Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I wonder if there's a reason the people of Diamond City think it's Christmas? I checked the console system date and it's correct.

e: I'm really loving stupid. :doh: It's Christmas in game not in IRL life. I'm just used to stuff like this happening on the real dates (like in D/Generation and uhh some other games I'm sure, but can't remember rear end to mouth).

it's baffling when you walk around diamond city and the guards talk about how raiders are carving up the commonwealth like a christmas turkey. what's a turkey? what's christmas?? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

it's baffling when you walk around diamond city and the guards talk about how raiders are carving up the commonwealth like a christmas turkey. what's a turkey? what's christmas?? :confused:

Christmas would've been preserved in vaults. Turkeys maybe by someone the same way baseball and ice-hockey, as some kind of perversion.

Fallout Shelter had something Christmas-related so the first part can be canon, at least

E: I didnt mean sexual perversion. Then again, ...

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

thanks very much for the advice, i wondered why i could only really find violet and crimson around and i guess its because most people nuke the prime fissure site. i need to actually launch my own nuke at some point i just havent gotten around to collecting all the code pieces and figuring out how to decode them, i have all the other stuff you need.

i never seem to get enough high rad fluids, its always the major limiting factor on my flux crafting. maybe i will get the code pieces and blast the golf course.

i kinda want to try a build that uses mutations but idk if those are annoying like the low health builds are

You don't actually need the code pieces, the codes are the same for everyone and can be found online.

https://nukacrypt.com/

All you need is the keycard. Bring a second one, just in case you enter the code for the wrong silo. Happened to me on my first run. :D

I did the decryption part once, just so I knew how it all worked, but it's not required for a successful launch.

For high rad fluids, it's all RNG but I found that HRF often drops from bots. So if you nuke the Whitespring, make sure to kill all the bots as well. If you nuke Morgantown, pay Mama Dolces a visit.

For mutations, there is really no such thing as a "mutation build". Just use the ones that benefit you the most. There are a couple of bad ones but overall mutations are great.

I made a post or two about those in this thread, so check them out if you want more info.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Yeah, any negative effects of a mutation can usually be negated by the right perk cards. Make sure you lock in your mutations via the luck perk card (class freak, I think?), that way you don't accidentally remove a beneficial mutation while purging rads.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Wee Bairns posted:

Yeah, any negative effects of a mutation can usually be negated by the right perk cards. Make sure you lock in your mutations via the luck perk card (class freak, I think?), that way you don't accidentally remove a beneficial mutation while purging rads.

Starched Genes.

Class Freak is the one that lowers the penalties.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh, so you've never walked into Diamond City on December 25th in-game.

(Though that's far too narrow a window. When Sim Settlements rigs their plots for holidays the lights stay up all December long.)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sensenmann posted:

You don't actually need the code pieces, the codes are the same for everyone and can be found online.

https://nukacrypt.com/

All you need is the keycard. Bring a second one, just in case you enter the code for the wrong silo. Happened to me on my first run. :D

I did the decryption part once, just so I knew how it all worked, but it's not required for a successful launch.

For high rad fluids, it's all RNG but I found that HRF often drops from bots. So if you nuke the Whitespring, make sure to kill all the bots as well. If you nuke Morgantown, pay Mama Dolces a visit.

For mutations, there is really no such thing as a "mutation build". Just use the ones that benefit you the most. There are a couple of bad ones but overall mutations are great.

I made a post or two about those in this thread, so check them out if you want more info.

oh poo poo lmao ive been going crazy trying to find all the code pieces thank you for this, i have quite a lot of keycards from the scoreboard and blowing up enclave vertibots.

i guess with a mutation build i just need to reshuffle my special stats around, right now im mostly str/int with a pretty suboptimal split of other stuff because i didnt really understand how the levelling up system worked initially. i swap out cards a lot if i need more damage or to craft something but this is kind of my quality of life build:

it's not great but it lets me carry a lot of stuff and not have my gun wear out super fast and i swap out incisor for either bullet shield or the heavy gun reload perk if i am doing a daily op or a boss, or swap out the heavy gunner cards for equivalent slugger or gladiator ones if i want to do some melee.

but yeah i dont really have the luck to run class freak and starched genes so i need to either figure out how to empty my inventory more so i can save points on carry weight cards, or maybe just suck it up and have to swap around crafting cards more, so i can put more points in luck.

right now my best weapon is probably a two-shot, 25% faster fire rate gatling plasma. i have final word, foundations vengeance, and an anti-armor ultracite gatling, and a two-shot gatling gun, because i like to swap around a lot. I've got a furious plasma caster too which i really like aesthetically but it seems like it needs a slightly different build to do the best, it seems like its better in VATS than the other heavy guns kinda?

also as a completely unrelated complaint i really wish i could put the bone raider excavator paint on my other armour types since it looks extremely cool

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
So I'm trying to figure out my objectives for increasing my damage output with 2H melee with no power armor. I'm currently 95, using Oathbreaker until I can get the war glaive plan, because with the cold head it still does more damage than any other weapon I've found, even with its so-so legendary effects. This is my current build: https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=f4678b5&d=s42sm2sn2ss2se2pe2e00ej2c72cu2i44ib2a72aa2am2a41l71lt2pj0eo1&lp=x21xb0&m=h

No real explanation for the build beyond I didn't want to mess with Bloodied builds, and I have explosive perks because I like throwing grenades at things.

As I see it, the main things I need to do beyond any tweaks to my build are to get a better weapon and continue gambling for good legendary effects on my secret service armor. I think the secret service underarmor is supposed to be the gold standard for melee builds, but I'm using Enclave under armor with STR/PER(?) because it didn't cost bullion, and I need every scrap of gold I can find now for getting modifications for the armor and, eventually, the jet pack.

What should I be aiming for at this point? I recognize that 13 points of my build are tied up in perks to compensate for not wearing power armor, but I also couldn't see any obvious ways to gas up my damage output with those perk points, so I'm not sure how much I'm actually missing out on.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i launched my first nuke and made everyone mad cause i dropped it directly on the fissure site prime like the quest marker said to do and blew up everyone who was waiting for the scorchbeast event at the bunker

i kinda also wanted a bigger area to gather violet flux in, i am sorry to the fallout 76 community

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Honestly, I'm startled whenever a nuke falls anywhere other than FSP or Monongah. The other day someone nuked Morgantown and I fully clutched my imaginary pearls. "You can DO that?!"

E: Which is to say, they had it coming.,

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Morality_Police posted:

Honestly, I'm startled whenever a nuke falls anywhere other than FSP or Monongah. The other day someone nuked Morgantown and I fully clutched my imaginary pearls. "You can DO that?!"

E: Which is to say, they had it coming.,

yeah i was shocked when i went to whitespring one time and someone had nuked it, although i guess now it makes sense that htey wanted all the materials from the ghouls and robots.

i wish there wasnt a daily limit on how much gold bullion you can hand in, i have enough treasury bonds for the rest of the t-65 armor pieces but ive just got to wait like another 9 days to hand it all in. i'm having trouble styling out the hellcat arms and head with t-65 body and legs, i could just put the communist skin on i guess but i do like how the t-65 bits look.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

oh poo poo lmao ive been going crazy trying to find all the code pieces thank you for this, i have quite a lot of keycards from the scoreboard and blowing up enclave vertibots.

i guess with a mutation build i just need to reshuffle my special stats around, right now im mostly str/int with a pretty suboptimal split of other stuff because i didnt really understand how the levelling up system worked initially. i swap out cards a lot if i need more damage or to craft something but this is kind of my quality of life build:

it's not great but it lets me carry a lot of stuff and not have my gun wear out super fast and i swap out incisor for either bullet shield or the heavy gun reload perk if i am doing a daily op or a boss, or swap out the heavy gunner cards for equivalent slugger or gladiator ones if i want to do some melee.

but yeah i dont really have the luck to run class freak and starched genes so i need to either figure out how to empty my inventory more so i can save points on carry weight cards, or maybe just suck it up and have to swap around crafting cards more, so i can put more points in luck.

right now my best weapon is probably a two-shot, 25% faster fire rate gatling plasma. i have final word, foundations vengeance, and an anti-armor ultracite gatling, and a two-shot gatling gun, because i like to swap around a lot. I've got a furious plasma caster too which i really like aesthetically but it seems like it needs a slightly different build to do the best, it seems like its better in VATS than the other heavy guns kinda?

also as a completely unrelated complaint i really wish i could put the bone raider excavator paint on my other armour types since it looks extremely cool

Heavy Gunner/Melee work surprisingly well together since they all tap into very similar special stats. For Mutations, that's a bit problematic since Melee mutations cripple your HG performance, so don't go ham with them.
A no brainer is Carnivore, though. There is a lot of good food for Melee builds that ramps up damage by a not insignificant amount and there are carry weight buffs that help in PA.

If you go Carnivore, you can ditch Green Thumb as you don't get veggie benefits as Carnivore. 1 point for Luck. Plus, Butchers Bounty 3 is overkill. There are animals everywhere so BB1 is enough. 2 more points for Luck. Concentrated Fire is only good if you use a Plasma Caster, otherwise it's meh and since Vats drains Fusion Cores like mad it's best used on non PA builds anyways. On the other hand, if you slot in Electric Absorption as Legendary Perk you only need to eat some laser fire every now and again to refill the core.

Lifegiver is really not needed and you should swap it out for Fireproof. Much better choice.
Rejuvenated is Ok.

For Charisma, always play on a Team. More XP and your mutations, should you chose to get mutated, get a buff from team play if you slot in Strange in Numbers. Remove Lone Wanderer and swap in Strange in Numbers and Tenderizer. Tenderizer is a huge damage buff.

Intelligence, Power User can go once you use Electric Absorption. Even if you don't plan on using it, crafting or finding Fusion Cores is not hard so, imo, it's a waste in general. Slot in Demo Expert 2 for some more damage if you use explosive weapons.

With the 3 points we've freed up you now have room for Class Freak. Bloody Mess gets dropped to 1 and Starched Genes gets slotted in.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=f254d89&d=sb2sr1s31sq1p70p00eh2ek1cu2ce0ip2ic4s12ib1s72a72a01lt0ls2lu2l71s01sg2s20

Once you get some Legendary Perks going, the Specials in particular, you can add more perks.

I've dropped Bear Arms to 1 to make room for Blocker. The single most important defense perk.

If you find yourself overencumbered a lot you can always drop the HG perks down a bit to make room for Bear Arms 3 again.

Bandolier is there because all the HG ammo is heavy. If you go out with smaller amount of ammo and are fine with crafting in batches instead of loading up you can remove Bandolier again but, let's be honest, crafting small amounts is not a good idea because there is the Ammo Factory legendary perk that significantly increases the yield and since we can't swap LPs out for free you should only do that very rarely.

A Melee build, with a 1:1 Special loadout, would look something like this:

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=f254d89&d=sb2p70p00eh2ek1cu2ce0ip2ic4s12ib1s72a72a01lu2l71s01sg2s20se2s91ss0lg2lt0

I've chosen Iron Fist and Martial Artist because when it comes to Melee there is only one high damage route and that's unarmed. So a Power Fist, Gauntlet, Deathclaw or Mole Miner Gauntler.
If you want to go 1H or 2H drop IF and MA and slot in Gladiator/Slugger perks.

Under Luck, you want Ricochet as Melee build. I would also use Serendipity but you don't have enough points yet to get S3 and since I assume that you don't play low health Bloody Mess for some extra damage is probably better.

As for your VATS question, the Plasma Caster is indeed the only HG that's viable in VATS. Unfortunately, Furious is a garbage modifier for it. You'd think it would be good but Anti Armor or Quad is the way to go.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

So I'm trying to figure out my objectives for increasing my damage output with 2H melee with no power armor. I'm currently 95, using Oathbreaker until I can get the war glaive plan, because with the cold head it still does more damage than any other weapon I've found, even with its so-so legendary effects. This is my current build: https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=f4678b5&d=s42sm2sn2ss2se2pe2e00ej2c72cu2i44ib2a72aa2am2a41l71lt2pj0eo1&lp=x21xb0&m=h

No real explanation for the build beyond I didn't want to mess with Bloodied builds, and I have explosive perks because I like throwing grenades at things.

As I see it, the main things I need to do beyond any tweaks to my build are to get a better weapon and continue gambling for good legendary effects on my secret service armor. I think the secret service underarmor is supposed to be the gold standard for melee builds, but I'm using Enclave under armor with STR/PER(?) because it didn't cost bullion, and I need every scrap of gold I can find now for getting modifications for the armor and, eventually, the jet pack.

What should I be aiming for at this point? I recognize that 13 points of my build are tied up in perks to compensate for not wearing power armor, but I also couldn't see any obvious ways to gas up my damage output with those perk points, so I'm not sure how much I'm actually missing out on.

Remove Moving Target and Marathoner and slot in Adrenaline 5 instead. 6% for each kill, a max of 36% is a huge damage buff.

In Endurance, remove Ironclad and slot in Fireproof instead. The 30 DR/DE you get from it are completely meaningless in Secret Service armor. A full set is over 200 for each of the 3 resistances. Damage, Energy, Radiation. Adding another 30 on top of the first two is pointless.

And, as mentioned in my reply above, for Melee I'd honestly not bother with 1H or 2H. Unarmed is where it's at and a Power Fist or Gauntlet with Faster Swing Speed and, maybe, +1 in Strength is the top of the food chain when it comes to beating down mobs.

That's pretty much all you can do to increase your damage without going low health or using Legendary Perks. There are some really good ones for Melee but for now I'd focus on getting ~3 Legendary Specials to make room for more normal perks.

And just in case, a decent Bloodied Melee build is most likely tankier then a full health one because of the increase to Specials that Unyielding gives. Plus, poo poo dies much faster. ;)

So if you ever find yourself wanting to deal more damage, low health in Unyielding armor is the way to go. However, full health Melee is perfectly fine if you don't want to deal with low health. It's just not as strong.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Sensenmann posted:

I've chosen Iron Fist and Martial Artist because when it comes to Melee there is only one high damage route and that's unarmed. So a Power Fist, Gauntlet, Deathclaw or Mole Miner Gauntler.

This caught my attention. What makes Unarmed superior?

Edited to add: your reply to my above post popped up while I was typing this question. I guess I ought to give Bloodied a try. Thanks Professor Sensenmann! :science:

Morality_Police fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 1, 2022

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Morality_Police posted:

This caught my attention. What makes Unarmed superior?

Edited to add: your reply to my above post popped up while I was typing this question. I guess I ought to give Bloodied a try. Thanks Professor Sensenmann! :science:

One handed weapons have significantly less damage than an unarmed, and the speed doesn't really make up for it.

2 handed have slow as speeds, and usually not enough more damage to justify the slow speeds.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Sensenmann posted:

Heavy Gunner/Melee work surprisingly well together since they all tap into very similar special stats. For Mutations, that's a bit problematic since Melee mutations cripple your HG performance, so don't go ham with them.
A no brainer is Carnivore, though. There is a lot of good food for Melee builds that ramps up damage by a not insignificant amount and there are carry weight buffs that help in PA.

If you go Carnivore, you can ditch Green Thumb as you don't get veggie benefits as Carnivore. 1 point for Luck. Plus, Butchers Bounty 3 is overkill. There are animals everywhere so BB1 is enough. 2 more points for Luck. Concentrated Fire is only good if you use a Plasma Caster, otherwise it's meh and since Vats drains Fusion Cores like mad it's best used on non PA builds anyways. On the other hand, if you slot in Electric Absorption as Legendary Perk you only need to eat some laser fire every now and again to refill the core.

Lifegiver is really not needed and you should swap it out for Fireproof. Much better choice.
Rejuvenated is Ok.

For Charisma, always play on a Team. More XP and your mutations, should you chose to get mutated, get a buff from team play if you slot in Strange in Numbers. Remove Lone Wanderer and swap in Strange in Numbers and Tenderizer. Tenderizer is a huge damage buff.

Intelligence, Power User can go once you use Electric Absorption. Even if you don't plan on using it, crafting or finding Fusion Cores is not hard so, imo, it's a waste in general. Slot in Demo Expert 2 for some more damage if you use explosive weapons.

With the 3 points we've freed up you now have room for Class Freak. Bloody Mess gets dropped to 1 and Starched Genes gets slotted in.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=f254d89&d=sb2sr1s31sq1p70p00eh2ek1cu2ce0ip2ic4s12ib1s72a72a01lt0ls2lu2l71s01sg2s20

Once you get some Legendary Perks going, the Specials in particular, you can add more perks.

I've dropped Bear Arms to 1 to make room for Blocker. The single most important defense perk.

If you find yourself overencumbered a lot you can always drop the HG perks down a bit to make room for Bear Arms 3 again.

Bandolier is there because all the HG ammo is heavy. If you go out with smaller amount of ammo and are fine with crafting in batches instead of loading up you can remove Bandolier again but, let's be honest, crafting small amounts is not a good idea because there is the Ammo Factory legendary perk that significantly increases the yield and since we can't swap LPs out for free you should only do that very rarely.

A Melee build, with a 1:1 Special loadout, would look something like this:

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=f254d89&d=sb2p70p00eh2ek1cu2ce0ip2ic4s12ib1s72a72a01lu2l71s01sg2s20se2s91ss0lg2lt0

Under Luck, you want Ricochet as Melee build. I would also use Serendipity but you don't have enough points yet to get S3 and since I assume that you don't play low health Bloody Mess for some extra damage is probably better.

As for your VATS question, the Plasma Caster is indeed the only HG that's viable in VATS. Unfortunately, Furious is a garbage modifier for it. You'd think it would be good but Anti Armor or Quad is the way to go.

oh dang thank you. shame to hear about the furious plasma caster not being great, it definitely doesnt perform as well as my other guns, i just wasnt sure if it was cause i wasnt perk'd out for it.

i set up the build you suggested and got scaly skin, carnivore, speed demon, and plague walker from a vendor cause they sounded cool and like they wouldn't mess up my heavy guns too much. speed demon is definitely super fun and idk if i can go back to life without it.

i also guess i never properly read the blocker perk, i assumed it was related to melee blocking. which i guess it is, but not in the sense i thought.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

hahaha holy poo poo y'all weren't kidding about Unarmed

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i wish unarmed worked with power armour. i dont want to give up my cool robot suit and carry weight

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

PA with 2H melee (e.g. the plasma glaive) is very good in my experience, there is some goofy Bethesda Math with power attacking with PA/2h weapon.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

oh dang thank you. shame to hear about the furious plasma caster not being great, it definitely doesnt perform as well as my other guns, i just wasnt sure if it was cause i wasnt perk'd out for it.

i set up the build you suggested and got scaly skin, carnivore, speed demon, and plague walker from a vendor cause they sounded cool and like they wouldn't mess up my heavy guns too much. speed demon is definitely super fun and idk if i can go back to life without it.

i also guess i never properly read the blocker perk, i assumed it was related to melee blocking. which i guess it is, but not in the sense i thought.

Marsupial is also great.

As for Blocker, most people seem to think that you need to either be actively blocking or use a Melee weapon for it to work. That's not how this works. It's a passive perk that works as long as it's equipped. It also stacks with Dodgy in Agility, if you have room for it. although Dodgy is best used in PA or low health builds. In PA, why would you care about AP drain? You are in a tank. As low health, you have enough AP to offset the drain.

Your Plasma Caster is not bad but Furious is a waste here because the PC has a high enough base damage that there is no real benefit to gain from the Furious stacks. I use a Quad with Faster Fire Rate in my non PA Heavy build and that thing is an absolute monster when it comes to headshotting mobs. Downside is that it really needs VATS to shine so it's not particularly great in PA when you don't have a way to deal with the AP drain.

Flesh Forge posted:

PA with 2H melee (e.g. the plasma glaive) is very good in my experience, there is some goofy Bethesda Math with power attacking with PA/2h weapon.

PA has a hidden power attack bonus that should work with both 1H and 2H.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Christianity of some form survived, it just doesn't come up much aside from cursing. But there's like the guy in Rivet City and the All Faiths chapel in 4. It just never gets explored outside Honest Hearts.

Still bitter Bethesda didn't have like a remnant Catholic church with literal ghouls in charge in 4. Cowardice.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

drat, i need to get marsupial. I wasnt sure if the int loss from it would make me lose perk card slots or not. i guess its an easy int loss to offset with class freak anyway.

i got a vampire minigun and am trying out using the shredder and it's really fun. the only downside is I need to change either it or my gatling gun to the prime receiver so I can stock up one type of ammo while having the other empty to use the shredder. I can't tell if the gatling gun is better with the prime receiver or the speedy receiver.

ive been working on my enclave building themed camp

the upstairs is pretty much empty right now, i need to free up some camp space so i can split it into rooms and put down more decorations. I have quite a lot of plants on the far side of the base by the water, so i think that is taking up a lot of my space allowance.

ive tried putting the PA rack in a billion different places and it always ends up glitchy and weird. half the time i try to get in my PA it bugs out and I just get stuck in place till the 60 seconds runs out and my armour gets recalled to the inventory.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

drat, i need to get marsupial. I wasnt sure if the int loss from it would make me lose perk card slots or not. i guess its an easy int loss to offset with class freak anyway.

i got a vampire minigun and am trying out using the shredder and it's really fun. the only downside is I need to change either it or my gatling gun to the prime receiver so I can stock up one type of ammo while having the other empty to use the shredder. I can't tell if the gatling gun is better with the prime receiver or the speedy receiver.

ive been working on my enclave building themed camp

the upstairs is pretty much empty right now, i need to free up some camp space so i can split it into rooms and put down more decorations. I have quite a lot of plants on the far side of the base by the water, so i think that is taking up a lot of my space allowance.

ive tried putting the PA rack in a billion different places and it always ends up glitchy and weird. half the time i try to get in my PA it bugs out and I just get stuck in place till the 60 seconds runs out and my armour gets recalled to the inventory.

The loss or gain from any mutation is never subtracted or added from / to your perk loadout, it only affects your specials under the, well, Specials tab in your pipboy. It would otherwise completely break the game. For example, during a season I run with 76 Intelligence. I'm not sure there are enough perks to even fill that. lol

Prime is always better. Besides, 5mm is practically weightless so if you don't want to Prime one you can always just stash the ammo prior to a Melee DO.

As for the PA rack, make sure that you can walk around it in PA. They changed something about the hitbox with the last patch and I got stuck at my PA station that's been in the same damned place for nearly 2 years.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah if you're at the point where you're doing that without conscious thought, that's great, I am super not interested in that kind of effort. Nor collecting the gear and consumables to power it. Everything but bosses all explodes essentially instantly for three completely different builds I run (shredder, commando, 2-shot auto GL) and I don't feel like "more damage" is meaningful for any of them :shrug:

There was a patch a couple years ago that made every enemy a frustrating bullet sponge, and that's when I stopped playing. Did they change that?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It has never felt like that for me and I have what are supposedly bad builds. Level 100 super mutants die in one VATS burst or an immeasurably brief moment of shredder grinding or a plasma glaive power attack to the face :shrug:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Sensenmann posted:

The loss or gain from any mutation is never subtracted or added from / to your perk loadout, it only affects your specials under the, well, Specials tab in your pipboy. It would otherwise completely break the game. For example, during a season I run with 76 Intelligence. I'm not sure there are enough perks to even fill that. lol

Prime is always better. Besides, 5mm is practically weightless so if you don't want to Prime one you can always just stash the ammo prior to a Melee DO.

As for the PA rack, make sure that you can walk around it in PA. They changed something about the hitbox with the last patch and I got stuck at my PA station that's been in the same damned place for nearly 2 years.

that's good to hear about the mutations, i'll be a little more bold in messing around with them now that i know i wont lose perk slots.

i moved the power armor rack forward about two feet and now it looks much worse and is kind of in the way but at least i dont glitch out now 9/10

i wanted to ask which legendary special card i should go for first? i just hit 150 so i have a new slot. right now i have ammo factory at rank 2, master infiltrator (i could probably get rid of it but i like not swapping out cards to unlock stuff), electric absorption, and one blank slot. the Rads card seems convenient but also I always have 3000 radaway despite my attempts to sell it when i can, so idk which special would benefit most from extra perk points.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Flesh Forge posted:

It has never felt like that for me and I have what are supposedly bad builds. Level 100 super mutants die in one VATS burst or an immeasurably brief moment of shredder grinding or a plasma glaive power attack to the face :shrug:

Neat. I should get back into it, I've replayed 4 and New Vegas dozens of times over the last couple years

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There are definitely some bad gear/build combos but there's so many easy mode combos, give us some idea of what you want to do and as you can see from the last few pages people will trip over each other trying to give you buld advice and gifts.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I've returned to the game after 2yrs. Nice to see some fixes and content changes, although not very many. I missed seasons 3 to 8, and the aliens events (argh).

I've managed to rediscover a way to build large water purifiers anywhere and merge/stack them again after these got fixed, but seems to be very specific to one spot. My camp has like 40 going on my roof. Lol.

Any body here know any working method of merge/stacking camp food plants? I am so tired of the terrible boundary box collisions on these loving melon, corn and gourd plants.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

that's good to hear about the mutations, i'll be a little more bold in messing around with them now that i know i wont lose perk slots.

i moved the power armor rack forward about two feet and now it looks much worse and is kind of in the way but at least i dont glitch out now 9/10

i wanted to ask which legendary special card i should go for first? i just hit 150 so i have a new slot. right now i have ammo factory at rank 2, master infiltrator (i could probably get rid of it but i like not swapping out cards to unlock stuff), electric absorption, and one blank slot. the Rads card seems convenient but also I always have 3000 radaway despite my attempts to sell it when i can, so idk which special would benefit most from extra perk points.

I'd go with a Special first. It doesn't really matter which one since you can swap points around on the loadout machine but I'd focus on increasing Agility so you can have Adrenaline at rank 5.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Sensenmann posted:

I'd go with a Special first. It doesn't really matter which one since you can swap points around on the loadout machine but I'd focus on increasing Agility so you can have Adrenaline at rank 5.

thanks! i went with agi because adrenaline did seem like my most pressing concern.

i wish the chainsaw worked the same as the minigun shredder so I didnt have to worry about picking up 5mm or getting it as a quest reward and having to dump it.

i did enough moonshine jamborees to get my raider rep to max, now im torn whether to finish buying my t-65 set (im just missing one arm and the helmet) or buy the gauss minigun. i am kinda jonesin for a new heavy weapon to mess around with. the cryolater, broadsider, harpoon gun, and the explosive heavy weapons in general feel kinda lovely. they also throw everything all over the place which makes looting kind of inconvenient.

although i am tempted by the plasma rockets for the hellfire missile launcher, i just dont know if its worth the bullion vs the gauss minigun or rest of the t-65

also the atomic shop should sell me the PA skins i want instead of a bunch of identical bullshit for the CAMP. i cant believe how bad bethesda is at taking my money.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

also the atomic shop should sell me the PA skins i want instead of a bunch of identical bullshit for the CAMP. i cant believe how bad bethesda is at taking my money.
Initially I thought their MTX strategy was a botched attempt to generate FOMO, but after everything else I can't rule out the possibility that it's due to some accidentally baked in system limitations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

thanks! i went with agi because adrenaline did seem like my most pressing concern.

i wish the chainsaw worked the same as the minigun shredder so I didnt have to worry about picking up 5mm or getting it as a quest reward and having to dump it.

i did enough moonshine jamborees to get my raider rep to max, now im torn whether to finish buying my t-65 set (im just missing one arm and the helmet) or buy the gauss minigun. i am kinda jonesin for a new heavy weapon to mess around with. the cryolater, broadsider, harpoon gun, and the explosive heavy weapons in general feel kinda lovely. they also throw everything all over the place which makes looting kind of inconvenient.

although i am tempted by the plasma rockets for the hellfire missile launcher, i just dont know if its worth the bullion vs the gauss minigun or rest of the t-65

I used an instigating flechette harpoon gun with my HW PA setup for a while. Not the greatest weapon but kinda hilarious for how you'd end up with more ammo than you started.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

This has also puzzled me. Wouldn't they make more money if everything was available all at once? I don't get having the tiny catalog available at a time, but then, I'm coming from Path of Exile and their expansive shop. Of course, they get by entirely on microtransactions, and Bethesda is Bethesda, so they have a few other revenue streams, I suppose.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Morality_Police posted:

This has also puzzled me. Wouldn't they make more money if everything was available all at once? I don't get having the tiny catalog available at a time, but then, I'm coming from Path of Exile and their expansive shop. Of course, they get by entirely on microtransactions, and Bethesda is Bethesda, so they have a few other revenue streams, I suppose.

Fomo.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it seems dumb cause i only get retroactive fomo from it. i wish id bought the astronaut PA that was in the store when i first got the game, but i held out cause expected something cooler to rotate in. it hasnt yet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

it seems dumb cause i only get retroactive fomo from it. i wish id bought the astronaut PA that was in the store when i first got the game, but i held out cause expected something cooler to rotate in. it hasnt yet.

The Captain Cosmos skin?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Flesh Forge posted:

There are definitely some bad gear/build combos but there's so many easy mode combos, give us some idea of what you want to do and as you can see from the last few pages people will trip over each other trying to give you buld advice and gifts.

I want to shoot things with a Handmade Rifle. Preferably bloodied.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Complete your armor first.

Cryolator is a gimmick weapon you can use as support during Queen or Earle fights and freeze them but that's about it.

Broadsider can be fun but it needs to be Quad for maximum fun. Also, it's worth pointing out that the Broadsider deals less damage with VATS crits then it does with normal hits. It's bugged.

Biggest upside of the Broadsider is how easy it is to farm ammo during DOs. All those cannonballs can be turned in at the ammo machine for a lot of points.

A Flechette Harpoon Gun is very nice. Again, needs to be Quad for maximum fun. Explosive would be nice but that can no longer drop. If you find one in a player Vendor for cheap, buy it before the seller realizes their mistake.

I say Quad is needed for fun just because the mag size, well, not a lot without. lol

If you go the Gauss Mini route keep in mind that 2EC weapons of any variety should always be primed. The crafting yield for normal 2EC is something around 15 (without perks), so it's not a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Chamale posted:

I want to shoot things with a Handmade Rifle. Preferably bloodied.

Bloodied builds are easy enough and the Handmade Rifle means it's Commando time.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76/character?v=1&s=5f34bc6&d=sb2s01pi2pp2ph2pg2p00po1eh2cu2ic4ir2ar2an2ao0a04lu2l71ce0li0s12

Pretty much something like this.

For armor, Unyielding. Armor type doesn't really matter since you should be in stealth all the time anyways but Secret Service is the best overall. BoS armor has slightly better ballistic resistance, I think.

A good Legendary Perk to pick for a Stealth Commando is Follow Through. Extra damage is always nice.

I would suggest to go for 3-4 Legendary Special Perks to get more room for additional perks. Strength should be a bit higher to slot in Blocker, just in case you get spotted and beat up.

Intelligence, Agility and Luck should be as close to 15 as possible. Luck for the Crit perks and Intelligence for the XP. Agility to get Action Boy in there. AP regen is good and you want it.

For Mutations, Adrenal Reaction for more damage at low health, Marsupial for the Jump height, Speed Demon so you reload faster and might not need Ground Pounder, Bird Bones to reduce fall speed. Scaly Skin for more DR.

Note that a Fixer is definitely the better weapon. Not only does it hit a bit harder it also comes with a Stealth Bonus.
The speed bonus it provides can be safely ignored, Nerd Rage and Speed Demon cap you out on that front.

If you want to ditch the sneak perk you can go for Covert Scout armor.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 4, 2022