Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Ewen Cluney posted:

One thing I'm wondering about is what the HomePod's Bluetooth 5.0 capability is actually supposed to be for. Apple put out a list of the things it can play audio from (AirPlay and your various Apple media library things basically), and Bluetooth isn't on it.

Doesn't it pair with a phone like a W2 device does? If so I wouldn't be surprised if it is using Bluetooth like you might use NFC pairing on a Android device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ewen Cluney posted:

I think it depends a lot on what you mean by "open this up." Apple usually starts letting devs have access to hardware features a while after they've been on the market, and for iPhone they have let devs get into Siri integration (albeit with a lot of restrictions, resulting in relatively few apps using it). HomePod has powerful enough hardware that it has plenty of room to grow its capabilities with software updates, but apart from announcing their intention to add the stereo pairing feature, they've given zero indications about what they're planning to do with that.

I think it comes down to very fundamental architecture decisions Amazon/Google and Apple have made. Apple will at least claim they are philosophical about data privacy and that very well may be appealing and true but Amazon and Google are heavily invested in cloud computing and AI. On the other Apple has made a point about wanting as much of it to stay device level as possible while they also don't have nearly the cloud computing platform to leverage so we are going to see limitations on it for awhile.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 7, 2018

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HomePod++Teardown/103133

The iFixit folks took a crack at opening up the HomePod..

Hey wait put the knife down, fellas..

Nice braided / woven power cable there.. be a shame if someone CUT IT for some dopey reason.. (They didn't but geez..)

My favorite thing about the teardown is when the firmware came out Apple geeks were obsessing about the 272 x 340 display that it secretly had and speculating about all the cool one more thing uses it could have. Nope, just 16 LEDs to make the Siri blob.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sorry the Apple HomePod is incompatible with your table.

Wirecutter posted:

An unhappy discovery after we placed a HomePod on an oiled butcher-block countertop and later on a wooden side table was that it left a defined white ring in the surface. Other reviewers and owners (such as Pocket-lint, and folks on Twitter) have reported the same issue, which an Apple representative has confirmed. Apple says “the marks can improve over several days after the speaker is removed from the wood surface,” and if they don’t fade on their own, you can basically just go refinish the furniture—the exact advice Apple gave in an email to Wirecutter was to “try cleaning the surface with the manufacturer’s suggested oiling method.”