Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Werix posted:

That was kind of the brotherhood explanation I had thought was coming, that the West Coast OG brotherhood communicated with some other military remnants on the east coast.

Its the only plausible explanation. Now we can see if Bethesda does anything interesting with it, like them having their own ideologies by being remote.

They won't. I expect white knight Brotherhood, but guess we'll see.

Dont worry they are probably dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If there were brotherhood units in West Virginia within the first years of the faction's inception why the hell would Lyons need to launch a cross country crusade to take back DC?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Arcsquad12 posted:

If there were brotherhood units in West Virginia within the first years of the faction's inception why the hell would Lyons need to launch a cross country crusade to take back DC?

They fell apart or got destroyed or something. :zpatriot:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dont be mean to me posted:

They fell apart or got destroyed or something. :zpatriot:

Even then, using a functional communications satellite, even if it's only for a few years, is such a monumental strategic asset it's a wonder any organized factions can stand up to the BOS. The NCR and Legion were ready to annihilate themselves over a hydroelectric dam, can you imagine what the brotherhood could do with long range radio contact to any surviving US Army units with access to a radio tower?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
What kind of military installation would the BoS have been able to communicate with that wouldn't already be communicating with the enclave? I mean sounds like there's potential for a cool backstory there but somehow I can't imagine Bethesda putting in enough work to have it all make sense i.e. explaining how the BoS wins over a military group on the other coast, then takes the time to change their insignias everywhere, then they leave their shelter to die, all prior to the events of 76 which is already super early on the timeline.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Werix posted:

They won't. I expect white knight Brotherhood, but guess we'll see.

They weren't the white knight brotherhood back then, they were the "hide in a bunker and cry" brotherhood that enjoyed trolling the wasteland survivors by telling them they'll be let inside if they could just go find some technology in an irradiated research facility

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
So Lyons had long detailed instructions on exactly how to draw their logo, make their uniforms, and that they need to spray paint it on everything.

West Virginia people who literally just survived the apocalypse, being radicalized via CB Radio. No wonder they all died.

Awful.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moose-Alini posted:

So Lyons had long detailed instructions on exactly how to draw their logo, make their uniforms, and that they need to spray paint it on everything.

West Virginia people who literally just survived the apocalypse, being radicalized via CB Radio. No wonder they all died.

Awful.

They all died gathering parts for Liberty Prime

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This could've been a good opportunity for Bethesda to carve out a new faction to fill a similar role. But, alas.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I was kinda hoping it'd turn out to be a bunch of guys who came up with the name independently, because after the bombs fall of course you have to have a cool name for your survivalist group, and the Brotherhood of Steel? That sounds badass! Nobody's gonna gently caress with the Brotherhood of Steel! It was always a longshot though, the second the Brotherhood showed up in the notes we knew it was going to be this.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Do you guys think they have buy the "west virginia" song rights for the game?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even then, using a functional communications satellite, even if it's only for a few years, is such a monumental strategic asset it's a wonder any organized factions can stand up to the BOS. The NCR and Legion were ready to annihilate themselves over a hydroelectric dam, can you imagine what the brotherhood could do with long range radio contact to any surviving US Army units with access to a radio tower?

It's not even that great an asset when a high powered AM radio can shout literally halfway across the country. During WW2 there was a tower in like Kansas that could broadcast cleanly coast to coast.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Eiba posted:

I mean, not to defend Bethesda- I'm not preordering and going to wait for some news of how buggy it is before I get this game- but honestly considering their games I fully expect there to be horrible game-ruining bugs in the game until like the day before release. If there was nothing catastrophically wrong with the game, it'd be out already.

That is entirely unsurprising and not in a "gently caress bethesda" way but in a :geno: way. Latching on to the catastrophic bug reports as evidence this will be buggy poo poo comes off as looking for something to get outraged about.

It's entirely plausible that this game will be a broken buggy mess on release, but the fact that it's a broken buggy mess over a month before release doesn't really seem like that big a deal to me.

I think people that already want to hate the game are using this as fuel to reaffirm that hatred. Having game destroying bugs in a closed beta isn't uncommon. As long as they fix the worst by the open beta and most by release it'll be no worse than any other major release.

I'm giving Bethesda until the 23rd. If people are still losing quest progress on logout or their stashed items when they move their CAMP, the really bad fun killing bugs, then at that time I will join my voice to the chorus of "gently caress Bethesda".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't see how this results in anything other than a shaggy dog story for the Appalachian BOS. They've never been heard from before, and probably won't be again. Either they break away from the BOS and make the BOS's involvement pointless, or they remain the BOS and get slaughtered by the psychotic Vault 76 serial killers. In which case, why bring the BOS back if you're not going to do anything interesting with them? If FO76 is saying that a comms satellite let the BOS set up shop all over america, it invalidates pretty much everything we've known about the BOS until this point. Who cares if the NCR massacred the west coast BOS? They're everywhere? Why would Lyons travel across the country to liberate DC if Appalachian BOS is right there? West Coast BOS crash lands in Chicago? No problem, Maxson's radio network set up an outpost there 120 years earlier.

Also, it's not like the Brotherhood of Steel became techno-monks overnight. Maxson establishing a country-wide army cult with paladins and knights and squires a mere month after the Great War? How many people who aren't James Patterson or Nora Roberts do you know who can write an entire book in a month? Maxson must have had a team of army aides ghostwriting the Codex for him to get it done that fast.

It's a flimsy justification to cram the BOS into 76 so they can reuse assets without realizing what a gaping hole it gouges into setting consistency.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 17, 2018

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

SwitchbladeKult posted:

As long as they fix the worst by the open beta and most by release it'll be no worse than any other major release.

This is me. Reading that big ol' bug list didn't make me drive to Gamestop and take my five spot back.

(Gas is expensive and I hate going to Gamestop)

...But if I play the beta and my stash gets deleted when I move my camp, there's nothing short of an act of god that will convince me to slap another sixty bucks on 76.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tei posted:

Do you guys think they have buy the "west virginia" song rights for the game?

Probably even though it’s a cover, the original is 47 years old, so it’s not in the public domain yet and I’m sure they wouldn’t want to spark some kind of legal battle over it. Better and cheaper to just pay for the rights.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Azhais posted:

They weren't the white knight brotherhood back then, they were the "hide in a bunker and cry" brotherhood that enjoyed trolling the wasteland survivors by telling them they'll be let inside if they could just go find some technology in an irradiated research facility

Yeah, by do something different I meant do something different from Bethesda's depiction of the Brotherhood starting with 3, not do something different from who the West Coast Brotherhood were at the time.

To be fair, the Fallout 3 depiction of the Brotherhood was well explained, and had some decent juxtaposition with the Outcasts. Some of the most fun I had with modded Fallout 3 was a mod that let you fully join the Outcasts and made them a faction beyond folks you just gave technology to. Though Maxson's Synth hating Space Marines are more in line with what I'd imagine the West Coast would have become had NCR not kicked their asses.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Am I alone in thinking the Brotherhood of Space Marines direction Bethesda went in for FO4 was really dumb? It feels to me like they did it just to try to appeal to edgy 15 year olds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Am I alone in thinking the Brotherhood of Space Marines direction Bethesda went in for FO4 was really dumb? It feels to me like they did it just to try to appeal to edgy 15 year olds.

It's dumb in the sense that they're trying to make the BOS more in line with the older games but their writing just isn't on the same level, so they're rendered down from a strict caste system and complex ideologies to Power Armor and "DIE XENOS SCUM"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

"DIE XENOS SCUM"

but we'll knight the PC after a single mission

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

but we'll knight the PC after a single mission

Well even that is a change from the original caste system. Knights and Paladins are separate branches, where Knights are scouts, engineers and tech procurement teams, while Paladins are security and frontline military. FO4 rendered everyone as part of a ranking system with the only distinction being between Scribes and Military. Knights are subordinate to Paladins and work on a promotion system rather than a lifetime assignment like the previous caste system.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The BoS softening up in FO3 made sense in the context because they realized they were stranded far from home and would need to rely on the locals to survive and carry on (and no get some super inbred Paladins down the line). This was also sort of the reasoning in Tactics though they were more along the lines of "gently caress it, we're here and going to clean this place up and you're going to help whether you want to or not" and not them deciding to be benevolent.

Why Maxson decided to dust off the jackboots and accidentally on purpose murder all his peers is never fully explained. Maybe that deathclaw smacked him harder than people thought.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arthur Maxson is literally King Arthur in Fallout, and Arthur was an incredibly charismatic leader with some catastrophic character flaws that brought about his downfall, the foremost being his arrogance.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That is honestly a connection I never would've made...

God drat it, Todd!

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
any surviving us military please respond this is roger maxon, would you like to join my tech wizard clan?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

any surviving us military please respond this is roger maxon, known traitor and deserter, would you like to join my tech wizard clan?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol ok dude

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

any surviving us military please respond this is roger maxon, would you like to join my tech wizard clan?

also faxing some logo ideas, open to suggestions

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a flimsy justification to cram the BOS into 76 so they can reuse assets without realizing what a gaping hole it gouges into setting consistency.

I consistently crammed reused assets into your mom's gaping hole.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
imagine giving this much of a poo poo about fallout lore

Bethesda literally routinely makes up lore to explain why their lore is inconsistent get over it you dweebs

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Bethesda literally routinely makes up lore to explain why their lore is inconsistent get over it you dweebs

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

There's still a difference between routinely making things up badly, and routinely making things up well.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
I always thought the BOS was really dumb anyways. They were only cool because they had all the power armors.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arthur Maxson is literally King Arthur in Fallout, and Arthur was an incredibly charismatic leader with some catastrophic character flaws that brought about his downfall, the foremost being his arrogance.

So, what you're saying is Maxson is going to end up being murdered by his neglected son that he's ashamed of because of the circumstances of that son's birth?

That must have been part of the content involving Danse that got cut out, because in this analogy Danse is a spot on parallel for Mordred.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Oh yeah, I'd totally forgotten about that. How the hell does Maxon have any influence when his last pre-war action was broadcasting his desertion literally three days before the war

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh yeah, I'd totally forgotten about that. How the hell does Maxon have any influence when his last pre-war action was broadcasting his desertion literally three days before the war

Even Fallout 1 had established that not just the United States Government but basically all of America's core processes had ground to a halt by then.

Anything still running was on inertia and the best they could make of their last orders and resources.

v v v In fact, Maxson's declaration of independence received no response at all.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 18, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
All the people that joined him were also witness to the atrocities taking place at the Mariposa military base where they were using FEV to experiment on humans - so they were all pretty disgusted with everything. I seem to remember a note mentioning that when they didn't have the rest of the military land on them like a ton of bricks after they announced their intention to defect they immediately suspected something really bad was about to happen.

Most of the founding members of the BoS were the guards at the base and their families that fled to the Lost Hills bunker after the bombs dropped so its not like a bunch of randos off the street saw him and said "yeah, I want in on some of that!".

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 18, 2018

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
It’s funny to see the last three holdouts post in a row

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So, what you're saying is Maxson is going to end up being murdered by his neglected son that he's ashamed of because of the circumstances of that son's birth?

That must have been part of the content involving Danse that got cut out, because in this analogy Danse is a spot on parallel for Mordred.

Pretty much, yeah, if you consider the Mordred analogue to be a mix between Danse and the Sole Survivor. Danse represents the shame part while Sole Survivor is the betrayal after you take Danse's role as Paladin.

Provided you turn on the Brotherhood of course and become a Synth Rights Activist or a historical reenactor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I looked at the gameplay videos that got put out a week ago, and I thought it looked cool.

So just to be on the safe side, I've read all the posts here, and the latest bug reports... and I'm still getting it because it looks fun.

I've spent about 1000 hours between 3/NV/4 stomping around the place and it looks like I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of this too.

I am a bit sad still that I can't mod it, but I think I'll live. And have a underwhelming night sky, but I'll live.