Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Mike Valenti is calling ESPN's piece a "hit job" and is attacking the MSU social worker for being mean to Dantonio and Izzo.

And now claiming that the criticism is just coming from Michigan fans.

I've seen a bunch of fans online go after the social worker for what I thought were even-handed comments. Generally, the fanbase has only brought knives out once there were real threats to the big sports.

I'm ready for MSU football and basketball death penalties, and largely ready just to stop paying attention to college sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

John Engler, former MI Gov, is going to be interim President for MSU. His enduring legacy in the state was in almost completely dismantling social services. I'm sure he'll do a great job supporting the Title IX office.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MSU Alumni Assoc Director stepped down: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/04/17/msu-alumni-director-westerman-investigation/519747002/?csp=chromepush

MSUAA has employed athletes in the past, usually at the behest of the athletic department. I'm going to guess that the director hired one with at least some knowledge of allegations.

GobiasIndustries posted:

i hate my alma mater so much right now, every at every loving turn they have handled this the exact wrong way jesus christ

:emptyquote:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah I'd imagine you're going to see a lot more of that as the investigators keep digging.

It makes sense and I'm sure more bloodletting is coming (and that it's absolutely warranted). It was just surprising to me b/c 1) MSUAA's kind of its own barely funded entity and I figured they were small enough to not get hit and 2) I've met this guy and would've never figured him for someone who would participate in a sexual assault coverup.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

MSU released a statement stating that they haven't learned a single loving thing:

https://twitter.com/MattMencarini/status/1076181125108822016

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

TBH this is about all they can say as official statements go. It's really just a throwaway statement accepting the investigation and acknowledging/confirming a lack of criminal charges. I think some civil suits may still be ongoing so they have to be very short with their statements. Personally I think they ought to be sued into oblivion but their school counsel is probably telling everyone to just shut the hell up for now. (yes, that's how they got here in the first place, but you know what I mean)

That said, have they learned anything? I sure as hell doubt it.

I could better accept it as standard PR if the board hadn't already let it be known that everything related to Nassar is an inconvenience and a distraction. After every awful, stupid thing they've done or said previously, it seems inappropriate at best to claim any sort of victory w/r/t an investigation that named a couple dozen MSU employees who consciously turned their backs on assault/rape survivors. It's also gross to claim thankfulness and respect for the investigators who they stonewalled at every turn by withholding or heavily redacting documents like they're the loving CIA.

I agree with MSU getting sued back to the stone age. It'd be nice if there was some way to find the board members and individuals named liable outside of any D&O protection or to take money away from pointless building upgrades, but I have no idea if that's possible. I just don't want the expense to be passed along to students or teaching staff who genuinely had nothing to do with any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

It's an absurdly small fine, but I can't imagine that any amount of money put into Betsy Devos' hands is going to wind up anywhere good.