Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

someone, somewhere, has talked trash about the university of kansas, and this is very unacceptable

cis autodrag posted:

If you have a rebuttal, post it instead of grandstanding and slinging insults. You don't get to shut down discussion just because it's threatening to your worldview.

I've got bad news for you, but it's universally understood in law that emotions exist and are a real thing that people act on, which even factors into sentencing and the like.

I'm not cheering on for people to lynch Nassar, but not understanding why a guy wants to assault the man who molested his daughter under ostensibly his care is some serious lack of empathy. You're attributing to social hierarchy what is a natural human condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

someone, somewhere, has talked trash about the university of kansas, and this is very unacceptable

runoverbobby posted:

It is also understood in law that we have a responsibility to suppress our emotions and maintain a dignified standard of conduct.

Charging Father was upset when he heard his daughters speak. I empathize with him, its a horrible thing to go through. But he had time to reflect. He planned his actions. He asked the judge for permission to attack Nassar. The judge said No. He asked the judge again. She said NO again. Then he willfully ignores her and violently attacks.

Can you not see how awful that is, particularly in the context of this case? It is possible to have empathy for Charging Father, but still vehemently disapprove of his conduct and be unwilling to excuse it. He fell short of the standard the law requires. Hundreds of other fathers in this case went through the same thing he went through, without attacking the convict.

I've always just seen the headline and never knew he was asking for permission to attack, that adds a level of dumb premeditiation to it. It's still just as well he wasn't charged with anything, but that does change things, yeah.