Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think people who are abstaining from making president calls are scummy. It's a lot easier for the town to pick a townie than the other way around.

What? This is absolutely nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Its a cumulative thing, the longer I last, the more people I can cop.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

50 pounds of bread posted:

Its a cumulative thing, the longer I last, the more people I can cop.

I made something similar to this role in another game, and called it a super cop, so I buy this as a role.

It's a balancing act of when you reveal your information.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Wow 50 that is a hell of an ability

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Asiina posted:

What? This is absolutely nonsense.

How so? There are way more town players than scum players, good play is easier to identify than deceptive play.

Also the nomination process gives us opportunities to talk about the merits of individual players and abstaining from that discussion is scummy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Did we agree we can move our nomination votes?

If so ##nominate 50 pounds

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Wow 50 that is a hell of an ability

Its good, but it has risks, I figured the president thing can mitigate the risks of holding on as long as I can.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Also has the negative side effect of revealing power roles.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Also has the negative side effect of revealing power roles.

Does the list get released for you? What would prevent you from just saying X is town and not that X is the doctor too?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I know we're focusing on the role stuff atm and that's cool, but real talk let's not let this absolutely insane post go by unchallenged.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think people who are abstaining from making president calls are scummy. It's a lot easier for the town to pick a townie than the other way around.

It's easier for town to pick out town than the other way around? Than scum to pick out scum? Than scum to pick out town? Than town to pick out scum?

The first two are 100% not true because scum know who is town and who is scum. The third is easier on later days but not on D2 after a nolynch D1. It's safer now with this claim and some night action/role information to go on, but when Chic and others voted to nominate nobody that information wasn't revealed yet and so all things being equal, what kind of insane confidence do you have that you are willing to make someone who isn't you deathproof for some unknown period of time because you're that sure that they are town?

Why is not having that confidence scummy?

This is an awful vote and terrible reasoning from someone who just a few posts earlier didn't even seem to know if the nominations were real or not.

Would vote TNL for this.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Asiina posted:

I know we're focusing on the role stuff atm and that's cool, but real talk let's not let this absolutely insane post go by unchallenged.

It's easier for town to pick out town than the other way around? Than scum to pick out scum? Than scum to pick out town? Than town to pick out scum?

The first two are 100% not true because scum know who is town and who is scum. The third is easier on later days but not on D2 after a nolynch D1. It's safer now with this claim and some night action/role information to go on, but when Chic and others voted to nominate nobody that information wasn't revealed yet and so all things being equal, what kind of insane confidence do you have that you are willing to make someone who isn't you deathproof for some unknown period of time because you're that sure that they are town?

Why is not having that confidence scummy?

This is an awful vote and terrible reasoning from someone who just a few posts earlier didn't even seem to know if the nominations were real or not.

Would vote TNL for this.

It's easier for town to pick town than scum.

You are making arguments that could easily be applied to no lynching. Why make any choice at all without perfect certainty?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The Ninth Layer posted:

You are making arguments that could easily be applied to no lynching. Why make any choice at all without perfect certainty?

“The other way around” can be (I did, and assume Asiina did) read as “for scum to pick scum”

Which...no.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its a fake god damned ability !!! he just wants to be invulnerable so he can bully me

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GeneX posted:

“The other way around” can be (I did, and assume Asiina did) read as “for scum to pick scum”

Which...no.

I'm phone posting, apologies for being unclear.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GeneX posted:

Which...no.

even a pedant like me will often assume, when I see a point that makes literally no sense, that the writer probably didn't actually intend that reading.

(he's still wrong about it being scummy to have wanted to wait, though.)

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Does the list get released for you? What would prevent you from just saying X is town and not that X is the doctor too?

No it just modkills me and releases all the info to the thread. I don't get to see any of it until then.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm phone posting, apologies for being unclear.

It’s all good, phoneposting is a pain

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

So wait, I'm scum bc i don't want to risk giving scum a possible big leg up with deathproof/lunchproof and undefined extra powers?

?????

Like yeah statistically there's more town than scum but there's still gonna be a fair portion of scum

Also semi-relatedly: 50's claim sounds real to me

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

even a pedant like me will often assume, when I see a point that makes literally no sense, that the writer probably didn't actually intend that reading.

(he's still wrong about it being scummy to have wanted to wait, though.)

I addressed several possible interpretations in my post, and none of them are good reasons to vote for someone, including the one he apparently actually meant.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

There's a difference between lynching someone who might be town and giving someone deathproof for some unknown number of days and who knows what other powers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being hesitant to give that to someone almost entirely randomly.

Like you're not making the argument that we should nominate someone, you're saying that people who are hesitating to nominate someone are scum, and that makes no sense.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Also I forget who it was but someone said that the nightkills made no sense - looks like scum just killed whoever was on the bottom of the postcount rankings

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Asiina posted:

There's a difference between lynching someone who might be town and giving someone deathproof for some unknown number of days and who knows what other powers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being hesitant to give that to someone almost entirely randomly.

Like you're not making the argument that we should nominate someone, you're saying that people who are hesitating to nominate someone are scum, and that makes no sense.

We're coming off a day 1 no lynch and are into a day 2 where the majority of players are not voting anyone. How cautious are we really going to play this game?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

No it just modkills me and releases all the info to the thread. I don't get to see any of it until then.

I guess afterwards will depend on how much information you have about how long you're deathproof and when you want to risk seeing if the modkill will go through the deathproof. You can ask peramene, but honestly I doubt she'll tell you.

If you're not sure when the deathproof wears off, it might be worth it to announce your results right away and roll the dice, but if you know then waiting an extra night or so might be useful. I wouldn't go longer than one night though in case the people you investigate start dying.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

We're coming off a day 1 no lynch and are into a day 2 where the majority of players are not voting anyone. How cautious are we really going to play this game?

None of that explains why someone being cautious is scummy.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Im probably going to use it the moment deathproof wears off.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I kinda hoped for more people explaining why they want etc person to be the president but ok

I think asiina is good because they are posting a lot more than usual

Lets go, whose turn is next?

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
As an average human girl, this sounds like a sound plan.

##nominate 50 pounds of bread

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Kill me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hm, claiming this seems like a suboptimal move

in a game this big, 50 probably could've safely gone a few days without being in danger and just done his thing quietly, then explained it all for us just before he released his results.

Now, unless the presidency also grants him some nice power to be immune to roleblocks, he's prolly not gonna be at his most productive.

Also the presidency is supposed to give you extra responsibility, which is the cutesy rename for power roles. Unless it also grants you the ability to act twice in one night so you can fulfill all your responsibilities, 50 might find himself torn between not using his cop, or wasting whatever other powers he got in his new office.

Granted, it might be worth it anyway just to get the deathproof/lunchproof part. But this wasn't as obvious of a slam dunk move as it looks at first glance. I guess now that the cat's out of the bag though, we prolly should nominate him just so he at least gets a shot at it.

Suboptimal play does not mean scummy, so don't take this the wrong way, it's not an accusation or anything, I'm just saying this to be an rear end in a top hat to 50.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

hm, claiming this seems like a suboptimal move

in a game this big, 50 probably could've safely gone a few days without being in danger and just done his thing quietly, then explained it all for us just before he released his results.

Now, unless the presidency also grants him some nice power to be immune to roleblocks, he's prolly not gonna be at his most productive.

Also the presidency is supposed to give you extra responsibility, which is the cutesy rename for power roles. Unless it also grants you the ability to act twice in one night so you can fulfill all your responsibilities, 50 might find himself torn between not using his cop, or wasting whatever other powers he got in his new office.

Granted, it might be worth it anyway just to get the deathproof/lunchproof part. But this wasn't as obvious of a slam dunk move as it looks at first glance. I guess now that the cat's out of the bag though, we prolly should nominate him just so he at least gets a shot at it.

Suboptimal play does not mean scummy, so don't take this the wrong way, it's not an accusation or anything, I'm just saying this to be an rear end in a top hat to 50.

kek

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Yes, Chic! It's unironic lol

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Maybe you're right Bif.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ugh

##vote AA

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

ugh

##vote AA

hahah

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

ugh

##vote AA

Don't be a hater all your life, Bif!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

50 I formally renounce all further criticism of you this game, unless it is a clear and direct criticism of your alignment for not appearing to be townie enough.

I feel a new sense of perspective coming on

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

50 I formally renounce all further criticism of you this game, unless it is a clear and direct criticism of your alignment for not appearing to be townie enough.

I feel a new sense of perspective coming on

Cool, we can be friends now. I don't think you're an rear end in a top hat, not assholes can be assholes sometimes and that's okay.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I'm trying.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

##nominate 50 pounds of bread sorry gulag, this vote is actually so we can win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014