Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of SPECIAL, is it possible to do a play through of Fallout 3 or 4 with no or minimal killing? It’s been a while since I played either game, but I feel like both games don’t really support those play styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of SPECIAL, is it possible to do a play through of Fallout 3 or 4 with no or minimal killing? It’s been a while since I played either game, but I feel like both games don’t really support those play styles.

i havent played 3 in years but it might be doable of you have high speech and sneak around alot. everything on the map is trying to kill you in 4 so i doubt that.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
4 is possible to a “passive” run where you won’t be credited will kills (even though you caused people to die). There is one part of the game you have to gimmick, since the mission is to kill a target, so not a true passive run like in other fallouts.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

chaosapiant posted:

Fallout 3 you might be able to with massive abuse of the speech skill but its going to be a very long struggle and you'd have to plan out everything you're going to do in advance. Fallout 4 you would have to take advantage of dismissing npc's to settlements to kill anything by sending them to a target that is between you and the dismissed settlement in question. Also indoor areas you would have to sneak to the bottom of the dungeon or area in question, dismiss the NPC, and let them do the work without having the kill register in your pip boy stats. Since they're invulnerable they'd be the best way of getting away with killing in the game without actually killing. Also you would have to rely on constructing settlements in order to go up levels. I have absolutely *zero* idea how you would make it through downtown Boston without abusing quicksave/quick reload.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

There's a YouTube channel where a guy does weird Fallout challenges, including pacifist runs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2UL0LNnH7Hzqokxzf_HvJWkHJ0z1yqX-

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lol its going to take forever to complete the blade of bastet quest because i have to hit everything like 50 times to kill it with the sword. also my armors broken and im out of repair mats and ammo.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
In case you were wondering, the lit torch skin is absolutely garbage, in first and third person view it completely screws up your fov.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So in FO4 I came across a location called Natick Banks. When I got there all the supermutants were dead and there was a deathclaw lurching about that I had to kill.

Was that whole area designed like that, or had I stumbled across a camp of supermutants who got wiped out by the deathclaw as I was approaching?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Anytime I find something cool like that I just allow myself to appreciate the outcome, not necessarily concerned with if it was scripted or a fluke.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

To spoil the answer then, yeah the deathclaw frequently spawns there and battles the super mutants.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

xxEightxx posted:

I’m a little confused, if you slot a legendary perk card that increases special, can you then slot more regular perk cards in that special stat? Or is just to help the game math?

At max level those cards will give you 5 special points, which allow you to then move those 5 to another special attribute or just increase that one they are on. So it can make 10 str into 15 str, and you basically just got 5 more special points for all the bonuses that come with having them, IE more perk cards.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Reminder they have obsidian too

https://mobile.twitter.com/XboxWire/status/1308028820545396736

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And InXile

There is now nothing stopping the re-merger of Wasteland and Fallout into the single concept they once were in Brian Fargo's mind

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Welp lol

mtcr
Jun 14, 2020

hold thy ground, sinners
So since Michaelsoft owns both Obsidian and Bethesda now, does that mean a New Vegas sequel of some sort is at least a remote possibility?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Dr. Quarex posted:

And InXile

There is now nothing stopping the re-merger of Wasteland and Fallout into the single concept they once were in Brian Fargo's mind
I know Bethesda was desperate for a way out of their obligation to fix Fallout 76, but this seems a bit rash. :ohdear:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

mtcr posted:

So since Michaelsoft owns both Obsidian and Bethesda now, does that mean a New Vegas sequel of some sort is at least a remote possibility?
xbox series x series 2 console exclusive in 2024 prob

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Microsoft seems to be putting everything on PC eventually, this makes that $5 a month for game pass that much more enticing.

edit: it's $10, still seems good

Namaer fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 21, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

And InXile
ZeniMax Media doesn't own InXile do they? The only thing I can see linking them is Hunted: The Demon's Forge in 2011.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Namaer posted:

Microsoft seems to be putting everything on PC eventually, this makes that $5 a month for game pass that much more enticing.

edit: it's $10, still seems good

ah, they finally bumped it up from the "beta" price did they? They were ridiculously profligate with that service for a while. At the end of last year I signed up for a dollar, paid maybe one month for $5 and then cancelled it, then signed up for 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate for another dollar, then didn't renew when the 3 months was up, then signed back up for regular gamepass a few months later for another dollar, cancelled, then signed up again another month later for a dollar again. At no point was I trying to trick them or beat the system, I just literally logged in to my Microsoft account and clicked "I will have one month of gamepass please" and they said "very well. One dollar. Thank you."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

$7,500,000,000 is far too little to purchase exclusive access to the pip boy. His worth surpasses earthly measure, beyond the peak of a cloud crested mountain of funko pops

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

But what is Vault Boy's worth

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

CapnBry posted:

ZeniMax Media doesn't own InXile do they? The only thing I can see linking them is Hunted: The Demon's Forge in 2011.

MS owns them.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow I totally missed that announcement. I guess Faran Brygo will live forever!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

overall one wasteland isent as bad as i thought it would be. molerats being able to eat 3 point blank shotgun blasts before dying is kinda dumb but it seems like my character can take a bigger beating before he goes down and i can progress through the game without worrying about having the right legendary gear drop.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

ASenileAnimal posted:

overall one wasteland isent as bad as i thought it would be. molerats being able to eat 3 point blank shotgun blasts before dying is kinda dumb but it seems like my character can take a bigger beating before he goes down and i can progress through the game without worrying about having the right legendary gear drop.

I have been liking it. There are some health scaling issues for sure though.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Did it hit bloodied build hard at all? My ttk is way up but doing these instances I’m still noticing bloodied builds shredding everything the same.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
yeah it hit bloodied pretty hard (there are alot of damage modifiers for bloodied builds), but you have to keep in mind that the bloodied legendary effect is one of two that can currently reach 100% extra damage (but that's if you have 0 health, which is somehow possible without dying). If you are running nerd rage and sitting right at the amount of health that makes nerd rage kick in, you'd be doing +80% damage. other legendary effects just don't reach that level, which is stupid.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe they will fix things to make the gameplay fun but its just not. There's too many poo poo legendary bonuses so the pool is just hosed for your chances.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

On my heavy gunner build I have a bloodied + extra limb damage MG42. It shreds things apart but I don't run it cause keeping that thing with ammo is just a nightmare.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

BadLlama posted:

On my heavy gunner build I have a bloodied + extra limb damage MG42. It shreds things apart but I don't run it cause keeping that thing with ammo is just a nightmare.

You could try running a a daily op with a full group slowly. Just let them come. They will all drop at least some ammo and you get some in the loot pool as well. Otherwise, yeah, 308 is a pain to keep up on.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

while there were some early surprises (i forgot about one wasteland the first time i dropped in to solo tea time for a daily challenge and was initially shocked i didnt just one shot all the creatures) i think on balance its way better and if anything it feels kind of better against actual hard things (like robbits or super mutants) and also you get good xp all the time now

ive started playing my low level alt that was like 20 before OW and it definitely feels a lot better not to mention got like 6 levels just poking around the forest POIs investigating everything i hadnt revisited in like 6 months since you can actually earn exp there and way less crafting than when my main did it cause all the raiders and scorched keep dropping weapons and armor pieces scaled to your current level to replace things with

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Berke Negri posted:

way less crafting than when my main did it cause all the raiders and scorched keep dropping weapons and armor pieces scaled to your current level to replace things with

Hey that sounds interesting lol.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah it definitely...gels? better

most importantly never having to worry about walking through a sort of mid-level zone like the divide that a lot of high level players will frequently pass through and now everything is like level 80 and youre just trying to do rose's bullshit

and for my main only ever getting level 50 drops is nice, even if its non legendary since thats more poo poo to vendor off for more caps as well than turning in 10 1 cap level 5 hunting rifles or something

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

ZombieCrew posted:

You could try running a a daily op with a full group slowly. Just let them come. They will all drop at least some ammo and you get some in the loot pool as well. Otherwise, yeah, 308 is a pain to keep up on.

In case of .308, Ultracite is the only sustainable option when you main a LMG. I have a Primed LMG as backup weapon and with Ammosmith 2, maxed Ammo Factory and Super Duper your average Whitespring farming run for flux and mats can net you a couple thousand rounds

Also, farm Daily OPs and murder the end boss with the LMG. The ammo reward is determined by the weapon you have equipped when the boss dies. It's ~200 UC .308 per run.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Here's some more info on the bethesda microsoft thing. It's alittle more complex than how it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwk3iHTZA04

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I don't know if this was talked about, it probably was at some point, but with Microsoft owning Bethesda and Fallout and yadda yadda...does that make the situation where Bethesda games will kind of have to have more spit and polish? I imagine Microsoft wouldn't want to release a game that's very clearly half finished and needs half a dozen patches to be even a tiny bit stable.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

lol no

Wasteland 3

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TheLoneStar posted:

I imagine Microsoft wouldn't want to release a game that's very clearly half finished and needs half a dozen patches to be even a tiny bit stable.

lol have you seen the MSFS release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
looks like interior camps (CAMP Shelters) are going to actually make it in before the end of the year

color me surprised

from here:

quote:

In last week’s Inside the Vault, we shared a look at what’s headed your way through December with an updated Roadmap and Community Calendar. The Steel Dawn Update is coming toward the end of this year, and it will bring new features, quests, and more to the game. We’re excited to get a head start on hearing what you think about what’s next for Fallout 76, so we’re planning to kick off our next iteration of the Public Test Server (PTS) next week with our new C.A.M.P. Shelters feature. Initially, Steel Dawn quest content will not be available in the PTS, though we plan to add it in the coming weeks. In the meantime, you may encounter a few NPCs who have temporary “Robovoice.” Read on to learn more about C.A.M.P. Shelters play testing.

Building in Fallout 76 is an area of the game that we know many of you are passionate about. We often hear requests from the community to give players more opportunities to construct awesome creations, and C.A.M.P. Shelters are going to do just that. All you’ll need to do is build the door to your Shelter in your C.A.M.P. You’ll then gain access to an instanced underground location with a separate build budget from your main C.A.M.P. that you can build in to your heart’s content.

Shelters will come in varying sizes, layouts, and styles, and we’re looking to playtest three different types in this upcoming version of the PTS. You can have one of each type in your C.A.M.P., and each will have its own budget. We’re also going to remove material requirements in the PTS, so that you can let your inner interior designer run wild without needing to spend time hunting for components.

As mentioned above, Shelters will be the only new content available in the PTS at first, so that we can focus play testing, feedback, and bug reports on that feature. In the weeks that follow, we’re planning to bring additional content to the Test Server, like new Steel Dawn quests, so that you can share even more thoughts with us about the Steel Dawn Update prior to release. Keep an eye on Fallout.com next week for more details about the PTS, including the start date.