Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Internal monologue vs spoken lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You can tell it's an "official animation" because it was animated in Gamebryo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I couldn't tell from the quality if that video was fanmade or Bethesda, of course the tell is there's no way to charge 5 bucks for watching

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Official what? Is it a mod?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's an NCR ranger in it, so there's way it's by Bethesda

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

How did they use human dna to make robits out of metal?

You have 12 pages of posts in this thread but you missed the fact that the synths are very expressly 99% organic? Like you can actually watch the process of them being made and it's super gooey.

Actually I'm probably just falling for a troll.

How can Darth Vader be Luke's dad when he's a robot?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 24, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

7c Nickel posted:

You have 12 pages of posts in this thread but you missed the fact that the synths are very expressly 99% organic? Like you can actually watch the process of them being made and it's super gooey.

Actually I'm probably just falling for a troll.

How can Darth Vader be Luke's dad when he's a robot?

Fisto the robot can demonstrate how for 40 caps if you know who to ask in New Vegas.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Fisto the robot can demonstrate how for 40 caps if you know who to ask in New Vegas.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Go on...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The White Dragon posted:

fallout:florida, where you can finish the game in five minutes by pressing examine in the right spot in the first town to find the fountain of youth

I appreciate this joke.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They released stats to make people think that more than 100 people still play the game. Mainly all to do with the stuff they added in the last month.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I refuse to believe that a recipe is one of the top 10 purchased items from other players. Unless we're down to literally a double-digit playerbase.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Every active player took on average over a million photos.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
imagine playing this game lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I played this game for another 20 minutes and went from level five to six.

I went to a town that I got a quest in from the radio to watch a parade and kill a monster. Got there and there was a level 30 monster that appeared to be clipped through and stuck in the ground and a bunch of level 5 super mutants shooting him. So I shot him too and we killed him and then my super mutant bros turned on me and killed me but not before I got enough XP to level.

I have no idea what the parade was supposed to be unless that was it but I got credit for finishing the quest.

10/10 goty

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has Todd put Pip Boy down yet or what

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

rickiep00h posted:

I refuse to believe that a recipe is one of the top 10 purchased items from other players. Unless we're down to literally a double-digit playerbase.

Hey, you never know, it could be a very good pie.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

heres the thing, its not even a rare recipe. Its a guaranteed drop for if you pass the Free Range Event with all 3 cows alive

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

i flunked out posted:

heres the thing, its not even a rare recipe. Its a guaranteed drop for if you pass the Free Range Event with all 3 cows alive

to be fair what is a guaranteed drop in a bethesda game

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Fawf posted:

the framerate

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Fawf posted:

player concurrency

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fawf posted:

Game quality

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has Todd put Pip Boy down yet or what

Unless they farm out a game to one of the stepchild studios, they have to get through starfield and skyrim 2 before the lovable pip boy's status would be observable again in any case. Until such a time, he will be schrodinger's pip boy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ever since Bethesda almost went bankrupt making 10th planet, they have only made a single game at a time.

It's also why they let blackisle make New Vegas and they made fo76 to be handed over to a freemium gaming company to be maintained.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 29, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eraflure posted:

the framerate

:vince:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
smh at people trying to followup "the framerate" with their own jokes. Dude launched a perfect 10 straight outta the gate and now your'e just dropping some wet noodles next to it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Tenzarin posted:

Ever since Bethesda almost went bankrupt making 10th planet, they have only made a single game at a time.

It's also why they let blackisle make New Vegas and they made fo76 to be handed over to a freemium gaming company to be maintained.

that wasn’t Black Isle

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Eraflure posted:

the framerate

:perfect:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm wondering if they are even going to mention this game at E3 in just over a week or if it will be ignored

I know in the past they have briefly mentioned new content at E3 for their MMOs that a handful of people are still playing

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Eraflure posted:

the framerate

:drat:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So a while back I posted a video by Noah Caldwell Gervais where he traveled across the American Southwest searching for the areas that inspired the West Coast Fallout games. If you haven't seen the video you should watch it because it's fantastic, but that's not what I want to talk about. The video got me thinking about open world game design and Fallout in particular. The game worlds in the Gamebryo Fallout games have difficulty establishing scope and scale due to their abbreviated nature and requiring everything to exist on one contiguous map. It's an issue that the isometric games didn't have because the regions were divided up and only the overworld map connected them and the random encounter maps. This helped the games convey a sense of scale as you cross the length of California without making things feel too small when you get down to the actual gameplay maps.

I'm wondering how it might be possible to apply that scale to the 3D fallout games without hitting the big problem: empty space. Game worlds can be gigantic, but oftentimes these leave maps feeling really empty and boring. One solution is to use a micro focus and make a big world map based around a small area. See: Witcher 3, which has an enormous open world map that, on the actual world map, is a fairly small peninsula. The other option is to make a very dense map like Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

But if we wanted to make a Fallout game with a map the size of say, DIRT, how would we go about making the map that feels vast but not feel empty? I'd almost suggest doing a hybrid of the old games' overworld map, so that if you wanted to go from one region to another, you can fast travel there with occasional random encounters, or you could walk there in real time (obviously not real-time weeks to get across a wasteland) if you really wanted to. The trouble I see with this is that while it would be nice to have the option to just walk across the expanse, there needs to be more than that to incentivize it, or it's just wasting resources. I'm really trying to think of a way to balance scale against accessibility and content, so I wondered what your thoughts might be.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m the epistemological ouroboros that is “the thing I have chosen to talk about is not the thing I want to talk about.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

El_Elegante posted:

I’m the epistemological ouroboros that is “the thing I have chosen to talk about is not the thing I want to talk about.”

Well I could talk about the Noah Caldwell Gervais video but that would require other people to actually watch it to see where I'm coming from for my main question.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
That video was really cool. I spent a few years in the southwest and it really has its own beauty. But thank god the scale wasn’t realistic.

I recently started playing fallout 2, and the overworld helps the sense of distance, watching the days fly by walking to the next little town. I’d be down with having to really go on a good hike to get to the next waypoint, but everyone would cry about how empty and boring the world is. Hell, people already do about New Vegas.

Also, Bethesda continues loving up Fallout 76. The last patch changed the foreign language names of monsters and items to snippets of text from a future expansion. People scraped them all together and got a lot of the content figured out.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

But if we wanted to make a Fallout game with a map the size of say, DIRT, how would we go about making the map that feels vast but not feel empty?

Extra Credits did a video a while back titled "Ma, the space between" that got me to rethink empty space. There is an assumption that empty space is always bad, that audiences will tune out or get bored. I think that assumption is fundamentally flawed. There are a lot of great, successfully games that use empty space to great effect. Think games like Breath of the Wild and Shadow of the Colossus. They feature lots of empty space that helps set the mood, punctuate the action and highlight things the designers want the player to experience.

Here is the video of you want to check it out:
https://youtu.be/5DuDambEIMU

Edit: Just wanted to add that I have no doubt Bethesda lacks to capacity to use empty space in a way that would be anything but boring and awful. I'm just saying a good designer could make a 3D Fallout game that thoughtfully deployed empty spaces that were a boon to the game.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 30, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I love big empty

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

If the size of the game world was expanded to better represent the actual space between locations and travel time was increased then quest design must also be changed so that traveling to another area was a significant thing.

Currently a lot of the quests in the game involve traveling to the other side of the game world to do a task and then travel back, which even in the more condensed version of the game worlds can be a chore. Changing the quests design so that they are focused within a specific area would help a lot. In the isometric fallouts a lot of the quests would be fully contained within one city or map, and in a Fallout with increased travel times that would work.

They could even finally work in cars and vehicles and rideable critters and whatnot. Maybe add mechanics about needing to prepare or to get specific equipment to be able to survive the journey. Could play well with the increased survival mechanics they seem to be wanting to play with. I really was excited for the expedition to the glowing sea when I was first playing FO4, it didn't really live up to expectations but it would be dope to have that feeling of having to make an actual journey again.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

People cry endlessly about empty space and travel times no matter how it’s done. The days of it taking two hours to get from G Fay to Qeynos are long gone and we’ll never see them again (except maybe in star citizen)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bird with big dick posted:

People cry endlessly about empty space and travel times no matter how it’s done.

yeah cause it sucks most of the time. it's often just tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Arcsquad12 posted:

So a while back I posted a video by Noah Caldwell Gervais where he traveled across the American Southwest searching for the areas that inspired the West Coast Fallout games. If you haven't seen the video you should watch it because it's fantastic, but that's not what I want to talk about. The video got me thinking about open world game design and Fallout in particular. The game worlds in the Gamebryo Fallout games have difficulty establishing scope and scale due to their abbreviated nature and requiring everything to exist on one contiguous map. It's an issue that the isometric games didn't have because the regions were divided up and only the overworld map connected them and the random encounter maps. This helped the games convey a sense of scale as you cross the length of California without making things feel too small when you get down to the actual gameplay maps.

I'm wondering how it might be possible to apply that scale to the 3D fallout games without hitting the big problem: empty space. Game worlds can be gigantic, but oftentimes these leave maps feeling really empty and boring. One solution is to use a micro focus and make a big world map based around a small area. See: Witcher 3, which has an enormous open world map that, on the actual world map, is a fairly small peninsula. The other option is to make a very dense map like Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

But if we wanted to make a Fallout game with a map the size of say, DIRT, how would we go about making the map that feels vast but not feel empty? I'd almost suggest doing a hybrid of the old games' overworld map, so that if you wanted to go from one region to another, you can fast travel there with occasional random encounters, or you could walk there in real time (obviously not real-time weeks to get across a wasteland) if you really wanted to. The trouble I see with this is that while it would be nice to have the option to just walk across the expanse, there needs to be more than that to incentivize it, or it's just wasting resources. I'm really trying to think of a way to balance scale against accessibility and content, so I wondered what your thoughts might be.

IMO the solution is to go back to overworld map travel like in Fallout 1/2. Build the giant world, put discoverable map markers on everything interesting (if you want to "hide" things, make them plainly visible from marked locations so players will see them and manually travel there). Players travel by going to the map, and pathing around like old school RPGs, with encounters pushing you back to the 3D/real time map. That way you can have the big open space, and have it be real space, without having to waste a bunch of resources creating detail in it, or disrespect the player's time by expecting them to do any meaningful traversal of it.

The reality is though, that huge scale and extreme openness is being overused in gaming. Games have become more and more focused on grandiose scale and plots and have lost a lot in doing so. The fact that basically every open world game has a teleport anywhere fast travel system is a huge warning sign that they're badly designed games. A lot of the reason that people really enjoy a lot of indie games is that they tend to have much tighter, more focused scopes that don't need a bunch of garbage shoveled in to feel full. I'd really like to see some larger-budget RPGs focus on a setting that is say, a single town/city, and make it feel like a proper, realized city.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 30, 2019