Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The tough thing is there's basically no way this doesn't force them to raise tuition and I think they announced they'd have to earlier on. If they break contracts for other plans that just gives more people a reason to sue them. Even if they've got a huge endowment, relatively little of that would be liquid assets they could use in a situation like this anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Their entire athletic department should be eradicated, at minimum.

Every trustee should be forced out, at minimum.

John Engler should be fired into the loving sun.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh for fucks sake...

https://twitter.com/freepsports/status/1084223278514884608

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I don't understand how athletic departments with hundreds of millions dollars budgets don' t have a PR guy who goes, "y'know, maybe this isn't the best idea..."
good job UM

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Gonna be super awesome to have Michigan's board of regents fire some women's gymnastics coaches upon getting in on Monday.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit News posted:

Michigan State University interim President John Engler is facing criticism from the newly-appointed board trustee chairman for saying some of pedophile Larry Nassar's victims are "enjoying the spotlight" while the university is "trying to go back to work."

In an interview Friday with The Detroit News Editorial Board, Engler said the Healing Assistance Fund may be focused on the victims who are not part of the primary $500 million settlement.

The historic settlement was reached in May, requiring MSU to pay $425 million to 332 claimants and $75 million to future claimants, of whom 172 are under consideration. The university will have to develop a framework, decide how much money to put in the fund, determine who can access the money, and then present a finished proposal to the board.

"You’ve got people, they are hanging on and this has been … there are a lot of people who are touched by this, survivors who haven’t been in the spotlight," Engler told The News Friday. "In some ways, they have been able to deal with this better than the ones who’ve been in the spotlight who are still enjoying that moment at times, you know, the awards and recognition. And it’s ending. It’s almost done."

Engler said Friday he is done with investigations into the university's handling of the Nassar sexual abuse scandal, saying officials are "trying to go back to work" despite calls from victims and others for more scrutiny to bring resolution and accountability.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Why in the gently caress is that clown still president of MSU

Why in the gently caress did Michigan make that hire when they can basically go anywhere in the world and get someone

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Every time MSU does something to make us all go "well, they couldn't have handled this any worse," it's like they take it as a challenge and try to outdo themselves in a game of one-downmanship.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's going to end with MSU changing their school motto to some sort of pro-rape screed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Keep in mind that Engler is only the interim president. Imagine anyone being so unbelievably awful as the “interim” anything! Like drat dude your job is to tidy things up for a temporary period. Can you go more than 72 hours without insulting rape victims?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vagabundo posted:

Every time MSU does something to make us all go "well, they couldn't have handled this any worse," it's like they take it as a challenge and try to outdo themselves in a game of one-downmanship.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's going to end with MSU changing their school motto to some sort of pro-rape screed.

Michigan State University
Illa quam meruit ferat

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2019/01/13/regents-university-michigan-gymnastics-coach-nassar-scandal/2566436002/

quote:

"The University of Michigan should get rid of a new gymnastics coach with ties to the Larry Nassar scandal, members of the school's governing body told the Free Press on Sunday.

"I do not support the hiring of Rhonda Faehn, and believe the university should end its relationship with her," said Regent Mark Bernstein.

Regent Denise Ilitch also expressed concerns about the hiring.

"Much to my chagrin, I learned of this employment decision this past Saturday morning. I appreciate the wise observations made by many and share their disappointment," she told the Free Press.

Fellow Regent Jordan Acker, who was elected this November to the board, agreed Faehn needed to go.

"I appreciate the input I have received from the people of Michigan and the survivor community and believe this contract should be terminated immediately."

At least U of M's regents are less horrible than MSU's even if their gymnastics programs are similarly dumb and thoughtless.

Update: Michigan fired the Nassar lady.

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 14, 2019

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2019/01/13/regents-university-michigan-gymnastics-coach-nassar-scandal/2566436002/

At least U of M's regents are less horrible than MSU's even if their gymnastics programs are similarly dumb and thoughtless.

Update: Michigan fired the Nassar lady.

I hung out with Jordan yesterday, and his answer to how he thought he was doing was that he hasn't gotten in the papers yet, so it's going alright, jinxing that streak.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

lol Michigan fired that lady and now their gymnasts are pissed because apparently THIS ONE was only at the USAG a week prior to the Nassar stuff and may not be as culpable?

I don't think they should have even bothered with anyone remotely near that situation but now everyone's mad all over again at a different school!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not sure where you are seeing that but per the Free Press she was told and didn't do anything.

quote:

Faehn, believed to be the first USA Gymnastics official told of predatory doctor Larry Nassar's abuse, was hired last week as a coaching consultant to the University of Michigan's women's gymnastics team.

Faehn's hiring was announced by the university on Saturday. She began working for Michigan on Thursday.

Faehn was never formally implicated in the Nassar scandal, which included hundreds of allegations of sexual abuse under the guise of Nassar's medical treatment. But she was ousted as the head of the USA Gymnastics women's program in May, a week after Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman called for her to step down in an interview with the Indianapolis Star.

"I reported my abuse to Rhonda Faehn and so did Maggie Nichols, and I don't know what she did or didn't do with that information, but I didn't get contacted by the FBI for over a year, and in that time 50 to 100 gymnasts were molested," Raisman told IndyStar in May 2018.

Faehn, senior vice president for women's programs, was first told about what USA Gymnastics has characterized as "athlete concerns" about Nassar on June 17, 2015, according to a timeline provided in 2017 by the Indianapolis-based national governing body.

About a month later, Raisman said, she told Faehn "in graphic detail" what Nassar had done to her, but Faehn and other USA Gymnastics officials still waited another week to report Nassar to the FBI.

Faehn and former USA Gymnastics President Kerry Perry were criticized for not immediately calling police. Instead, Penny hired an investigator who interviewed Nichols, Raisman and McKayla Maroney. Only then, almost six weeks after the initial complaint, was the FBI contacted. Faehn has also been criticized for not contacting MSU about the allegations against Nassar.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

mgobrian's take on it is as simplistic as it always is (She did what she was supposed to as a mandatory reporter and is now getting railroaded), but the fact of the matter is that she was told in advance and did not do enough. We don't let Paterno off the hook for it, Faehn shouldn't be given a pass either.

Michigan hosed up and own-goaled this because now instead of not ever talking to her and hiring her, they've pissed off everyone who thinks she shouldn't work with athletes again AND the gymnasts on the team that decided to set aside what she did or did not do in pursuit of their athletic development.

Excellent gymnastics coach, awful manager of human beings.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
MSU Trustees are going to meet on Thursday.

quote:

"John Engler's reign of terror is over," said board member Brian Mosallam, who has been pushing for Engler's departure for nearly a year. "Michigan State University will be returned to its people."

Besides being terrible what really gets me about this whole situation is that he is the INTERIM President. But he's been in that role for a year now and no one has said anything about hiring a permanent President.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the main problem is why would anyone qualified to be president of MSU want to be president of MSU right now?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zero One posted:

MSU Trustees are going to meet on Thursday.

Besides being terrible what really gets me about this whole situation is that he is the INTERIM President. But he's been in that role for a year now and no one has said anything about hiring a permanent President.

Yeah, I can get wanting an interim president to just see things through but I get the feeling they wanted Engler to just take over as full time president. His total inability to stop saying stupid poo poo though is kind of amazing.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

Yeah, I can get wanting an interim president to just see things through but I get the feeling they wanted Engler to just take over as full time president. His total inability to stop saying stupid poo poo though is kind of amazing.

Engler was appointed president by a Republican state legislature that demanded that they hire Engler (a former Republican governor), or else the legislature would withhold funds to MSU.

The entire idea was to have an old Republican being offensive, so they could claim that the angry reaction was just from people angry at conservative Republicans. Engler did exactly what he was hired to do, which was to keep saying horrendous things to attempt to anger people. There's a segment of the MSU fanbase, the Kid Rock segment, that supports MSU purely for conservative trolling. That's who Engler appealed to.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

AsInHowe posted:

There's a segment of the MSU fanbase, the Kid Rock segment, that supports MSU purely for conservative trolling.

Current scandal aside, is there something inherently conservative about Michigan State?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Current scandal aside, is there something inherently conservative about Michigan State?

It's an agricultural school in the central part of the state that draws heavily from that area and the western and northern parts, which are all significantly more conservative than metro Detroit.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's an agricultural school in the central part of the state that draws heavily from that area and the western and northern parts, which are all significantly more conservative than metro Detroit.

This, plus people think Ann Arbor/Michigan are liberal, so they root for Michigan State to hate Michigan.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Sounds like he might get canned soon.

https://deadspin.com/reports-msu-board-of-trustees-will-vote-to-fire-interi-1831810185

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Engler's resigning.

https://twitter.com/reporterdavidj/status/1085627311335137280

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

Engler was appointed president by a Republican state legislature that demanded that they hire Engler (a former Republican governor), or else the legislature would withhold funds to MSU.

The entire idea was to have an old Republican being offensive, so they could claim that the angry reaction was just from people angry at conservative Republicans.

How dumb are these people

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Metapod posted:

They're boomer Republicans

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Free Press says they will announce a new interim prez tomorrow.

There's a new former republican governor out of a job...

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Zero One posted:

Free Press says they will announce a new interim prez tomorrow.

There's a new former republican governor out of a job...

Snyder went to Michigan, so they wouldn't allow that. That was one of Michigan State's biggest criteria the first time - no University of Michigan grads.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

AsInHowe posted:

Snyder went to Michigan, so they wouldn't allow that. That was one of Michigan State's biggest criteria the first time - no University of Michigan grads.

Good to know they are applying A Standard

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Holy poo poo. Engler didn't just go to the Detroit News editors, he went everywhere in Detroit.

quote:

That same day, Engler met with the Crain's editorial board. And there were some uncomfortable moments.

During the hourlong interview, Engler used his female subordinate in the room — vice president and university spokeswoman Emily Guerrant — for an analogy of a female student who has been sexually assaulted.

"Emily's been a victim of sexual misconduct. Where does she go?" Engler said. "Well, we're saying can we also do something prevent her from being victimized in the first place?"

Then Engler started talking about MSU's new policies for on-campus doctors performing gynecological exams — which served as cover for Nassar's abuse.

"If you walk in, whether you're an adult or minor, but especially a minor, now the protocol is on consent, it's on chaperones, it's on, well this seems so obvious, with the doctor wearing gloves if he's doing vaginal or any of these kinds of treatments — Nassar didn't," Engler said.

As Engler used the word "vaginal," he lifted his right arm and pointed in the direction of the lone female Crain's reporter in the room.

It was an uncomfortable gesture as Engler continued to opine about changes made to MSU's medical facilities to prevent another Nassar from using his power to assault young women.

quote:

For a few moments, Engler talked emphatically about the aftermath Nassar's survivors have endured for years. And then he pivoted into a commentary about the culture at MSU.

"There are those issues around the survivors, but we also have a kid that started this fall that maybe went out three weeks after they got to campus, drank maybe a little bit too much and then, you know, engaged in, you know, conduct and then something happened," Engler said. "We don't know. But now a complaint's filed. How do we make sure that person gets a proper hearing?"

Engler continued to expand upon his alcohol-fueled sexual assault scenario.

"If in fact she was the victim of a sexual assault, make sure that they get the treatment and help they need and that the person who committed that assault is also dealt with," Engler said.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/voices-chad-livengood/analysis-englers-bare-knuckle-approach-was-his-downfall

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ :stare:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It's worth reminding you all at this juncture that Engler has overseen over a billion dollars paid out to sexual assault survivors now between Michigan State and Michigan's Department of Corrections, which had a massive problem with female inmates getting raped by guards.

And yet he continues to get work.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

they poisoned a city to save a few bucks

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://twitter.com/DanMurphyESPN/status/1085692759565045762

This loving guy

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/reporterdavidj/status/1085899881380761600?s=21

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25885611/us-department-education-cites-michigan-state-university-clery-act-violations-espn-lines

The whole thing is damning. Lack of institutional control....absolutely everywhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat :stare:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

"In August 2018, the NCAA issued a report noting that it found no NCAA rules violations pertaining to MSU's actions regarding Nassar nor with the university's response to sexual assault and violence reports made against football and basketball players."

You don't say

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

quote:

According to federal investigators, reports of sex crimes that came into MSU's Sexual Assault Program, which provides advocacy, counseling and support to students who report being sexually assaulted or abused, were not being counted due to a wrongly held belief that those employees were not required to report such crimes to authorities. When federal investigators tried to get documentation about such reports, "no such documents were ever produced as the university stated that the SAP Office did not maintain such records."

Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol, like it's a given that every campus rent-a-cop is incompetent at best and at worst does what they can to cover up campus crime statistics but good loving lord