Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

"backpacks"
bman. 2019. digital.

*futuristic audience gasps in awe*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Meat Wagon posted:

Where's the pipboy backpack? Where's pipboy wearing a backpack? Where's pipboy?

Pipboy? He dead.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

i flunked out posted:

Here's something else that's cool: The real cryptid sheepsquatch is now in game. Theres an event that has it and theres also random encounters, and I think a few places where it spawns somewhat reliably!

:anime:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
The backpack was actually one of the only worthwhile additions to the F4 creation club so I assume in the basic F4->F76 progression we've seen thus far it will go from slightly overpriced add-on that adds a bunch of different modular backpacks to the game world to $8 per backpack per character or ones with double the inventory space for an additional $4

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

FO5 needs a car like FO2 had.

Seriously, make it the hardcore fast-travel system, maybe have the option of having your car be a mobile base. Seriously, of all the stupid poo poo they've stolen from mods, why not that?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
A car in creation engine will be a reskinned horse that for reasons uses explosions to propel it physically forward

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Xik posted:

They had to make a real poo poo fallout game so it would get extremely bad reviews and gamers everywhere would all go "it can't possibly be that bad" and buy a copy just to see.

They couldn't just make a mediocre game because it would just be given a 7/10 everywhere and only fallout fans would play it, they really had to outdo themselves and make a completely garbage game to make everyone stand up and notice.

And the next one will be fair to alright but hailed as a return to form and people will buy it because "fallout's good again."

Donovan Trip posted:

A car in creation engine will be a reskinned horse that for reasons uses explosions to propel it physically forward

It will still have the snorting sound but they'll pretend it's the exhaust popping every now and then.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
not me. never buying a mainline bethesda game again. torrent all the way from now on.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Donovan Trip posted:

uses explosions to propel it physically forward

That is literally how an internal combustion engine works.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

As Nero Danced posted:

And the next one will be fair to alright but hailed as a return to form and people will buy it because "fallout's good again."

joke's on them they're gonna fumble it and people are gonna be like "what"

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

As Nero Danced posted:

Lmao as if youtube shills will wait that long. Once starfield comes out its gonna be "bethesda's back baby!!" and all sins will be forgiven again

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want to play FO76 but dont want to pay $60 so instead i play fallout 4 and punch myself in the dick while setting $5 on fire every ten minutes

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Heh, another falls to todds schemes. all become his puppets in the end

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Look at that box. poo poo, I’d pay a hundred bucks just for a box of such design and quality.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Look at that box. poo poo, I’d pay a hundred bucks just for a box of such design and quality.

its him, boys!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

they misspelled pip boy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I luve pipbor.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I do like their case designs. I have a h something that's like 3-4 years old. Removeable Filters on all the fans, omg such a life saver.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

A car in creation engine will be a reskinned horse that for reasons uses explosions to propel it physically forward an invisible Skyrim giant clubbing it to send it hurtling away

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For those not following FO:NV modding too closely, the "car powered by explosions" is a real in-game mod thing, in that the modder had to basically Rube Goldberg a way for cars to achieve motion in the engine.

quote:

Since car behaviour simply cannot be simulated without direct access to world physics, CARS! actually uses a completely different approach from the previous XRE vehicles. It's not a physics engine in fact, the vehicles run on the game's own engine and are manipulated completely by projectile forces. . . The first part of this system translates pre-configurable two digit forces to listed projectile pairs, which are designated to a specific function (driving, steering, wheel centering) at a pre-specified state (usually the car's velocity) to create a user configurable force-to-state curve. This provides scriptable control of the car's velocity limit, accelleration curve falloff, etc. . .

The projectiles are fired at normalized frequency to get consistent averages of energy transfer, using additional objects with projectile nodes set to match the car's anatomy. Although they hit instantly when fired, there is a two frame delay between calling a fire from script and the actual event. This creates significant error in source position and angle as the car gains speed, so additional algorithms interpolate the car's state delta's from the previous couple of frames to predict it's future state two frames ahead and position the projectile source objects accordingly. State errors can get as high as 50% of the car's width at 50kph at a 30fps framerate, making the car pretty much uncontrollable. Prediction keeps the errors below 5%, fixing the problem.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
lol what a dumbass. Simply have an invisible NPC wear the car as a hat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

lol what a dumbass. Simply have an invisible NPC wear the carboat as a hat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

2house2fly posted:

lol what a dumbass. Simply have an invisible NPC wear the car as a hat.

:lol:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

hideous,an old 50's retro thing with big buttons and weird dials and those old transistor bulb things would be 1000x better than this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

hideous,an old 50's retro thing with big buttons and weird dials and those old transistor bulb things would be 1000x better than this.

for real

http://slipperyskip.com/page17.html

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wow cant wait to see that in the garbage

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

With today's advancements in technology, I feel like we could easily recreate the future that the 50's thought we'd have, because their designs were far more creative that what we have nowadays and you'd probably make mad bank with a retro theme computer case making company

Or, ya know, make more pip-boy cases to plug our phones into

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

yeah, painting a pc case blue and giving it a yellow stripe and calling it Fallout themed is pretty drat lazy. Where's the rust, the chipped paint, the vacuum tubes, and the retro-futuristic art deco styling?

I feel like Bethesda is running Fallout into the ground. With how....dumbed down Fallout 4 was and how much of a trainwreck 76 is I don't have much hope on Fallout 5 being any better. Then again, Interplay also ran Fallout into the ground as well too, maybe the franchise is just cursed.

I hope the Outer Worlds will be good and the spiritual successor New Vegas needed, once the bugs have been patched out and it's available on steam, no way I'm installing Epic Games Store on my PC.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 28, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm in no rush, I can wait a year for outer worlds and play other stuff in the meantime.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Xarbala posted:

I'm in no rush, I can wait a year for outer worlds and play other stuff in the meantime.

Yeah, since it's an Obsidian game it'll probably take that long to patch out all the bugs. :v:

I usually wait for games to go on sale anyway.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

wafflemoose posted:

yeah, painting a pc case blue and giving it a yellow stripe and calling it Fallout themed is pretty drat lazy. Where's the rust, the chipped paint, the vacuum tubes, and the retro-futuristic art deco styling?

I feel like Bethesda is running Fallout into the ground. With how....dumbed down Fallout 4 was and how much of a trainwreck 76 is I don't have much hope on Fallout 5 being any better. Then again, Interplay also ran Fallout into the ground as well too, maybe the franchise is just cursed.

I hope the Outer Worlds will be good and the spiritual successor New Vegas needed, once the bugs have been patched out and it's available on steam, no way I'm installing Epic Games Store on my PC.

I think, at least for me, a big part of the appeal of Fallout was not just the retro-futurism but the clash of the retro-futurism against the Fist of the Northstar esk post-apocalypse. There was a uniqueness to it. As it became more standardized and a "Fallout formula" developed the games started to get stale. That might be why New Vegas endeared itself to fans, by doing what the original games did but with spaghetti Westerns instead of Fist of the Northstar. It doesn't help that the quality of the storytelling and gameplay has been all over the place.

Someone asked a ways back if there was anything that could be done to salvage 76 and as many have said, no. The game's foundation is just garbage. It really would take a "Realm Reborn" style rebuild of the entire game to fix. Which, they could do if they had the will to do it. Just say the Enclave death computer AI finally got control of all the nukes and death-ray satellites and wrecked the entire area. Now you got an interesting antagonist and an excuse to redo everything.

Would Bethesda do that? gently caress no.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
In Fallout the retro-futurism was an aesthetic. The intro pulled a really cool trick with juxtaposing Disney-Epcot optimism with the post apocalypse, and the game featured a cool and unique art style. But there was a lot else going on. I think what really made Fallout stand out was the variety of question solutions and the role of character stats outside of combat. Other than Wasteland, Fallout's predecessor, I don't know if any other game really did that. Even contemporaneous RPGs by Bioware were basically just dungeon crawlers. Other than Black Isle, Troika, and Obsidian, I don't know of any other developer that really does a good job of allowing for multiple quest solutions, story reactivity, and player stats that matter outside of combat. Fallout 3 tried to cargo cult both the aesthetics of Fallout and the gameplay design, but was kind of a pale imitation. I'm guessing it's really hard, since I don't think the developers at Bethesda are stupid and lazy. But I think it says a lot that we're both getting crap merchandise designed to mimic the Pip Boy and Vault Boy, and also games that strip every element that made Fallout unique.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If anything it's more like a cargo cult of a cargo cult at this point. Fallout 76 barely understands what people liked about fallout 3, let alone the original games. The experience has degenerated into pip boy, our spiritual king, and picking through piles of garbage forever

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I love trash and I love pipboy

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

I love trash and I love pipboy

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Pipboy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I legit enjoy this big dumb box.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

wafflemoose posted:

For real man.

I don't think bethesda actually understand how little the 50's aesthetic (which wasn't so much a 50's aesthetic as a flash gordon/pulp aesthetic) mattered in the first 2 fallout games it was just windows dressing,but they've never progressed beyond that.

It's like if a chef half remembered a recipe but only remembered that it had a nice cheesy taste and nothing else so he puts 15 blocks of cheese on top of it.

edit : beaten by prometheusbound2 who put it much better than me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The worst thing about Beth's over reliance on that 50s poo poo isn't just that it's everywhere, it's that Fallout 3 and 4 feel like the bombs dropped in 1959. Like that dumb lady in the overpass settlement in F3 who's wondering if her fall catalog has arrived when you knock on her door. It's like Bethesda thinks the bombs drop in that decade specifically.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Bethesda’s merchandise is so much like their games it’s incredible. It’s like trying to revive the T-Rex from a handful of bones and that one nerd’s half-forgotten childhood memories of reading about it in an encyclopaedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Stats that matter out of combat died as the internet got big and it got to easy to know what the “right” stats were instead of it feeling freeform. Like you can self police but that feels different that the old days where it felt obscured in a way that made it feel behind the scenes. Now you can just know so easy if you should have 75 speech or 100 speech.