Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Larry Nassar has been sentenced to 170 years in prison for sexually assaulting more than 150 - mostly underage females - athletes while working for Michigan State University and United States Gymnastics.

Originally, it was believed that Nassar had assaulted around 140 victims, but when judge Rosemarie Aquilina set aside time before sentencing for Victim Statements, more than three dozen new victims came forward.

Nassar assaulted boys.
Nassar assaulted girls.
Nassar assaulted multiple siblings in the same family.
Nassar penetrated girls under the guise of offering new treatments.
Nassar stuck needles in the gentials of at least one boy.
Nassar assaulted victims with others present.
Nassar believes all of his victims are out to get him.

While the actual investigation into Nassar, as well as his plea and his sentencing, are over - here's the Indianapolis Star investigation that started it all, there is still much more to uncover.

When all is said and done, this case will be orders of magnitude worse than the Penn State football scandal that unfurled around five years ago. Why?

At least 14 Michigan State administrators and staff were warned about Nassar's behavior and did nothing.

It was believed that MSU was first made aware of Nassar's behavior in 1997. It turned out that it was first made aware in 1992, a full 25 years ago.

Multiple staff members of United States Gymnastics, including coaches, board members, administrators, and the famous husband-and-wife team of Bela and Marta Karolyi were aware of what was going on.

Not only that, but this ordeal has uncovered more abuses within United States gymnastics, such as:

The Karolyis forcing teenage girls to train through injuries

The Karolyis attempting to micro-mange the details of the everyday lives of their gymnasts, including ridiculing them for being "fat" so that they would eat as little as possible and train as much as possible.

At least one US National Team coach accused of ending a gymnast's career by picking her up and slamming her into a piece of equipment.

Treatment of national team members has led to multiple instances of mental illness, suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts, and declarations from former gold medal winters that they do not want their children to spend one second in a gymnastics academy.

Three US Gymnastics board members have resigned, as have the AD and President of Michigan State, but not before trustees came to their defense because of their fundraising abilities.

The USOC has demanded that all remaining members of the US Gymnastics Board step down, or the entire organization will be decertified.

US Gymnastics cut ties with the Karoyis, but only after days of witness statements and public pressure.

Furthermore, the federal government is now investigating Michigan State, as is the NCAA, and there are likely many more details to come out in the upcoming months. Just this afternoon, ESPN has put up a report detailing that for many years Michigan State university has acted to suppress reports of sexual violence and illegal activity among anyone associated with its sports teams.

In the end, what happens to US Gymnastics and Michigan State? There are probably many different ways both institutions could be punished, and it may very well be that any punishments will be unprecedented.

Again, even though we know Larry Nassar will die in prison, this story is far from over. There is plenty to talk about, and to be honest I think this should be a place where we can discuss the warped treatment of young athletes around the world. Mistreatment of female gymnasts is far from just a US phenomenon. Though not as horrific, for years Chinese girls have selected for gymnastics national team pool have often been forced to train at more-than-full-time levels while being forced by the state to live away from their parents, and those who fail often end up without life skills - homeless in some cases. The Karolyis training methods were the norm in Eastern Europe. Girls around the world are often forced to train to the point where it actually stunts their physical growth.

Aside from that, not much is reported about mistreatment in youth sports academies even though it is a rapidly increasing problem. Here in the United States, recent years have seen a rise in "prep schools" that take in foreign students under the guise of helping them to receive D1 college scholarships, only for the students to be forced to live in cramped, unsafe conditions on forged papers while receiving almost nothing in the way of an education. Traveling sports are covering younger and younger age groups, to the point where parents are encouraged to have seven-or-eight-year-old kids specialize in one sport in order to try out for a traveling youth sports team. Scam football academies in Africa, and sometimes in Europe, "offer" children the chance to impress a big European team, only for many to end up destitute and helpless.

I think we can discuss both the Nassar case and general mistreatment of children in athletics here, because in the upcoming weeks I have no doubt that we'll see quite a few new horror stories uncovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Full disclaimer: I will be keeping a very close eye on this thread.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Also, these gems were in MSU President Simon's resignation letter:

quote:

"The last year and a half has been very difficult for the victims of Larry Nassar, for the university community, and for me personally."

As tragedies are politicized, blame is inevitable. As president, it is only natural that I am the focus of this anger. I understand, and that is why I have limited my personal statements.
"I did nothing wrong, but if you all want to blame me then fine I quit. Also I am a victim here too."

She's also getting a number of lifetime perks and hundreds of thousands of dollars for resigning in the midst of this.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
One other thing, as this unfolds.

Outside The Lines is eviscerating Michigan State this week, including Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio. Michigan State covered up a lot of assaults outside of Nassar.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

Someone earlier described it as Penn State and Baylor combined.

The actual E60 documentary is coming on Sunday morning, 9 am. Just the preview article was damning enough to get MSU AD Mark Hollis to resign.

----

Also, Michigan State men's basketball is hosting Wisconsin tonight.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The sixteen remaining USA Gymnastics board members have just resigned, coming after the USOC's request of resignation or decertification of USA Gymnastics.

AsInHowe posted:

One other thing, as this unfolds.

Outside The Lines is eviscerating Michigan State this week, including Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio. Michigan State covered up a lot of assaults outside of Nassar.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

Someone earlier described it as Penn State and Baylor combined.

The actual E60 documentary is coming on Sunday morning, 9 am. Just the preview article was damning enough to get MSU AD Mark Hollis to resign.

----

Also, Michigan State men's basketball is hosting Wisconsin tonight.
This was in the Journalism thread, and take it with a HUGE grain of salt since it's Barstool sports, but there's rumors that both Mark D'Antonio and Tom Izzo are next out the door.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So is this the official SAS thread for the topic? One was created in D&D and I've been posting there too and because it also covers football and basketball at MSU it's been leaking into those threads.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, these gems were in MSU President Simon's resignation letter:

"I did nothing wrong, but if you all want to blame me then fine I quit. Also I am a victim here too."

She's also getting a number of lifetime perks and hundreds of thousands of dollars for resigning in the midst of this.

Her golden parachute is loving disgusting. If she wants to stay on as a faculty member (she probably will and I hope she gets blocked from this) she will get 750k her first year and after that her salary is already more than literally every other faculty member, double that of anyone else with a degree in her field. And then yeah there's all the benefits like lifetime tickets to major athletic events, bowl games, parking, etc.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
SC6 is airing the OTL report on Michigan State.

It's way, way worse with this. It's not getting better.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Michigan State football players had a competition system for their gangrapes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When outside the lines says they have new info, you always expect worse.

This is horrifying.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Whenever I can watch the OTL segment online someone please post the link. I don't wanna watch this but I'd be a loving hypocrite if I don't read/watch/listen to as many of these reports as possible.
e: I've read the article

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GobiasIndustries posted:

Whenever I can watch the OTL segment online someone please post the link. I don't wanna watch this but I'd be a loving hypocrite if I don't read/watch/listen to as many of these reports as possible.
e: I've read the article

The full OTL segment will be Sunday morning. They ran about half of it on Sports Center at 6 p.m., and then had a panel discussion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
It really is loving horrifying. In all of this, it's absolutely sickening that no one, at any point, said "poo poo, how do we support the victims?"

All of this could have been avoided had they taken appropriate action a long time ago, but instead, they just chose to cover it up and cover it up and cover it up and cover it up, and the issue just grew and grew and grew until something had to give. After watching the segment that aired on Sports Center, I honestly hope these pieces of poo poo are made an example of and nailed to the loving wall.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
MSU needs to get the Death Penalty in all major sports

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AsInHowe posted:

Michigan State football players had a competition system for their gangrapes.

wait what

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Mark Emmert knew in 2010 (Athletic, but free)

https://theathletic.com/223555/2018/01/26/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-was-alerted-to-michigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I'm just going to assume that it's similar to how, in Geraldo's memoir (yes that Geraldo) he bragged about winning the first opportunity to gently caress some random girl that showed up at his house in college before the rest of his roommates, who also hosed the girl before he got back in there (yes this was really in his book). No I do not think this is OK in any way shape or form.

e: just for context
https://www.thedailybeast.com/geraldo-riveras-1991-memoir-is-a-fck-fest-filled-bible-of-workplace-harassment

quote:

Today, I would be filled with rescue fantasies for this creature: then, all I wanted to do was outperform my roommates. I announced I would be first up, leading the girl into my bedroom and silently marveling at the good fortune that had smiled on our home. Later that evening, when my turn came up again, I took some time to talk with her. Pat. I think her name was Pat. She was a little on the slim side. Something about her reminded me of the daughter who loses her baby near the end of The Grapes of Wrath.
It was demeaning, degrading, and dishonorable, and I was in the middle of it. Any man of conscience would have tried to talk some sense into this girl, but not me, not then.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 27, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

It was in the OTL report. Basically, they had codenames for different girls that were talked about and compared in team meetings.

ESPN has video of a player admitting what they did, and not thinking anything was wrong, because everyone did it.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if any and every major college athletics program had was complicit in a cover up. For god’s sake this happened in gymnastics of all sports and not a revenue generating sport

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Adun posted:

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if any and every major college athletics program had was complicit in a cover up. For god’s sake this happened in gymnastics of all sports and not a revenue generating sport

Gymnastics is like the platonic ideal for pedo predator doctors.

e: you're not wrong re: most universities having cover-ups, but the revenue generating sports are way more likely to have assaulters rather than have staff assault them.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Gymnastics is like the platonic ideal for pedo predator doctors.

e: you're not wrong re: most universities having cover-ups, but the revenue generating sports are way more likely to have assaulters rather than have staff assault them.

Gymnastics also seems to be the platonic ideal for assholes coaches.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BigEZ/status/956963428274450434

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've always sort of low key liked MSU as the sort of underdogs of the big time Michigan athletic scene, and because they have a baller small animal hospital, but fuuuuuck man

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

oh dear god.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crazy Ted posted:

Aside from that, not much is reported about mistreatment in youth sports academies even though it is a rapidly increasing problem. Here in the United States, recent years have seen a rise in "prep schools" that take in foreign students under the guise of helping them to receive D1 college scholarships, only for the students to be forced to live in cramped, unsafe conditions on forged papers while receiving almost nothing in the way of an education. Traveling sports are covering younger and younger age groups, to the point where parents are encouraged to have seven-or-eight-year-old kids specialize in one sport in order to try out for a traveling youth sports team. Scam football academies in Africa, and sometimes in Europe, "offer" children the chance to impress a big European team, only for many to end up destitute and helpless.

I think we can discuss both the Nassar case and general mistreatment of children in athletics here, because in the upcoming weeks I have no doubt that we'll see quite a few new horror stories uncovered.

You should read Passan's book if you haven't, it goes way into detail about this happening in baseball and how it's ruining the lives for parents and careers of teenagers. I'm only bringing this up because I can't process the MSU thing and need to think about something slightly less depressing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I've always sort of low key liked MSU as the sort of underdogs of the big time Michigan athletic scene, and because they have a baller small animal hospital, but fuuuuuck man

I’m sure the veterinary program has skeletons too

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Hey remember when people were claiming that the biggest problem with youth sports was participation trophies and how those would ruin kids by making them too soft and easily contented? gently caress every last one of them and the cover they give for all this poo poo.

I hope ESPN and others keep on this story even when it turns around to bite them as well, which it will once it hits traveling teams in revenue sports. There’s a deep, deep sickness here way beyond any one pervert, program, school, or sport.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Burn it all to the loving ground. That's vile.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am going to essentially say a short version of what I said in another thread: in college athletics there is no one who gets promoted or gets a bonus for busting corruption/scandal/sex abuse. Worse, pretty much every single whistle blower has had to pay a steep price for it, even when they were proven right. The system rewards ghouls who cover things up and provide plausible deniability for the big names. In the Antonio Callaway case, not only was the guy who suspended him fired (with 3 or 4 different reasons used), but they also forced his superior who wrote him a positive letter of recommendation to resign.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
This is loving me up pretty hard, as a significantly-less-proud MSU alumni.

In terms of football and basketball now as OTL is alleging, I hope the investigation finds the truth. No matter how hard it might be. I can't imagine Dantonio and Izzo would participate in a coverup. But we need to know for sure. I hope to god both those men are the men of good moral standing we believe them to be. Because if they're not they've gotta go, not just out of the school, but probably to jail. All I want is the truth, and fast.

But even that doesn't excuse the horrors that have occurred on our campus. Simon's gone. Hollis's gone. The board probably should all go. There should be nobody left in a leadership position.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The NCAA needs to go full scorched Earth on MSU. Hot take, I know, but like no out of conference play and full postseason bans for all sports for a minimum of five years.

Hell, I don't think it would be going too far to strip MSU entirely of their status as an NCAA member institution.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

The NCAA needs to go full scorched Earth on MSU. Hot take, I know, but like no out of conference play and full postseason bans for all sports for a minimum of five years.

Hell, I don't think it would be going too far to strip MSU entirely of their status as an NCAA member institution.

So who's going to go scorched earth on the NCAA? Congress?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Is Michigan State going to reform their university and fix their problems, or worry more about sports rivalry bullshit?

https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/status/957619580716945408

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Is Michigan State going to reform their university and fix their problems, or worry more about sports rivalry bullshit?

https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/status/957619580716945408

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The NCAA should give MSU football and men's basketball the death penalty. In reality, they'll throw up their hands and claim this isn't their area of oversight.

The Big Ten could maybe drop the hammer on them, but they didn't do anything to Penn St so that's a dead end.

Nothing is going to happen to the people in power that let this go on beyond what's effectively an early retirement.

gently caress everything.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
wanna go on record saying I've thought gymnastics were creepy as poo poo for years, basically since every olympics where NBC runs promo videos glowing about how great the Karolyis are for requiring 16 hour work days from preteen girls who'd been signed away by very strange parents

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

EvanTH posted:

wanna go on record saying I've thought gymnastics were creepy as poo poo for years, basically since every olympics where NBC runs promo videos glowing about how great the Karolyis are for requiring 16 hour work days from preteen girls who'd been signed away by very strange parents

Me too.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/957654542128214016
This discusses the "treatment" that Nassar was performing.

"violent fisting", to quote the article

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I'd say that it is a pretty bad take to blame this on osteopathic medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

EvanTH posted:

the E:60 special that aired this morning has clips from videos that Nassar made about treating athletes and they were deeply disturbing given the context we now have, but before all this happened he was just like a cool doctor dude who spent all his time prodding the pelvises of teenage girls