Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They're pretty great if you have an ATV. Better sound quality than most sound bars and built in speakers. They're attractive and Siri works with HomeKit. Far more privacy respecting home automation than any other option.

Only downside is that you basically have to have only apple poo poo. Apple Music, ATV, iPhone, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
As long as it sells better than the iPod hifi

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I really wished they had a mini version.

I don't need the best possible audio experience but I'd love a cheaper way to listen to my Podcasts/Music with Siri functionality.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

13.2 update is out. Airplaying currently playing music from an iPhone by holding it next to the Homepod is very good, A++, would buy again

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

jackhunter64 posted:

13.2 update is out. Airplaying currently playing music from an iPhone by holding it next to the Homepod is very good, A++, would buy again

the update was pulled yesterday, as it was causing issues with a lot of HomePods.

Hopefully they get they fixed rather soon.

For those who have installed the update, do not remove the device from your home app, or reset the device, as this seems to trigger the issue where the device bricks (in this case from what I've heard Apple has to replace the HomePod, as there's no way to DFU the device.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is still on 12.4. Is that the highest version available since 13.2 got pulled?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Seems like it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

How do I check which version I have on the HomePod?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

How do I check which version I have on the HomePod?

Open the Home app on your iPhone, hit the house icon in the upper left corner, tap Software Update

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
I got my 65 year old parents a HomePod for Christmas! They like the sound quality. Is there a “Hey Siri” for boomers guide somewhere?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

fivehead posted:

I got my 65 year old parents a HomePod for Christmas! They like the sound quality. Is there a “Hey Siri” for boomers guide somewhere?

https://youtu.be/YvT_gqs5ETk

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Mini!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

In for 2!

After they go on sale though lol

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Nothing at all in the videos or the web page says anything about a power cable or shows a port for one, but the web page says “20W power adapter included”. Does the regular HomePod have a cable that plugs into the bottom?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I love my HomePod but don't really need this much sound in more than one room. Very stoked to get a mini for my bedroom

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'll probably end up getting a HomePod Mini or two so I can evict all Alexa devices from my home.

What Apple is really missing at this point, though, is an equivalent to Sonos' easy "sound bar plus two rear speakers" surround setup.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MarcusSA posted:

In for 2!

After they go on sale though lol

Seriously, prices in the UK for both HomePods are just totally missing the market, which won’t help adoption or encourage more smart devices to support HomeKit.

£99 for the mini is a joke, the full size echo & nest home can be had for £40 ish.

And a 2+ year old HomePod is *still* more expensive than the fanciest Echo Studio (by £140 in today’s Amazon sale). £279.99 is too much for a kitchen speaker.

£50 & £150 would be much better price points. £200 at a pinch.

Audio is undoubtedly better on the HomePod, but everything else is much worse, and no way to play audio from non-apple devices kills it dead in a country where the iPhone marketshare is below 50%.

I have an iPhone, but the thought of a mate not being able to play music to it is pathetic.

I have a Yamaha AV receiver with airplay, Bluetooth, many line-ins, and its several years old, why is tech moving backwards?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m gonna replace my sound bar with 2.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The HomePod is just too closed off, I've been wanting to get rid of my Sonos but I listen to Tidal, Mixcloud, local music and want music alarms, sleep timers and a bunch of other stuff that was available on every $199 mini system 20 years ago but would be cheating for some reason for Apple to include today.

The new intercom feature seems like a great way for pre-teens to annoy the poo poo out of their families though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really wish there was a HomePod competitor to the Echo Show. I don’t want to murder the battery on a $400 iPad Mini next to a $100 HomePod mini.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

I really wish there was a HomePod competitor to the Echo Show. I don’t want to murder the battery on a $400 iPad Mini next to a $100 HomePod mini.

This. I'll still pickup two minis for bedroom and family room but I really wish my main HomePod in the kitchen had a Echo Show/Google Nest Hub display.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The specs say it's only got 802.11n for WiFi but it does have Bluetooth 5.0...

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

The HomePod is just too closed off, I've been wanting to get rid of my Sonos but I listen to Tidal, Mixcloud, local music and want music alarms, sleep timers and a bunch of other stuff that was available on every $199 mini system 20 years ago but would be cheating for some reason for Apple to include today.

The new intercom feature seems like a great way for pre-teens to annoy the poo poo out of their families though.

Wait you can't just cast audio from any app on an iPhone/iPad to them? I thought it might be cool to have a couple of the Minis for a little stereo setup.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

track day bro! posted:

Wait you can't just cast audio from any app on an iPhone/iPad to them? I thought it might be cool to have a couple of the Minis for a little stereo setup.

You can yes, they’re airplay 2 compatible.

What they mean is that there’s no way to say “play song” and have it fulfilled from Spotify or Amazon music or tidal - that smart feature only works with Apple Music.

There’s also no way to cast audio from Android, or from a windows PC, or from any device with a headphone port.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So I can say 'play X on Spotify' using CarPlay, does HomePod not do that?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Roadie posted:

I'll probably end up getting a HomePod Mini or two so I can evict all Alexa devices from my home.

same, I just want to be able to control my IoT garbage without shouting at my phone/tablet wherever they’re charging.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I would love to replace all the Alexas in my house with HomePods, but

1) Siri on the phone is still extremely extremely lovely so I have no reason to think it'll be any better on HomePod
2)They're still too expensive at $99 each.
3) I haven't looked into it that deeply but it sounds like they don't work with Spotify which is a dealbreaker

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve found that Siri on the HomePod does work better.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I would generally agree that HomePod Siri works better. I think most of my complaints stem from how Apple Music does playlists. But that's pretty small potatoes. The last update has helped a lot with HomePod getting the priority.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We’re on our way to switching to the Apple ecosystem from a mixed one. Next on the chopping block is our Google Home in favor of the Apple mini pod. Music is still going to Google though unfortunately. We watch so much YouTube that it just makes sense for us to have YouTube Premium (which comes with a YT music sub).

Does everyone generally like their HomePod?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use my homepods on my Apple TV’s as speakers and ask Siri dumb poo poo and tell her to set timers and reminders constantly.

I also listen to music throughout the day while working through them with Apple Music and have a handful of accessories set up (like outlets that turn off/on through voice commands). The sound quality is miles ahead of Google/Amazon’s poo poo.

My hangups are that ATVs have a little bit of a communication barrier where sometimes the video won’t sync up correct (Hulu is the primary troublemaker, and YouTube is also poo poo— no problems on Netflix/HBO), and my wife can’t get Siri to listen to her much. I think it’s a gender thing, we had couples over in The Before Times and Siri rarely listened to the women present. Without them having to really try.

I like my homepods. I also like that I got them all for 150-200 a piece, and Apple is way better about privacy.

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 16, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’ll echo those comments and say that, generally, the discovery of features is piss poor.

Look up which apps you have that offer Siri support. My AnyList app lets me go “Hey Siri, using AnyList, add Bananas to my Grocery Store list” and it’ll add it.

It’s cool when it works at least. I hope the mini sells well enough to prompt more devs to support that feature.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The mini might get me to replace my old rear end first gen echo dots and get another pi to run HomeAssistant to make HomeKit work with poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m thinking about a mini but one of my use cases would be listening to podcasts. On some of the ones I listen to they have ads for Google products where they say you could just say “Hey Google, play The Daily” for example. I’m assuming that Google would play the proper podcast even if it’s not one on a playlist. Does Siri do this too? I use Overcast but I guess I could use Apple Podcasts.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m thinking about a mini but one of my use cases would be listening to podcasts. On some of the ones I listen to they have ads for Google products where they say you could just say “Hey Google, play The Daily” for example. I’m assuming that Google would play the proper podcast even if it’s not one on a playlist. Does Siri do this too? I use Overcast but I guess I could use Apple Podcasts.

I’m in the exact same position, overcast is 99% of my listening time.

I have an OG HomePod arriving tomorrow (used, megadeal), will check it out - but I think Siri just works as you wish, and doesn’t require switching your podcast app.

That said, It’ll be a pain to manage played / unplayed state if still using overcast the rest of the time.

There’s always airplay.

As apple are opening up 3rd party app integration, I dream that Marco is working on this for overcast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

You don't have to use Apple Podcasts on your phone to do this, though I suppose if it's a more obscure podcast it might have trouble finding it. In any case, I just said "Hey Siri play podcast Robot or Not" and it worked fine, despite me having deleted Podcasts from my phone.

But yeah, you can always use Airplay if keeping your Overcast playlist accurate is important to you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

You don't have to use Apple Podcasts on your phone to do this, though I suppose if it's a more obscure podcast it might have trouble finding it. In any case, I just said "Hey Siri play podcast Robot or Not" and it worked fine, despite me having deleted Podcasts from my phone.

But yeah, you can always use Airplay if keeping your Overcast playlist accurate is important to you.

Really? I just said “hey Siri play podcast robot or not” and she said she didn’t see an app for that. I don’t have Apple podcasts installed so that’s why I figured I would have to switch to it to get the integration I wanted.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Really? I just said “hey Siri play podcast robot or not” and she said she didn’t see an app for that. I don’t have Apple podcasts installed so that’s why I figured I would have to switch to it to get the integration I wanted.

It uses the app (on iPhone) but can play anything in the iTunes podcast index without you ever having touched it before.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

To be clear: you do not need the Podcasts app on your phone for a HomePod to play podcasts. You do need it on your phone to play via the Apple Podcasts app on your phone.

FWIW Overcast at least has Siri Shortcuts support so you can set those, though it doesn't seems to let you ask for an arbitrary podcast, just play a playlist or create one for a specific podcast, but these don't transfer to the HomePod, since it doesn't have Overcast support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

To be clear: you do not need the Podcasts app on your phone for a HomePod to play podcasts. You do need it on your phone to play via the Apple Podcasts app on your phone.

FWIW Overcast at least has Siri Shortcuts support so you can set those, though it doesn't seems to let you ask for an arbitrary podcast, just play a playlist or create one for a specific podcast, but these don't transfer to the HomePod, since it doesn't have Overcast support.

Oh I get it. I could say “Hey HomePod-Siri, play the latest episode of blah podcast” and she’ll play it because she has the software needed to do that on the HomePod? If I did use Apple podcasts on my phone would that sync over to that app then?