Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Somewhere in the world there must be people who can only have sex to loud alarms.

Registering the HornHub.com domain right now....

Fake Edit: That probably already exists and I don't want to find out. Especially at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I'm impressed and also slightly disappointed that there aren't any stories about that! Kudos to whomever does your hiring.

I wondered because I once worked at a shelter and one day a male coworker was gone with no explanation; I mentioned it to a friend who worked for a behavioral health program and her immediate reaction was "Who the gently caress hired him? He got fired for doing heroin and sleeping with clients!" He was also a juggalo. Woop woop.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Labes for days posted:

I'm impressed and also slightly disappointed that there aren't any stories about that! Kudos to whomever does your hiring.

I wondered because I once worked at a shelter and one day a male coworker was gone with no explanation; I mentioned it to a friend who worked for a behavioral health program and her immediate reaction was "Who the gently caress hired him? He got fired for doing heroin and sleeping with clients!" He was also a juggalo. Woop woop.

Ohhh, don't congratulate our hiring process just yet. They've hired some baffling dumbasses. See, we had a problem out there. The facility is in the middle of nowhere. The nearest town that is more than just a traffic light and a gas station is 20 minutes away. The nearest city is nearly an hour away. They don't pay quite enough for people in the city to make the commute, leaving a lot of locals (in, honestly, a very poor and poorly educated area of the rural south) to be the majority of applicants. We had...

The Man In Black: A tall, rail-thin white kid that was pale as gently caress and wore a black cowboy hat, a black duster coat and black boots WITH SPURS on them. He worked three days before quitting - stealing the office phone charger on his way out. The dick.

Baby Huey: A weird neckbeard who got hired because he had family working in HR. During his time there, he was caught sleeping on the job a half dozen times, lost the keys to the transport van in a river, not only let the clients skinny dip in a nearby river but JOINED THEM, and nearly hit client with a van. Also known to disappear on 2+ hour long breaks. He should have been fired after a week, but managed 5 months.

Jed: Young country kid. Made it through interview and orientation just fine. Then got fired for saying really offensive poo poo, including randomly telling clients what his girlfriend's vagina tasted like and casually using a homophobic slur around our gay co-worker.

Cocaine Dan: Dan didn't do cocaine. He was cocaine. We had him drug tested a couple of times, but he always came back clean. He had more energy than seems naturally possible and would full-on sprint around campus doing whatever he was doing. Was asked to go pick up mail from admissions, 50 yards away? Sprint there. He also panicked one night because he thought we were missing a client. He exploded through my office door, told me a client was missing and ran away before I could say anything. Before I even made it to the building door he was out of the yard, over a fence and running around a cattle field with a flashlight. Just...kind of running around. The clients were all present and accounted for. It took me 20 seconds to verify this.

The turnaround rate was huge. People who stayed, stayed a long time and were outstanding. But if you weren't outstanding, you usually were on the opposite end of the spectrum and totally useless.

Also, fun story! One of my clients from a few years ago found me on Facebook today. He wanted to let me know he relapsed shorty after treatment, but had since stayed clean (18 months), had made up with his parents, moved to a new state and gotten a good job and had a place of his own. He also wanted the jambalaya recipe I gave him while he was in treatment, cause he'd lost it in the move. :3:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:) That is heartwarming and jambalaya sounds really good.:sparkles:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Great stories - cheers for sharing. Speaking of sharing, how about that jambalaya recipe?

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Haha, sure, I'll copy it over directly from my Louisianan uncle's Facebook message. It's a bit simplified for a house full of generally young, cooking inexperienced guys in a rehab, so it may not be the ultimate for a Creole purist, but it's pretty drat good.

My Uncle posted:

half stick butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups trinity(that’s diced onions, bell peppers and celery, y’all))
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. cayenne
3 bay leaves (remove before serving)
2 tbsp. Cajun seasoning (I make my own, but any kind should be ok)
1 tbsp. thyme
1 lb. smoked sausage or preferably Andouille
1 lb. boiled, then pulled skinless chicken breast
2 cups long grain rice
2 cups chicken broth
3/4-cup tomato sauce

this will feed 3 to 5 probably

To make the jambalaya, heat the oil in a saute' pan and brown the sausage until it begins to get blackened and crispy. Add the trinity, garlic and all spices to the pan and saute' for 2 minutes. Remove it from the heat.
In a pot, pour in the chicken broth and tomato sauce and bring it to a boil. Add the contents of the saute' pan and the chicken. Pour in the rice and reduce the heat to simmer. Cover the pot tightly and allow it to cook undisturbed for around 20 minutes. The rice will absorb all of the spices and liquid as it cooks. When you uncover the jambalaya it should be scoopable and not soupy

Adjust simmer time as preferred for thicker/thinner jambalaya. Enjoy!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rehab clinics turning into/being founded as cult compounds sounds like a grown-up version of how Christian torture camps for children present themselves just the same as regular summer camps. Is that kind of thing common, more on the fringe/woo side of things, or is the bigger problem poorly managed and underfunded rehab clinics?

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Rehab clinics turning into/being founded as cult compounds sounds like a grown-up version of how Christian torture camps for children present themselves just the same as regular summer camps. Is that kind of thing common, more on the fringe/woo side of things, or is the bigger problem poorly managed and underfunded rehab clinics?

To best honest, I have no idea how prevalent the crazy cult rehabs are these days. Du Hast's stuff is pretty much the most I've heard, though I don't doubt there are plenty around. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say they were more common back when the entire industry was much newer and we still had a pretty shaky grasp on how to rehabilitate people and assist with mental health issues. It's worth noting that some places still thought lobotomies were good ideas in the 1970s - it's a fledgling field that has made a lot of progress in a relatively short amount of time. Still far, far from perfect, though.

What I do know is that poorly managed and underfunded rehabs are loving everywhere. Plenty of the latter but TONS of the former. The industry tends to have a strange fixation on hiring from within in an...inadvisable way. Here's the deal - I've struggled with mental health issues in the past. It's why I wanted to help people who are currently where I used to be. Plenty of people with addictions and mental health issues go on to lead productive, normal lives like anyone else and are 100% qualified for a job like anyone else.

Buuuuuut....maybe don't start a rehab and hire your entire upper management team based on the fact that they're success stories, but otherwise have no experience in management, financial, employee relations, etc. Because that's what a lot of places tend to do. My facility was run by the middle tier management like myself, period. Our upper management team were people hired 10 years ago because they were success stories and expect them to just pick things up along the way. They were unanimously terrible at their jobs and, while good people, were pretty reviled on a co-worker standpoint for being useless and meddling. They were too far removed from the "boots on the ground" folks working with the clients to actually learn anything about running the place over time and pretty much got in everyone's way when they tried.

I don't know how widespread this is, but it's been extremely commonplace in the dozen or so facilities I've been exposed to.

Again, hire alumni from addiction and mental health programs. We're no different and just had a struggle at some point in our lives, but we can learn, grow and perform a task like anyone else. I'm an example of that...but I also had a ton of management experience, some medical training, human resource experience AND a background with mental health. A lot of our upper management's resumes kind of ended with, "Is in recovery."

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Do you have any clients you actually like? Not in "oh gosh they are so crazy hahaha" way. In a "these people had some good in them, and I rooted for them?"
Any success stories that bring a tear to your eyes?

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

DrNewton posted:

Do you have any clients you actually like? Not in "oh gosh they are so crazy hahaha" way. In a "these people had some good in them, and I rooted for them?"
Any success stories that bring a tear to your eyes?

Of course! Tons of them, actually. They're just not as "wacky internet story" interesting as others. However, I'll tell you one of my favorites.

When I first started worked at my original facility, an 18 year old admitted. On the day he turned 18, in fact. Lets call him Ben. Ben was an extremely shy kid from a very, very wealthy upbringing and had lead a very sheltered life. The guy never had to do a single thing for himself - literally. Nothing. He didn't know how to boil water. But I'll get to that shortly.

He also never saw any of his family. His parents dumped money and serving staff on him and disappeared on cruises and vacations without him, leaving him alone in a mansion, home-schooled,with nothing but serving staff and a tutor (no friends) for 18 years. They found out that he'd finally met a couple of other kids to hang out with and immediately shipped him off to rehab under the SUSPICION that he was using drugs.He claimed to have never done so, and I believe him. However, when parents sign their kids into our facility, we can't just go "there's nothing wrong with your kid," unless the kid himself wants to check out. He didn't, because he didn't want to upset his parents. So we've got an 18 year old, with no life experiences, crippling social anxiety, and no notable mental issues or addictions. We have to treat him, so where do we start? Well, the therapists worked on unfucking what 18 years of familial neglect will do while the residential staff, like myself, worked on life skills.

One day I'm having a sandwich in the work kitchen. Ben comes in and starts to make himself lunch. He starts with two pieces of white bread. Then he searches through the fridge for a while before pulling out a kielbasa. He put that on the white bread and topped it with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and some canned kidney beans, which he did not drain first. Then he microwaved it. For five minutes. He was trying to make a chili dog. He just didn't know what a chili dog was.

Cooking is a hobby and passion of mine, so I asked him if he wanted me to help teach him how to cook a few things for himself. I quickly learned that he didn't know how to cook a frozen pizza, nor did he know how to boil water. Like, he knew that heat + water = boiling water, but he didn't know how to operate a stove. He was also under the impression you could cram a metal pan full of water into a microwave and boil it that way.

I spent the two months he was there teaching him every basic of cooking I could think of - eventually having him prepare a simple dinner for the household before he left. During this time I also taught him how to do a few things to work on vehicles, how to deal with basic around-the-house problems like a backed up toilet, and how to clean.

Ben was a good kid, listened to us and seemed to generally be a brighter, happier human being by the time he left.

Two years later, we have an alumni event where past clients come and give speeches to current clients. Ben showed up! He had moved out of his parents house, moved to another state with two clients he'd made friends with while at my facility, and they were splitting a three-bedroom house. He had taken jobs in restaurants while taking cooking classes and had eventually worked his way up to sous chef at a small place. He spent his off-time doing charity work at a local halfway house and he'd severed himself financially from his parents. He was living on his own, had made some friends, found a passion and turned it into a career.

While I know that he didn't have the longest road to travel - as in, he didn't have a litany of mental health issues or severe addictions, he genuinely made me proud as something I taught him had made a genuine impact on his life and set him on a path he continued to take for years after I parted ways with him.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:ms::iia:
I'm always glad to hear about people discovering a passion for cooking and that is even better with the whole building himself a life.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Awww what a sweet story. Go Ben.

I never had a dishwasher or knife set (ima poor). So when I lived with a host family on a volunteer program which had these items, they flipped out on me on how clueless I was.

I don't think people realise how much humans have to learn in life. Like my nephew, when he tried to drink water from one of those pasta drainers. He figured out that cups without holes = water!

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

DrNewton posted:

Awww what a sweet story. Go Ben.

I never had a dishwasher or knife set (ima poor). So when I lived with a host family on a volunteer program which had these items, they flipped out on me on how clueless I was.

I don't think people realise how much humans have to learn in life. Like my nephew, when he tried to drink water from one of those pasta drainers. He figured out that cups without holes = water!

It's super easy to miss parts or even huge chunks of the incidental knowledge we're supposed to pick-up when we're young. The facility I'm at now has a wonderful program and is vastly better run/managed, but it has chefs and housekeeping for the clients. If I miss anything about my old facility, it's that the clients were expected to cook and clean for themselves as a community-building and responsibility learning tool. We had them write meal plans and fill out extensive grocery order lists. While we had to help out a lot and nag them about their chores like surrogate parents, I think a lot of the (especially younger) clients ended up getting a lot out of that small detail of their treatment.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

I've spent over a year total in rehabs over the past 5 years, all in Southern California, and got sent to a "mental health treatment center" in Utah for half a year when I was 14. In a way, rehab is almost fun; if you have your poo poo relatively together and stay out of the drama, it's like watching a soap opera.

The first facility I was at, as a kid, was super helpful. I hated it there, of course, because I was a little poo poo and didn't fit in with most of the people, but it taught me social skills that I'd lacked, introduced me to people from outside of my area,, etc.

When I was 19 I went to treatment because my parents wanted me to get help for my heroin addiction, and ended up spending 8 months there. I wish I remembered more about it, but most of my memories are of the programming instead of the people.

The second rehab, at 21ish, was great. It was coed, but somehow didn't have much relationship drama, no relapses that I knew of, and our large group got along great.

The most recent one was only a couple months ago, and it was a shitshow. I broke a bone while detoxing and ended up in a wheelchair for my stay, there were fights between grown adults, staff fired for sleeping with clients, a complete lack of discipline, relapses, the works.

Sorry for the huge post, but if anyone wants to hear about rehab from a relatively recent client I can give that perspective.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Sounds like you've definitely seen the good and bad that come from various places. I'd definitely like to hear your thoughts on going through the programs if you'd like to share.

Also, keep up the hard work, man. Places like that last one can put a serious damper on things. Hope it didn't hurt your recovery as a whole.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

Wizzanthos posted:

Sorry for the huge post, but if anyone wants to hear about rehab from a relatively recent client I can give that perspective.

Yes please.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

• Locked thread