Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I got so aggravated by dashing the wrong way in this game on several controllers that I hooked up an arcade stick with microswitched directional input and all my problems went away, it's definitely a somewhat unusual route I would recommend if you play a lot of precision platformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
I played the game first on a PC, and got through Summit A on an analog stick.

Now I'm replaying on a Xbox Series X and I LOVE the Dpad on that controller. I have beaten all B sides but haven't touched Farewell.

If or when I start seriously working on speed running I would probably switch to keyboard and mouse.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I used the analogue stick...

Same here

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I used the analog stick on the pro controller too. Actually, I really dislike the pro controller’s d-pad. Something about it just repels me. I think the joycon d-pad is superior for precise games, so it would probably be better for Celeste, but it is not as comfortable as a good analog stick.

The analog stick is better for feathers too.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Some pro controllers are good, others are not made as good and the Dpad is absolutely the worst. I have the latter unfortunately, and opened up the controller to fix it / apply some tape to help prevent the bleed. Still bad, but others have luck so a pro-controller isn't as sure a bet unless you get a really recently made one probably.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I played celeste with an original SNES controller, which has a very good dpad

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

onesixtwo posted:

PS4 controller is my go-to, when I play on switch I use one of the sn30 pro controllers by 8bit do. A bit firm of a press but doesn’t bleed inputs. Keep meaning to buy an Xbox controller next time one dies but my PS4 controller is doing good at being stubborn.
As someone who's on 8bitdo #6 or something, their quality control leaves a lot to be desired; some of their D-pads have really bad phantom diagonals and some of them are fine.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, for the crystal heart in 4A they added a bunch of crouching statues next to the white block, and now if you crouch briefly while on top of the block Madeline’s hair dips down below it so you’ve got some visual feedback that you’re doing the right thing. I think it’s reasonable for non-SMB3 experts now.

I just beat Farewell a couple of days ago and discovered the modding scene, and holy poo poo the 2020 spring collab is excellent. 20+ levels in and not a dud yet, and at least up through intermediate the difficulty is nowhere near as rough as Farewell even for the berries.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks for the Xbox controller recommendation, feels a little weird when I'm used to the DualSense but I could jump accurately and recomplete 7B.

pumpinglemma posted:

I just beat Farewell a couple of days ago and discovered the modding scene, and holy poo poo the 2020 spring collab is excellent. 20+ levels in and not a dud yet, and at least up through intermediate the difficulty is nowhere near as rough as Farewell even for the berries.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I didn't play it back at the time but wanted to check it out.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Heh Heh Heh!
https://twitter.com/noelfb/status/1559746810930794496?s=21&t=XnEDRr5EN18ipWr1YX2D5g

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Who's ready for more Celeste in the form of a pretty extensive fan mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6eyt8iQ9sQ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Who's ready for more Celeste in the form of a pretty extensive fan mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6eyt8iQ9sQ

Oh hell yes!

...although I'm still stuck on the third tier of the Summer Collab. That loving mirror zone one is beyond me.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

I have finished the 'Beginner Lobby' in the Strawberry Jam Collab. This is well done and enjoyable. I especially love the QoL of the 'gyms,' teaching tech expected to be used in the level. It's very well done!

The two "easiest" levels that I've done in intermediate so far are already starting to push up against limits of my ability. Will I even be able to make it to advanced? I was hoping I'd at least be able to tackle expert... but I'm wondering if my aging brain can't handle the creativity of the Celeste community :ohdear:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I haven't had the time to dedicate to it myself yet but I have been watching a lot of high level players and I'll say that most of the really cool stuff I've seen is in the first two lobbies anyway.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

I watched a mario streamer (CarlSagan42) play a bit of the beginner lobby, and decided that I had to experience it myself, against my better judgement.
I will press on until my thumbs bleed.

It's reassuring that the cool stuff is front-loaded, though!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've downloaded the spring collab and the Jam. I've not actually finished farewell but i'm hoping that won't be too big of an impediment. Having said that this bunny hopping tutorial isn't boding well

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I suck at bunny hopping and completed the Spring Collab Beginner and Intermediate lobbies without it no problem.

Finally cleared a hurdle in the Advanced Lobby in Doppelganger - I hadn't been taught about fastbubbling so I was struggling on the first long room, now I'm struggling on the final room but that's just my usual sucking at games, I'll get it eventually.

Then it's suffering through nyoom and I'll have all the advanced hearts.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://materia.store/products/celeste-complete-sound-collection-lena-raine-6xlp-vinyl-record-boxset

drat, this is cool as hell

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Still not shipping to the UK :smith:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, my partner wanted to order for my birthday but they can't ship here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looking neverously back and forth between the screen and my walle--

mfcrocker posted:

...never mind. drat it.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

brain dammej posted:

I have finished the 'Beginner Lobby' in the Strawberry Jam Collab. This is well done and enjoyable. I especially love the QoL of the 'gyms,' teaching tech expected to be used in the level. It's very well done!

The two "easiest" levels that I've done in intermediate so far are already starting to push up against limits of my ability. Will I even be able to make it to advanced? I was hoping I'd at least be able to tackle expert... but I'm wondering if my aging brain can't handle the creativity of the Celeste community :ohdear:

Expert is extremely hard! Only a few rooms in Farewell can be classified as advanced, so…

On the other hand, I struggled with intermediate as well (in strawberry jam), but now I’ve cleared the advanced lobby and done a few expert maps! It’s all about practice - you probably haven’t hit your limit yet :)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought more would be said about the Secret Santa Collab 2023 https://gamebanana.com/mods/452173

I'm still playing around in the "Easy" lobby but mostly my complaint is that some of these maps it's very unclear where on earth I'm meant to be going.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mfcrocker posted:

https://fangamer.eu/products/celeste-complete-vinyl-soundtrack-box-set

Forgot to mention this isn't true any more :dance: It's out of stock right now, but my copy is here and it rules. Well worth going on the waitlist

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

https://fangamer.eu/products/celeste-complete-vinyl-soundtrack-box-set

Forgot to mention this isn't true any more :dance: It's out of stock right now, but my copy is here and it rules. Well worth going on the waitlist

I was also on the waitlist and it only alerted me on Wednesday. Today I am nuzzling up to my beautiful collection!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I cannot believe that Farewell is over four years old

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Such an incredible free-DLC to just drop out of nowhere and be so loving great.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
maybe Lena Raine's best work too. Unbelievable. Time for a replay...?!?!?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Just got the golden strawberry on the Celestial Resort C-Side for the first time and I am JACKED.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Poque posted:

Just got the golden strawberry on the Celestial Resort C-Side for the first time and I am JACKED.

Hell yeah nice work!

I need to get back to Celeste some time, I still never got around to beating Farewell

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Beating Farewell really is an emotional triumph, I definitely felt the most catharsis I've had at a difficult part of a game. Dark Souls had nothing on it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
and now a golden strawberry on 8C and I feel loving unstoppable (except when I think about trying for one on 4C or 7C or Farewell or any B-Side or even several A-Sides)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I had a golden strawberry phase that ended real loving quick when I died in the golden feather segment of 8A and my soul shattered into a million pieces

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Feathers are rude and by far the worst mechanic in the game

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're not as bad once you realise you have analogue control while using them

the game should probably tell you that considering you're probably using the dpad exclusively up to that point

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

repiv posted:

they're not as bad once you realise you have analogue control while using them

the game should probably tell you that considering you're probably using the dpad exclusively up to that point

That's exactly why they suck! Or maybe it's that I suck, cuz I can't regularly switch between the D-Pad and the stick, haha.

I got to a room with a Kevin AND feathers and noped outta there for now. Give these sweaty hands a break.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Can anyone tell me in a spoiler free manner if there is anything breakable in the chapter one room that has a visible strawberry on the left and a shaft with spikes going up the left side on the right side of the room? I with great difficulty one side wall jumped up it and to my disappointment found no breakable looking areas, but maybe I just need to look harder?

The room is to the left of one that has a vertically traveling traffic light launcher just to the right of the one way entrance decking that you enter from the room below. The door to the room I am dealing with the vertical shaft in is glowing

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 8, 2024

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Do you mean this room?

I don't believe you're missing anything here - I'm not sure what's up with the vertical shaft.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
That’s it, thanks! The glowing door made it feel important but I guess they just didn’t want you to miss the strawberry. I wasn’t looking forward trying to dash every section of the wall and ceiling, especially since I had only made it to the top of that shaft once. Single wall jumping is hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah I think with it being the first "secret" screen they wanted to highlight it a bit and say "hey, keep your eyes peeled". Is this your first time playing the game?