Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Do we have to have 'fanboys' in the title? I know it's inevitable we'll have a lot of bitch slap fights and the usual accusations abound, but it seems a little too on the nose to me. It's like it was written by somebody with an axe to grind with fanboys. But, I bet nobody gives two shits.

Maybe rename to

It's Just A loving Speaker With a Retarded Decision Tree

Bring Home Another Trash Can from Da Fruit Stand

Echo My Pecko

Transfer My Calls To The Giant Marshmallow

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Alternatively,

Transfer My Calls to the Giant Tootsie Roll

Transfer My Calls to the Chiclet

Apple's Answer To HotKinkyJo

Can I Jailbreak This?

I Thought Soundsticks Were Nutty

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 30, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Cool, so this is just gonna be a big slap fight?

Going by the current title, probably.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HomePod++Teardown/103133

The iFixit folks took a crack at opening up the HomePod..

Hey wait put the knife down, fellas..

Nice braided / woven power cable there.. be a shame if someone CUT IT for some dopey reason.. (They didn't but geez..)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 12, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anyone try handing off a call to make this the the most expensive speakerphone ever?

As easy as switching to headphones on the phone..

If you have another call incoming all you have to do is tap the top of the Pod to switch to that..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 14, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: iOS 11.4 and HomePod :siren:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/05/ios-11-4-brings-stereo-pairs-and-multi-room-audio-with-airplay-2/

AirPlay 2 and multiroom control baked into iOS 11.4.

No, it's not out yet, but kinda unusual for Apple to toot stuff before release.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The specs say it's only got 802.11n for WiFi but it does have Bluetooth 5.0...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just picked up a HomePod Mini and it's pretty cool.. setup was a breeze as all I did was bring my iPhone near it and the Home app did everything for me, including setting up the WiFi by copying the iPhone settings.

The only thing that's a little disconcerting is the USB-C 'tail' that's hardwired into the speaker.. I guess if the cable ever gets damaged I have to go swap out the entire unit?

Even though I'm only on Mojave I'm able to route web audio to the Mini, sounds great..

Guess I'm gonna be saying Hey Siri a lot...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last night I heard my Mini talking to no one in particular, at random in another room.

Somehow I don't think the cats can do human sounds well enough..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

goddamn it Apple make my Mini boop proof

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

jabro posted:

I have three OG Homepods. Two of them I bought at $200 each for hooking up to my MacBook desk setup for stereo. I didn't think I would have to check to make sure that MacOS could do such a blatantly obvious thing before purchasing them. It can't.

Macs can, but you have to do stupid software tricks to get Homepods to work; I have a Mini hooked up to the very rMBP I'm typing on via AirParrot.

There's another method that involves no extra software other than Big Sur and Audio MIDI setup, but I find it doesn't always work 100%.

It's still kind of annoying because Airplay (or the quasi-Airplay server you need to run to get the HomePod connected) introduces something like a 1.5 - 2.0 second delay that you have to correct for; I use Movist Pro to play a lot of stuff and it has an audio push/pull feature that works great for this.

Strangely, I can play YouTube videos in Safari straight to my HomePod Mini and the audio will be synced pretty well without making any adjustments..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hey, mods?

Title change? In light of the kindler gentler narrative that Jeffrey of YOSPOS seems to be promulgating?

'Fanboys' has a negative connotation these days and it sounds like someone with an anti-Apple grudge created it.

ADTRW went from 'animation designed to replace women' to 'Animation Delivers Thorough Rambunctious Wholesomeness' so give us a break, yeah?

Some ideas:

Apple HomePod - Siri for only $99

Apple HomePod - Ding dong the HomePod is dead

Apple HomePod - HomeKit Hijinks

I'm sure there are others with even better ideas..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Apple HomePod - Hey Siri, please work

Yeah the delay is a killer for anything other than media playback. I assume whatever stuff that uses the standard media API knows how to compensate for the delay like videos in Safari, you can see it in action when you play/pause or skip around. Chrome doesn’t, or at least it didn’t last I tried with YouTube TV a while back.

The big thing is that Apple will not let a Mac use the HomePod / Mini as a default audio output (without resorting to the tricks I mentioned earlier.)

iTunes / Apple Music / AppleTV (app) will actually show the HomePod / Mini as an output device and allow audio from media to play, but poo poo like system beeps or third party apps? Nuh-uh.

Somehow I feel it's part of Apple's longtime deals with the music/media industry that resulted in this.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

jabro posted:

I can choose my HomePod on my MacBook right now for audio with no tricks. The issue is it only allows me to use one HomePod and not two for stereo. iOS and my AppleTV allow this.

You have Big Sur? Is that audio that any app can use and outputs to?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/03/22/homepod-mini-has-hidden-unused-temperature-sensor

The HomePod Mini has an undocumented temperature / humidity sensor located near the power cord entrance.

Don't bother looking for it, you'd only see it if you disassembled the Mini..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren:

HomePod software version 14.7 just came out, manage timers directly from the Home app, performance and stability improvements.

Also, ever see what happens when your HomePod Mini updates? You get to see a swirly light slowly rotating at the top, it's almost hypnotic...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: HomePod 15.2 software has been released! :siren:

You have to update to iOS 15.2 to update your HomePod though.

Not sure i like the updates.

Now, when I ask Siri "Hey, Siri, what's the weather for today?"

Old Behavior: "It's currently 52 degrees and sunny, Temperaturea are heading down from 52 degrees to 40 later tonight"

New Behavior: "Weather for where?"

"Here!!"

"Weather for where?"

"Badgerville, New York!!"

"It's currently 52 degrees and sunny in Badgerville, NY. **rest as usual**

If the place you pick is too podunk to have a listing, Siri picks the closest large city.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It should, going to the new homeOS 15.2 seemed to reset Location Services to disabled on my Mini, re-enabling fixed it so "Hey Siri what's the weather" got me what I wanted without having to say where.

It's a shame the Location Services toggle is located waaaaay down the Settings sub menu though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: homeOS 15.3 has been released! :siren:

Apple posted:

Software version 15.3 adds Siri voice recognition support for up to six users in a home in English (India) and Italian (Italy). This update also includes performance and stability improvements.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anyone using their HomePod mini as a speakerphone?

I'm finding that when I place calls out from my iPhone, people on the other end can hear me clear as day even if I'm walking away from it to the fridge or the window.

Yet, sometimes on incoming calls, people say I sound Charlie Brownified and they say the audio is muffled even if I pick up the goddamn mini and hold it to my mouth like a 1940s radio broadcaster.

I think it's because those people are calling on not-iPhones. Anyone else ever get this behavior with their mini?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

HomePod Software 15.4.1 is out

Apple posted:

Software version 15.4.1 addresses an issue where some HomeKit-enabled accessories could fail to respond when controlled via Siri.

This update also includes bug fixes for your HomePod.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Seems like a wet fart to me.. and to release it with Bluetooth 5.0 and WiFi 5 (802.11n!!) when ITYOOL 2023 they just shipped three other products with WiFi 6 and BT 5.3...

Did the OG have temp and humidity sensors?

I just asked Siri on my Mini what the temp was in here and she said sorry I cant do that

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 18, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

HomePod software got an update, it's at 16.4.

Stability and software improvements according to Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You can initiate Airplay sessions with Siri with the new OS as well