Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tesseraction posted:

The problem with the final screen isn't that individual parts of it are hard, it's that if you screw up you have to go back so goddamn far.

This is the problem I'm running into. I've got everything down except for the very last part, and every time I die there I have to take a break because I'm just not up for doing everything else along the way.

I'll get it eventually, and probably pretty soon in game time, but it might be a little while as measured by the calendar.

e: And got it. Now to see about that moon berry....

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Artelier posted:

Keep at it! I think that's the hardest room in the level for sure, stuck there much longer than anywhere else since it felt like the window of opportunity to get the room right is really small. If you can beat that room, you can definitely clear the rest of the game.

I found this screen harder tbh, but I don't know how many would agree. I got the block one pretty quickly comparatively.

(That link is obviously spoilers if you haven't done chapter 9)

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Hobojim posted:

I found this screen harder tbh, but I don't know how many would agree. I got the block one pretty quickly comparatively.

I forgot you could fast fall to catch up to the springs at the end (despite having already discovered fast falling earlier in the Chapter) and spent probably hundreds of lives trying to make what I thought was the intended perfect-pixel jump to the feather. I actually did eventually get it but I have no idea how because it clearly was not intended to be possible.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

There was a screen during the 6B Badeline fight that I did in an unintended way (I don't remember the exact screen, but it has blocks that fall after you hit her). I didn't notice a feather that you are supposed to grab after hitting her, and did some really tight dashes and jumps on falling blocks that took me forever to get, but I did do it eventually. I was really excited to see how speedrunners handled that part, and, well, when I watched one and they grabbed the feather, I felt really stupid.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Hobojim posted:

That one's another one of the screens where none of the individual elements are that hard; there's just a lot of them strung together and it's frustrating to reach the last one and then fail (as shown in that video).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Does the game ever actually teach fast falling? I don't remember seeing a tutorial anywhere.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Does the game ever actually teach fast falling? I don't remember seeing a tutorial anywhere.

No, which is why a couple of the screens in chapter 9 were later changed to not require it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm super glad that the Limited Run Games physical copies finally shipped - supposed to arrive today! I was waiting for that to replay the whole thing and play Chp9 for the first time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I still haven't finished Chapter 9 so I did an entire run of 1-8 A/B in a new game and it's almost scary how much easier they are after the punishment of 9.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Can anyone tell me how to corner boost? I've seen gifs of it and some contradictory explanations and am still lost. Sometimes if I dash-jump and just barely clip the top corner of a ledge it seems like it does it - is that the whole thing?

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Ocean Book posted:

Can anyone tell me how to corner boost? I've seen gifs of it and some contradictory explanations and am still lost. Sometimes if I dash-jump and just barely clip the top corner of a ledge it seems like it does it - is that the whole thing?

A corner-boost is when you do a grab-jump forward with momentum over the top few pixels of a wall. For best results your feet should be just below the edge of the wall you're boosting over, and it also helps to buffer the jump (press jump a few frames before you actually hit the wall).

The way it works is, climb-jumping over something preserves whatever momentum you have and gives you a small speed boost as well. Actually colliding with a wall though, will set your speed to 0. The game allows you to climb/jump off walls even when you are still a few pixels away, so if you are high enough up the wall, and buffer the jump soon enough, you can vault over the wall and get a nice boost.

Because of the way this works, it is usually easier to pull off if you already have upwards momentum. This is the reason many speedrunners bind a second jump button - so you can for example do a hyperdash with your normal dash+jump buttons, keep holding your normal jump button so your hyper continues to ascend, and then hold grab + press the second jump button when you're about to hit a corner. Some cornerboosts are done out of up-diagonal dashes as well, such as the final screen of 1A or the 'YEET' strat in 5A.

A good place to try this yourself is in the second screen of 1A. From the spawn point, do an extended hyper, hold the jump button, hold grab, and press the second jump button when you're about to hit the pillar with the spring on it.

The thing you're talking about when you barely clip the corner is known as a 'corner-glide'. It's pretty rare because I think it only occurs at one pixel. It gives you something similar to corner-boost momentum but without having to grab/jump. Usually it's undesirable because it's both too precise to aim for, and when you accidentally get it it can throw you off.

You can hit me up on the Celeste discord if you'd like any more clarifications, you can ping me @BirdoPrey.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Well, I made it, finally. Total time: 16:06:19 (2:30ish before the heart wall, the rest after). Total death count: 6628.

Another 2:45 or so on the last screen, although that was mostly because of how long each attempt takes; I'd worked on it over several nights then fired up the game tonight and one-shot it.

I might go back for 8B and C-sides now, since I somehow survived all of chapter 9.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 3, 2019

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay. World 9. Despite knowing I will never get that golden strawberry, I've steadily been making progress towards it.

Down to 47 deaths now. :toot: Most of them easily avoidable, stupid deaths, even. It's weird how on some runs, I cannot for the life of me get wavedashing to work reliably, resulting in dozens of deaths from every screen requiring multiple consecutive wavedashes. And on other runs, I get almost all of them in one or two tries. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that I'm doing right then.

But there are some screens I did not quite figure out how to do safely; there's two separate rooms involving these black dash-through blocks from world 2 which I'm having trouble getting reliably. For the first one, you have to go through 3 blocks with jumps, catch one unlock symbol, then take a lower route back through 3 other blocks; getting the unlock symbol is always up to chance, haven't found a good method yet. For the other room, the dash-through blocks are moving sideways, and I have no idea how to move over the spikes consistently. Diagonal dashing somewhere? I dunno.
Those two, and that MOTHERFUCKING lava stone launch room with the star spikes. I get that room with perfect timing, every time... after respawning. When entering the room normally, I just cannot get that stupid timing right. I HATE FAST-MOVING DEATH BLOBS.

All in all, I think sub-10 deaths are absolutely possible! It's those last 4 or 3 which keep loving you up :toot:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For wavedashing, I think my biggest hurdle was jumping too early and thus not resetting my dash. There's also two different timings to wavedashing; from ground, and from the air.

From what I can tell, your wavedash "resets" when Celeste is in that slight "crouch-y when landing pose," which happens almost immediately when done from air, but has a slight delay on the ground. I am not sure if this explanation is accurate, but it's the thought I use to judge my wavedashes.

--

So since I finally conquered Chapter 9, I went back and replayed Celeste twice! Just the main game, doing a "speedrun" of sorts - meaning finish the base game ASAP, off memory. No studying routes or patterns or strats or anything, just the knowledge, skill, and muscle memory from beating the definitive final chapter.

My original run took about 8 hours IIRC.

The first run since took me almost two hours.

And the next run took about 1 hour 28 minutes - I mostly remembered problem rooms and died way less. A lot of the times I died a lot trying to improvise a (normally wavedashing focused) speed strat. And sometimes I just get lost - looking at you chapter 5!

PS - Badeline is definitely my favourite part of the game to go fast in.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 8, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

But there are some screens I did not quite figure out how to do safely; there's two separate rooms involving these black dash-through blocks from world 2 which I'm having trouble getting reliably. For the first one, you have to go through 3 blocks with jumps, catch one unlock symbol, then take a lower route back through 3 other blocks; getting the unlock symbol is always up to chance, haven't found a good method yet. For the other room, the dash-through blocks are moving sideways, and I have no idea how to move over the spikes consistently. Diagonal dashing somewhere? I dunno.

1: It's about how long you hold the jump button down on exiting the star block. I found pressing the jump button for 1/8-1/4 second gives you the height over without going too high.

2: The two blocks that oscillate through two pillars with spikes on top? I dash up through the first one diagonally, grab the side of the second while it's to the left of the column, then once it's mostly gone back through said column I drop and diagonal jump through it with an exit boost to land on the one moving up and down on the wall.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

1: It's about how long you hold the jump button down on exiting the star block. I found pressing the jump button for 1/8-1/4 second gives you the height over without going too high.

2: The two blocks that oscillate through two pillars with spikes on top? I dash up through the first one diagonally, grab the side of the second while it's to the left of the column, then once it's mostly gone back through said column I drop and diagonal jump through it with an exit boost to land on the one moving up and down on the wall.

Aaaaaaaarghhhhhh

I'd like to say I knew it, but eeeeeh, you eventually turn blind to obvious solutions after doing it wrong often enough

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Artelier posted:

From what I can tell, your wavedash "resets" when Celeste is in that slight "crouch-y when landing pose," which happens almost immediately when done from air, but has a slight delay on the ground. I am not sure if this explanation is accurate, but it's the thought I use to judge my wavedashes.

The trick here is the delay between the dash and the jump - the timing here is actually the same whether you start in the air (wavedash) or on the ground (this is called an extended hyperdash). If you jump within frames 10-15 of your dash, as long as you are touching the ground, you will get the big speed boost + your dash back. If you start from the air most of those frames happen in the air so you can jump almost as soon as you hit the ground. But the absolute timing between the dash and jump is the same either way you do it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I'm super glad that the Limited Run Games physical copies finally shipped - supposed to arrive today! I was waiting for that to replay the whole thing and play Chp9 for the first time.

Been doing a full replay to experience 9 in the main game. Got through the first 8 with all 175 berries, the Crystal hearts, and a handful of full clears. 9A is super fun so far, I like the new mechanics, but I'm at a vertical room with rising trampolines to get a key in the jellyfish area and I think I've died more in this single room than the rest of this entire file combined.

edit: B/C-side gated heart wall in an A-side, lol

Poque fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 18, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Poque posted:

edit: B/C-side gated heart wall in an A-side, lol

To my knowledge, the way people refer to 9A/B/C is that 9A is up to that heart wall, 9B is the region after and 9C is the final screen.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tesseraction posted:

To my knowledge, the way people refer to 9A/B/C is that 9A is up to that heart wall, 9B is the region after and 9C is the final screen.

Cool, that makes sense. 568 deaths on 9A then, and I bet 400 of those were on the last key room.

That's perfect anyway since I was planning on going through the A's, B's, and C's in order.

On my prior playthrough I got through all the B's and half of the C's, getting stuck at 5C. So hopefully I can do them all this time. Had four golden berries too and I think there are a few more I could get.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ended up doing four of the B-Sides last night - 1-B, 2-B, 3-B, and 7-B. It's nice that even though I hadn't played in awhile, my death counts were WAY better than they were on my first playthrough. 1-B gold somehow feels achievable, though unlikely. I was also WAY better at super wall jumps than before and I used them in 2-B to some success during the Badeline pursuit rooms.

3-B is still awful but at least it's got the best B-Side theme in the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

3B isn't 3C, and really isn't that what actually matters?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ultrafilter posted:

3B isn't 3C, and really isn't that what actually matters?

I wish I could count the pixels by which I beat 3-C on my first playthrough because if I had missed this I probably would have never played again:

https://twitter.com/pox_please/status/993253364975595520

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Poque posted:

I wish I could count the pixels by which I beat 3-C on my first playthrough because if I had missed this I probably would have never played again:

https://twitter.com/pox_please/status/993253364975595520
It looks like they've changed it since then: when I did it recently there was only one forced Oshiro bounce (to get to the coin), and it still took me forever to figure out the timing for it (and I convinced myself that the easiest cycle to make in the first part involved a wall bounce, and I'm still awful at wall bounces).

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I finally got this game a few weeks ago. I got chapter 9 and the moon berry

Then I did it again for fun. I failed to get that first checkpoint so many times, so I just kept trying from the Farewell checkpoint. I already freaking got the thing and I still kept trying!

Game owns

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tesseraction posted:

Is it fairly obvious where 9B ends and 9C begins? I've finished all the original B-Sides and am probably gonna do some full clears and then head that way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

Is it fairly obvious where 9B ends and 9C begins? I've finished all the original B-Sides and am probably gonna do some full clears and then head that way.

Very.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I got to a section with rhythmic blocks, similar to the cassette rooms in the A-Sides but with four colors. Is that the start of "9C"?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Poque posted:

Absolutely. Cut-scenes (of which there are a few prior) make it almost blatantly obvious.

If you're a cool enough cucumber to not feel it's blatant: once you grab the poor bird and Badeline admonishes you is 9-B, once she says that this looks like the final stretch, it's 9-C. If you die a few times and get a cut-scene? Absolutely 9-C.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tesseraction posted:

Absolutely. Cut-scenes (of which there are a few prior) make it almost blatantly obvious.

If you're a cool enough cucumber to not feel it's blatant: once you grab the poor bird and Badeline admonishes you is 9-B, once she says that this looks like the final stretch, it's 9-C. If you die a few times and get a cut-scene? Absolutely 9-C.

Ah, not quite there then. Still taking a break though, my hands are in physical pain.

Worst rooms for me so far have been Fifth key with the rising trampolines, wavedash into walljump off moving block x2, and back half of the windy room.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

I got to a section with rhythmic blocks, similar to the cassette rooms in the A-Sides but with four colors. Is that the start of "9C"?

That's the end of 9B.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Honestly it's probably more reasonable to say Chapter 9 has an A, B, C, D, and E section just because of how long the thing is.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

FPzero posted:

Honestly it's probably more reasonable to say Chapter 9 has an A, B, C, D, and E section just because of how long the thing is.
The most immediately apparent way to divide it is by music: there are six tracks that play outside of cutscenes, and two of those sections are fairly short.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
As much as my piping hot opinions about Chapter 9 have cooled of late, I am still completely astonished that they chose to release the thing as a single selectable stage, instead of three (or more, but after playing it, three seems appropriate, to evoke A, B and C sides), each with a time and death count. Even if they did fairly bluntly divide everything up during the chapter itself.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Has anyone done a run where they collect all the red berries in a level while carrying the golden berry? I saw part of a 202 run the other day and it seems like the (il)logical next step.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

ItBreathes posted:

Has anyone done a run where they collect all the red berries in a level while carrying the golden berry? I saw part of a 202 run the other day and it seems like the (il)logical next step.

More than that, even: someone's picked up every red berry in Forsaken City while carrying the golden berry and collected all of them in a single batch at the end of the level. It's been done in the Core, too. Don't know about the other levels.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tau Wedel posted:

More than that, even: someone's picked up every red berry in Forsaken City while carrying the golden berry and collected all of them in a single batch at the end of the level. It's been done in the Core, too. Don't know about the other levels.

ROFL, that Forsaken City video is hysterical. It honestly might have even been better if they intentionally died at the end as a troll vid.

Finished 9B, it was indeed as obvious as y'all said! Something like 2200 deaths so far in the entire chapter. Finished my full clears and am now taking on the C-Sides in order.

Chapter 9 spoiler in the tweet, can't get it below the spoiler tag.

https://twitter.com/pox_please/status/1199167389796954112

This was my favorite room despite it costing me a shitload of deaths. Most of my deaths were from accidentally going horizontal on consecutive wavedashes.

Poque fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 26, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Got through 8C. 5C was what made me give up on my last run and I ended up getting the golden on it. 7C was absurdly satisfying, frustrating, and fun.

EDIT: Finished! That last room was incredible. 2364 deaths, 8:45. Unbelievable DLC, I'm not sure I've ever felt so accomplished.

Poque fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 28, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
And another 245 deaths and the Moon Berry is mine! I actually made it back through 9C pretty quickly and to the actual Moon Berry room without much trouble, but the worst part for me was where you throw the jelly onto some trampolines while hanging onto a ledge to give it some time. That was the only part I couldn't routinely beat (aside from the rising wind part just by virtue of not having as much practice time) by the time I got it.

There are a few goldens I think I can still get but otherwise I think this file is complete. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Finished 7B and got the last regular strawberry from the core. I’ve still got 8B, C sides, and the last 2/3 of ch 9 to go.

This game is awesome, probably my second most played platformer behind Mario Sunshine. After spending over hour on a single screen in 1A (no dash) I started wondering about how much people conflate getting better at the game with becoming more patient and how much they go hand in hand.

When I first started playing this I would get frustrated and tilted within a few minutes stuck on a screen, but now I only really get mad at myself when I’m executing poorly due to lack of focus. It’s taking longer than ever to beat some screens because they’re harder, but having learned some patience and knowing the satisfaction that will come from completing a challenge keeps it fun instead of frustrating in a way something like Dark Souls sometimes does.