Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I keep hearing this song lyric as "he's got a built in beta max", and it's annoying the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I will look over this and then update notes in case you are peeking when I'm thinking.

The season starts in 2 days, rank 5 gives you an ammo machine at your camp that lets you convert any ammo in to any ammo. So that would help with your ammo problem.

The first problem I see is that you have not picked a single weapon damage perk card. You only need one rank for it because the first rank gives 10% dmg. (later on sure lvl up the dmg cards to rank 3 for a total of 20% dmg, but you can do that later) So grab a bunch and try out everything. You are also at the start of the game where guns and melee just don't do enough dmg. Oh poo poo you do have gladiator, so you do have one weapon perk card.

Next up is to make sure your using guns that are capped for their level, like some guns only upgrade every 5 or 10 levels. Shotguns start at lvl 15 and you don't get another until lvl 25 which your coming up on which should help some. Also at lvl 25 you can start using power armor which will help you stay alive by quite a bit. Also in fo76 power armor can be used without fusion cores but you can't sprint or use vats.

You really are so early in the game that you can be fine on this character and you already have a foothold with a spread of cards. I'd say if you don't want to start over you wouldn't really need too.

I'm just gonna drop this in here in case theres more questions about building a character because this post was long and I think it has some useful information.

You really don’t want to max out your damage? On a melee build it’s pretty easy to do. Why take a bunch of weight reduction perks when you can just increase your carry capacity with strength, mutations, calibrated shocks or backpacks? Another 30% more damage is nothing to scoff at. Even with that bloodied build your running it could be useful for tougher creatures that don’t get instakilled by your first strike. Also I don’t understand how anyone can survive with 1 endurance the entire game, especially as a melee build. I’ve never tried it before but why do you not take any endurance perks? Wouldn’t a bloodied build be better with more endurance? That way the nerd rage will kick in with more health to spare than with.... basically none. I’ve been thinking of making a bloodied heavy weapons build but it seems redundant when I have all the mutations in the game and adrenal reaction is a thing.

Edit: and 1 perception? Do you just not lockpick anything?

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 29, 2020

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

You really don’t want to max out your damage? On a melee build it’s pretty easy to do. Why take a bunch of weight reduction perks when you can just increase your carry capacity with strength, mutations, calibrated shocks or backpacks? Another 30% more damage is nothing to scoff at. Even with that bloodied build your running it could be useful for tougher creatures that don’t get instakilled by your first strike. Also I don’t understand how anyone can survive with 1 endurance the entire game, especially as a melee build. I’ve never tried it before but why do you not take any endurance perks? Wouldn’t a bloodied build be better with more endurance? That way the nerd rage will kick in with more health to spare than with.... basically none. I’ve been thinking of making a bloodied heavy weapons build but it seems redundant when I have all the mutations in the game and adrenal reaction is a thing.

As someone with level 1 endurance and a bloodied build, I don’t really see how much endurance can help. Each point of endurance only gives you 5 more hp, and it’s not like I have a ton of customization wiggle room, so in reality I’d only be gaining like 15/20 more hp overall. I’d much rather have those points go to damage perks so that way I kill things faster. The whole less app cost when running isn’t a big draw either as the custom fit mod on ss armor legs is pretty good, and even with only two unyielding pieces I have a shitload of ap and can run a while.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

i flunked out posted:

As someone with level 1 endurance and a bloodied build, I don’t really see how much endurance can help. Each point of endurance only gives you 5 more hp, and it’s not like I have a ton of customization wiggle room, so in reality I’d only be gaining like 15/20 more hp overall. I’d much rather have those points go to damage perks so that way I kill things faster. The whole less app cost when running isn’t a big draw either as the custom fit mod on ss armor legs is pretty good, and even with only two unyielding pieces I have a shitload of ap and can run a while.

Endurance has a ton of good perks for survival and defense, also the more health you have the larger your health pool when you hit some of the thresholds for nerd rage, radicool, and serendipity. Here is a build im thinking of working on at some point. Trading out the melee part of the bloodied build for heavy guns and explosives:

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks?v=1&s=c346f5b&d=ib4ir2ip2s32sq2sr2pe2a72l71lu2c72cr0lt2a30la2a00ee2s22cu0ic3

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I'm taking an uncomfortable amount of pleasure in breaking into peoples' Camps by sneaking through environmental gaps, using beds through windows and so on.

Trapped myself more than once as I can't pick the lock to get out, but hey, small price for a voyeur.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I totally understand. Part of why my C.A.M.P. is an absurdist open-air nightmare is that I imagine people will be able to break in anyway if they are determined, so you might as well just let them in

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Do people go around wrecking other camps? I scrapped my turrets ages ago, don’t really have much issue.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

Do people go around wrecking other camps? I scrapped my turrets ages ago, don’t really have much issue.

I used to raid people’s camps with the daisy cutter and have a grand old time but now you can’t even destroy someone’s turrets if they are on pacifist mode.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MarshyMcFly posted:

Perk points come really slow, you can get the full 20% per perk card. Rank 1 is 10%, rank 2 is 15%, and rank 3 is 20%. But you can do that anytime later after you have alot of the supporting perk cards.

Yea I'm running a bloodied build and I can actually one shot everything without dmg perk cards, lol. unarmed is pretty op because it gets a free 45-50% from mutations. I had so many legendaries from the parade event that I was using every single weight reduction perk to move around. I've actually managed to sell the last of them in the last few days.

Endurance has a very low value because the difference from someone with 1 to 15 endurance is very small. 1 endurance characters have 250 hp and 15 endurance characters without perk cards have 320. If your playing a bloody build you have less than 50 hp with 1 endurance or 64 hp with 15 endurance(this is less than 1 hp per endurance hahahahahaa). So you can see here endurance is kinda bad.

MarshyMcFly posted:

The character I play as has 3 or 4 perception but for the character to get steam achievements, I had no reason to lockpick because lockpicking is only for another way in some place or loot. So kinda pointless. You have to have 3 lockpicking to do the lvl 3 safe farming, but I already did that.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Endurance has a ton of good perks for survival and defense, also the more health you have the larger your health pool when you hit some of the thresholds for nerd rage, radicool, and serendipity. Here is a build im thinking of working on at some point. Trading out the melee part of the bloodied build for heavy guns and explosives:

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks?v=1&s=c346f5b&d=ib4ir2ip2s32sq2sr2pe2a72l71lu2c72cr0lt2a30la2a00ee2s22cu0ic3

If you want to be really tanky you need to also run full unyielding and dodgy with your 300+ ap. It stacks with serendipity and nerd rage and lone wanderer.

Being tanky without power armor is kinda a pointless tree to climb because you can do things faster as a sneak character one shotting everything with vats headshots while invisible.

Also you took stabilized and seredipity so you plan to play this in power armor? I had figured it was a non power armor build but serendipity doesn't work in power armor. Dodgy does work in power armor though, it will eat up your ap super fast.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 30, 2020

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Serendipity doesn't work in power armor? It doesn't say that on the card.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Did they say anything about a paid element to these seasons?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Four-Eyes posted:

Did they say anything about a paid element to these seasons?

They said the seasons will be free. They may add a fallout 1st perk to the later seasons.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Double post, but update 20 is here.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/47XE9Dbh3weAd5kusOIA8p/fallout-76-update-20-patch-notes-june-30-2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So just to be sure, if you win something like the ammo converter, does that work for multiple characters under your account? Like an atom shop purchase?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

IUG posted:

So just to be sure, if you win something like the ammo converter, does that work for multiple characters under your account? Like an atom shop purchase?

I think so, but unlock it on your primary to be safe.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Aaaah, there's a fireplace CAMP item that doubles as a hidden door way. :allears:

It means getting to rank 99, but hey, life goals.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The season journey is pretty grindy I dunno if I'm gonna do it.

A trick for the lvl up challenges, make a new character pick up the perk cards in the vault and delete the character. Oh poo poo that doesnt lvl you up anymore haha

Have fun converting .38 ammo 20 at a time.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 30, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Have fun converting .38 ammo 20 at a time.

Better than selling them 0 at a time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Someone on reddit did the math of needing 223750 score and you get 21500 score per week and the season lasts 10 weeks allowing you to get 215000 from doing dailies everyday and all the weekly challenges leaving you to get 8.750 from the repeatable 100 score per 10000 exp which means you only have to grind for 880,000 EXP!!!

WHAT A GOOD SEASON JOUNREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Yep, I'm done. Already uninstalled it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Someone on reddit did the math of needing 223750 score and you get 21500 score per week and the season lasts 10 weeks allowing you to get 215000 from doing dailies everyday and all the weekly challenges leaving you to get 8.750 from the repeatable 100 score per 10000 exp which means you only have to grind for 880,000 EXP!!!

WHAT A GOOD SEASON JOUNREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way. How did they gently caress up this lay up lol

Does this include nuclear winter challenges?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yes you have to do NW challenges or you have to grind the 100 score per 10k exp more.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
This Ammo converter is the worst piece of gaming UI I have ever dealt with, Jesus. Four clicks to make a single selection, waiting for the screen to refresh each time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Here is the math

You need 220,275 score to get rank 100.

You can get 21,500 per week if you do all dailies and all weeklies every day.

- This is 14,000 score from doing every single daily every day including the NW dailies

- 7,500 of this score is from doing every single weekly challenge

You need to get 5,275 from the repeatable exp daily over the entire season which is 530,000 exp.

After you do this the season ends and you have to do it again.

If you skip all the NW challenges you gain 21,250 score every week leaving you at 212,500 score by week 10 which you have to had made up 7,775 score from completing the 100 score daily 78 times from earning 780,000‬ exp.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Here is the math

You need 220,275 score to get rank 100.

You can get 21,500 per week if you do all dailies and all weeklies every day.

- This is 14,000 score from doing every single daily every day including the NW dailies

- 7,500 of this score is from doing every single weekly challenge

You need to get 5,275 from the repeatable exp daily over the entire season which is 530,000 exp.

After you do this the season ends and you have to do it again.

If you skip all the NW challenges you gain 21,250 score every week leaving you at 212,500 score by week 10 which you have to had made up 7,775 score from completing the 100 score daily 78 times from earning 780,000‬ exp.

Don't we usually get a couple thousand from the scorchqueen and related event?

People will be farming watoga like crazy.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

A copy/paste from a Reddit thread about the update (https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/hit4vm/list_of_issues_after_the_update_feel_free_to/):

Reddit on Day 1 of update posted:

• New weapon skin is poorly designed with floating parts and clipping issues
  • Food buffs seem to be doubled.
  • Weekly challenges aren’t rewarding score points.
  • NW challenges are rewarding Christmas and Halloween items. Seems to think there’s seasonal challenges going on even though none are scheduled.
  • Adrenaline perk card is broken and doesn’t work currently.
  • Challenges on PC titled “LOOKUP FAILED”
  • Workshop icons not displaying on the map
  • PC client doesn’t start after you hit “play”
  • For the scrapping challenge, hitting scrap all junk doesn’t count towards the completion. You have to individually scrap things to count.
  • Can’t add new fusion cores to PA
  • Flyboy helmet uses headlamp light effect even through it has no headlamp.
  • CAMP loading issues and overlapping with other structures that didn’t have that issue prior to the update.
  • Not a bug, but apparently the ammo converter has a terrible UI
  • On the ammo converter, flamer fuel is accidentally labeled 10mm
Some pretty funny stuff in there, and I guess this means the Public Test Server isn't of much use.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Discospawn posted:

A copy/paste from a Reddit thread about the update (https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/hit4vm/list_of_issues_after_the_update_feel_free_to/):

Some pretty funny stuff in there, and I guess this means the Public Test Server isn't of much use.

They didn't test any of the SCORE system on the PTS and that seems to be all the issues. Incredible.

They could have released the not buggy wendigo colossus instead. Lmao

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Hootington posted:

They could have released the not buggy wendigo colossus instead. Lmao
Did you not read the update? It now has a reduced 1-in-10 chance to spawn when the appropriate locations are nuked.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There is/was a new way to fight it that they removed from this update.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

There is/was a new way to fight it that they removed from this update.

Yeah the colossal problem. Before they removed it from PTS for "rebalancing" everyone said it worked well and wasn't buggy. Maybe they need to add some bugs before release.

Lmao it is being reported that consuming food is insta killing people. Youtuber Juicehead had his game file corrupted lmao

Lol they hosed a ton of poo poo up. A bunch of consumables are insta killing bloodied builds.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 30, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
What the hell? Who thought it would be fun to make players log in every day to complete every daily challenge and make sure you get all the weekly challenges and also grind out a buncha levels because that isn't going to give you enough SCORE. 800,000 XP sounds like a lot but that's only 50x post-100 levels to earn over the 70 days you have to do it. It is definitely doable but I dunno I don't want to be forced to login to play a game every day for 10 weeks.

I will say that public groups is pretty great though. I created one and had a full group in about 30 seconds and got all the team benefits despite never seeing anyone else on my team in almost two hours. I guess I need to find an Empath Serum now too since I'll always be on a team now and even without Class Freak there's 0 negative effect while on a team.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Mr Hootington posted:

No way. How did they gently caress up this lay up lol

Do you know where you are

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Just got the ammo converter and I concur with reddit on the fact that it takes FOREVER to convert ammo. Especially if you have 1000+ .38 rounds and you can only convert 18 at a time :(

Edit: also you have to have the ammo in your inventory to convert it.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 30, 2020

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

getting back into this incredibly broken game and think i'm gonna do a heavy weapon/power armor build, how far off the mark am i with this?

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks?v=1&s=f366e66&d=sr2s32sq2ip2ig2id2a04lt2ls2ic4s22pe2e52cu2cm2sx2ee1a70

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
More than good enough.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Stepped into Nuclear Winter for the first time. I spawned right next to a full set of Enclave PA. Was doing so well until someone with a quad barrel gauss gun snuck up...

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I think moments like these are the exact reason why I believe I got full value out of this game. Not despite the horrendous buggyness, but because of it. I just find it hilarious. I’m not even mad at the fact that the one thing that I was looking forward to was the ammo converter in this patch and it turned out to be an unintuitive mess. I just find it funny that Bethesda is STILL loving this game up so hard it should be dead. Yet somehow I’m still playing it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Reddit thinks it might be literally impossible to hit tier 100 according to math.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/hizp05/you_can_not_afford_to_miss_any_score_challenges/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share posted:

I ran the numbers here and u/Cam2910 pointed out that the total amount of SCORE by level 100 is 223,750. The total amount you can earn in 10 weeks from EVERY daily and weekly is 215,000. You can NOT earn everything from dailies and weeklies alone without also getting xp boosts. The required xp to get that last 8,750 score is 875,000 xp. So it is likely near required that you do EVERY daily and weekly.
To put it into perspective, you will unlock 10,000 xp by killing about 50 max level super mutants. Now kill 4,325 more (about 200-250 West Tek runs). It’s possible, but there is very little leniency for error at this rate (5,000 max level mutants to save you 3-4 levels).
Unless they do bonus points or double points or have an unannounced interest cap (like at 2,500 instead of every level adding 25 more points), if you miss any days, you will have a very hard time reaching 100

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 1, 2020

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah, one of the original reddit posts about it pointed out that you can use the 150 atom rewards to buy those last levels to fill in that SCORE gap for the last levels to reach 100. But obviously that's a bit troubling if Bethesda took away the previous system of getting free atoms, and the new system awards atoms but also expects players to spend atoms to actually complete the season pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If I just wanna walk around exploring the wasteland, fighting mutants and bandits and stuff and sometimes doing a quest, is 4 or 76 the better option? I have 0 interest in the online side of it but also only minimal interest in a story; I normally play Bethesda games by walking around the entire map once and then stopping pretty soon after.

I thought with the Wastelanders update 76 might be what I'm looking for since I read it has a bigger map, so I picked it up, but 3 minutes after leaving the vault I walk up to a tower and find a player next to it floating in the sky. I'm alright with occasional player interaction, but is it gonna be a constant thing? I mostly just wanna run around. I guess I shoulda known this getting into it since its entire thing is how it's online, but I had a (perhaps mistaken) impression you can sort of treat it as a singleplayer game too. I'm about 20 minutes from the end of the refund window (I spent ages making the character); should I stick with it a bit more or just go for 4 instead?