Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think the use case of using this as your tv speaker is going to work too well, maybe they'll be able to do audio sync between an AppleTV and HomePod but if you're gaming there will be a noticeable amount of audio lag, especially once they get into stereo pairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know local files are totally for old folks, grandpa but I find it weird that none of the smart speakers on the market can search and play files from a computer on your network. The homepod can kind of do it with iTunes Match but it still seems weird, especially for Sonos.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Brain Issues posted:

Sonos can do this. It's built in natively, no workarounds required.

I know that, I was talking about voice control. Sonos has explicitly not included it in talking about their Alexa plans, instead mentioning only Amazon music and Spotify. Other Alexa speakers can’t work with local files, neither can Google speakers nor the HomePod. I know there’s workarounds and I personally have zero interest in yelling at my stereo, I just think it’s weird that not a single one supports local files.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Someone's furiously making a kickstarter video for a rubber coaster right this second.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thwomp posted:

What was the old audiophile-mock thread that had those snake-oil mats to put your thousand dollar speakers on to reduce vibration or some-such.

Get one of those for your HomePod.

Isolation pads cost like 40 bucks, not exactly $5000 ethernet cable territory.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Over There posted:

I just want my Ps4 to be compatible with it.

Probably not happening any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The HomePod is just too closed off, I've been wanting to get rid of my Sonos but I listen to Tidal, Mixcloud, local music and want music alarms, sleep timers and a bunch of other stuff that was available on every $199 mini system 20 years ago but would be cheating for some reason for Apple to include today.

The new intercom feature seems like a great way for pre-teens to annoy the poo poo out of their families though.