Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fedule posted:

I'm gonna tell you what I wish someone had told me about Farewell (and what I wish the developers had actually facilitated);

You aren't supposed to play the whole thing in one sitting. It's literally four or five levels long (I forget the exact number of times it basically shifts to a new level but, yeah).

Thank you for this, I actually went looking for this thread last night to gripe about Farewell. I absolutely loved this game, but never went back to play after Farewell was added. This week I started a fresh playthrough, and decided to see what Farewell was all about after clearing a few B sides.

Yikes. I thought it was neat at first, then started slamming my head against the wall on numerous screens. I kept pushing on because I thought I had to be at the end, but eventually I checked a guide and saw I wasn't even 1/4 of the way through and went to bed defeated.

I was expecting it to be like the Core, a tough "next level" that had the A, B, and C side difficulty structure parallel to the others. Realizing that it's really basically a followup DLC meant to come after EVERYTHING is helpful context. As is the idea that you're not meant to do it in one sitting. I've really enjoyed getting in the zone, vibing with the music and completing each chapter as a single session, so the idea that this is something to work on and tackle over days was completely alien to me.

Having my expectations checked is definitely helping me appreciate this now; thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
was replaying this game last night, eternally grateful that they added "assist mode"

mostly because some screens require you to dash in multiple different directions in rapid sequence, and it's extremely frustrating when you try to dash "up -> right", only for that to translate to your thumbs as "up -> up-right" and die

on a related note, Chapter 2 B is still probably my favorite stage? The blocks you swim through are the funnest mechanic

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A controller with a decent dpad is a must for Celeste. I struggled with it initially using a 360 controller because the dpad was so mushy and ended up switching to an 8bitdo one

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Just popping in because I just beat the spooky hotel B side, and I'm still a little bit high from it.

The B side for Old Site took me about 90 minutes and approximately 250 deaths. Spooky hotel's B side was 4 hours, and 1200 deaths. I'm hoping that kind of jump in difficulty isnt a trend, cus I dont want to spend 12 hours and 10000 deaths on the next level.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Simiain posted:

Just popping in because I just beat the spooky hotel B side, and I'm still a little bit high from it.

The B side for Old Site took me about 90 minutes and approximately 250 deaths. Spooky hotel's B side was 4 hours, and 1200 deaths. I'm hoping that kind of jump in difficulty isnt a trend, cus I dont want to spend 12 hours and 10000 deaths on the next level.
all of the B sides are hard, but Chapter 3 is kind of uniquely painful.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
its demands are distinct from the rest of the game except the odd element here or there so if it fucks you up it really fucks you up

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hotel B was my fourth highest death total on my replay not including DLC. And it was really close - the others were longer levels too. I'm comfortable calling it a representation of the toughest difficulty of the game

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Chapter 3 A, B and C are all just weirdly difficult for their position in the game

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I feel like some people can see the way through the pattern of moving blobs in the hotel, and others just have to fling bodies into the meat grinder until they luck into the correct timing.

I am... not in the former category.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I've made it through a number of B sides, the core, and the first part of farewell using the analog stick but am finding it difficult to get much further. Should I try using the dpad instead?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I used the dpad for everything but feather sections

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Also am I dumb that I have only found like two crystal hearts in the normal levels? I don't want spoilers on where they are but have I just not looked closely enough for the others? I found one that just seems literally out of reach.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Skyarb posted:

Also am I dumb that I have only found like two crystal hearts in the normal levels? I don't want spoilers on where they are but have I just not looked closely enough for the others? I found one that just seems literally out of reach.

I'd say that you should be very proud if you found any crystal hearts completely independently, they all require you to do outside-the-box things of varying obscurity.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I managed to get a couple solo but really relied on spoilers to get em done

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you go out of your way to hunt down every strawberry you'll probably encounter at least the puzzle rooms for most of the crystal hearts. But if you're just playing to complete the levels it's pretty impressive to have picked up a couple.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

World 4's is the easiest, but is very much a 'if you know you know' kinda deal

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I dislike the 4A heart on principle because it's the only one that relies entirely on knowledge from outside the game. If you don't know and recognise that one thing, there is no way to figure out on your own what it does, even if you piece together where the path to the heart is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think they actually did change it to be more apparent what you need to do if you don't get the reference? I haven't checked though.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Ok yeah 4A is the one I found that just seemed out of reach.... Hmmmm

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It relies on you doing a secret thing from another game, which is visually referenced on the screen in question. I never played that game so was completely clueless, but here's some progressively spoilery hints if you need a nudge.

The game is Super Mario Bros 3

The visual indicator is the white block in the bottom right of the screen

The solution is to crouch on the white block until you shift into the background

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Party Boat posted:

It relies on you doing a secret thing from another game, which is visually referenced on the screen in question. I never played that game so was completely clueless, but here's some progressively spoilery hints if you need a nudge.

The game is Super Mario Bros 3

The visual indicator is the white block in the bottom right of the screen

The solution is to crouch on the white block until you shift into the background

Yeah ok I knew that other block was special but that is annoyingly non dietetic. Thanks!

Can the others be understood in game only? I found a bird code in I think the first level so I think I'm close to that one!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Skyarb posted:

Yeah ok I knew that other block was special but that is annoyingly non dietetic. Thanks!

Can the others be understood in game only? I found a bird code in I think the first level so I think I'm close to that one!

iirc, yeah, every other one is fully diegetic, as it were

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Every other crystal heart can be solved with information avaiable in Celeste, although in one of the cases the information is actually in a different level (specifically the puzzle in level 6 requires you to have solved level 1).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BabyRyoga posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: SNES ROM HACK ALERT :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfi1rms6oU

Celeste.SMC, an Super Mario World hack modeled after Celeste. If you like Celeste or Super Mario World (or better yet, both!) this one is right up your alley.

Load up your favorite emulator, hacked SNES classic, or flashcart, and download the patch at https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=29613

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that looks sick

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That's incredibly impressive, holy crap

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i really wish maddy would just publish her own smw romhack for the public lol

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That looks both amazing and also extremely painful. At first I was wondering why they would bother making a celeste mod considering that Celeste already exists, but then I saw they wanted to add the elements from regular Super Mario World into the mix to make things even more complicated. Anyone who finishes that without tool assistance deserves to have thier hands preserved for all of time.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I'm surprised there wasn't a Celeste SMW hack already. It's a fun idea that has obvious appeal. Good on them for taking on what was probably a challenging project and delivering what looks like a cool end result. Very interested to hear how they did the music.

There is a truly incredible amount of skill and creativity on display in the Mario romhack scene if any precision platforming diehards have never looked into it. Things have evolved way beyond the original Kaizo hacks in terms of imaginative ideas, technical achievements and range of skill levels catered to. I usually experience it vicariously through someone like barbarousking on YouTube but it's a very impressive and surprisingly little world with years of real good poo poo to catch up on.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Violen posted:

i really wish maddy would just publish her own smw romhack for the public lol

You really don't want to play super Sonic saves the world world

It is absolutely for like maybe 200 people tops everyone else it is far too brutal for

That is, if the rumors about that hack's creator are true 🤐

Celeste.smc started as just a level made for a GDQ kaizo relay and it's been highly anticipated ever since

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 25, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Came back to Celeste since I love to replay it every now and again. Since I recently got a PS5 my PC controller is now a PS5 DualSense... and frankly the d-pad on this is horrific for Celeste. Keeps diagonal dashing or otherwise being too slow moving back to neutral when I take my thumb off a button. Fine during the main campaign but now suddenly the B-sides are definitely my controller and not my lovely reflexes.

What's the optimal controller for Celeste on PC, in your opinion?

cousinoer5
Apr 15, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Came back to Celeste since I love to replay it every now and again. Since I recently got a PS5 my PC controller is now a PS5 DualSense... and frankly the d-pad on this is horrific for Celeste. Keeps diagonal dashing or otherwise being too slow moving back to neutral when I take my thumb off a button. Fine during the main campaign but now suddenly the B-sides are definitely my controller and not my lovely reflexes.

What's the optimal controller for Celeste on PC, in your opinion?

I swear by the latest Xbox controller (Series S? whatever it's called), the dpad is satisfyingly clicky which helped me reduce my misdashes by a ton. I did most of my journey through some insane Celeste mods and base game deathless challenges with it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I started playing with the keyboard and I like that better than any controller I've tried.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I used the analogue stick...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fedule posted:

I used the analogue stick...

i've hated pretty much every dpad i've tried for anything in the last 10 years. xbox? garbage. dualshock? garbage. 8bitdo? double-plus garbage, which was extremely disappointing. switch pro? ... kind of ok actually but only kind of

so yeah, :same:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
PS4 controller is my go-to, when I play on switch I use one of the sn30 pro controllers by 8bit do. A bit firm of a press but doesn’t bleed inputs. Keep meaning to buy an Xbox controller next time one dies but my PS4 controller is doing good at being stubborn.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks for the replies so far - cousinoer5's clicky d-pad sounds like it could be perfect. Addressing ultrafilter I agree in that I want something where one button/key is the entire input, but that ties into Fedule's response that I want an analogue stick for the feathers.

Basically the DualS/PlayStation controllers have fantastic analogue sticks but the d-pad is just an analogue stick with hard plastic between the cardinal directions, and it sucks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Two replies when I was writing my last reply!

Ciaphas posted:

i've hated pretty much every dpad i've tried for anything in the last 10 years. xbox? garbage. dualshock? garbage. 8bitdo? double-plus garbage, which was extremely disappointing. switch pro? ... kind of ok actually but only kind of

so yeah, :same:

I have been wondering about the Switch Pro - does the d-pad function as 4 buttons or just the same button on a pivot?

onesixtwo posted:

PS4 controller is my go-to, when I play on switch I use one of the sn30 pro controllers by 8bit do. A bit firm of a press but doesn’t bleed inputs. Keep meaning to buy an Xbox controller next time one dies but my PS4 controller is doing good at being stubborn.

This had been my go-to before but the controller has been suffering from use and the USB port for it in particular being unreliable. I am really sad that my PS5's DualSense doesn't have the same reliability.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Tesseraction posted:

I have been wondering about the Switch Pro - does the d-pad function as 4 buttons or just the same button on a pivot?

It's on a pivot but it's a good pivot. IME you have to really work at it to accidentally hit a diagonal, but it's very much not just 4 buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fedule posted:

It's on a pivot but it's a good pivot. IME you have to really work at it to accidentally hit a diagonal, but it's very much not just 4 buttons.

That's fine - I recall the PS4 controller was likewise but the DS5 is frustratingly slow to return to neutral. I'll see if anyone else had a better suggestion but looks like that's the solution to my controller problem.