Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah I have a couple of those little weno plugs and they’re great and integrate with homekit well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

priznat posted:

Yah I have a couple of those little weno plugs and they’re great and integrate with homekit well!

I'm not a smart home person in the least, but I have one of those plugs explicitly for a space heater in my office after one too many "I turned that off didn't I? Gotta go check" nights and it's great. If you're going to be homepoding it, you can also use Shortcuts to set up a custom Siri command for heat on/off etc.

The harder part was finding a decent space heater that didn't need to be explicitly turned on and just came on with power.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'm not a smart home person in the least, but I have one of those plugs explicitly for a space heater in my office after one too many "I turned that off didn't I? Gotta go check" nights and it's great. If you're going to be homepoding it, you can also use Shortcuts to set up a custom Siri command for heat on/off etc.

The harder part was finding a decent space heater that didn't need to be explicitly turned on and just came on with power.

Cool thing is apparently Apple is enabling temperature sensors in the homepods (and minis) so you could even set an automation to turn it on if it dips below a certain amount and you are at home between certain hours etc!

I'm extremely keen on the temperature/humidity sensor support to just have some more tracking of the different areas of the house etc.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nice. After I just got done putting Aqara temp/humidity sensors in most of my rooms, and even in the ones with Minis.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nice. After I just got done putting Aqara temp/humidity sensors in most of my rooms, and even in the ones with Minis.

What ones did you get? Eve?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

What ones did you get? Eve?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D37FKGY

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Cool thing is apparently Apple is enabling temperature sensors in the homepods (and minis) so you could even set an automation to turn it on if it dips below a certain amount and you are at home between certain hours etc!

I'm extremely keen on the temperature/humidity sensor support to just have some more tracking of the different areas of the house etc.

My Gas bill just went up 4x I'm never using my heat again lol

I'm also moving soon so I might pick up a few more mini's for around the house.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It’s pretty much that except it’s an electric radiator. My office is separate from the rest of the house and while it’s insulated it does take a bit of time to warm up.

So I don’t have to bother going in, turning it on and then waiting for the room not to be freezing.

The temp sensors being available on the mini also sounds pretty neat.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Temp and humidity sensors have been enabled on Homepods! I had to reboot mine and then they show up for the room I have it. Going to use it to control an outlet that I have a humidifer on.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-use-the-temperature-and-humidity-sensors-on-homepod-and-homepod-mini.2378205/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm shocked how cold my house actually is lol

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not working for me and lots of other folks I guess. Oh well I have a smart thermostat in the same room.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

Not working for me and lots of other folks I guess. Oh well I have a smart thermostat in the same room.

Yeah I've updated everything and its not working for me either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Works for me! I now have objective information about how poorly the HVAC heats upstairs!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Yup the sensors work for me although they did take a while to calibrate. Useful as I can set up an automation to turn the radiator in the office if the temp gets too low.

Not really sure what the humidity means its like 46% on a rainy day.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

LuckyCat posted:

Do you have other devices that can act as a Homekit hub? May have to reboot those as well. When a Homekit device stops working for me, I usually end up rebooting my homepod and apple tvs.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

Do you have other devices that can act as a Homekit hub? May have to reboot those as well. When a Homekit device stops working for me, I usually end up rebooting my homepod and apple tvs.

Nope just the HomePod Mini. I wonder if I don’t have it set up as a hub? It looks like this in Home.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got Aqara temp sensors in a lot of my rooms, and I noticed that Home reports the temperature from them instead of the Minis in the same room. Which I probably prefer, but interesting, nonetheless.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I need some kind of point update. Since 16.3, nearly all my HomePods need commands spoken twice to get them to go through.

Oddly, it happens more with commands for my lights than with commands for information (weather, etc).

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Thwomp posted:

Ugh, I need some kind of point update. Since 16.3, nearly all my HomePods need commands spoken twice to get them to go through.

Oddly, it happens more with commands for my lights than with commands for information (weather, etc).

Having the same issue.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Seems like apple should have some sort of beta program for this poo poo

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I have a feeling this will have been asked before, but, is there any way to tweak the range and/or sensitivity of Handoff on a HomePod/mini beyond disabling it entirely? I have a mini on my desk, and I use my phone at my desk like 4ft away from the thing, and the phone keeps interrupting me with the HomePod interface and it's infuriating. I'd expect it to only do this within like 1-2ft or so.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bleh, the updating to 16.3.1 in the Home app has been spinning for almost 24 hours now for my 6 Minis. I’ve never seen an update get stuck.

e: weird, I unplugged one of them, checked them an hour later and the update installed

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 7, 2023

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

The 16.3.1 point update resolved this, for the most part.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Climate control showed up last night in the Home app finally. This morning, it’s not there anymore. :iiam:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I got me one of those HomePod Minis, mostly as Thread border router for this home automation crap. It has surprisingly good sound. Expected worse.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Another point update is out.

I was finding the last point update was helping with Siri timing out less and less so here’s hoping.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is there any word, or better yet reliable test data measuring the latency of the AppleTV/Dual HomePods eARC use case, ideally specifically covering the latest AppleTV and 2nd-gen HomePods? I am intensely curious about its viability for latency-sensitive gaming cases.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Fedule posted:

Is there any word, or better yet reliable test data measuring the latency of the AppleTV/Dual HomePods eARC use case, ideally specifically covering the latest AppleTV and 2nd-gen HomePods? I am intensely curious about its viability for latency-sensitive gaming cases.

I used it to watch the Super Bowl. It seemed fine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Right, but I'm specifically interested in gaming as a use case. I want to know the latency in milliseconds. The Apple TV and I think TVs generally where eARC is used can delay the picture so audio is always in sync even when latency is involved, but that doesn't work in games. Obviously it'll never be perfect with both an HDMI and a wireless step involved but if it can get into the ~40ms neighbourhood it goes from being a severely compromised experience to perfectly usable in all but the most demanding cases.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

HomePod software got an update, it's at 16.4.

Stability and software improvements according to Apple.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

HomePod software got an update, it's at 16.4.

Stability and software improvements according to Apple.

On it....

Just a sec....

Still trying....

I cannot compete the request right now. Please try again later.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My homepods were already 16.4, I wonder if I put them on the beta and forgot.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Has anyone else problem with wifi connectivity? I use 2 homepods mini paired for sound out on my Apple TV.
When the pods are ungrouped they connect fine to my wifi network. As soon as I pair them together and use them as sound out for the Apple TV they’re marked as not being on the same network as my iphone in the home app and only one of the pods will respond to the remote (like pressing mute only mutes one of the pods). Unpair them and a couple of minutes later they’re marked as being connected to wifi.

I’ve lost count over how many times i’ve done a factory reset of them. I really dislike this product.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing I have noticed with having a homepod mini setup to play the radio at 6:30 is that it will stick an ad in before the station, usually for shopify or something like that. Is this just something in the radio stream provider within Music or is this a homepod thing? Any way to disable that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Almost certainly the radio provider. I've never gotten an ad in an Apple Music stream.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Almost certainly the radio provider. I've never gotten an ad in an Apple Music stream.

Weird it is the CBC music stream which is ad free, that’s why it stood out. Have no idea where in the chain this ad is getting stuck in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New HomePod software is out, but there's an issue where it doesn't show up in the Home app unless you reboot your phone.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can initiate Airplay sessions with Siri with the new OS as well

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

You can initiate Airplay sessions with Siri with the new OS as well

Hopefully this works better because trying to get her to play the same music on the Apple TV and the HomePod is an exercise in frustration. Lol it works sometimes and a lot of the time she says she can’t do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Annoyingly it still doesn't seem to have the update popping up for me, despite the phone being iOS 17 now..