Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s why you use Siri on your watch, where none of that poo poo happens.

But yeah Siri on the phone is... loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Transfer My Calls To The Giant Marshmallow

Well that sorts out what I’m calling this thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

let people pair their AirPods with.

Uh...why would I ever do that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Siri is actually insanely good and cool for the three things I use it for so I’m ready for the pod.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finally picked up this dumb thing. It’s both bigger and smaller than I thought it would be at the same time. It sounds really good and setting it up was that same almost complete hand off wave your phone hit yes and you’re done setup Apple is getting really good at.

PS: it shows up as an accessory in Home so that’s where you can rename and look st the device settings (and set alarms).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Over There posted:

I was surprised it was mesh. Now I have to keep it away from the drat cats.

Ah gently caress I’m going to murder my cat if she gets near this. May need to keep it in the bedroom instead of living room.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Suqit posted:

Why did you buy it if you didn't have a specific place you needed or wanted an expensive speaker?

My dude, if I only bought things I needed I wouldn’t have anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dexter6 posted:

Got it but won't finish the set up process. I get to the step of choosing it's location and then next and then just a white box.

From either my iPhone or iPad on latest OS. Tried restarted all of the devices and no dice.

Frown. #frozengate

Do you have a homekit home setup? What’s the hub? Tried restarting that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dexter6 posted:

No homekit setup. I had to install the home app. What do you mean by hub?

For the automation stuff in home, it needs a hub / device that stays at home so the automation can run even when you’re out of home. It’s generally an iPad or Apple TV.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

Hold up, I thought the HomePod will act as a hub of you don't have an Apple TV or stay at home iPad.

Actually it overrides your hub automatically. Previous hub shows as “standby” but the pod takes over.

Only issue I’m currently having is not being able to get it to play my playlists when called out. I say Relaxing and it starts playing Relaxing Classical. Workout ends up playing Hip Hop Workout. It’s connected to my account and the other personal stuff is working just fine so that’s going to be fun to figure out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My playlists are working properly this morning so just have been some AM cache fuckery going on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

So after a couple days, I have a couple minor complaints:

1. I wish there was a way to see what's playing without having to ask.

Not exactly a perfect solution but you can go to control center on the iPhone and force touch music controls to see other devices, one of which should be the HomePod.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

G5ANDY posted:

Is there a painless way of transferring music that’s playing on one HomePod to another one when you switch rooms?

That’s what multi-room support should do whenever it’s released. Someday. This year, hopefully.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Should as in “in a fair and good world”, yeah. Should as in “reasonable to expect”, I would doubt it. Multi room will just be being able to start/stop playback on multiple HomePods, I'd bet.

Looking at this hands on from the beta, it should be able to switch locations seamlessly or start at one then you can switch to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5aK45slcYY

Now the question is wether you’ll be able to use Siri to choose rooms.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man it’s free bumpers* for everyone again.

*coasters

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

11.3 is out. Which includes HomePod. (You update through the Home app)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It's really bad that when multiple devices hear you, the HomePod gets priority, even if it's not something it can do, but one of the others can.

I haven’t run into this at all, I think. I’ll usually throw a timer on my watch via siri and the HomePod never trips on it so I think it knows when not to listen.

Then again, it’s really only those 2 devices I have Hey siri on so maybe it works differently with iPads and iPhones.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It's out on my iPhone, so I imagine it's out on HomePods, too.

It is. Reminder you need to go to the Home app and check the homepod details to see/install the update.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What’s the name of the formula on hue labs? I’m not seeing anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pick up a mini just now. It's smaller than I thought it would be and it's very neat. The power brick it comes with is hilariously big and also not at an angle of the power prongs so good luck trying to get this anywhere flush to the wall. Gonna have to get a replacement low profile brick for this asap.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So you can ask for white noise / ambient sounds and also set a sleep timer so it turns off after X time but has anyone figured out how to automate the whole thing? I currently have a good night scene that turns off everything / sets a nightlight but I can't figure out how to add white/ambient noise and a sleep timer to it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thwomp posted:

Have you tried a Shortcut? You might be able to do all of that in one go via that route.

Briefly but i hit a wall at the media selection. I can't seem to be able to browse/select the actual white noise / ambient sounds Apple uses.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Semi-related but Hue just put out their adaptive lighting update for iOS14/HomeKit control

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can pick the audio source on Apple TV and it keeps the setting so yeah you just pick the homepods once and you’re set.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Ok amazing.

How about independent sound control? Like my S/O might want hers lower while I’m watching tv.

I believe that’s also a thing though I can’t 100% confirm with Apple TV. What I do have at home (HomePod and mini) do have separate volume toggles when I’m playing stuff from my iMac so I imagine it’d be the same thing on the AppleTV.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time to desperately find a regular HomePod for $100-150 as they clear stock.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big homepod is BACK

https://youtu.be/oMf_i1YBuMk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keeping it at the same price point the first one wasn’t really selling at is… certainly a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you just want a on/off outlet the wemo stuff I think works out of the box and sets up entirely on HomeKit without needing their app.