Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Morality_Police posted:

I have no idea what weapon this would be, and I only half want you to tell me, because the mental image I'm coming up with in my head is really good.

it's the shredder minigun, hands down the funniest way to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Morality_Police posted:

Oh poo poo, have I won Fallout? Hey fellas! I won Fallout! I did it!

you know thinking about it every "modern" fallout ends with the main character having the option to completely destroy, usually by nuke, one or more of the main factions (broken steel, lonesome road, the main ending to fallout 4)

so yeah if you nuked morganstown or whatever it, you've won 76

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm sort of at that endgame / done everything point and I just log into to do SCORE challenges because its something to do for 30 mins everyday. My goal right now is to build a blueprint for a penis shaped tower with turrets on top that I can drop at workshops around the map. Currently working on a brick red mushroom tip.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is the hellstorm missile launcher any good? i got the plan today so i can get legendary ones, im wondering if its worth spending money on the upgrade plans for it or just saving for the gauss minigun. i finished off my t-65 set w some of the bonus gold from the scoreboard thing, so now I don't have anything specific planned to spend gold on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In my experience it is not. I have a dedicated explosives/HW character and it's terrible.
e: I have not tried the plasma oriented version since they buffed energy damage but I don't think it helped enough to make it good, let me look.
e: in the most generous perk setup I could give it (in PA, Stabilized, rank 3 HG/Expert HG/Master HG, Explosives 5) it was about as good as Broadsider. Not practical to operate this way because you have to give up weight reduction perks unless you micromanage your inventory better than I do.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 9, 2022

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Morality_Police posted:

This has raised a more general question for me about 76...what does one DO with tens of thousands of caps?
The only real endgame Todd intended was making silly CAMPs and playing dress up, which means grinding/paying for cosmetics in the MTX store. He knew it was enough to support an entire game because spent the majority of Fallout 4's development playing Minecraft.

To answer the question up-thread of what purpose caps serve during endgame: you can use caps to fast travel to vendors to buy food for daily challenges, rare clothes or bulk materials to build silly CAMPs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It would be interesting if they made it possible for players to pacify the wasteland, making a server-wide win condition. Make it so that players can work together to found settlements, that'll be populated by NPCs. Of course, that doesn't work particularly well with low-level players joining in.

In Far Cry 3 it was possible to remove all the bandits from the north island, making it into a tropical vacation simulator. Of course, that's a single-player game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

you know thinking about it every "modern" fallout ends with the main character having the option to completely destroy, usually by nuke, one or more of the main factions (broken steel, lonesome road, the main ending to fallout 4)

so yeah if you nuked morganstown or whatever it, you've won 76

That's also true of the very first Fallout! Or is :thejoke:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You don't completely destroy any faction in lonesome road

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

That's also true of the very first Fallout! Or is :thejoke:

no, I'm not very familiar with the pre-bethesda games so I appreciate the information!

@gaius: you get the point. you can bomb the long 15, or dry wells. the point is having the opportunity to bomb a faction base and then pick through the wreckage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

fallout 3 also lets you nuke megaton

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I'd just be happy with camp growable rare plants or something basic like a scaled up super robot boss to fight, but they can't seem to get their poo poo together.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fallout 1 you nuke the Master's bunker. Fallout 2 the oil rig doesn't come with an included nuke so you blow up their reactor instead.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

smh that nobody mentioned using the Nucleus' submarine nukes to blow up the children of atom at the end of far harbor

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well no, you're supposed to shoot them at far harbor actually

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
The real Endgame is having ALL your perk cards be animated.. :colbert:

Rest of the endgame is farming complete sets of SS, Covert Scout or BoS. Also vendor hopping to get the 2-3 plans you're missing and stalking the Scanvenger Trader / Responder Bot for the rare apparel.

And no, there is no real cash sink. Buying Bulk from bots or Serum Recipes is pretty much it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sensenmann posted:

A Flechette Harpoon Gun is very nice. Again, needs to be Quad for maximum fun. Explosive would be nice but that can no longer drop. If you find one in a player Vendor for cheap, buy it before the seller realizes their mistake.

I say Quad is needed for fun just because the mag size, well, not a lot without. lol

I have a QE90 Harpoon gun, and it's every bit as dirty and hilarious as you'd expect. It hits like a pre-nerf explosive shotgun, takes all the cool PA heavy weapon perks (Armor pierce on a shotgun!), and generally just hits like a dumptruck.

If you like explosives and don't mind having to slot in Ordinance Express, a TS/25 Automatic grenade launcher is pretty much the king of dirty fun. Demo Expert, Grenadier, Fireproof (you WILL kill yourself otherwise), and go nuts. Bonus points, if you use VATS, the grenades will arc into your target, regardless of how far away they get.

I'm taking a break from the game until The Pitt releases, but here's hoping it's not the sad wet fart the entire BoS arc was.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I like the 2 shot auto GL a lot, it's a little bit expensive to keep ammo in it for full time use but not as bad as it used to be, since they made everything have a high chance of dropping ammo for your current weapon. Note that there are some baller hand-tossed grenades too like the nuka grenade that aren't too impractical to make a bunch of.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I like the 2 shot auto GL a lot, it's a little bit expensive to keep ammo in it for full time use but not as bad as it used to be, since they made everything have a high chance of dropping ammo for your current weapon. Note that there are some baller hand-tossed grenades too like the nuka grenade that aren't too impractical to make a bunch of.

Yeah, it's deffo not a daily driver weapon, making 500 grenades per play session is cancerous as hell, but for some of the random events that pop up, like Distant Thunder, it's hilarious to just carpet bomb the entire mission and complete it in 15 seconds.

Also TS/Vats Crit/Faster Reload MIRV Fat Man is amazing in every way. Shame about the ammo weight.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The treasure hunter events are another good way to burn through caps, if you buy empty pails at rail stations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Played for a couple hours, got to level 10. Man, the sound design is noticeably better than in Fallout 4, and I'd forgotten that. Guns sound punchier, and the shotgun echoes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

F76 had a 12 hour unplanned outage last night apparently? immense yikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjVd9pv9aEk

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Key Points: the game still runs on HTML held over from Morrowind, and writing a saucy note is as Sisyphean of a task as moving a bush in Destiny 1.

Todd, you magnificent bastard, you've done it again!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Legacy fixes
:getin:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Legacy fixes
:getin:

"We just have to figure out how we can fix them without breaking everything else first"

There won't be legacy fixes outside of upping the gear level cap to 100 and making damage scaling exponential from levels 51 to 100.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I love that the accidentally buffed legacy damage at some point

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I love that the accidentally buffed legacy damage at some point

Twice, even. First with the fix to how explosive legendary weapons calculate their damage and then with the fix to poor energy weapon scaling that's been in the game since Fallout 4

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I made a camp next to the Charleston Fire Station. Whenever I log in, I can collect 500 pounds of lead weights and turn them into 300 bullets for my handmade rifle.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

a couple of other good spots: the monorail elevator (inside the cars themselves at various places) and lucky hole mine have a very large amount of lead between them, take your excavator PA for the mine.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Flesh Forge posted:

a couple of other good spots: the monorail elevator (inside the cars themselves at various places) and lucky hole mine have a very large amount of lead between them, take your excavator PA for the mine.

Sadly, mining ore requires tons and tons of acid to smelt it into usable lead for bullets. Farming up tin cans and weights is probably better. Acid can be a pain to get too.

All 3 of the nuke silos have identical weight rooms, I like to clear all 3 out then loot the weights at the fire station and so on. Usually net around 400-500 lead a run.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wendigos drop a bunch of acid each, aside from regular spawns of them if you go along for any Earle run you will have acid coming out of your ears, even if you're in trash gear yourself and aren't a DPS superstar. But yeah the nuke silos have tons of lead in them too, good info. The Sludge Works, Blood Eagle camp, also has a bunch of lead weights for easy pickup.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The workshop at Hemlock Holes has three acid deposits, so it pays to capture it early and build the extractors. 30 acid every trip back to check the collectors adds up.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Honestly, I'd just run a bunch of Uplink DOs to farm ammo.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sensenmann posted:

Honestly, I'd just run a bunch of Uplink DOs to farm ammo.

Yeah this is how I stay rich in Ultracite Fusion Cores. Just run the Daily Op however you want then equip the Prime Gatling Laser for the boss fight/rewards and I get 2-4 cores per run.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well yeah since they got a lot more generous with ammo drops for equipped weapon and especially since they added AOE looting it makes a lot more sense to do that for practically all weapons anyway. it's a little bit stingy for 40mm grenades (2 per kill) but all my other ammo types, no problem.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Next time I play this game, I'm doing an unarmed build. I spend too much time looking for ammo. I just did the final Steel Dawn quest and I had two guns in good condition break while mowing down the monotonous pile of enemies.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Chamale posted:

Next time I play this game, I'm doing an unarmed build. I spend too much time looking for ammo. I just did the final Steel Dawn quest and I had two guns in good condition break while mowing down the monotonous pile of enemies.

The Steel Reign quests also gives you a very nice three star power fist with increased damage on every hit, 40% power attack damage and +1 STR.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Facebreaker would be so much better as Faster Swing Speed instead of Power Attack damage but it's good enough.

As for Gun Condition, Gunsmith 5 helps a lot. If there is room for it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Made a new character and the game is actually fun now. Just running around punching everyone to death, with grenades for large groups of enemies. The Elusive Crane got me vampire knuckles with bonus power attack damage, and I can kill most enemies by sprinting at them and throwing a single punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Chamale posted:

I usually play melee or unarmed until I build up a big stockpile of heavy ammo. Then I'll switch over to a gun and burn through it all.