Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey so apparently there is a new fallout 76 game coming out, God am I out of the loop to discover it so late, like 2 weeks before release.

I blame this on Fallout 4, I was terribly disappointed by its awful main story and wonkiness back at release. I had got the season pass too so I have all DLC, but it's IIRC 90% about workshop and settlement building which I don't care at all about.

I want to replay it to get me in the mood, I still have late-game (I guess?) savegames but I can't remember many details about the story or why should I care about people etc, so I'm guessing a restart from scratch is in order

that said, I probably won't replay this for dozens of hours, so should I be beelining the main quest up to Nick Valentine and then go straight to Far Harbor as recommended in the OP? I remember it being a lot better than the base game, and I never completed it because I was burned out on the base game at the time.

Are there any recommended mods or overhauls that make Fallout 4 better? I checked the mod thread but 99% of the mods in the OP look kinda boring to me, and I'm not into survival or making the game harder, if anything I want an easy time (by better I mean having more well-thought out quests, more silly interactions and stories, more stuff to loot, more memorable NPCs and locations, new mechanics that are not settlement building, more backstory and lore - I love the terminals and the odd little storytelling coming from them, plus the environmental storytelling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zirak posted:

There is a fan project that's ongoing: https://www.f4nv.com/.

Not sure how far along they are or whether it'll ever be done.

sadly this kind of megaprojects tend to never see the light of day. Maybe they'll end this in 2022 and by then we'll all be playing (modded) Fallout 5

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Songbearer posted:

> [Kill Songbearer, his family, his children, his pets, set it alight and dance in the fire]

I want a game where this is the only possible response to any quest.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I got this for half price and I'm ... enjoying it?!?

Hard to believe since everything I read at launch made me feel "this is not the game for you", but honestly I think I'm even enjoying the original main quest more than the new wastelander content (which was the big draw to getting it), the environmental storytelling and "world is still unpopulated so you only find written/recorded stuff" thing works fine. I believe it could get bothersome after a while, but hey now there's someone to interact with when I'm tired of just reading / listening to holotapes - also from what little I did in Wastelanders I think I really want to level a bit more by doing the original main quest to have SPECIAL points in order to pass at least some skill checks.

I sort of dislike the new VATS system but of course there was no way to have it be a "slow time" kind of thing online so I'll have to get used to it. It's still useful at least because I'm a bad shot and can't hit poo poo from a distance with the terrible weapons I found at the start :v:

Also, building your CAMP feels so much better than settlements in FO4. I actually do care about making things pretty now, I guess because it feels like a home and not "yet another village full of idiots I have to babysit".

Anyone has any beginner tips like "don't waste perks/caps on these trap options"? I'm not a min maxer but I can already tell there's a lot of terrible perks (like butcher's bounty or whatever, yay some random extra meat when I kill animals? Instead of say, being able to actually lockpick stuff and get money/weapons/good junk? That's not even a choice), and caps seem pretty hard to come by

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 19, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks for the tips. Hunter's bounty is one of the perks I got from a perk pack so I tried it out but I don't use it much since I find meat and veggies decay too quickly, after a couple hours of adventuring I will check my backpack and often have many spoiled things and it sucks, I keep finding so many not-spoiling food items I rarely have to eat anything cooked by me (and I waste a lot of time exploring and scavenging in between fighting stuff so unless I cook stuff right before going for a fight, it'll be expired when I actually need it)

Got to level 10 and I really enjoy sneaking around with big alpha strike weapons to one/two shot kill whatever comes my way, right now I use the legendary .44 pistol you get as reward early on, and heavily modded pump action shotgun and hunting rifle - they all do around 50-55 damage which is enough to two-shot-kill anything around my level; only thing that gave me some trouble was the first "boss" of the wastelander main quest which was level 14, I took on him at lvl 9 and he ate 5-6 shots to the face before going down :v: haven't found any automatic weapon yet, once I do I'll have everything to try out and I can finally choose which damage-enhancing perks to get :)

Made a nice two story wooden house, and put a stash outside so other people can use it if they happen to pass by :3: but it's a pain in the rear end to blueprint stuff, I have to do 2 blueprints just for a very basic 3x2 ground floor and 2x2 1st floor with a balcony all around and armor, weapon and tinker workbench

also where do I find tons of aluminum? I need all of it, and also nuclear material for reflex sights

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BadLlama posted:

Also if you just play the game regularly on a new character you will get a freebie backpack that isn't as good but adds more carry weight early on.

When exactly do you get that? I seem to remember reading some popup about plans for a backpack or something similar but I was distracted and it disappeared, I don't have a backpack in my inventory and I can't seem to craft it at workbenches?

I would really, REALLY like some extra carry weight without having to waste SPECIAL points in strength since I am a 100% ranged character

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I paid 20€ for it and I'm happy, it's not the best game ever but if you liked previous fallouts this is pretty comparable. Enjoying this more than I enjoyed vanilla Fallout 4 actually!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

VRViperII posted:

Melee is very good. Melee in power armor is EZ mode.

*sigh* I would so much like to try out proper melee, but there's not enough SPECIAL points to go around and the limited respec possibilities (only after lvl50 and only 1 point at a time, wtf... I guess it's better than no respec at all but come on) stifle me since I'm a pussy and I'm afraid to go face to face with big hulking monsters without a sufficient buffer of armor and HP so I'm building towards being good at ranged already at lvl10 (2 str, 1 end)

maybe I'll make a totally new character for melee later?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BadLlama posted:

If you dump a bunch of strength while leveling to do melee (Which helps you ignore ammo during a time when it is hard to come by) you can easily switch to shotguns and heavy weapons later since their perks are mostly all in strength. Please more strength gives you more carry weight and give you access to a number of perks which help you reduce the weight of many things like ammo and chems.

Also there is really no ranged stat unless you are relying on VATs. The only thing stats give you for ranged are slotting perk cards and for rifles you need 9 in perception, 12 if you want tank killer as well I think?

Hmm thanks for this, I had no idea shotgun perks were strength related. Now it just gets worse though ... I want perception for VATS and perks, strength for carry weight and perks, agility for stealth and AP, endurance for HP if I go melee and intelligence for repair/modding/crafting (this one maybe less necessary, but I just like it)

is Luck very important? Every guide I see says it's one of the most important things if you use VATS, and I do use it at times, but it seems a "meh" stat, I mean I guess criticals are good but I often forget to even use them, and there's times where I don't even use VATS at all...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 21, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

thanks for the build tips :) so putting up to 3-4 points in any stat is never a waste, except for END apparently (lol) due to having nice perks or being useful for derived stats

btw it's pretty jarring that if you follow the "old" main quest you're supposed to chase this drat overseer on her paper trail and it seems it will be some kind of end-game thing but you literally find her at her house in what is basically a newbie-zone you get sent to early on, and then you have to be level 20 to work with her? While I still have to follow her "paper trail" ? :confused:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Morglon posted:

Pick a weapon class, take all the perks for that class except the weight reduction and reaload speed, take Bloody Mess, fill in the blanks with whatever you like except Endurance perks.

Ugh how am I supposed to pick a weapon class when they're all fun and cool. In FO4 it was easy, rifleman was the only worthwhile one and included shotguns, but in 76 I find myself using every kind of ranged weapon and liking them all.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Floppychop posted:

Well, fast travel costs caps because gently caress the player.

\/ But how will they sell their scrap kits from the atomic shop if players had a way to fast travel near where they were when dumping off scrap? \/

Do costs for fast travel significantly increase later on, or exponentially based on distance? I haven't fast traveled very far yet, but from Wayward to Charleston is like 5 caps, which is nothing, that's literally selling 5 poo poo items to any vendor... even if it costs 10-20 caps it's still very low, I am level 15 now and have more than 1200 caps, and honestly can't find a use for caps now (I craft all the ammo I need and I have way too many drugs, stims and food from just compulsively looting everything I come across, and I haven't found anything worth buying at vendors yet)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I did a quest and I now have a 10mm smg called perfect storm that sets things on fire. Super cool (btw, I hosed up and at the end despite having repaired the kidid thingie I didn't mention it to the nanny robot and just finished the quest instead, did I miss out on something useful? She won't talk to me anymore :( ), and I am still not sure if I prefer rifles or shotguns, I outgrew pistols now but both shotguns and smgs are great, and I only have a scoped rifle (the hunting rifle isn't great for mid range combat due to slooooow rate of fire and huge recoil)

Level 17 now and almost out of stash space :v: drat for a game that's about hoarding for repairs and modding they sure seem to like limiting your carry weight and stash space (but it might be me overhoarding, I probably have enough poo poo to last me another 10 levels without looting anything :D )

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 25, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vinylshadow posted:

People could always not hoard items they're literally never gonna use

Ha ha ha ha ha. No way.

(756/800 :ohdear: and no I am not about to pay real money monthly just to hoard more.. though it is incredibly hard to just ignore precious scrap and ammo lying around)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

At level 22 and running a sneaky rifleman build with a bolt action sniper and a combat rifle, but I also got the commando perk to use my perfect storm 10mm smg and later other automatic rifles.

I found a very nice automatic laser rifle, that's supposed to do as much damage as my combat rifle but with a much better rate of fire and range; it seems... underwhelming though, and repairing / modding it is a huge drain on precious rare resources like fiberglass, circuitry and crystal.

Is it just my impression, or is it actually better to stay with ballistic weapons at this point in the game?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I'm at the point where I have all my basic stats covered, I'm now looking at how my build might end up at high levels: https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/...f2lm2at1&n=Hmmm

can anyone spot glaring weaknesses or wrong choices here? I want to be a sneaky rifleman. I'm unsure of the Endurance stat+perk but since I'm not a big fan of power armor for this kind of build, every bit of extra armor helps... Also I might want to substitute commando perks for rifleman, though it shouldn't change much overall. As you can see I love the idea of crafting and might have gone a little overboard on that :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

i flunked out posted:

If you do go commando at some points I would get Adrenaline+Gun-Fu in Agility, especially if you're building around VATS (It looks like you might be w/ 4Leaf Clover and Grim Reapers Sprint).
Personally I only have one point in Endurance, but I have a full set of vanguard armor for when I'm using a high health build and a mix of bolstering and unyielding for when I'm doing a low health build.

I started out hating this new real-time vats, but I warmed up to it, now I use it quite often and those criticals can be a life saver at times, having more would be nice :)

Is the .308 hunting rifle the de facto sniper for the whole game? Or should I try modding something else to snipe the heck out of mobs (lvl 25 now, just started seeing some lever rifles and handmades drop finally)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks everyone for the tips and opinions, much appreciated :)

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I like having a couple rifles based on the situation. I generally keep one for sniping and another for mid-range and close combat. Hunting rifle can stay as your sniper through a decent chunk of the game, especially if you rechamber to .50 cal eventually. Gauss rifles are great for sniping too once you get them. Combat rifle or handmade can fill the close/mid range role pretty well (I mostly used combat rifle until I got enough mods unlocked for handmade from scrapping).

My current rifle chick has a handmade for general trashmobs, gauss rifle for bigger/tougher enemies, and two-shot .50cal scoped hunting rifle for sniping. Once I get more gauss mods unlocked I may switch to a gauss for sniping too though.

Yes I'm currently sporting a heavily modded .308 hunting rifle with a long scope (even though I hate the sway and "press LS to hold breath" thing, but I'm not nearly good enough to accurately hit heads with normal iron/reflex sight from a distance) for the first few shots, then when/if they finally realize who's pelting them and spot me I whip out the combat rifle and plink plink plink their stupid faces off, it's very satisfying at medium range vs ranged enemies.

For close combat with melee enemies it still lacks either punch or rate of fire though, I think it's because I don't have nearly enough mods unlocked so it's pretty basic, just a long barrel, reflex sight and precise stock. If I'm not outnumbered I actually prefer using the sniper rifle with "unaimed" VATS headshots at close range with its huge base damage rather than the combat rifle, the only time that won't work is when I'm confronted with a bunch of mobs that rush me, then I go back to my Perfect Storm 10mm SMG, it gets rid of feral ghouls and bruiser blood eagles in a hurry but it's only level 10 and chews through ammo quite quickly since base damage is so low, I have to find a better close combat option ASAP.

My guess is when I get into the 30s-40s I'll be switching up the hunting rifle sniper for a lever-action sniper and the combat rifle for a handmade or assault rifle, but that's still a fair way off :)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have found a very nice CAMP spot, south of Whitespring in the golf fields, next to a little pond. It's delightful and not many people seem to have taken it, except that high level people always roam around the Whitesprings area and so it's always full of level 60 mobs around :v: (nice idea to make mobs spawn relative to highest level around, very fair for those that are level 27 :v: ) but I'm very sneaky so I can usually get past them

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Patware posted:

I thought Whitesprings was always like that

I think there's some pre-placed mobs that will always be high level (lvl 62 charred feral ghouls) but a few times when I logged in and no one else was around, I found lvl 15-25 ghouls, stingwings and supermutants so it's probably just that it's a high-traffic area for high-level people and thus you tend to get a lot of high-level mobs

Found a legendary instigating hunter rifle, perfect for my sneaky rifleman build :getin:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

3-star sneak perk and 10 agility do a number on enemies. Mobs basically can't see me even if I'm right in front of them, I noticed though that they shoot in the general direction of the threat anyway so they manage to hit me sometimes, but my instigating hunter rifle w/armor piercing magazine + 3-star covert operative for 2.5x stealth damage makes short work of everything under level 40 (I'm 30 now). I just unlocked tank killer too!

Now to find myself another few things: a .50 cal mod for the hunter rifle because I'm sick of wasting all my lead making .308 ammo, a good automatic rifle (I'm grabbing the commando perks too, when you're faced with a bunch of enemies that rush you or can't maintain stealth against a bullet spongey enemy auto weapons are just great) and a huge stock of Calmex.

E; am I right in thinking that if you're not actively hoarding junk for some reason, death is basically meaningless? You don't lose caps, ammo, armor or weapons so literally the only downside is you're dropping a bunch of lead, adhesive or whatever is it you're trying to grab at the moment

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 2, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm already at 8000caps, I'm fast traveling around like crazy paying 15-30 caps each time and it barely puts a dent into my savings ... I lucked into 3 hard bargain perk cards just from perk packs and have pharma farma, always from a perk pack, so when I go sell my huge stash of excess chems and purified water I can almost dry out the vendor just with that; I regularly go on adventures with 10 stims, 10 waters and 5 radx/radaways and come back after clearing 2-3 locations with 2-3x that.. it adds up quickly).

I guess that will change once I'm level 50 and it will make sense to actually purchase expensive plans and stuff, but for now I feel very rich :D

Also I have to get rid of a bunch of junk, I think I have 1000 steel scraps and that's a bit excessive

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm now level 37 and not sweating it, found a nice 3-star robot armor leg that gives me +1 luck, +DR when I'm at full health and another effect I can't remember now, wearing a hodgepodge of various armor pieces I found and for weapons I'm still sporting a lvl20 instigating hunting rifle as my main weapon and a lvl30 heavily modded combat rifle, I didn't even bother leveling the rifleman perks yet, I have both the available ones but at 1 star. I also got the 2 commando perks available at my level but still haven't bothered much with automatics because a) I can't find handmades or assault rifles to scrap and get mods, b) 5.56 ammo is disgustingly rare and I just now unlocked the ammosmith perk which should allow me to make some more; even with semi-auto weapons that use common ammo I'm always starving for it .... well not really, I have like 250 .308 rounds and 600 .45 rounds, but that's with semiautos and crafting ammo every time I get back to CAMP.

I kinda want to try putting an auto receiver on the combat rifle though, I just recently unlocked a powerful automatic receiver which only reduces damage from 47 to 43 but doubles fire rate, that should be fun if I can craft/find/buy a lot of .45 cal rounds.

Still somehow managing to have fun with the game!

E; also I made a recon scope for my hunting rifle but besides being in b&w (which is kinda cool), it doesn't do anything; never marked an enemy by itself, should I be pushing some button or something?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 12, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In the last month I've played almost every day, and I literally never interacted with anyone beyond using the "hello" emote (after 30 seconds of awkward fiddling with the stupid emote menu)

I go to events, people don't even acknowledge you usually, you all just shoot monsters and get rewarded if you don't fail. I have pacifist mode on but no one even tried to shoot me, ever. It's been ... quiet. I actually wish sometimes people would try and interact a bit more, which feels strange to me because I just wanted Fallout 5 really

also Fallout 1st is terribly expensive for a thing that gates content that should really be there for free in the first place but that's just my opinion

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Endgame is finishing the quests, exploring the places you want, have fun shooting mobs (or other players) and doing events... and that might be it? I'm not there yet but I mean, in a normal offline RPG you just finish the story, explore the map, and once you're bored that's it. Maybe restart and make different choices during quests?

I don't know why people expect an online game, especially one with no subscription fee, to automatically provide endless entertainment; I've already played something like 40 hours and I'm lvl 37, I think I have another 20-30 hours in front of me before even getting to the "end" and having my build with all the perks I want (nevermind that I only explored like 1/5th of the map yet, there's plenty of places I haven't been even in the forest) and by then I'll have got my money's worth twice over. Then I could start another character, or abandon the game and go play something else, it's just the nature of things :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be glad if they made the game more enjoyable at high levels, but I find it super weird that no one expects most offline games to provide literal infinite hours of enjoyment, but somehow online games are expected to do just that and possibly for free. Fallout 76 might have been a bad game at release, right now it's an OK game that you can find for 20€ or so and at that price it's definitely worth it if you like Bethesda games, but it's still an RPG at its core, not a balanced competitive shooter and definitely not an MMO.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

eric ciaramella posted:

I was expecting a certain amount of halfassedness on 76 but the least they could have done is licensed good new songs. at least I haven't heard uranium fever yet.

The songs that are there are very good, but they're way too few. I can't imagine 50s music, or 50s sounding music, is hard or especially expensive to license nowadays and I'd honestly pay for a "more songs" DLC because there's only so many times you can listen to Mr Sandman or Uranium (both are permanently stuck in my head now btw)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Stealth kinda breaks the game in pure fallout tradition.

Today I killed a level 50 Mirelurk queen and a level 50 behemoth (while at level 40) because they literally couldn't see me, they made a few steps in my direction them couldn't see me and walked back where they were. It took a big amount of .45 rounds since they're bullet sponges but that sweet xp...

Level 45 now, this double XP weekend will probably see me finalize my build finally - well I will still have perks to get but stats wise and I can start going after named weapons like the fixer as soon as I hit 50. I still can't find a reason to give up my lvl20 instigating hunting rifle (now .50 cal because it's so easy to make that ammo), with the double damage it still hits WAY harder than a lvl 40 hunting rifle can, and I haven't seen a lever action rifle since like level 25?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My level 20 instigating .50 refined hunting sniper rifle is still my best weapon... 109 damage after perks vs the 139 of a lvl50 hunting rifle, but the double damage on full health enemies is huge, .50 ammo is basically free since you can craft something silly like 150 for just 10 lead, and I can switch to my auto handmade or auto Fixer (btw making guns automatic with good receivers is basically a straight upgrade over semiautomatic rifles, they rule, recoil isn't that bad with a few mods and you can VATS all day long, great with grim reaper, 4 leaf clover and better criticals :getin: ) for enemies that don't go down in one-two hits.

I bought plans for the lever rifle to see if it will dislodge my hunting rifle as sniper weapon but I kinda doubt it. Also I have a gauss rifle saved up, waiting to find more to scrap for mods...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you like Fallout 4?

Actually I didn't really like Fallout 4 and found it pretty bad compared 3 and New Vegas, but I'm enjoying Fallout 76 a great deal. I find the quests, both old and new ones, more interesting, and the exploration/world design much better. I'm not a lore fanatic though, I enjoyed Fallout 2 in all its wacky glory so :shrug:

Of course it has faults, even some big ones. But all considered I've played many worse games.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Just wait until you get the chinese stealth armor :)
Chameleon effect while sneaking (even while moving) and 1000 rad resist

I loooove the stealth armor, but I'm used to aiming with dot reflex sight on my not-sniping guns... and the dot becomes invisible too :mad:

besides the stealth armor I also have a "normal" armor set from when poo poo hits the fan (the stealth armor is decent protection but can't really match a proper set of upgraded BOS combat armor or better), with one legendary chameleon piece so I basically have the same problem whenever I'm not moving. That's pretty dumb and I'm not even sure if the chameleon effects has any effects on (AI-controlled) enemies :v:

BTW am I right in thinking that the tadpole quest is a horrible grind and ideally I don't want anything to do with it? I play 99% solo, only participating in events from time to time, and I see it will be VERY difficult to get the Kindness: revive someone objective done, nevermind the million challenges

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am officially post-scarcity (except for ballistic fiber and black titanium, I can always use more of those)

Stash is chock full of junk, I have 1500 ammo for each of my 3 main rifles, and I can basically mod and repair anything without even thinking, except my Chinese stealth suit because 18 ballistic fiber is not insignificant :eyepop: and of course anything requiring black titanium

Switching over to commando rifles when I do expect a real battle now but the lvl20 instigating .50 hunting rifle is still my go-to rifle for mobs, 500 damage for the first sneak hit is pretty awesome.

Thinking of making a new character for melee/heavy guns because stealthing around is safe but can be a bit boring

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dravs posted:

So I completely ran out of disease cures and can't find any more for the life of me. Just constantly running around with bone worms, rad worms etc and can do nothing about it.

The ones you can craft that say disease cure (forest), can I use them anywhere or do they only work in the zones next to their name or something?

Also I got a 2* marksman rifle that does double damage when things are full health and +33% limb damage. Stacking multipliers I have hit things for well over 1k, it's great.

woah. That marksman rifle could potentially carry you through endgame unless it's like level 1-10 :v: I'm still rocking a lvl20 hunting rifle with double damage when full health, at 55

VRViperII posted:

Just start to bend your guy in that direction. Don’t make a new one. Heavy weapons are a high level thing. So start some 2 handed melee, pump up your STR and by the tome you find some good big guns, you will have the resources to feed them.

I'm level 55 with all points invested in PER, LUCK and AGI, and only 3 STR and 1 END and if I was to change 1 point/level to get to 15 strength alone, plus all the new perks and assorted stat changes I'd need, I'm looking at 20 more levels minimum, probably more like 30-40... might as well restart :v:

and of course on my current sneaky rifleman character I keep getting legendary heavy guns, it seems incredibly rare to get legendary rifles/machineguns (except the fixed quest rewards)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 24, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dravs posted:

It's level 50 and I also have a level 45 2* handmade with +40% damage to enemies under 40% health or something, pairs up real nice.

holy crap I want your guns, those sound absolutely awesome, but I can't even find enough normal handmades to scrap for learning mods...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

bird with big dick posted:

Does anyone else get random frame rate going down the shitter, always when indoors (in an instance)?

I haven't really investigated it but it feels like maybe 10% of the time i'm in a "dungeon" I'll start dropping to like 10 fps. And I have an OCd 8700K and a 1080 Ti.

Not always when indoors, to me it happens 1) when my wireless controllery batteries are low, as stupid as it sounds 2) when someone does some kind of fuckery on the server because I change servers and all is well again

I have a very steady 60FPS all the time, then in the 2 cases outlined above it will just drop to super laggy 5-25 FPS without warning, either until I change batteries or server :shrug: it's weird

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Comrade Koba posted:

I've just recently started getting into this (currently lv.17) and I had a few newbie questions:

1. I love hunting for junk to scrap, but just like FO4 it seems like the ingredients you need for mods (adhesive, screws, etc) are intentionally scarce. Since I'm still leveling I'm always hesitant to upgrade my current weapon for fear of immediately finding a better one but then being unable to mod it because I just blew all my rare scrap on the gun I won't be using. Is it a viable strategy to just stockpile the scarce stuff until I become high enough level to find good legendary loot?

2. Is there some reliable way to check which level you're expected to be to do a given quest? There's no formal quest levels or anything like that from what I've seen, and it seems like just following a quest chain can take you to areas you're not even remotely prepared to handle (like the Free States part of the main quest where I got to go to Harper's Ferry at lv. 15 and fight lv. 68 Scorched and lv. 40 turrets). I've noticed some interior locations have an expected level designation you can see as you enter, but that's about it.

3. I'm currently playing the game on my partner's account, but I'll be getting my own as soon as well. If my Bethesda account is already tied to my Steam account (which I assume it is, since I've previously been using it to access the "official" mod store in FO4, which I own on Steam), would I be correct in assuming that I could play the game via Steam even if I bought the game via a (discounted) Bethesda launcher key?

1. you'll be drowning in scrap eventually, especially if you're thorough in looting. Go to your inventory, junk section, press the command that gives you "component view" and highlight those that you want to be notified of in the world (by a magnifying glass icon next to the object name). I suggest aluminium, screws, springs and gears, nuclear waste, black titanium, ballistic fiber and crystal and fiberglass too if you're into energy weapons, everything else is common enough that you can just go on a looting spree whenever you're low on them and come back with a hundred or so. I never had shortages of anything except aluminum, screws, ballistic fiber and black titanium honestly. Adhesive is a LOT less rare than in FO4, in my experience. I've started selling my crap in bulk lately because my stash was full, despite me repairing weapons like a madman and stuffing them with every mod I can, I still had more than 300 pieces of everything (except ballistic fiber and black titanium, those are drat rare).

2. just check where the quest sends you and you'll have an idea of the mobs' levels in that area (note: for areas without an upper cap, if some high-level player passed there recently before you arrived, you'll find mobs leveled to them, which can mean lvl 60 or more... be careful)

and remember that around lvl 20-25, if you've got good perks and gear, you can start punching WAY above your weight especially if you rely on stealth or critical hits, I used to regularly murder lvl 30-35 mobs around then.

3. steam as far as I know is a separate thing, a while ago they gave away free steam keys for those who had their Bethesda and Steam accounts linked, but I think unless you bought in that period you're out of luck? Someone else can probably give a better answer here

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 27, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I bought the handmade plans and started building/scrapping them for mods. Nice scrap dump, I'm back to having like 300 pounds of free space in my stash again

I also found an automatic Tesla rifle which is pretty awesome but it doesn't have basically any mods? Anyway the game seems to be pushing me towards commando, what with only giving me 1 decent singleshot weapon (my lvl 20 instigating hunting rifle which is getting really old and boring at lvl 59, despite it one-shotting basically anything short of the health sponges like behemoths, mirelurk queens and so on)

Automatic fixer for stealth + automatic handmade w/medium night vision scope + automatic tesla rifle looks like it could get me through most anything the game will throw at me, I'm heavily debating whether to forgo sniping entirely and slap a reflex sight on the handmade too since nothing sees me anyway unless I'm literally shooting them in the butt from two steps away between 3* stealth perk, 13 AGI and the Chinese stealth suit

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 28, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Tenzarin posted:

Yea the stash doesn't get weight reduction perks. Go through your junk tab and throw away like almost all your bone shards, glass, cork, and other less used junk items. Always keep gunpowder on your character, if you have way too much either make some bullets or throw it away.

About the junk, don't throw it away. Make it into bulk junk at a tinkerer's station and sell it at vendors, unless you're so rich that you're at caps limit and/or dry the vendors constantly and don't have much to buy from them anymore.

Yeah good thinking about the gunpowder, I tend to hoard it just in case but the real cap for ammo-making is lead and maaaybe steel, surely not gunpowder

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ah about legendary armor, I got a chestpiece from a quest that has "+5% accuracy on ballistic weapons", does that mean +5% in VATS or to the gun stats? Can't verify in-game now, it is noticeably worse in DR/ER than my BOS combat armor chest (60/40 vs 72/72) but that only has the pretty lovely legendary effect "regenerating", I'm wondering if an extra 5% accuracy could be worth it

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Tenzarin posted:

I'm pretty sure its vats because there's nothing else in the game that changes how accurate you shoot the guns but it could mean the accuracy stat when you change mods out also. And knowing this game, no one knows.

Armor DR is pretty lenient, dr will really only be noticeable to 300-400 dr and then it drops off hard and you need like 1k dr to feel any defense boost, from what I've read. So it's all pretty much reddit rumors and echos of a half dead game on the internet. I'm usually around 270 dr and 400 er and I die to a strong fart but I only have like 30-40~ hp depending on how anal I am keeping my hp right at 19%. I would say the legendary effect on armor would be more important that the dr it gives.

yeah I'm not quite topped out on armor, I think my best armor set gets me to 220DR/ER or so? so that extra 10DR/30ER isn't wasted for sure, especially since energy weapons seem to be what causes me the most problems (togheter with those drat missile-launcher-toting supermutants and mole miners)

I'll check it out ingame tomorrow, I have a long way to go still to get the "perfect" gear, I just run with a mishmash of whatever legendaries I found until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

During Fasnacht events I always see people not in power armor jump on top of roofs, like they had a jetpack.

Can I have a jetpack without power armor? Or is that some other thing they're using? Because I'd love to jump onto roofs.

e: while I'm asking, does anyone have tips for the final quest, specifically how to kill the drat cargobot to get a nuclear keycard? It moves fast on the map, and when I reach it, it then zooms away at the first shot so fast that I can't land any more shots... it's a pain in the rear end, I swear I tried 20 times but never managed to kill it

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 5, 2020