Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

Waking up in a strange virtual world with no recollection of the past, Hakuno finds himself forced to fight for survival in a war he does not understand for a prize beyond value; the opportunity to have one's wish granted.

Another f/sn spinoff, Fate/Extra was originally a PSP RPG released in 2010. Despite the familiar faces, Extra takes place in a separate continuity and has little connection to the original f/sn. It is also unrelated to the recently animated Fate/Apocrypha. The Extraverse has spawned many titles itself, including an untranslated sequel, Fate/Extra CCC, the musou games Extella and Extella Link, and several manga.

This anime by Shaft is based on the original game, but it's not quite a direct adaptation. It will be presenting it's own story, separate from the game. It's also NOT Extella/Zero. Apparently, there will also be two different arcs. The first, "Oblitus" Copernican theory, will be the first one airing now, and the second, "Illustrius" Ptolemaic theory, will air sometime in the future.

It is licensed by Netflix, so you'll have to rely on fansubs if you want to watch it week by week. Or wait until

Characters (Similarity to other characters is merely coincidence)

Hakuno Kishinami
Our protagonist. Doesn't remember a thing, but knows he hates the moon.

Saber
Mysterious Red Saber. Umu

Shinji Matou
Your best friend. Wants to be the best gamer.

Amari Misao
A new addition to the anime. Shinji's girlfriend.

Leonardo B. Harwey
Heir to the Western European Conglomerate. Very rich.

Rin Tohsaka
Member of the Tohsaka family.

Sakura Matou
Runs the infirmary. Your cute kouhai.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

! Though the game has been out for a while, and this story won't be exactly the same, keep your spoilers in check for those who haven't played Extra. !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

First episode has been subbed

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't believe Hakunon is loving dead

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

umu

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ah there's the thread!

Viewers hoping to jump into the video game while watching this must be very confused now.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Ah there's the thread!

Viewers hoping to jump into the video game while watching this must be very confused now.

Umu!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

Fuckin' laaaaaaaaaame

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Fuckin' laaaaaaaaaame

considering she's been in PVs and this show is going to have a 'second part airing at an unspecified date' they're prooobably going to be doing more with her. just a hunch.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Should've skipped straight to post Extella's three moms raising their adopted Saber.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Granted, my knowledge of Extra is almost non-existent, but that first episode felt like a fever dream to me. I'm confused as gently caress, but I'm into it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's an original concept by Nasu (adapted into anime script by Sakurai), and intended to be watchable for newcomers and new for people familiar, so you'd be getting that feeling either way for one reason or another.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Motto posted:

Personally, I can't believe they replaced Taiga

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm digging all this stylization and I'm really intrigued by how the plot's gonna go.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

PunkBoy posted:

Granted, my knowledge of Extra is almost non-existent, but that first episode felt like a fever dream to me. I'm confused as gently caress, but I'm into it.

I beat Extra and that first episode still felt like a fever dream.

I'm completely in.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Extremely Shaft and extremely Fate. Good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NotALizardman posted:

Extremely Shaft and extremely Fate. Good.
While Hiro managed to avoid getting cucked in Franxx yesterday, Ufotable most certainly got cucked by Shaft. :getin:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wheres suwabe

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Grouchio posted:

While Hiro managed to avoid getting cucked in Franxx yesterday, Ufotable most certainly got cucked by Shaft. :getin:

:thunk:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ufotable got cucked by Shaft doing Fate/Extra. :colbert:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Ufotable got cucked by Shaft doing Fate/Extra. :colbert:

:thunk:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That doesn't even make sense.

Shaft has done the openings for the Extra CCC and Extella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMOI9AqB9lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO2w29PwoFk

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is gilgamesh gonna be in this

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Ufotable's been working on the Heaven's Feel movies and we have the monthly Emiya Gohan show by them. A-1 handled Fate/Apocrypha and it only makes sense that Shaft, who's done the OP animations as linked above, would take care of a Fate/Extra anime.

So basically, I don't think cuck applies here

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fuckit I guess I'll give this one a shot

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wow, Shinji's a gamer? That's gotta be the least surprising piece of information I've ever learned

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lets all ignore grouchio

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

also it's called ntr

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have absolutely no idea what the hell's going on but I'm totally in. At least Hakuno seems to have one more character trait than Sieg did, in his complete and absolute hatred for the Moon, so he should be more fun than that piece of poo poo.

So from what I can understand... this is happening in a digital world where kids with Master potential are thrown in... for some reason, created by some computer to be Heaven-like. And this has happened several times, repeating and repeating, something only some people seem to know like Glasses Dude and Kotomine Kirei. Also the Holy Grail War has a lot more people and it starts with killings even before the Servants appear, which is pretty metal. And there was an EMIYA statue for some reason before weird-talking Saber just cut it down.

I'm entirely sure I have a bunch of things wrong and a lot of things still don't make sense to me even with that so it'll be super interesting to see where this goes. I'm another person that has never played EXTRA or any of its sequels (I may get Extella at some point, and Extella Link has like all of the Servants I like so that's super tempting) but I guess it wouldn't help either here.

Also the opening is super good and I'm glad we got a full version before the anime even started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq2Ira7hApg

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so is the cooking show out yet?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so is the cooking show out yet?

The first episode has been out for a while, I don't think the second one has been released yet though but I have no idea. It's not a weekly, that much I know.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's releasing monthly, for how long idk

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's on Crunchy if anyone's interested.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

El Burbo posted:

That doesn't even make sense.

Shaft has done the openings for the Extra CCC and Extella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMOI9AqB9lk