Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I tried playing Fallout 4 recently, after completing the base game and DLC a few years ago, but found that the game crashes to desktop after a minute or two with no error messages. I thought it was a sound issue but it seems like the crashing only stops if I set all the graphics settings to Low/potato mode. Even Medium seems to crash the game. I have a 2070Super/Ryzen 2600X/16BG RAM/latest drivers and fully patched Win10 so I should be able to play the things on Ultra settings at 1080p60. No mods except the official DLC. I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider on very high settings without issue for a few hours so Fallout 4 seems to be the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I had some random crashing and what fixed it was turning off the unofficial patch of all things. Been smooth sailing since then.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

I turned off the video where his point is picking up scrap in FO4 is engaging gameplay. Sorry British youtuber I ain't buying.
I could almost forgive the junk stuff if it weren't for the fact your companion chastises you every five loving minutes for getting materials. Yes, Codsworth, I am going to pick up this desk fan because I kind of want to upgrade my poo poo.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 29, 2020

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
As a game for crawling around exploring ruins, FO4 is great. As a game with a sensible story and satisfying conclusion it's godawful.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I didn’t even hate the scavenging system, I just wish there was more to do with it than the base game provided. The idea of being a post apocalyptic junksmith is pretty drat neat, and what few times I did get into the crafting, finding a piece of junk with the right bits of bobs I needed was pretty satisfying. Unfortunately the crafting never feels like it’s getting you ahead of the game since you can’t craft actual gear or anything, just modifications. So then it’s just no crafting until you find a weapon that’s an upgrade... But now it’s not as good as your current modded weapon, so you’re gonna have to find three screws and some adhesive before it’s actually an upgrade.

I suspect a lot of it was meant to fuel the settlement building, but that was a disaster without mods to make it more worth your while.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can't get past the utterly awful UI and controls to start criticizing the mechanics of Fallout 4's crafting and building systems

So much of it is hardcoded that mods can't really touch a whole lot

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Honestly my single biggest beef with Fallout 4 is the voice acted protagonist and "Sean" gutting my ability to roleplay in my rpg. If you're gonna give your lead a voice and a set personality commit to it and give them an actual personality, history and relationships. Or better yet don't do any of that, leave them silent and let me roleplay. I love me some Witcher 3 and JRPGs but they aren't what Im looking for in a Bethesda game.

the voiced dialogue was pretty wierd if you tried to mix your responses up. like youd go from cracking jokes and being an rear end in a top hat to OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY SON I BEG YOU. also there was no way to play as a bad guy even though they added a dlc where you can lead a bunch of raiders.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I just recently beat Fallout 4 again with the railroad faction. They do suck as a faction but the mission in infiltrating the institute to start a full wide synth rebellion was definitely my jam. Only faction I haven't beaten it with yet is the Minutemen because Preston will not shut the gently caress up about settlements and giving me timed quests. gently caress him.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Railroad woulda been better as a generic anti-slaver faction that just so happened to consider the institute as the biggest baddest slavers around. Also, lean heavier into the whole stealth/infiltration theme. And let me ballistic weave all the things tia. Still better than the other factions ideology wise though: the minutemen lack one, bos are for people who don't get that starship troopers was ironic, institute really makes no goddamn sense with any of their plans (dumping super mutants on the commonwealth, giving up on life extension tech, replacing people with synths, etc). It kinda sucks that the minutemen ending is the "best" one

I want another tribal start in fallout. Preferably along the Mississippi or maybe great lakes

edit: wait, scratch that. Give me cajun swampman start in new orleans. Anything other than vault start, tribal, raider, scavenger, courier, whatever

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 29, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MH Knights posted:

I tried playing Fallout 4 recently, after completing the base game and DLC a few years ago, but found that the game crashes to desktop after a minute or two with no error messages. I thought it was a sound issue but it seems like the crashing only stops if I set all the graphics settings to Low/potato mode. Even Medium seems to crash the game. I have a 2070Super/Ryzen 2600X/16BG RAM/latest drivers and fully patched Win10 so I should be able to play the things on Ultra settings at 1080p60. No mods except the official DLC. I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider on very high settings without issue for a few hours so Fallout 4 seems to be the issue.

Turn off "Weapon Debris" in advanced options. This is a known issue with RTX capable cards and whatever weirdo physics thing the Weapon Debris setting uses. I was getting those crashes too and disabling only that resolved everything, you can run it otherwise fully maxed out at 4k with that card and those specs.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Replaying Fallout 4 again for reasons even I don't quite grasp. I love Nick Valentine but it's a shame his personal quest sucks. Not just because it's basically a long string of wandering around and collecting tapes, but because it once more shows Bethesda doesn't understand how long 200 years is or how too much convenience, even in a Fallout game, can be eyeroll-worthy.

Sure is convenient that all the buildings we have to go to for the quest are standing, even if barely. Sure is convenient that all the tapes are still there and in working order after 200 years passed and they didn't just kind of wear away to a state of not being able to work. It'd be a shame if literally one of the buildings got wiped out to the point they were just a pile of rubble from the nukes. Sure is convenient all the terminals that give the locations of the tapes all work too. Also pretty convenient that at no point did the radiation from the war damage the tapes so they didn't work. Or that they were damaged in, say, gunfight between raiders. Or taken by a raider or prospector somewhere else. Or recorded over. Or gnawed on by a Feral Ghoul or something or taken away since they apparently pick up trash and carry it with them. poo poo, when the Sole Survivor goes to one of the police buildings, it's been taken over by Raiders.

If literally one was too garbled to work, the quest would end, but in 200 years of time every single tape is apparently right where it was left when the bomb drops and never broke or got moved.

And somehow Eddie discovered how Ghouls can be made (even forcefully calls himself one because who the gently caress would link a person with radiation burns with the word 'Ghoul' so conveniently???) and seems mentally sounded after 200 years of isolation. And somehow he had 200 years worth of food and water in that small little bunker.

I know it's a video game, but Jesus it's all kind of hard to swallow, at least for me.

Oh yeah, and apparently Eddie murdered the original Nick's fiancé about ten feet from the bunker entrance. A lot less important but still an odd coincidence.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Bringing Nick to far harbor is the best nick there is.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ash1138 posted:

The explanation for the Brotherhood's presence in Appalachia was fine. Same with super mutants. The pre-war America of the Fallout series was all of the fascism and laissez-faire capitalism of our America turned up to 11 with shady black ops poo poo literally everywhere so it really doesn't take much to justify West Coast Fallout stuff showing up everywhere.
Every once-dumb "the government spends all its money on proto-Fascism" storyline of futuristic games of the last few decades is a lot more plausible now, yes.

Also Fallout 3, 4, AND 76 are better than you think; beat that, Many A True Nerd! Oh no, what if he flips the script and comes out with "Why Fallout: New Vegas is worse than you think" or goes all-out with "Why Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is better than you think"?!?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Iirc initially he felt the FO76 hate was way overblown and started planning a FO76 IBTYT video, but as his enthusiasm cooled that ended up a "how to make it better" vid instead

He was similarly reluctant to admit Andromeda was actually pretty poo poo. He's not contrarian per se, I think, he just tends to give games he's excited about more benefit of the doubt than they perhaps deserve.

FNV is his favorite Fallout, I believe.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I also try to find things to enjoy about any games of my limited preferred genres.

I like to think I would not defend "collecting everything" as an engaging mechanic in and of itself, I do remember being excited they at least turned the Fallout 3 "picking things up is basically worthless after the first few hours" into "picking things up at least lets you turn them into walls"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

Nick's lovely quest

Yeah, see this is what I mean. I got a good 20-30 hours out of Fallout 4 just by ignoring like 75% of the quests and hanging out with the few companions I enjoyed and created my own story out of the scenario. In my head the game takes place closer to the war so all the weird incongruities make more sense, the Sole Survivor was a repressed housewife who flourished in the wasteland after the pre-war patriarchy was obliterated, reaching her true potential as a badass swordswoman who was also somewhat bi-curious, and I guess some weird cult turned her kid into a robot or somethin', idk I just shot their dumbass leader and blew up their base. RIP to the kiddo but this world is no place to raise a family.

poo poo, now I want to find my old save and try out the raider stuff they added in the DLC.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Grimoire posted:

Railroad woulda been better as a generic anti-slaver faction that just so happened to consider the institute as the biggest baddest slavers around. Also, lean heavier into the whole stealth/infiltration theme. And let me ballistic weave all the things tia. Still better than the other factions ideology wise though: the minutemen lack one, bos are for people who don't get that starship troopers was ironic, institute really makes no goddamn sense with any of their plans (dumping super mutants on the commonwealth, giving up on life extension tech, replacing people with synths, etc). It kinda sucks that the minutemen ending is the "best" one

I want another tribal start in fallout. Preferably along the Mississippi or maybe great lakes

edit: wait, scratch that. Give me cajun swampman start in new orleans. Anything other than vault start, tribal, raider, scavenger, courier, whatever

I agree with all of that. Especially the tribal start.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Grimoire posted:

It really kind of sucks the BoS are the only faction that's fleshed out and, like, internally consistent. Cause yeah they're fashy authoritarian assholes. The Minutemen are a big nothing and the Railroad and Institute are nonsense riding on surface aesthetics.

It's like if in NV the Legion were the only faction that got developed.

Though I suppose having one route that makes sense (mostly ignoring the Sean stuff which is easy on a BoS run) and three that don't is a big improvement over FO3, Skyrim and Oblivion.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rinkles posted:

Iirc initially he felt the FO76 hate was way overblown and started planning a FO76 IBTYT video, but as his enthusiasm cooled that ended up a "how to make it better" vid instead

He was similarly reluctant to admit Andromeda was actually pretty poo poo. He's not contrarian per se, I think, he just tends to give games he's excited about more benefit of the doubt than they perhaps deserve.

FNV is his favorite Fallout, I believe.

I have no real interest in watching those "better than you think" videos but I always appreciate someone engaging with something in a positive or even neutral way in the age of pointing out plot holes as story criticism. And God knows it probably gets him yelled at lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes, I have certainly seen him accused of being on Bethesda's payroll, though I also seem to recall it being true that he gets stuff free from them (but that is surely not too unusual for popular YouTube reviewers?)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So BoS in 4 are bad guys right? Cause I finally stopped loving around in settlements to engage with the main quest and busted out laughing when I got out of Fort Hagen to be greeted by their dumbass blimp loudly announcing "WE ARE THE BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL"

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Well they are pretty fascist so yea kinda but they also have the most coherent and believable motivations and actions of all the factions in Fallout 4 so it's a mixed bag.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I've been binging on his channel, and I don't think he gets stuff from Bethesda (though he has talked to devs, I believe), but he has gotten free stuff from Paradox before (his Stellaris and Crusader Kings 2 playthroughs are a joy to watch, since I like watching youtubers who occasionally make mistakes). And yes, either Fallout NV or Mass Effect 1 is his favorite game, given multiple challenge playthroughs with different gimmicks on both games.

I don't like the idea that not constantly pointing out flaws is considered being a shill. He does have criticisms of the games he plays, he's just not so hung up on them that he refuses to have a good time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes, I have certainly seen him accused of being on Bethesda's payroll, though I also seem to recall it being true that he gets stuff free from them (but that is surely not too unusual for popular YouTube reviewers?)

Companies want eyeballs and that's it, so they dole out free copies like candy to popular Youtubers. There's one dude whose shtick is that he tries his absolute best to break the game apart while gleefully mocking what is happening on screen, and he apparently gets free copies.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Matn is an enjoyable watch with some wholesome humor. He also seems to be able to do the same its a video game, a certain suspension of disbelief is necessary thing I do. Yes, its been 200 years and most junk would have long been cleared out along with most enemies but seriously, who cares. Its a video game, enjoy it. And he does rag on the various fallout games openly for what they do wrong, but doesn't let it distract from having fun with it anyways.

Lets game it out is ond of the ones that tries to break every game he lays his hands on by playing it as wrong as possible. Its a running joke that he gets alpha and beta access just so the companies get a cheap stress test of their games.

Also, I picked up a two shot tesla rifle in 76 tonight. I had been planning to redo my gimmick stealth bow char into a full health gunner, but gently caress it, this gun with an auto reciever is way too hilarious to not keep and run. Even with the damage nerfs it shreds in stuff like daily ops.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Entorwellian posted:

I agree with all of that. Especially the tribal start.

could really do with tribals not showing up as-is in future games personally

its one of the more poorly aged parts of the original games, next to everyone in san francisco being kung fu fighting asians

edit: mostly im talking about fallout 2 bone through nose tribals speaking to ancestor spirits and the like

by 3 (BoS calling anyone non-affiliated with them tribals) and FNV the term is more broad referring to any one stateless community not within the scope of the NCR (or House)

i think on the east coast itd be a pretty meaningless term as it'd refer to everyone really (by 4 the BoS don't use the term anymore as far as I remember, and probably because of Lyons' and Maxson recruiting heavily from local populations)

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 2, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

Companies want eyeballs and that's it, so they dole out free copies like candy to popular Youtubers. There's one dude whose shtick is that he tries his absolute best to break the game apart while gleefully mocking what is happening on screen, and he apparently gets free copies.

SpiffingBrit, or something? He's pretty entertaining

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bofast posted:

SpiffingBrit, or something? He's pretty entertaining

I meant 'Let's game it out', but I'm sure there's other successful ones too!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Honestly I kinda want "tribals" in the sense of people living in newly made adobe/simple wood/stone buildings and wearing like fur clothes instead of ancient hand me downs.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Faithful 3D recreation of Fallout 1/2 would be a lot of fun, but little more than a pipe dream at this point

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It can be released as a pack with isometric Fallout 3/New Vegas/4/76 all in one

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Quarex posted:

It can be released as a pack with isometric Fallout 3/New Vegas

I'm surprised afaik this isn't a mod

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
One thing I don't get is how people still think the world design in Fallout 3 is better than FNV. All of the settlements are uninteresting and rinky dink. Most of the map is as empty or even emptier than New Vegas. And navigating downtown DC and the subway is a nightmare. The only way I could think that the world design is better is if all you'd like out of a fallout game is to raid dungeons and kill lots of raiders/mutants.

I'm actually astonished as to how primitive Fallout 3 feels as compared to New Vegas, even if they run on the exact same engine and with the same assets.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

F3 had more random places to explore with more loot, so it satisfied the dungeon crawler/looter itch better, especially for people coming from Elder Scrolls games.

NV had places like vault 11 which were far superior storywise but weren't rewarding. There's a reason the World of Pain mod was so popular.

Also F3 had better random encounters on the open world. There were more things like raiders and radscorpions and deathclaws in huge battles with each other.

Those two issues were turnoffs to me in NV's first hours, I almost stopped playing. It wasn't until I got more into the story that I appreciated it more and eventually became my favorite Fallout.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fallout 3 sucks, in my opinion. And I can't even reinstall the game to get a new opinion because after playing for an hour or two the game fucks the save file up and corrupts it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A key difference between Fallout 3 and NV is that 3 has a lot more random encounters, so an area remains interesting if you travel back and forth through it. New Vegas has scripted encounters, so you'll see interesting things like Powder Gangers fighting Vipers on your first trip through an area, but if you keep using a stretch of road for a while it'll be empty. I enjoyed playing Fallout 3 without fast travel, New Vegas without fast travel has a lot of empty desert.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's fun being lost in the ruins of a city, even if it's totally faked with small areas connected by metro tunnels. Breaking up the sight lines outside of a few landmarks on the horizon helps make it feel denser and larger than it actually is. And then there are all the random dungeons, each of which has some sort of little story connected to it. New Vegas is a much, much better RPG and game but 3 has some stuff going for it.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Showing my age with metaphor, but FO3/4 are a lot better if you treat them as Icewind Dale, compared to FNV's Planescape Torment.

Which leaves 76; I kinda want to pick it up - and treat it like fallout flavored diablo with more dumpster diving for turret parts.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's not just that NV has fewer random encounters, it has no random encounters. For whatever reason they completely stripped out the random encounter system from 3 except for a small shell that they used for minor faction stuff. Which is a shame because not only is it fun, it can also be used to show the longer term consequences of quests in a fairly organic way.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah it sounds great until some rear end in a top hat in glass armor rolls in to assassinate the Nerevar your first night in Seyda Neen