Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Celeste is a challenging platforming game by Matt Makes Games, a team of Matt Thorson (creator of Towerfall) and Noel Berry! You play as Madeline, a young woman who has decided to reach the summit of Celeste Mountain! It's not an easy journey though, and Celeste Mountain is a strange place, but take your time and you'll get there on your own time.

The gameplay is reminiscent of VVVVVV (which I have played) and Super Meat Boy (which I haven't) in that it's a platformer that asks a good bit from you. You have a wall climb, wall jump and an air dash to help you on your way. So you're gonna die a lot. And that's totally cool, as you'll respawn on the exact same screen practically instantly. The hook comes not from getting new abilities, but each stage having a new mechanic that recontextualizes how you use the tools you have, constantly layering on the challenge and makes you feel like a complete brain genius when you nail it. There's also a ton of secrets and collectables in each stage, such as Strawberries, simply acting as a checklist of how well you explored with no unlocks behind them. There's also the Casette Tapes, which unlock a B Side level of the level you found them in, a remixed level with remixed music. There also seem to be a ton more secrets around, so good luck!

The backgrounds and mood are amazing, and the music is absolutely phenomenal. The soundtrack is by Lena Raine , with a few guest composers and it's real, real good. You can buy it right here! (full disclosure, i share mutual friends with the composer so hey, support them if you like the soundtrack)

Another neat feature is Assist Mode which allows you to tweak variables of the game to your liking if you're having a tough time. This is a really neat and I love the way the game frames it. You can turn on Assist Mode at anytime, but once it's on, it can never be turned off, that save file is an assist mode save file

This game is available on Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One and Steam for $20 . I'm enjoying it a lot

Feel free to share and discuss secrets, strategies, the story or post videos of you doing Sick Platforming Stunts. All I ask is that you spoiler things like the story or secret locations for everyone. I think it'd be fun to put some brains together on some of these.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I underestimated at first just how brutal the b side levels would be. The difficulty spike over the regular ones is insane.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Matt Thorson has made some really good games in the past, so I'll be sure to pick this up. Especially since I hear this game is also good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm on Chapter 5 right now and basically every one is my favorite one so far. I love how Chapter 4 is so sparse and solitary after all the NPC conversations and dialogue and stuff in Chapter 3. It's just you and the mountain.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Please someone help me with the bird puzzle in Stage 1, I think I know what I’m supposed to be doing but I’m going crazy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tempura Wizard posted:

Please someone help me with the bird puzzle in Stage 1, I think I know what I’m supposed to be doing but I’m going crazy.

Input the code from the satellite dish by dashing in sequence in the same direction that the same colored birds are.

I still need to know where the cassette tape is in chapter 1. Missing a few things in Chapter 2 as well but I don't feel like I've exhausted the search there yet.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also I really appreciate the way the story handles the sadbrains mental health stuff, it's really easy for that to come off as cheesy or pandering in video games but the implementation here is great. The playable breathing exercise segment during Madeline's panic attack at the end of Chapter 4 could have been terrible but I thought it felt really sincere

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Cross lost from Switch thread re: chapter 1 cassette.

Asclepius posted:

I... can't remember. And now going back to try to find it, I can't. And even though I already have it, this is driving me mental. Stay tuned.

E. Oh wait no I found it.

Hint 1 It's not actually in the second section, I don't know why it shows it there.

Hint 2 It's in the third section somewhere.

Hint 3 If you're paying attention as things move, and not just rushing dem sweet berries, you WILL see where you need to go.

Hint 4 It's off the beaten path somewhere.

Hint 5 Somewhere near the first and second berries in this section.

Solution:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I love it when a fantastic game just kind of appears out of nowhere. This looks awesome and I'm definitely going to pick it up later tonight.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Input the code from the satellite dish by dashing in sequence in the same direction that the same colored birds are.

I still need to know where the cassette tape is in chapter 1. Missing a few things in Chapter 2 as well but I don't feel like I've exhausted the search there yet.

I just got the tape -- the chapter select screen is misleading, it is NOT in section 2 :mad:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

goferchan posted:

I just got the tape -- the chapter select screen is misleading, it is NOT in section 2 :mad:

Asclepius posted:

Cross lost from Switch thread re: chapter 1 cassette.

Well that's no fair, I got all the berries in the third section on my first try so I never went back through it. :argh:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I played and really enjoyed the first level but am now away for the weekend and won't continue until Tuesday....Wanna climb

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Soundtrack owns bones.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I found 8-bit Celeste and played it for a straight half hour. Then my thumb fell off. I will never game again.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Here's my best time for Chapter 1 so far. I died a ton so I can probably easily get this down under two minutes

I still haven't seen past Chapter 1, game very good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol I admire your dedication. I'm way too caught up in the story now to be a completionist about things though, it's getting way too good

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Pico-8 doesn't save your progress if you exit it. :negative:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
the game is good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

aw heck yea

goferchan posted:

lol I admire your dedication. I'm way too caught up in the story now to be a completionist about things though, it's getting way too good
yea I probably wont (and shouldnt) be so thorough going forward, the first level just really hooked me. Just wanna figure out this dang satellite

Sounds like the B Sides are way harder, so probably best saved for after beating the game yeah?

e: lmao, I just realized I mispelled Breathe in the thread title. Whoops!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

Sounds like the B Sides are way harder, so probably best saved for after beating the game yeah?

Definitely. After chapter 2's I said to myself that I'd wait till the end to do any more. But then I got chapter 1's cassette and thought "well it's probably easier than 2 right?"

Half an hour later here I am and there's no turning back from this nightmare

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I tried the B-Side for Chapter 1 and can confirm it's really loving hard. There are some screens where just figuring out how it's physically possible to get through is a challenge, let alone the execution

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just completed Hollow Knight and absolutely loved the Path of Pain platforming challenge so this game came along at the exact right time for me. It looks really cute! :3:

drat if the different controls and having a climb (and no pogo) doesn't make me mess up a whole ton though. :arghfist:

SeXReX posted:

the game is good
I knew I recognized that face!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it I beat 1-B. I was right, it was easier than 2-B.

I only died 315 times instead of 338 :v:

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Pico 8 Celeste is really good. But it took me awhile to remember I can wall climb after playing it. Anyone get more than 18 strawberries in it? It doesn't seem to keep track or save that data anywhere, it just shows you when you reach the summit.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

18 is the number of berries in p8

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder if the inspiration for the strawberry comes from that joke that Khan told at Buckley's funeral. 

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ch1, 57 deaths. Ch2, 39 deaths.

Ch3, 176 deaths.

This game gonna get hard.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Chapter 2 spoilers: God the getting chased mechanic is so so good, I really want more of that. Also apparently it's not said anywhere but in press material, but Dark Madeline's name is Badeline, and that's very funny

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

please add to OP

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

goferchan posted:

please add to OP

:same:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lol, done

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SeXReX posted:

the game is good

Are u a dev ?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKnwVvXkWq0

favorite track so far. drat the music is nuts

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Just got through one of the screens on chapter 1 B-side on the first try despite misreading the situation and having to improvise. That kind of "not sure if that was skill or luck" moment is a lot of fun.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

goferchan posted:

Are u a dev ?

I was one of the beta testers, I did speedruns of the pico-8 version and they contacted me and a couple other runners about it.

also seconding putting my AV/Title in the OP :smug:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Just saw the end credits. 6:24 playtime, 74 strawberries -- after doing everything there was to do in Chapter 1 I basically rushed through the rest of the game and it was an absolute blast. I'm definitely gonna try and do all the B-sides & find all of the big hidden secrets, not sure if I'll ever grab all the strawberries though. Also it looked like some post-game stuff unlocked so I'm gonna check that out. All in all though that was one of the loveliest games I've played in a long time, I almost never marathon through stuff like this but I could not put it down.

(also I'm pretty sure that if I go for 100% it will, like, triple my playtime, so don't think this is a short game. My 6 hour time was skipping a TON of stuff)

edit: oh yeah, time to go hunt for Hearts

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 26, 2018

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

goferchan posted:

Just saw the end credits. 6:24 playtime, 74 strawberries -- after doing everything there was to do in Chapter 1 I basically rushed through the rest of the game and it was an absolute blast. I'm definitely gonna try and do all the B-sides & find all of the big hidden secrets, not sure if I'll ever grab all the strawberries though. Also it looked like some post-game stuff unlocked so I'm gonna check that out. All in all though that was one of the loveliest games I've played in a long time, I almost never marathon through stuff like this but I could not put it down.

(also I'm pretty sure that if I go for 100% it will, like, triple my playtime, so don't think this is a short game. My 6 hour time was skipping a TON of stuff)

edit: oh yeah, time to go hunt for Hearts

there are secret challenges that afaik no one has completed in a single file including the testing team

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I happened upon the B-Side in Level 2 so I decided to give it a shot.

It took almost 250 lives, but I feel like a GOD after beating it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A strawberry in chapter 3 taught me how to get the blue heart in chapter 2 and it blew my loving MIND this game is insane.

Also chapter three is an extremely good spooky feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SeXReX posted:

there are secret challenges that afaik no one has completed in a single file including the testing team

Christ lol. I saw something in the achievement list referring to "completing all the C-Sides" and I really hope that's a typo and not what I think it means . On the other hand I really hope it's what I think it means :getin: