Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
262 attempts on 2B, but it feels real good to know those tricks. Onto 3!

Do all of the levels have a B side? I didn't seem to find one for the first level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Man 1B seems way harder than 2B to me. I think I should probably finish the normal version of levels before doing all of the B sides now.. I really enjoyed the unique movement schemes 2B required / taught, 1B is just busting me with a seemingly simple puzzle I just can’t seem to find the right timing of. Game is still amazing.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

This PICO-8 thing is uhh.. annoying. Probably just me being bad, but I dislike it.

Welp going to take a break, I really wish I didn't just embark on a 30min+ minigame, and yes I know it's still my fault for being bad, but mad at games time now.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 2, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

SeXReX posted:

30???

it's just barely over 2 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqB2olXNwt4

I am really excited to see people running this game, and how badly a full TAS run breaks it apart.

The video showed me that I was actually stuck on the last room, the second dash through that gap was my approach also, and I am glad to see it was the right choice.

I finished it. Thank you. 11 berries, 35:50, and 204 deaths. Probably time for a real break now! e: thread title v relevant.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 2, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

grand theft grotto posted:

No, no, no. I meant the analog. So I guess I'm officially a crazy person by your reckoning.

I like the Pro Controller’s analog and Joycon, too. I think the Pro Controller is easier for me, but playing portable Celeste doesn’t put a control handicap on at all.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

It’s kind of amusing that a day after I gave up on that room, the thread is discussing it. I knew it was out of place, but apparently didn’t crouch down long enough. I even recognized it being a SMB3 reference, but I was so hyper focused on the bird sounds that it creates by running left / right on it, and trying to find a pattern related to the sound like the other room in World 3A.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Just reached the Summit, game is amazing. So excited to be nowhere near complete.

124/175 Strawberries, 2263 Deaths for the credits. I figured I had a good chunk of berries!

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 11, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

ShadeofBlue posted:

(still need to find the tape in 1A),

Explore Up when it shows you a sign, it's very literal.

Not really an explicit spoiler, but this took me a LONG time to find, and it involved me laughing at how many times I just ran past that room.

E: vvvv Oh, Whoops! Yeah I missed both of those my first manny times through the level.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 14, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

precision posted:

i seem to have this problem where i overlook the easy way to clear a screen and spend 10 or 20 minutes doing it in a very specific and hard way that is totally unnecessary

gotta go fast carry on

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Add me to the list of 3B is the worst thing so far. The red blob timing is just so specific / quick and doesn't feel fun to die to repeatedly.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Few screens further into 3B, hate it even more!!

e: it's done! apparently i was being a big baby, and 379 is my death total. Amusingly enough, my 3A death count is 388...

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 17, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

That is pretty drat cool and good.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’m both bad and familiar with what white block means, with that said I didn’t hold down long enough my first time seeing it and had to be spoilered.

That’s a good change for bads like me.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tayter Swift posted:

Is there some sort of meaning as to why there are no strawberries in Reflection?

Sure, probably, but I have no idea. Haven’t given this any thought until you posed the question, but the whole theme of this game really stood out to me and I believe it to be a very important message for people to experience.

The process of working out your problems should take precedence over silly collectibles, or social status, or the things that we tell ourselves matter more. The distractions that allow us to ignore the problem. The extra little challenges and poo poo that we make ourselves do only focus us away from the true purpose of climbing the mountain, and becoming whole with yourself. In the end, Madeline didn’t need to collect the Strawberries on Reflection because she was trying to pick up the pieces of herself, and collect those to move forward. Perhaps she wasn’t capable of seeing the strawberries because she was missing a part of herself, so the importance of the little side things just faded away. You cannot move forward in pieces, especially when faced with a problem.

Maybe?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Keiya posted:

I don't see how the PAUSE function PAUSEing things is ignoring how time works. And cutscenes are supposed to be chance to take a breather and grab a drink. The change to the death and screen transition rules are fine, but those two are dumb.

Edit: In essence, I want it to count how long I played the level, not how long it was from going into the level to going out of it. =

It sounds like you are more in favor of just streaming a play through and not busting your rear end at repeating the same route for hours until you get it to be flawless, and continue that through the entire game until you can do it all together in a single run to race for a world record. Understandable, I doubt I could ever do a speedrun of this game, either!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Oh dang. More Celeste coming.. I may as well grab a copy on steam and replay through it now.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

SeXReX posted:

The piano arrange album dropped today in case you wanted a new way to cry listening to the music from this game.
https://trevorgomes.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-piano-collections

These are really good and worth the :10bux: but I'm a sucker for marbled vinyl, so I'm in for that too now.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 25, 2019

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Oh dang this is out! It's also on sale for steam so I own a second copy now. Haven't played it on Switch in forever so I figure I'm out of practice enjoy to justify a full play-through again.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

What keyboard setup do you recommend? The default keybinds felt so foreign to me after initially playing on Switch, I just started using a ds4.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

The game totally supports this, too. Madeline has her own recollections and learns to accept herself, faults included. That theme of resilience and bettering yourself while not ignoring the bad things is pretty true to life for a lot of people.

It helped me on tough screens where I was making sloppy mistakes or getting agitated. See thread title in other words, yeah.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

My extremely slow and way too spaced out playthrough finally made it through 8b! Started up the C sides before I do reunion.

Now I'm back to hating yet another hotel chapter.. that final jump is taking me way too long to time out. I'm really enjoying the length and difficulty of the C sides though, quick and mean but once you get the tricks down the rooms just zoom by and are fun.

e: okay i take back everything I’ve said about hotel. 5C is absolutely my nightmare. 226 deaths and I’m not past the first room yet, 3C was only 216 deaths in total, so I’m gonna save that one for later.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 14, 2020

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Finally got around to playing this over the last week or so, beat Summit, beat the B-sides for stage 1 and 2, beat Core, and then started on Farewell. I knew it was update and probably very hard, but I also assumed it was maybe going to be like Core, where the real hard stuff was in a B-Side or something.

After a night of grinding it out, I decided to look up how far I was - oh, like 2 screens from the heart....why is the video another 20 minutes?

Absolutely fantastic game though. So many fantastic touches - love the Summit stage cycling through the various levels, each adding a layer to the music. Debating trying more b-sides, but stage 3 was easily my least favorite of the A-Sides. (Though I realize I can just skip it.)

This game has been something I'll pickup every few months and play for a week solid. Progress and muscle memory definitely take time to build up, it's a lot to learn!

Also stage 3 is my least favorite in every single difficulty pass.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

PS4 controller is my go-to, when I play on switch I use one of the sn30 pro controllers by 8bit do. A bit firm of a press but doesn’t bleed inputs. Keep meaning to buy an Xbox controller next time one dies but my PS4 controller is doing good at being stubborn.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Some pro controllers are good, others are not made as good and the Dpad is absolutely the worst. I have the latter unfortunately, and opened up the controller to fix it / apply some tape to help prevent the bleed. Still bad, but others have luck so a pro-controller isn't as sure a bet unless you get a really recently made one probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

CrazySalamander posted:

Celeste report: I got all the key gems during ascension but then immediately beelined to the summit instead of the heart unlock area. :doh:

You should be able to repay it at that last section. From memory so long as you got the gem, it counts.