Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
that is practical but not as bloodthirsty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

splurgershnitzl
Jan 19, 2018
I don't understand the point of playing games that are not competitive. The only way the AI can put up a fight is by being 100x stacked against the playing field. That is fun if you are the average SA mid-30s IT technician without personal relations I guess?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

splurgershnitzl posted:

I don't understand the point of playing games that are not competitive. The only way the AI can put up a fight is by being 100x stacked against the playing field. That is fun if you are the average SA mid-30s IT technician without personal relations I guess?

yeah

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i guess i should start playing age of empires

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I used to map edit myself into a virtually invincible little fortress so I could just watch the maximum number of AI opponents duke it out. Every time, one civ was just hopelessly stuck way behind, technologically. Like the code called for one opponent to remain weak. I always rooted for them to get their poo poo together and avoid getting curb stomped, but it never happened. loving Hyksos, c'mon!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

splurgershnitzl posted:

Just lol if you can't play a game to gently caress around in and relax.

Oh poo poo, how can I enjoy Universe Sandbox knowing I can't wreck a bunch of nubs!! *furiously deletes the sun and spirals Earth into the cold, empty void*

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

lonesomedwarf posted:

i guess i should start playing age of empires

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The AI in pretty much all strategy games cheats like a motherfucker at all but the lowest difficulties to make up for being predictable, inflexible and incompetent.

splurgershnitzl
Jan 19, 2018

Skypie posted:

Just lol if you can't play a game to gently caress around in and relax.

Oh poo poo, how can I enjoy Universe Sandbox knowing I can't wreck a bunch of nubs!! *furiously deletes the sun and spirals Earth into the cold, empty void*

The important bit is that I am here and I love you and value your existence unless you know you're an awful person.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

splurgershnitzl posted:

The important bit is that I am here and I love you and value your existence unless you know you're an awful person.

I just like spiraling the earth into the bleak cosmic void as metaphorical punishment and salvation

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
it is fun sometimes to watch a few beefed-up AI players duke it out toe to toe while you just kind of hide in the corner of the map and slowly masturbate

splurgershnitzl
Jan 19, 2018

Skypie posted:

I just like spiraling the earth into the bleak cosmic void as metaphorical punishment and salvation

It's all there is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Playing aoe2 was a fun multiplayer experience. Team up 3 against a bunch of AIs on hard difficulty and it'd be a fun game of trying to build elaborate wall systems and defenses up to try to keep the AI from stampeding us to death until we survived long enough to build an army to overrun them.

Sometimes too many units on screen at once would cause lag issues though and I don't know if the Steam version ever fixed that either.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
sometimes it is fun to watch the bafflingly idiotic AI players throw down, one player deciding to send all of their catapults half way across the map to kill a small group of lumberjacks, while the other player sends all their villagers to hunt a herd of deer on the other side of the world on a journey that takes them through swamps, over river crossings, and directly through the enemy city in which most of them will be summarily arrowed by guard towers, a brief loud "YAAARR" being their only legacy to the universe

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Ginette Reno posted:

Playing aoe2 was a fun multiplayer experience. Team up 3 against a bunch of AIs on hard difficulty and it'd be a fun game of trying to build elaborate wall systems and defenses up to try to keep the AI from stampeding us to death until we survived long enough to build an army to overrun them.

this is exactly how my friends and I would always play it

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Wood, please.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
If two players choose the same number/color they gain joint control of one civilization.

I did this with a friend once and we split up building and military responsibilities but we had to coordinate our resource use. Played against a single max difficulty AI on a desert map and turtled until all of the resources on the map were gone. We let the AI break itself against our walls and cleaned up when they couldn't produce any more meaningful units.

Sounds pretty horrible in retrospect.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Work complete! :orks:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RezinSRBLCk

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

poopnanners posted:

If two players choose the same number/color they gain joint control of one civilization.

I did this with a friend once and we split up building and military responsibilities but we had to coordinate our resource use. Played against a single max difficulty AI on a desert map and turtled until all of the resources on the map were gone. We let the AI break itself against our walls and cleaned up when they couldn't produce any more meaningful units.

Sounds pretty horrible in retrospect.

if you can out-last the AI until they go into stagnation-mode, in which all of their villagers just stand around swaying in the breeze for no apparent reason, victory is a matter of course

edit: to clarify, there are still plenty of resources left on the map, they just seem to stop giving a poo poo, as though the computer reaches some level of existential angst and despair

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 27, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

Sometimes too many units on screen at once would cause lag issues though and I don't know if the Steam version ever fixed that either.

I think this is how tower defense games got started.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Byzantines are loving OP. Super walls, gunpowder units and basically all the technologies.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
I only ever played as the 'Tines once i figured out how to combo cataphracts and defense-bonus walls

and cannon towers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Byzantines are loving OP. Super walls, gunpowder units and basically all the technologies.

lol

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
launching special-ops heist missions to steal relics was fun, too

one monk, surrounded by the best troops you can fit on a transport, deep behind enemy lines....

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AOE1 had really silly cheat units, babies on trikes with shotguns, cars that had machine guns or missile launchers, laser troopers and a nuke trooper who could launch from halfway cross the map.

Kinda weird given they later made a Star Wars reskin of AoE2.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Inescapable Duck posted:

AOE1 had really silly cheat units, babies on trikes with shotguns, cars that had machine guns or missile launchers, laser troopers and a nuke trooper who could launch from halfway cross the map.

Kinda weird given they later made a Star Wars reskin of AoE2.

bigdaddy
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper
e=mc2trooper

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i dont know if it was in the original aok/aoc but there is now a penguin special unit and a llama

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Between AoE and Civ, video games are definitely more interested in teaching us about history than our schools were.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

splurgershnitzl posted:

To have fun? AI is an important part of single player games so if it sucks then yeah that's not that fun.

I'm fine with 'competitive games' it's usually the other people tripping out and screaming and whatnot that make it not fun.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

COMRADES posted:

To have fun? AI is an important part of single player games so if it sucks then yeah that's not that fun.

I'm fine with 'competitive games' it's usually the other people tripping out and screaming and whatnot that make it not fun.

Same. I play games to have fun. Not to scream racist poo poo at some 14 year old because they killed my villagers.

People play different games for different reasons. Who knew? :shrug:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

big fan of the age of mythology ost

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Eat your potatoes (quiet mix)

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
AoE2 is awesome, and there are still official expansions being released even after all these years. The worse the RTS genre becomes, the better AoE2 becomes

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
RTS games are best when everyone is allied at the beginning and then your alliance slowly starts crumbling as people group up together and go rogue at each other and backstab each other

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Milo and POTUS posted:

yeah i was just about to comment on that. for all the new civs/graphical updates and poo poo the netcode is garbage. im talking 1-2 seconds latency minimum

Last time I played it they had fixed the lag issues. There was still some normal lag but it was pretty much in line with the normal game. Unless they broke it again.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
PEPPERONI PIZZA PEPPERONI PIZZA PEPPERONI PIZZA PEPPERONI PIZZA PEPPERONI PIZZA

BIGDADDY

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
When doing random maps, what do you prefer? Short game where you only take out the main buildings to win, or the loooooong exterminatus of seeking out every individual civilian and house to burn down :black101:?

The computer could be like roaches sometimes, constantly building in some random rear end spot on the map just when you think you stamped them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I played a multiplayer game where I had literally no units left but a Spanish donkey-priest and like two villagers. I found a path that led to a teeny tiny clearing in the woods and just set up camp there and never grew out of my tiny sanctuary.

The rest of the players all exterminated each other, and the last two were torn between fighting each other and sending units everywhere to try and find my camp because nobody had seen me at all. I wanna say that this story ended in a cool way and I built up a quick army and swept a victory, but eventually a scout found the path and they just sent in some units to clear me out. But I had fun pissing everyone off in the meantime.

Good times, AOE rules

• Locked thread