Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Eiba posted:

I've tried to say caps aren't that important, but he says there's still crafting recipes he can't afford.
I think your friend has identified that the game lacks much in the way of character progression outside of unlocks for recipes & blueprints, and the most reliable way to get most recipes is through vendors (or the atomic shop). The game's mechanics are designed to never let players feel comfortable about their ammunition or scrap stockpile, so it sounds like he's trying to bypass the component grind while still making progress towards 'completing' the game.

You might be able to convince him to adventure with you if you find recipes he's missing that have a static spawn location in the world (the Fallout 76 wiki is pretty good for listing all of these). Of course, if you start visiting those locations and not finding recipes (because of RNG or because other players have already looted them), he might decide to stick with his current method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're having ammo problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I got 9000 rounds of ultracite 5mm and a gatlin gun.

The fire rate is hot trash though.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Whats this Worlds thing. Is that just Fallout76 but new thumbnail?

Honestly confused so wondering

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Whats this Worlds thing. Is that just Fallout76 but new thumbnail?

Honestly confused so wondering
Fallout Worlds is a system with 2 main components:

1) Every month, there will be a new, separate server available for all players to join. That server will have different settings than the normal Adventure mode (settings that encourage building or PvP or just general wackiness), and you can create a new character or clone an Adventure character into the new, crazy world. Characters you move into the world can't be moved back into other servers (public or private), and every month or so this temporary server will be deleted and replaced with a new server with new settings. The general idea seems to be that this will be a 'for-fun-only' playspace where players can experiment without having to worry about progressing their character or conforming to the normal meta.

2) Private Servers created via Fallout 1st can now be customized by their creator, using a handful of slider options to change how their server works. However, just like with the temporary public servers above, characters can only be imported into these custom Private Worlds, and never exported back to the normal Adventure mode. The idea seems to be that players can create a more customized, private version of the game that they want to live in forever (essentially abandoning the public Adventure mode and committing themselves to an indefinite Fallout 1st subscription).

The player reception has been generally negative towards the update, as it has been seen as a way to distract players from the main game rather than fixing bugs and adding content to the primary game mode (and this change was made in the same update that saw the removal of the Nuclear Winter game mode).

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I think short of paid shills, everyone hates Worlds.

Even the camp builders hate it because they can't ease camp building restrictions as much as they would have liked to do.

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I was excited about Worlds because I liked the idea of messing with infinite ammo, gravity, ragdolls etc, but then I learned that you can't carry over character stuff or earn S.C.O.R.E. in them. I understand why and I figured it'd be that way anyway, but I was still holding out hope. With there being no way to progress in Seasons, quests, or challenges then there's really no reason to use them outside of novelty for like, an hour.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Worlds was the attempt to mollify the people who asked "what happened to moddable servers that you said was part of your plan?" while also providing a way for Bethesda to continue getting suckers onto Fallout 1st.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Discospawn posted:

Characters you move into the world can't be moved back into other servers (public or private), and every month or so this temporary server will be deleted and replaced with a new server with new settings.

This has not been the case for me. I used an old character to go into Worlds to dick around for a few minutes, took it into adventure mode a few minutes later.

Progression doesn't track between worlds and adventure. Levels earned and poo poo collected stays in worlds, when you go back to adventure, you go back to whatever you were in adventure before.

Verify it with a spare character first, but I've gone back and forth. Or don't bother because it's a bigger letdown than nuclear winter.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This has not been the case for me. I used an old character to go into Worlds to dick around for a few minutes, took it into adventure mode a few minutes later.

Progression doesn't track between worlds and adventure. Levels earned and poo poo collected stays in worlds, when you go back to adventure, you go back to whatever you were in adventure before.

Verify it with a spare character first, but I've gone back and forth. Or don't bother because it's a bigger letdown than nuclear winter.
Are you sure you didn't just take a clone of your original character from Adventure mode back into Adventure? I guess it's a difference without distinction if you're saying you can swap back and forth but literally nothing you did in the Public World got saved to your character.

Sensenmann posted:

Even the camp builders hate it because they can't ease camp building restrictions as much as they would have liked to do.
The implementation was so bad for builders. The 'increased CAMP budget' slider only allows for +50% more CAMP supply, and the other 'eased restrictions' are still restrictive enough to prevent people's dream CAMPs. And of course, the biggest issue is that there's no setting for 'automatically unlock all CAMP blueprints,' so people who want to build still need to grind in Adventure mode for blueprints (and buy them at the Atomic Shop of course).

I was really doom & gloom when they announced Fallout Worlds, because I thought it was legitimately the kind of update the developers would release before closing down the game. It looks like that's not the case, it's just another example of a strangely un-focused release that doesn't address what the player community wants.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Discospawn posted:

Are you sure you didn't just take a clone of your original character from Adventure mode back into Adventure? I guess it's a difference without distinction if you're saying you can swap back and forth but literally nothing you did in the Public World got saved to your character.

Not a cloned character, but I just popped it into worlds for 5 minutes, looked around, left, went into adventure, realized it was still my old character, backed out, changed back to my 250~ character. On xbox.

To me, it's just a waste of time since nothing tracks back to adventure anyhow. No point in leveling up in worlds when it's going to disappear in a month or three anyhow.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Discospawn posted:

The implementation was so bad for builders. The 'increased CAMP budget' slider only allows for +50% more CAMP supply, and the other 'eased restrictions' are still restrictive enough to prevent people's dream CAMPs. And of course, the biggest issue is that there's no setting for 'automatically unlock all CAMP blueprints,' so people who want to build still need to grind in Adventure mode for blueprints (and buy them at the Atomic Shop of course).

People need to realize that the budget exists for stability reasons. Beth could easily triple or quadruple the budget if there is only one person on the world but the moment the engine has to render all of that from multiple POVs it all comes crashing down.

Two camps next to each other at the Whitespring are already tanking FPS on most systems so I'm really not sure why people thought a massive settlement would be possible on Worlds.

Besides, I've seen extremely impressive camps over the years and most of them where on the smaller side of things and actually felt like a part of the game world.

Most camps with a ton of atom shop items look rear end and out of place anyways.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
In all fairness, most camps have me wanting to chuck explosive bait into them.

I usually make rounds on the map trying to hit everyone's vending machines looking for plans, only to wind up looking at clusterfucks that would make the military proud. I'm not trying to spend 10 minutes finding your vending machine on the roof of a multi-platformed hovering shithole.

I have a vending machine next to my front door, when people come by I want them to find what they're looking for and not feel motivated to figure out glitchy ways to gently caress up my camp.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
What's even worse is people putting them in their shelters.

I've honestly nuked people for a lot less...

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Discospawn posted:

Fallout Worlds is a system with 2 main components:

1) Every month, there will be a new, separate server available for all players to join. That server will have different settings than the normal Adventure mode (settings that encourage building or PvP or just general wackiness), and you can create a new character or clone an Adventure character into the new, crazy world. Characters you move into the world can't be moved back into other servers (public or private), and every month or so this temporary server will be deleted and replaced with a new server with new settings. The general idea seems to be that this will be a 'for-fun-only' playspace where players can experiment without having to worry about progressing their character or conforming to the normal meta.

2) Private Servers created via Fallout 1st can now be customized by their creator, using a handful of slider options to change how their server works. However, just like with the temporary public servers above, characters can only be imported into these custom Private Worlds, and never exported back to the normal Adventure mode. The idea seems to be that players can create a more customized, private version of the game that they want to live in forever (essentially abandoning the public Adventure mode and committing themselves to an indefinite Fallout 1st subscription).

The player reception has been generally negative towards the update, as it has been seen as a way to distract players from the main game rather than fixing bugs and adding content to the primary game mode (and this change was made in the same update that saw the removal of the Nuclear Winter game mode).

Ah ok. I was debating trying fallout 76 since im starved for entertainment these days and figured at least exploring the map might be fun so i was confused by FALLOUT WORLDS!!

Thanks for the clarity

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have a vending machine next to my front door, when people come by I want them to find what they're looking for and not feel motivated to figure out glitchy ways to gently caress up my camp.

If i ever play i will keep this in mind.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rinkles posted:

Not quite as severe but I fell into that kind of trap with this game a few times. When you realize (or think, anyway that) the most efficient way of meeting some goal is also very boring, it can drain all the fun. And at least partially the always-online nature of the game is to blame; it creates opportunities for (rewarding) repetitive behavior that wouldn't otherwise exist. Which some might see as a fault in the player rather than the game, but that's just psychology. It's going to ruin the game for some, regardless.

You don't have to play. Resist the fomo. FO76 has been good since it came out, sure its lacked stuff for awhile. Just resist the fomo, it's all skins from fo4 anyway. The fomo hasn't been weaponized for the elder scrolls yet, give them 2 more years and the results will be devastating to the world.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

People have noticed that the 'Double Reward' Daily Ops didn't seem to be generating meaningful numbers for the rewards (e.g. they'd get their 2x multiplier for scrip and it would result in an odd number, implying they would've gotten half a scrip without the double rewards). Somebody from Bethesda replied to one of the Reddit posts:

Behtesda Community Manager posted:

Hey everyone!

I reached out to our Daily Ops team for clarity on this, I hope the way I explain this makes sense and offers some clarity. The 2X display is an abstraction. Nothing is mathematically doubled but on the first-time completion, you get 4 rolls (instead of 2) into the currency list, and on subsequent Daily completions, you get 2 rolls (instead of 1) into the currency list.
I think this means the 'Double Reward' weekend isn't actually doubling your rewards, but rather giving you twice the number of spins of RNG and selecting the better option for your results. This explains why the reward amounts are still always within the same range that they were before, and why some unlucky people are still receiving the minimum possible rewards during the event.

It's all quite bizarre.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thats a fuckin lol

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
According to a friend there is a Treasure Miner event going so quick reminder:

1) If you want to get rid of your caps, buy the medium pales. Statisically, they have the highest chance to give the new plans.

2) The ammo you can get when you open one is contextual, so make sure that you have the weapon equipped that you want the ammo for.

Runs until monday, so no need to rush anything.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
My camp consists of workbenches strewn in a rough semicircle. And that's it.

Building in Fallout 4 soured me on the whole system.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just don't like clusterfuck camps. Like, you have two camp slots. Maybe make one that's simple and straight forward, and use the second slot for building floating castles full of trinkets and trophies, but still put a vending machine in an obvious spot.

Server was weird this morning. Dropped a nuke for scorched earth, whole server showed up. All 4 of us. A lot more assaultrons in the silo too.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Presto posted:

My camp consists of workbenches strewn in a rough semicircle. And that's it.

Building in Fallout 4 soured me on the whole system.

I meanwhile, am a freak who did not sleep last night so I could work on my swamp trading post.

There's a very nice waterfall upstream a bit and you can get a great view from the covered bridge.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 18, 2021

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

I meanwhile, am a freak who did not sleep last night so I could work on my swamp trading post.

There's a very nice waterfall upstream a bit and you can get a great view from the covered bridge.

That's a very nice camp, great little bridge between the two buildings. You could replace the roofs with log cabin roofs for that oxidised copper Mire look.

How did you make the railing on the balcony? I can't get the vault railings to snap on to floors and most of the time they won't snap on to each other.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I might rebuild my camp today, it's currently farmhouse style. I need to leave the foundation over the lead extractor and walls around it, or find another lead deposit on not so mountainous ground.

When I first set up the camp, I didn't realize you could look through the windows and empty the lead extractor. Has to be a solid wall or poo poo will get poached.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Psychedelicatessen posted:

That's a very nice camp, great little bridge between the two buildings. You could replace the roofs with log cabin roofs for that oxidised copper Mire look.

How did you make the railing on the balcony? I can't get the vault railings to snap on to floors and most of the time they won't snap on to each other.

You can't. As far as I can tell, they don't autosnap to any kind of flooring. You just have to fiddle around until you get the angle right manually.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Will fall out 4 run ok? My graphics card only has 1.5 gigs of VRAM , the minimum is 2. The rest of my PC is pretty beefy and Ive got way more RAM than it recommends if that matters.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is the internet so negative about fallout 4?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Because Bethesda.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

It came out after New Vegas. That's a big one.

It also changed a lot of the RPG elements for the worse by removing skills and special/skill-checks, forcing every conversation to have four options no matter what and making speech checks % based like in FO3. The main story in the base game is also not fantastic, which is especially noticable when you reach the end of the main quest and get 1 out of 2 different endings. Some of the very first npcs you meet are flagged as essential, which sucks if you're the type of gamer that kills a random NPC to see how the game reacts.

The dlc is a mixed bag. There's two $5 dlcs that adds nothing but some new items to build in your workshops.
I'm not a fan of Automatron because it ruins random encounters, but a lot of people like it and crafting robot companions is pretty fun.
Vault-tec Workshop is also a $5 workshop dlc, but unlike the other two this one comes with a fun mini campaign about rebuilding Vault 88.
Far Harbor fixed a lot of the issues from the main game. There's special checks, there's perks for completing the story in different ways, there's better choices and consequences, there's new weapons for most characters. It's very good.
Unfortunately Nuka-World went back to repeating a lot of the issues from the base game, despite being a raider themed dlc.

And then there's the Creation Club. Not part of the season pass, this collection of very expensive skins and items (sometimes with 1 quest attached) is basically paid mods.

But also:

Taerkar posted:

Because Bethesda.

There's a lot of good things to say about Fallout 4, I personally find it a lot more fun to play than the older titles, but it's a shooter first and a roleplaying game second.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Baron Porkface posted:

Because it was pretty bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It also didn't seem to light the world on fire the same way FO3 and Skyrim did during their launches. Those games were big cultural phenomena. I don't doubt 4 sold more than 3, but everyone was talking about 3 when it came out, whilst 4 felt like just another release (idk, maybe because the Witcher 3 came out a few months earlier?)

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Baron Porkface posted:

The story of 3 and 4 was absolute dogshit.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

4 was also really boring. 3 was too, but I guess the setting was kind of novel to people in 2008 where it definitely wasn’t in 2015.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
A remake of NV with the tech of FO4 would be nice.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can't say I want Bethesda going over Obsidian's work and trying to pick the bones of nostalgia. They will undoubtedly leave you disappointed, if you remotely get your hopes beyond say, waist high (I'm not standing to get excited about it, let alone jumping for joy).

It would be nice if they handed it back over to Obsidian to remaster or whatever. Then you could probably get your hopes up a little, but that's not going to happen, they're busy with Outer Worlds 2. I don't think even papa Microsoft could put baby bethesda back in the crib with Obsidian.

I was one of the dumb pre-order 76 people too, thinking it would be good. Didn't have enough money for the bait & switch canvas bag deal, which itself was a great metaphor for the game.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 19, 2021

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Psychedelicatessen posted:

It came out after New Vegas. That's a big one.

It also changed a lot of the RPG elements for the worse by removing skills and special/skill-checks, forcing every conversation to have four options no matter what and making speech checks % based like in FO3. The main story in the base game is also not fantastic, which is especially noticable when you reach the end of the main quest and get 1 out of 2 different endings. Some of the very first npcs you meet are flagged as essential, which sucks if you're the type of gamer that kills a random NPC to see how the game reacts.

The dlc is a mixed bag. There's two $5 dlcs that adds nothing but some new items to build in your workshops.
I'm not a fan of Automatron because it ruins random encounters, but a lot of people like it and crafting robot companions is pretty fun.
Vault-tec Workshop is also a $5 workshop dlc, but unlike the other two this one comes with a fun mini campaign about rebuilding Vault 88.
Far Harbor fixed a lot of the issues from the main game. There's special checks, there's perks for completing the story in different ways, there's better choices and consequences, there's new weapons for most characters. It's very good.
Unfortunately Nuka-World went back to repeating a lot of the issues from the base game, despite being a raider themed dlc.

And then there's the Creation Club. Not part of the season pass, this collection of very expensive skins and items (sometimes with 1 quest attached) is basically paid mods.

But also:

There's a lot of good things to say about Fallout 4, I personally find it a lot more fun to play than the older titles, but it's a shooter first and a roleplaying game second.

Also poor performance and engine issues that made certain areas chug even on high end PCs. Some of these issues were present in Skyrim but unfixed. And of course all sorts of bugs/glitches/oddness that was never (officially) patched, and again, some of which were carried over from Skyrim.

The settlement system was a major letdown as well. There were a lot of limitations, poor implementation, bad UI, and in the end it was fairly pointless as you only needed to build the teleportation system. My second play-through I just set up a little house with crafting stations but otherwise ignored it. The whole thing felt like it was crammed in due to some Zenimax exec going "Kids these days like that Mindcrafting thing, put that in our game!"

At this point I have no faith in Bethesda Game Studios and will have zero interest in Starfield. Even Elder Scrolls VI will likely be crap as BGS refuses to ditch Creation Engine.

the panacea posted:

A remake of NV with the tech of FO4 would be nice.

Fallout 4: New Vegas is a thing but like a lot fan remakes will likely never be finished.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I can't say I want Bethesda going over Obsidian's work and trying to pick the bones of nostalgia. They will undoubtedly leave you disappointed, if you remotely get your hopes beyond say, waist high (I'm not standing to get excited about it, let alone jumping for joy).

It would be nice if they handed it back over to Obsidian to remaster or whatever. Then you could probably get your hopes up a little, but that's not going to happen, they're busy with Outer Worlds 2. I don't think even papa Microsoft could put baby bethesda back in the crib with Obsidian.

I am not really enthusiastic about Obsidian. The people responsible for making New Vegas what it was, good and bad, have long since departed the company. Judging from the lukewarm reactions to The Outer Worlds maybe give the Fallout brand to another studio.

A remaster should only be done if they really go through and fix up as many bugs/issues as possible and not just uprez the textures and call it a day.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Outer Worlds has great reviews. No game is flawless, but Outer Worlds is a good game and I'm excited to see what they do with the sequel.

Ill give the next Elder Scrolls a shot. I feel like Bethesda has a chance to shine under microsoft whereas zenimax was really pushing things on them and rushing releases. This is all conjecture though. Maybe their chance to shine is like polishing a turd. We'll see.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Outer worlds is a bad game and is worse than every bethesda game. What a pile of unfun crap.

F76 is fun if what you want to do is toot around exploring, looting, and killing. The setting and stories are interesting. What kills the game is it's performance issues which still persist. If those were fixed it would be an above average game.

I won't be buying Starfield or es6 at release unless they are universally praised. 3 months after when they are half price I will purchase them.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 19, 2021

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In short the internet is a place of wildly varying opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Bethesda also has a legion of anti-fans who will take every opportunity, real or imagined, to poo poo on the company. Usually in favor of Obsidian or CDprojekt Red, though with how Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk turned out, less so recently.