Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a HomePod for $250. It's pretty neato. I quite like shouting to Siri to pause the movie on my Apple TV or asking it to convert units of measurement while I cook.

It seems to get really eager to play random songs that it thinks it hears when I say "hey Siri press play on the Apple TV" or some variation-- I don't know what the best way to get it to do poo poo on the Apple TV is other than finish the request with "on the Apple TV".

I'd really like to say "hey Siri continue watching the office" or something to have it issue a play command on the Apple TV but apparently that's too complicated.

It also sounds much, much better than my Soundbar and I don't know if I want to get a second one for stereo sound quality, or what I should do. Ugh. It's weird having the sound come from a little bit to the left of my TV.

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nervana posted:

Regretting not getting the 250$ deal :smith:

I regret not getting 2 at that price. Goddammit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

$250 again at bh photo video which would be the cheapest way (no sales tax).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They're pretty great if you have an ATV. Better sound quality than most sound bars and built in speakers. They're attractive and Siri works with HomeKit. Far more privacy respecting home automation than any other option.

Only downside is that you basically have to have only apple poo poo. Apple Music, ATV, iPhone, etc.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use my homepods on my Apple TV’s as speakers and ask Siri dumb poo poo and tell her to set timers and reminders constantly.

I also listen to music throughout the day while working through them with Apple Music and have a handful of accessories set up (like outlets that turn off/on through voice commands). The sound quality is miles ahead of Google/Amazon’s poo poo.

My hangups are that ATVs have a little bit of a communication barrier where sometimes the video won’t sync up correct (Hulu is the primary troublemaker, and YouTube is also poo poo— no problems on Netflix/HBO), and my wife can’t get Siri to listen to her much. I think it’s a gender thing, we had couples over in The Before Times and Siri rarely listened to the women present. Without them having to really try.

I like my homepods. I also like that I got them all for 150-200 a piece, and Apple is way better about privacy.

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 16, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I asked Siri if it was going to be cold today and she said “it won’t be that cold today, 38 degrees” lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or have a “okay” and a “not okay” generic response that’s just a little chime, of giving the user feedback is that important.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Time to desperately find a regular HomePod for $100-150 as they clear stock.

I want that price very bad.

I think it might be because of the semiconductor shortage to gently caress with their profit margins so they're gonna pull back on poo poo that isn't phones and high-margin things. I got my HomePods for $200 each and I thought that was an excellent price, and scrolling through ebay makes me realize they were VERY good deals.

I saw a homepod with a bullet hole on ebay for $180.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ultimate Mango posted:

I like how weather is broken unless you specify where and even then it rarely understands the location you give.

Is there any fix or am I doomed to shout my city every day