they stop trying to give mh a story, it sucks so bad just let me kill the monsters

yeah seriously. i hope they dont take the wrong lesson from world doing so well

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

I'm hoping for a surprise new weapon reveal

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

musclebusiness posted:

I'm hoping for a surprise new weapon reveal

Tonfas from mhf please

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Tonfas from mhf please

god i hope not, or at least implemented better

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tonfa? I hardly knew 'er!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

there's going to be a lot more story crap because world sold like 10 million copies outside of japan and none of the others have ever sold near that much. farewell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzMj6q0CebY

mh rise gameplay. looks gently caress awesome.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzMj6q0CebY

mh rise gameplay. looks gently caress awesome.

looks perfect

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
A little late to the party but I'm having a hard time soloing negrigante with greatsword.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

A little late to the party but I'm having a hard time soloing negrigante with greatsword.

Attack his weakpoint for massive damage.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

I had trouble with the hammer but I had no problems after switching to sword and shield. Being able to cancel out of attacks and bail when necessary is important

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

At least take me out to dinner first.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

I had trouble with the hammer but I had no problems after switching to sword and shield. Being able to cancel out of attacks and bail when necessary is important

Yeah I just put level 3 quick sheath together and it's helping a little. It's that dive bomb that gets me; doesn't quite one-shot me from full but if I'm missing even a little health it's a KO. I need to try guarding too , it's the one GS move I always forget exists

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

Nostradingus posted:

Is this in HR or MR?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Yeah I just put level 3 quick sheath together and it's helping a little. It's that dive bomb that gets me; doesn't quite one-shot me from full but if I'm missing even a little health it's a KO. I need to try guarding too , it's the one GS move I always forget exists

do you know how to superman dive? that's the best way to deal with the divebomb. if you're running away from a monster while dodging you do a huge bellyflop and youre invincible for a really long time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

do you know how to superman dive? that's the best way to deal with the divebomb. if you're running away from a monster while dodging you do a huge bellyflop and youre invincible for a really long time

yeah I use it a ton with quick sheath the invincibility period is insane! Also lmao I'm sure this is old news but I ran into Deviljho for the first time 5 minutes into farming Odogoran. He just loving bit him and picked him up in his mouth and slammed him against the ground a bunch and all of a sudden, hunt complete. Really cool and properly terrified me

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naqZx5oF9Yg lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmao it's gonna be sick. Waiting for them to announce the Vod release so I can see it ASAP

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've recently beaten Nergigante and Kushala Daora for the first time. How much left till I can start Iceborne and is it still worth doing the original end game stuff like tempered monsters?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

you should do hundreds of hours of tempered monsters esp the kirin

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

mysterious loyall X posted:

you should do hundreds of hours of tempered monsters esp the kirin

this. also iirc iceborne immediately makes you stronger than base game so if you want a challenge take them on now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I've recently beaten Nergigante and Kushala Daora for the first time. How much left till I can start Iceborne and is it still worth doing the original end game stuff like tempered monsters?

there's an obvious final boss in the base game that you're pretty close to, and then a handful of extra hunts from stuff they patched in that are worth doing now before you just obliterate them in IB armor. But the tempered grind is definitely something to skip since you'll just get MR armor in like 2 hunts that will be better, and you can now meld like all the god tier decos you'd be farming for anyway.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

skipping tempered monsters should be unskippable.. fabulous content much like the cutscenes. thank you based capcom

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If I want a rare item like this one that has a chance of dropping from both quest rewards and carves, is it something where the math on the best way to get it varies by item? Or is it generally always better to capture (while breaking as many parts as possible, carving the tail, etc)?

edit: I assume I always also want to be doing an Investigation with as many gold slots as possible for more drop chances, but this is just my gut instinct speaking. Not sure I'm actually clear on the difference between bronze/silver/gold reward slots but I just figure gold means rarer items

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

goferchan posted:

If I want a rare item like this one that has a chance of dropping from both quest rewards and carves, is it something where the math on the best way to get it varies by item? Or is it generally always better to capture (while breaking as many parts as possible, carving the tail, etc)?

edit: I assume I always also want to be doing an Investigation with as many gold slots as possible for more drop chances, but this is just my gut instinct speaking. Not sure I'm actually clear on the difference between bronze/silver/gold reward slots but I just figure gold means rarer items

you are correct, for rare items like gems you want investigations with as many gold slots as possible, kill or capture doesn't matter but capture is less time consuming so do that if you can lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

you are correct, for rare items like gems you want investigations with as many gold slots as possible, kill or capture doesn't matter but capture is less time consuming so do that if you can lol

Thank you. I got the gem first run after I made that post, which was maybe the real secret all along

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

mysterious loyall X posted:

skipping tempered monsters should be unskippable.. fabulous content much like the cutscenes. thank you based capcom

I wish they just made a MH game without cutscenes. Just open world hunting with a hub.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

I wish they just made a MH game without cutscenes. Just open world hunting with a hub.

The cutscenes and story what what brought MH from boring niche game to epic AAA masterpiece lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The cutscenes and story what what brought MH from boring niche game to epic AAA masterpiece lol

Not being on a handheld or the wii helped it more than cut scenes and story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually I wish the walk and talk unskippable lore happened every time you did a hunt, not just the first time. It lets you appreciate the atmosphere.